Ackerman, Schumer to accept pay increase

Full story: Newsday 38
Saying members of Congress deserve a raise, Rep. Gary Ackerman said he will gladly accept the $4,700 boost to his paycheck amid hard economic times affecting the country. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Polly Anna

Hicksville, NY

#1 Jan 6, 2009
another reason for term limits - the Senate is not the place to get rich, time for Ackerman to move on
Get Real

Somers, NY

#2 Jan 6, 2009
Polly Anna wrote:
another reason for term limits - the Senate is not the place to get rich, time for Ackerman to move on
Yeah, but it's not just Acherman. Everyone in congress will get this pay raise, even the newbies. Clinton's replacement will start at $174k.

Yet my company is hitting me with a decrease in pay and benefits siteing hard times. All congress should not accept a pay increase.
anonymous

Central Islip, NY

#3 Jan 6, 2009
They also are asking for the UAW union to accept pay cuts, when they're making much more than an auto worker.
me again

Plainview, NY

#4 Jan 6, 2009
Is anyone really surprised by this? Did you really think they wouldn't take the money? Come on, they're all scum. Even in the harshest of economic times, they will always take the money and stick it to the small guy...
Southbound

Overland Park, KS

#5 Jan 6, 2009
"I'm one of those who believe public servants are greatly underpaid," Ackerman (D-Roslyn Heights)

The $4,700 is nothing compared to the lifetime pension, the lifetime health care, and the peddling of influence that converts to cash from the private sector. Give these guys a break, it must be hard work bringing a democracy to its knees.... but we needed a change!
Artie

United States

#8 Jan 6, 2009
This just goes to show you how out of touch with reality our politicians really are. Where is my cost of living increase??? All I got this year was a salary rollback due to the current economic conditions!! Maybe THEY should get a salary rollback also to reflect current economic conditions!!
Jay

United States

#9 Jan 6, 2009
Nicely done. Even in disasterous economic times, even crooks get a raise. What have you done for NY lately, Chuck?

“Light tomorrow with today!”

Since: Aug 08

Long Island

#10 Jan 6, 2009
Yeah really, no-one I know received a cost of living increase. Not even a bonus turkey this year. They keep bailing out the big kahunas and leaving all the little guys in the mud.
Charlie the Tuna

Decatur, GA

#11 Jan 6, 2009
farking phony thieving scumbags!!
James

Brooklyn, NY

#12 Jan 6, 2009
I don't fault anyone, including politicians, for receiving cost of living raises. The difference to taxpayers will be insignificant. I have a *much bigger* problem with "public servants" accepting campaign donations from special interest groups.
just another reason

Bridgewater, NJ

#13 Jan 6, 2009
to set term limits, and to vote incumbents out.
Also the people should demand that budgets for govt's be voted on, and each part of the budget be voted on...
Rabbi Schlong

Waukee, IA

#14 Jan 6, 2009
Who knew????????
Attention Hogs

Fort Lee, NJ

#15 Jan 6, 2009
Care to step onto the stage for a photo op on this topic, Boyz?
Jay

United States

#16 Jan 6, 2009
Attention Hogs wrote:
Care to step onto the stage for a photo op on this topic, Boyz?
Get your rotten veggies ready!
Gotcha

Brooklyn, NY

#17 Jan 6, 2009
Ackerman's daughter got married at home plate at Shea Stadium. Has this ever happened again? Didn't think so.

Some perks can't be assigned a dollar figure.
sad

West Islip, NY

#18 Jan 6, 2009
What these politicians won't tell you is that they are worth milllions in "unspoken" favors and contributions to their coffers. They all have " friends of joe the politician" funds which are stuffed with cash from "friends." All things considered, they are NOT UNDERPAID!!
Some Leaders

Bayonne, NJ

#19 Jan 6, 2009
People are getting laid off left and right, inflation is soaring, savings are dwindling - so what do our "leaders" do?- they "gladly" accept a pay raise, rather than showing REAL leadership and share in the hardships.

If Ackerman thinks he is being "underpaid" for his public service, perhaps it's time for him to move on into the private sector where the big salaries and the percs are not guaranteed as they are when one is employed by the federal government.
Yebbut

Fort Lee, NJ

#20 Jan 6, 2009
Gotcha wrote:
Ackerman's daughter got married at home plate at Shea Stadium.
What was first prize?
Pfluger the Union Monkey

Boston, MA

#21 Jan 6, 2009
These people make me sick. Their incompetence is exceeded only by their hypocrisy.
pigs

Ballston Spa, NY

#22 Jan 6, 2009
they are a bunch of entitled pigs who think they are better than their constituents.

if you vote them out, they will still get all of the health care and pensions that they vote to give themselves.

and we'll have new ones who get all of the juicy perks.

It needs to change systemically. We need to be rid of the whole imbalanced system of government.

They don't serve us, they serve themselves, left, right and middle. It's sickening.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Roslyn Heights Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Oyster Bay surgeon Philip Rafiy acquitted in wo... 3 hr Charlie 1
East Rockaway man rescues, places wildlife in z... (Aug '07) Fri GET IT RIGHT 144
New Rochelle School Spox: Cops Came "at their c... Nov 20 333stenbrian 1
New Rochelle Woman Arrested for DWI in Harrison Nov 20 333stenbrian 1
New Rochelle DPW Worker Has Rough Week, Arreste... Nov 20 333stenbrian 1
Reservoir Dogs MC U either support 81 Sex offen... (Oct '13) Nov 20 Just Me 17
The Judicial System is a JOKE (Sep '12) Nov 19 Jeff 2

Roslyn Heights News Video

Roslyn Heights Dating
Find my Match

Roslyn Heights People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Roslyn Heights News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Roslyn Heights