No one outranks Sgt. Pepper

Full story: Newsday

Every few years, rock critics like myself are asked to mark the anniversary of the greatest album of all time, The Beatles' "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band." This year, with that classic disc reaching ...
Comments
1 - 20 of 99 Comments Last updated Jul 15, 2009
First Prev
of 5
Next Last
James Helm

Orlando, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 31, 2007

Yes, I too played the vinyl version of Sgt. Pepper and remembered back to the first time I heard it. It took me back to a time of wonder and imagination, a time when a group of 4 musicians created someting of such magnitude that it took many, many listens to believe something so new and different came from those who created I Want to Hold Your Hand.
But the real fun part in playing Sgt. Pepper again was "spinning" the Mono version! Hearing a different take here and there, feeling the changes and imagination throughout each track.
Some may say this isn't their best album, but the mind opening experience and musical landscape that was painted IS a Masterpiece!
NOTHING today even comes close!
Critic is Wrong

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 31, 2007

Chicago Transit Authority is the greatist album of all time!

Nothing compares!
Mary T

Plainview, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 1, 2007

Sounds like you had a FabFourboulos time. Wish I had been there. I have all the original Beatles vinyls in case you ever need one again.
Happy 40th Anniversary to Sgt. Pepper!
matt from Fear of Fred

Burlington, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 1, 2007

this is the best album of all time.

I can still remember when my brother got it for Christmas every time I hear "Lucy."

www.fearoffred.com
FZet

Netherlands

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 1, 2007

Ah,
I'd LOVE to hear the mono version again. Haven't seen that since 1978 or so when a friend of mine played it. I only have the stereo lp and the CD. Hope it (mono mix) will be released on CD, one day
Effigy of the Forgotten

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 1, 2007

www.suffocation.us

go there for Long Islands best
never liked the beatles

Levittown, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 1, 2007

Judged:

it's amazing how timing is everything- get a group that sing like cows to strum a guitar at the right time in history. At least Elvis had a voice.

don't bother with the hateful responses- you won't change my mind
Elvis was king

Levittown, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 1, 2007

Judged:

Everyone knows Elvis was the king of rock n roll
Barry Fleckmann

Toms River, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 1, 2007

The Beatles simply turned the world on its ear, musically-speaking. I remember the first time I heard, "I Want To Hold Your Hand," for instance. They said it was just re-packaged American rock 'n' roll, thrown back at us, but I never felt that way. As good as "Sgt. Pepper" was (and it was VERY GOOD!), I
always liked "Abbey Road" better.
The Beatles; we'll NEVER see the likes of them, again! I saw 'em, live, on "The Ed Sullivan Show," too! Happy 40th birthday, "Sgt. Pepper."
InnocenceLost

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 1, 2007

Those were the days. I can barely remember when SPLHCB first hit the airwaves--I was 11 years old. Hippies were beginning to come into vogue, the Pagans had yet to hang out at Nathan's in Oceanside, and a Sunday trip out on the island consisted of a drive to the farmlands in Farmingdale. Back then illegal aliens were unheard of, doctors made house calls, and fresh milk was delivered to our door. And given all that and much more, I'd like to say that it's amazing how much has changed these past 40 years, but I think it's more sad than amazing when one thinks how much we've really given up to get where we are today.
Flowbee Victim

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 1, 2007

Very cool how many of you remember the mono version of the album. I found one in a used record shop upstate in the early '80's, and I listened to the heck out of it, picking up on every difference I could from the stereo version I was so familiar with. It was scratched up as could be, but I listened right through it over and over. SP is a masterpiece among masterpieces.
Old School Mets Fan

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 1, 2007

I love Sgt. Pepper, but don't confuse innovation with quality. The White Album is better, so is Abbey Road. I actually like Revolver better.
FranklyMyDeer

Elmont, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 1, 2007

never liked the beatles wrote:
it's amazing how timing is everything- get a group that sing like cows to strum a guitar at the right time in history. At least Elvis had a voice.
guess you just had to be there.....
Frankie GG

East Rockaway, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 1, 2007

An historical rock n' roll album, in 100 years from now, this might be the only rock and roll album looked upon favorably. Of course, Mozart survived and is still enjoyed today almost 200 years after his death. My money is on the Beatles standing the test of time with Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band.
Like A Rolling Stone

Washington, DC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 1, 2007

Judged:

never liked the beatles wrote:
Agreed! I will take the Stones anyday.
John C

Hauppauge, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 1, 2007

Judged:

Sorry I have to agree. I never got the Beatles. I respect them for what they did for music but being 35 they were long gone by the time I started listening to music. For my money I'd listen to Iron Maiden any day of the week, but a better mellow English band is Pink Floyd. Dark Side blows away anything the Beatles ever did.
Tomorrow Never Knows

Holbrook, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 1, 2007

Happy Birthday Sgt Pepper! Thanks for "turning me on"!
Music Fan

Stony Brook, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 1, 2007

Although a great and creative album, "Pet Sounds" by the Beach Boys is still in my opinion the best album of all time. Paul McCartney has sighted Pet Sounds as the influence for "Sgt. Pepper's". I would rank the Beatle's album "Revolver" much higher than Sgt. Pepper's.
Twist and Shout

Mineola, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 1, 2007

BEATLES RULE! And always will. Can't wait to catch up to them some day in Rock-n-Roll Heaven...
Ming

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 1, 2007

The last chord of side two was designed to last forever ( but only if your turntable wasn't automatic). It was because it was recorded all the way out to the middle of the record and if your turntable was manual it would just keep resounding as the record went around and around. Try it if you have a turntable (disarm the automatic tonearm). Audio Psychedelia.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••

Roslyn Heights News Video

•••
•••

Roslyn Heights Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Roslyn Heights People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE