No arrests in fatal hit-and-run in Roslyn Heights

Full story: Newsday

Nassau police yesterday were still investigating a hit-and-run in Roslyn Heights that killed an Old Westbury physician and had not yet made an arrest, a police spokesman said.
Comments
1 - 20 of 28 Comments Last updated Sep 11, 2007
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
G Czerepinski Flushing NY

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2007

Dr. Siegel was my fathers doctor for many years; my family and I extend our deepest sympathy to his family as well as his staff. When the title "Doctor" was created they had Dr. Siegel in mind. He was a professional doctor as well as a caring one. He will be deeply missed.
May he rest in peace.
Fran Mahler

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2007

Went to the service this morning. I was so sad and yet so sweet. I will miss Dr. Siegel. He was the most caring and devoted doctor I've ever had, and was sincerely touched by the huge turnout for him. My condolences to his beautiful family, which I complemented him on at every visit, he displayed their pictures proudly.

I hope whoever did this will turn themselves in just for closure for the family. They deserve that at the very least.

Too young, too good, too soon.

Goodbye Dr. Siegel, I will miss you.

Fran Hahler
Allie

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2007

I know Emma Siegel, Jeffrey Siegel's daughter. She is in my grade. I'm so sorry that this happened, and whoever did this get's turned in. He caused much devestation to the family.

Allie
anoynomous

Sag Harbor, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2007

I know Emma Siegel, Jeffs Daughter, and I feel so much grief for her and her family. I cant even imagine what this feels like for the family. I hope whoever did this is caught.
saddened

Neptune, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2007

I am familiar with that stretch of Mineola Avenue on which Dr. Siegel was killed. It is one of many areas of roadway in Long Island where drivers perpetually drive well over the speed limit, apparently with impunity. People are always racing to beat a yellow light or to get ahead of another driver, or to get home quickly after work to watch tv or whatever. As this tragedy has shown, it is time for change. Maybe "stop" signs and speed bumps need to be interspersed liberally throughout our roadways. Oh - and here's an idea - maybe police should spend as much energy enforcing the speed limit as they do giving out parking tickets in Roslyn Heights. Speeding can be lethal; parking in an undesignated spot usually is not...
anonymous

East Setauket, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2007

i feel the pain this family has because one of my relatives has died because of a speeding car. it iss time to make a change and enforce the laws of speeding.
Garry Wilbur

Ellicott City, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 10, 2007

Dr. Siegel was an active member on the Board of my temple, Shelter Rock Jewish Center. He was a wonderful man in every sense of the word and a caring, compassionate doctor. His loss is a great one not only for his beloved family, but for his congregants who he had tirelessly worked for at Shelter Rock, his many, many friends, his staff, patients and the medical community. A fantastic doctor, friend and father. May he rest in peace.
Ronald Wharton

Holmdel, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 10, 2007

This is absolutely horrible. Jeff was as nice a person as you could find anywhere. There are just no words that can express how deeply saddened everyone in the medical community is.
deb

Neptune, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 10, 2007

I believe the Town of North Hempstead bears some responsibility here too, in addition to the police. "The Town legislates ONLY and can not ENFORCE." This is a quote from a board meeting a few years ago when I questioned the wisdom of dropping the speed limit on Willis Avenue South of Mineola Ave. I stated then that it made no sense to waste taxpayer $$'s on new signs when the speed limit is not enforced at all. Understand that I did not vote against the lower limit rather very much for it however I vented my frustration with a Town Board that obviously has no authority over what they legislate. I was told by Mr. Kaiman that it was an improper forum for such a discussion and I continued to press him. He suggested I contact the commander of the 3rd with my concerns or even Commissioner Lawrence who was in charge at the time.
Ms Long Island

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 10, 2007

just horrible....
MARTY

Bronx, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 11, 2007

This is a tragedy. That area on Willis Ave(Mineola Ave) is always congested and the valet parking at Mateos is always dangerous.!
We want follow up

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 13, 2007

It has been a week since Dr. Siegel was killed by an uncaring driver. Newsday reported quickly the make, model, color and a partial license plate. Since those initial articles there has been no update to the public. With the amount of information on the car, the regional coverage of the accident (television news picked up the story) and the investigative resources available, how is it that Newsday has not reported any progress on catching this monster? Are we, the public, missing something or are the police and news agencies not telling us something.
Followup

Forest Hills, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 13, 2007

You want follow up?

There was at least one more accident this week on Mineola Ave about a block away from the hit-and-run under discussion. Police cars and at least one ambulance were present. I have no details beyond that.
roslyn heights

Milford, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 13, 2007

We want follow up wrote:
It has been a week since Dr. Siegel was killed by an uncaring driver. Newsday reported quickly the make, model, color and a partial license plate. Since those initial articles there has been no update to the public. With the amount of information on the car, the regional coverage of the accident (television news picked up the story) and the investigative resources available, how is it that Newsday has not reported any progress on catching this monster? Are we, the public, missing something or are the police and news agencies not telling us something.
I have been thinking the same thing,i live down the street from where this happened,My husband happens to be with the fire company here and believe me,there are far too many of these calls he goes on,very few get followed up on. I truly believe whoever hit Dr.Siegel either is a cop or knows one,why else hasn't he been caught yet with all of the info the police have?maybe the cops need to stop hanging out at the fire stations watching t.v. and actually do something to earn their new raise!
mark nd greg

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 14, 2007

we know emma siegel she goes to our school and we are really orry for her loss and hope dr. siegel rests in peace and that the person who did that gets caught
Mary Figuccio

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 18, 2007

I was a patient of Dr. Siegel's. No one enjoys going to the doctor but going to visit Dr. Siegel for an appointment was a pleasure. He never once forgot to ask about my son and his college plans or how my puppy was doing. We discussed our mutual families and still he gave me a thorough exam. When I was sick he would call the next day to make sure the medicine was working, no doctor does that these days. He was probably the nicest person one can meet. He was truely a devoted husband, father and doctor. There is one more angel looking after us.
anoynomous

Englishtown, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 18, 2007

my heart goes out for Dr. Siegel's family. we know that dr. siegel is a great man and he is in those hearts that he loved. people should be careful when they are driving. they forget how dangerous it is and how easily people's lives are in the drivers hand. Accidents happen everyday and I believe that nothing was intentional. I hope that nobody has to ever go through what dr. siegal, his family, and the driver...did. I pray for tremendous emotional strength for the family so that whoever did this will have the strength to do the right thing and turn themselves in just for closure for the family.
J M L

Miller Place, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 23, 2007

I heard on the news that the woman who owns the vehicle doesn't cooperate that they will never find out who the driver was. Which is first off retarded. The woman is speaking of who used her car that night. Witnesses say it's a male driver. But we all know witness statements could be smashed to pieces by a good attorney. So why not charge the owner of the vehicle with the murder charge. This is all you need.
1. DNA to match blood
2. Who's the owner of the vehicle
3. Was the car stolen? No? then who else was driving it? She will probably respond i dunno or nobody.
4. That's all you need for a conviction. Evidence
5. Then when the person whoever actually did the crime would hopefully his right heart would come out and tell the truth instead of seeing a family member goin to jail for there mistake.
aaz

Wayne, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 25, 2007

Hey J M L they're trying to find the real driver of the car they're not gonna take an innocent person and label her as the driver. Are you serious with that statement? Please don't make any more stupid comments like that on this wall post again u f***ing moron.
korehkhar

Ocean Grove, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 1, 2007

aaz wrote:
Hey J M L they're trying to find the real driver of the car they're not gonna take an innocent person and label her as the driver. Are you serious with that statement? Please don't make any more stupid comments like that on this wall post again u f***ing moron.
you are so cute aaz and very smart. you are right. don't listen they all are stupid.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••

Roslyn Heights News Video

•••
•••

Roslyn Heights Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Roslyn Heights People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••