Reports of abuse go up

Reports of abuse go up

There are 26 comments on the Newsday.com story from Jan 18, 2006, titled Reports of abuse go up. In it, Newsday.com reports that:

Reports of child abuse or neglect in the metropolitan area following the horrific death last Wednesday of a 7-year old Brooklyn girl have jumped dramatically, with New York City calls alone increasing by 35 ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Felicity VanSluytman

Brooklyn, NY

#1 Jan 18, 2006
I am so saddened by this child's death, i dont know the child and i dont know her family but it affected me greatly. I am a mother and a single mother and i struggle in this country as an illegal aillant of United States to take care of my child, i sacrified a lot i could see myself abusing my child who didn't ask to come into this world. Their is no excuse for the mother been a victim in this country their is so much help, if she wanted help she could of gotten it, that is why i cna agree that she was part of this abuse. i hope she rots in hell and everyday of her life the horror life that Nixzmary lived plays in her head and send her crazy. i have so sympathy for the biological father either he took care of her for 3 years, the mother and you went separate ways but you should still done your job as a father, i feel no family member father nor grandmother should get these children, they should of done that before they had their chances, they have lost it. I pray that her sibling will be placed in a decent home where they can be loved and cared for, let be no more abuse for these children. I hope pray that their sister Nixzmary will be their guardian angel and she would pray for them and watch over them. May her soul rest in peace.
queenmia

United States

#2 Jan 18, 2006
Felicity VanSluytman wrote:
I am so saddened by this child's death, i dont know the child and i dont know her family but it affected me greatly. I am a mother and a single mother and i struggle in this country as an illegal aillant of United States to take care of my child, i sacrified a lot i could see myself abusing my child who didn't ask to come into this world. Their is no excuse for the mother been a victim in this country their is so much help, if she wanted help she could of gotten it, that is why i cna agree that she was part of this abuse. i hope she rots in hell and everyday of her life the horror life that Nixzmary lived plays in her head and send her crazy. i have so sympathy for the biological father either he took care of her for 3 years, the mother and you went separate ways but you should still done your job as a father, i feel no family member father nor grandmother should get these children, they should of done that before they had their chances, they have lost it. I pray that her sibling will be placed in a decent home where they can be loved and cared for, let be no more abuse for these children. I hope pray that their sister Nixzmary will be their guardian angel and she would pray for them and watch over them. May her soul rest in peace.
This will not be the last child to die from abuse, this has been happening for so long. It's a disgrace that nothing is ever done. sure while this is in the public eye the city says they will change things, but guess what, they have said this time and time again and nothing is ever done. you'll see, there will be others. I too hope these parents rot in hell. this poor child is finally at peace. her own grandmother left her there to die. She could have notified the authorities, even the neighbors, the only one who tried was her school teacher. Shame on all the people that didn't want to get involved. they are as guilty as the paretns.
James K

Provo, UT

#3 Jan 19, 2006
Personally, and I am sure I will catch some grief over this comment.. But I think before people are able to take there child home they must complete a parenting class.. I mean have you seen how some of these children are raised now a days.. Heck I even seen a parent IN PUBLIC curse there 5 year old kid out.. So I personally do not think requiring people who have children to take a parenting class before they can take there child home.. What is the harm?! Nothing it will help them it will help keep families together and MOST importantly it wil help help ensure the child is raised properly...
Bjs

Lebanon, OR

#4 Jan 20, 2006
Do you really believe that a man who is capable of tieing a 7-year-old to a chair, starving her, raping her, and beating her to death needs a CLASS to tell him not to do that? Is he ignorant? Or is he just plain EVIL? I believe the latter. My husband is a school counselor and sees EVIL parents who know better all the time.
James K wrote:
Personally, and I am sure I will catch some grief over this comment.. But I think before people are able to take there child home they must complete a parenting class.. I mean have you seen how some of these children are raised now a days.. Heck I even seen a parent IN PUBLIC curse there 5 year old kid out.. So I personally do not think requiring people who have children to take a parenting class before they can take there child home.. What is the harm?! Nothing it will help them it will help keep families together and MOST importantly it wil help help ensure the child is raised properly...
James K

Provo, UT

#5 Jan 20, 2006
No of course not... But I think things may be more preventable knowing someone is capable of carinf for a child.. What the guy did is inexusable and will probably get killed in jail.. Thats life.. I am looking more twards the future neglect and abuse parents wither that be verbal of physical.. If they are taught how to properly vent there anger then maybe they will not take it out on there loved ones...
Wellwisher

Buenos Aires, Argentina

#6 Jan 20, 2006
Iīm with James K. Small steps to fix the larger but less visible problem. Only, I donīt think a class will help too much because there canīt be a final test and failure still results in a kid going home with his parents. The problem goes back to a primary eroding of values. People donīt see any reason to make sacrifices for their families. People donīt make the effort to teach their kids to be happy contributing members of society.
The question is how to kwell the flood on the smaller scale. How do you punish a parent for treating their child bad but not out right abusing them?
You really canīt. People have to learn to do it themselves. Perhaps mandatory weekly counciling for several months after having a child and again at the five and ten year marks could help parents out and ensure happier childhoods. Plus adusers would be caught by the councillors and kids could be saved.
James K

Provo, UT

#7 Jan 20, 2006
Even better.. I do not know what is the right answer but I am sure we all can agree something has to (make that) must be done.. There are far to many split up families and families with some major problems.. Is what I am doing correct.. In my eyes yes, in others no.. But we all have our own style of parenting I suppose.. I guess what it boils down to is what you had said family values. I mean I find it hard to beleive that so many people have lost there family values over the years.. But let me ask you this.. What kind of values are we setting for our children when we raise them in a broken home? I mean there has to be some dramitic impact on the child.. How else did things turn out so bad.. I do not know what the right answer is here. But what I am certain about is that something has to be done now...
fopt

AOL

#8 Jan 22, 2006
The biggest problem facing our society is that ovaries and testes develop irregardless of how low someone's intelligence and character lies
James K

Provo, UT

#9 Jan 23, 2006
LOL! Well perhaps..:) But I dont think that is the base of the problem.. I myself had a child at the ripe age of 16.. While I will not say it was the best decision in my life. Never the less it was a decision that I had made.. Maybe it is a persons values that cause him / her to stick around.. But something should be instilled into these parents to help them along there way.. Take for example your first child. Now you have 2 people who are used to the single life with little to no responsibilities. You can get drunk and stay out all night.. That changes with a child.. Now you have someone to care for both financially, and emotionally. I beleive it is the males / dad's role to not only provide for there childs well being but the well being of the mother as well. Perhaps that is a responsibility most are not willing to undertake. After all it is not in our nature to swallow our pride on what may seem like a daily basis. But it does in fact have to be done to ensure the stability of the family..
JODA

AOL

#10 Jan 24, 2006
I agree, not only a parenting class, they should have to get a license like we have to get for driving. There's some real idiots out there walking around trailing 3,4,5 kids before they're even 25 years old.
James K wrote:
James K

Provo, UT

#11 Jan 24, 2006
Well you are talking to a 34 year old with 6 kids... :) I know no offense taken.. And before you think it.. Nope no Social Services.. But I do get where you are coming from.. Well I do not know about a license.. But who knows maybe that would be a good idea in some cases.. What I mean is, If you met someone and wanted or even thought about having kids with them it would be nice to know who the person is (In a family role that is.) I mean if I was a woman I would want to know that the person I am about to engage with has 7 kids with 7 different women.. Well.. ok stupid idea.. But maybe there are some benefits that could come of it..
S in Milton

Hurleyville, NY

#12 Jan 26, 2006
i am so upset over the fate of poor NixMary. i will keep her in my prayers. I have a niece a little younger than her who
has an unfit mother. she's in North Carolina and I'm here in Milton. I have reported her mother a couple of times to CPS. My niece had in the past had bruises, scratches and appeared malnourished when she came for her infrequent visits with her father(my brother). I love my niece as much as my own new little one who is a year old. I raised my niece the first 2 years of her life, and she wasa happy content baby. Her mother took her to NC and left my brother and that childs life waas never the same. I'm haunted because the system I thought could help her just doesn't want to be thorough and do their job.

So I pray everyday that she doesn't end up like little NixMary. May the angels watch them both.
EDG

Brooklyn, NY

#13 Jan 27, 2006
Unfit parents are a large part of the problem but unfit Social Service workers and dept. heads are a larger part. I get so sick of the pass the buck excusses after any of these poor childern make the headlines. How hard is it to know right from wrong? How can so many people with "degrees" not have common sense? Stop whining about how the system over works you. If it doesn't work get a pair of balls behind you and bring it to the news media. Don't tell me they won't investigate. The truth is the workers and addministraiters are as responsible as the parents. Because they know the problems and keep thier mouth's shut. May you all sleep tonight knowing you didn't care enough to step up to the plate. It was easier to not rock the boat. Be one of the mindless sheep that disgraces this country Social Services Dept.
Kathy

Rochester, NY

#14 Jan 28, 2006
How about going through the adoption process...10 weeks of classes and having people go through your home and paying them to do this.. going to first-aid and cpr courses.. and having to put in 12 hours a year to going to classes as a requirement.. and then they say that now you have to take a parenting class... and for what ? Why you don't have child of your own... If I could have children I wouldn't be doing this... We are tired and sick about the abuse that we see everyday in the world. But that is not getting to change right now... It's funny that the people that want a child can't and have a hard time getting them and those that have children can have them and abuse them.... So look around people and think about it.....
Trinisoul

Scottsdale, AZ

#15 Jan 31, 2006
I agree with you, they need some type of parenting clas or something before they should even consider having kids. I have nine kids of my own, times were rough but I never one day abused any of them, I made a lot of sacrifices for them and I am still doing it to this day. Those people should be removed and never allowed to be near kids again.
James K wrote:
Trinisoul

Scottsdale, AZ

#16 Jan 31, 2006
I agree, she should have gotten help, I myself was a single mother with nine kids and I struggled her as an alien myself. I put myself through college, although it took me over 15 yrs to get my PHd. I made it and thank God, My kids were never abused.
Felicity VanSluytman wrote:
James K

Provo, UT

#17 Feb 1, 2006
If they make you go through all of that just to adopt a kid why not have something similiar to have one of your own.. Adoption, is thankfully something I never had to go through.. Just hearing about all the hoops you must jump though is sickening..
Kathy wrote:
How about going through the adoption process...10 weeks of classes and having people go through your home and paying them to do this.. going to first-aid and cpr courses.. and having to put in 12 hours a year to going to classes as a requirement.. and then they say that now you have to take a parenting class... and for what ? Why you don't have child of your own... If I could have children I wouldn't be doing this... We are tired and sick about the abuse that we see everyday in the world. But that is not getting to change right now... It's funny that the people that want a child can't and have a hard time getting them and those that have children can have them and abuse them.... So look around people and think about it.....
James K

Provo, UT

#18 Feb 1, 2006
9 kids! Wow I thought I was bad with 6..:) But I see in another message you mannaged to get your P.H.D. as well.. There is a lot to be said for someone like yourself.. It sickens me to see these people with 1 or 2 kids and they are crying poverty at the local welfare office. Don't get me wrong, I beleive in a hand up not a hand out. And that is what they are doing and getting away with..:( I have a few neighbors who live on the services and not only are they proud of it but they laugh and brag about it to almost everyone..
Trinisoul wrote:
I agree with you, they need some type of parenting clas or something before they should even consider having kids. I have nine kids of my own, times were rough but I never one day abused any of them, I made a lot of sacrifices for them and I am still doing it to this day. Those people should be removed and never allowed to be near kids again.
<quoted text>
Trinisoul

Scottsdale, AZ

#19 Feb 1, 2006
My God! Same thing here, a lot of my neighbors are on welfare and they brag as well. I'm all for getting a helping hand when it's needed, but not to depend on it, use it when you really need it and then better yourself and your situation and move on.
I wish we only had six, then it would be a piece of cake.
Take Care.
James K wrote:
9 kids! Wow I thought I was bad with 6..:) But I see in another message you mannaged to get your P.H.D. as well.. There is a lot to be said for someone like yourself.. It sickens me to see these people with 1 or 2 kids and they are crying poverty at the local welfare office. Don't get me wrong, I beleive in a hand up not a hand out. And that is what they are doing and getting away with..:( I have a few neighbors who live on the services and not only are they proud of it but they laugh and brag about it to almost everyone..

<quoted text>
Kathy

Rochester, NY

#20 Feb 1, 2006
James K wrote:
If they make you go through all of that just to adopt a kid why not have something similiar to have one of your own.. Adoption, is thankfully something I never had to go through.. Just hearing about all the hoops you must jump though is sickening..

<quoted text>
Thanks James K,
I understand that it's a great responsiblity to find the right parents for these kids (and there is more kids than you and I know about ) It's for the safety of the children and the adopting parents... So I feel that in one hand it's great and then I hear about things like this happening and I get sick to my stomach.. about how long it takes...and how much we are looking forward to adopting... and some parents just don't care... Well good luck with your kids and may God bless you...
you certainly have your hands full....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Roslyn Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News New Rochelle Motorist Had BAC Nearly Triple Leg... 14 hr 33stenbrian 1
News Summer in NYC: Movies to watch under the stars (Jul '11) Tue Sip_paint_shop 21
News Over $1 million in heroin found stashed with do... Tue Animal Cruelty here 2
Review: ATM Real Estates (Jan '09) Tue Unhappy 28
Old Nick (Nov '08) Tue Paula 4
Old Freeport Hospital (Oct '14) Tue Paula 14
News LIer pleads guilty to $440K fraud scheme Tue Larry 1

Roslyn Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Roslyn Mortgages