Ackerman, Schumer to accept pay increase

Ackerman, Schumer to accept pay increase

There are 38 comments on the Newsday story from Jan 6, 2009, titled Ackerman, Schumer to accept pay increase. In it, Newsday reports that:

Saying members of Congress deserve a raise, Rep. Gary Ackerman said he will gladly accept the $4,700 boost to his paycheck amid hard economic times affecting the country.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Pfluger the Union Monkey

Needham, MA

#23 Jan 6, 2009
Check it out. They're doing fine, and they get fat pensions and lifetime premium healthcare.

Pretty good package for talking for a living, especially considering the 9% approval rating of the Congress.

http://usgovinfo.about.com/library/weekly/aa0...
Death and Taxes

Sebastian, FL

#24 Jan 6, 2009
At least Gresham Barrett(r) s.c. is giving his raise to charity. The others should be embarrassed but surprisingly their not. Remarks I have made on this and other post gave some people the impression that I hate my country I beg to differ I love my country, hate my government and this should serve as a prime example.
ohmyohmy

Brooklyn, NY

#25 Jan 6, 2009
I cannot believe they would accept a raise. The rich take care of themselves. Schumcker said he would vote for a bill if they said no to it? Where is the obama dude telling them not to do this. What a joke washington is. All schumcker wants is his name in the press, like all his worthless sunday press conferences. This is some example of how to lead --- with there fingers up our a __. last two letters are ss. we have ceos' now giving up raises and stock options, our employees - senators etc should too. But I guess its too expansive to live here in NY so that why they want the raise??? What about us -- who work day and night to live in ny and still cant make it???? bama wants to give us 1000.00 or 500.00, bs he should work for free, set the example, be a man, be a leader of the free world. this is so out of control, the end must be near.
oh please

Denver, CO

#26 Jan 6, 2009
ackerman needs the money/raise because him and bloomberg wrote out BIG checks to israel when they were there this week to support their war.

can someone tell me why they went there anyway??? how much did that cost us taxpayers?

shameful on ackerman and schumer to accept any raise when people in their districts and state are suffering.

“Let's go Yankees”

Since: Jul 08

Long Island

#27 Jan 6, 2009
In all honesty, I wouldn't mind them getting this raise if they were doing their job. What ever happened to representing one's constituents? They all do as they please, despite of what the people who they represent want? the problem is, they think they know what is best for us!
Megaphoney

Port Washington, NY

#28 Jan 6, 2009
oh please wrote:
ackerman needs the money/raise because him and bloomberg wrote out BIG checks to israel when they were there this week to support their war.
can someone tell me why they went there anyway??? how much did that cost us taxpayers?
shameful on ackerman and schumer to accept any raise when people in their districts and state are suffering.
I wonder if they paid for and ceremonially wrote their names on some of the white phosphorus shells being used against Palestinian civilians?
Steven

White Plains, NY

#29 Jan 6, 2009
Public servants have other incomes from REAL jobs!
paul

Edison, NJ

#30 Jan 6, 2009
Typical pair of selfish, greedy democrats.
save 7500 pesos

Huntington Station, NY

#31 Jan 6, 2009
When did the israeli knesset move into D.C?
Elected Imbeciles

Frisco, TX

#32 Jan 6, 2009
Ackerman says they are "underpaid" for what they do and deserve the $4700 increase in pay not to mention all the perks they get. How many slaves working 9 to 5 get the incredible time off from "work" that our elected officials get? I believe I read where they only "work" about 120 days a year. Lest we should forget those who were campaigning full time and traveling all over the USA for votes were being paid their full salary. Why do we always elect such greedy fools to represent us? And aren't most of them from the law profession and I think that says it all?
Knight of the Damned

Cold Spring Harbor, NY

#33 Jan 6, 2009
save 7500 pesos wrote:
Easily 96 years ago if not longer. Look what they have in store for us next.

They want to criminalize all criticism of their behavior. The 535 rats in DC will go along with it and the collaborators in law enforcement will jump on it. Nothing brings about revolution faster than repression.
Figures

Port Washington, NY

#34 Jan 6, 2009
save 7500 pesos wrote:
When Bush appointed them to his Cabinet.
Hmmm

Jamaica, NY

#35 Jan 6, 2009
Meanwhile, Sen. Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.) will take the raise, said his spokesman Brian Fallon, though Schumer likely would support a bill to rescind it, if a measure is introduced.

MAY IS SUGGEST THAT SOMEONE INTRODUCE THE "MEASURE" MR. SCHUMER ELUDES TO?????????
Rich against STUPIDITY

AOL

#36 Jan 6, 2009
Great example to set for the people who elected them. Take more money out of us taxpayers in a crappy economy.
Rich against STUPIDITY

AOL

#37 Jan 6, 2009
Then again...look at all the lives and money wasted in a meaningless war overseas by George Dubya Stoopid and his cronies. 14 days til we are relieved of his stupidity.
wray

United States

#38 Jan 6, 2009
Isn't that just noble thet HRC will not take the raise. I wonder how long she will keep her "NY" home.
chenz62

South Ozone Park, NY

#39 Jan 6, 2009
LIBERAL CREEPS!!!!!!!
Dennis Crosby Ret FDNY

Pompano Beach, FL

#40 Jan 6, 2009
why is it that they can vote them selves a raise and we can't. I guess that why they spend all that money to get elected oh yea I forgot about all the other perks

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Roslyn Heights Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
iLoveKickboxing Hicksville (Jan '16) 16 hr melody 3
News Tankleff half sister rips DA, says Marty's guilty (Jan '08) Apr 24 Kennymac 105
Review: I Love Kickboxing - Hicksville (Feb '14) Apr 24 Bianca mangiaracina 57
New Rochelle (Sep '07) Apr 24 babylady 3,381
News Nassau Cop Gets Community Service for Stealing ... (Jun '12) Apr 22 Anonymous 4
News Rape Arrests Apr 22 333stenbrian 1
Sammy's Inferno, Gardiner's Ave. off Hempstead ... (Sep '11) Apr 21 Elisabeth Vescovi 6

Roslyn Heights Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Roslyn Heights Mortgages