Macomb Daily : Fed up with boom boxes

Sep 3, 2007 Full story: www.macombdaily.com 19

Roseville homeowner Mark Roberts is tired of bass notes booming through his neighborhood at triple-digit decibels, and up his spine like a jack hammer, so he gathered support from more than 200 like-minded ...

Full Story
Jeremy

Port Huron, MI

#1 Sep 5, 2007
I do agree with Mr. Roberts it is disturbing with loud stereo systems. But it is freedom of speech and freedom of choice, if there is a ban on loud stereo systems, than I beleve that we should ban car horns, loud exhaust systems on motorcycles and cars alike, along with church bells that interrupt my sleeping, trians should not be allowed to travle on train tracks that coudl disturb my sleep, along with people should have to put silencers on all their guns when they hunt as the noise disturbs my slumber or relaxing time.... I can go on for hours about this topic,,, I am alot older and some owuld say wiser than when I was 18 yrs old and out on Gratiot with my loud sound system..... but if we ban them I will start a petition to make it illegal to drive a motorcycle with an exhaust system on it in the city of Roseville.

Thank you for your time
Jeremy
Jeremy

Port Huron, MI

#2 Sep 5, 2007
yes I was heated
Sorry about all the spelling errors

Since: Aug 07

Roseville, MI

#3 Sep 5, 2007
Well one thing is for sure Jeremy, the police are obviously paying attention to this, because in the past 2 weeks one of my husbands workers got a ticket for disturbing the peace (truck stereo), and another got a ticket for throwing a cigerette out the window....(never heard of that one)...both tickets in Roseville.
Serious

Saint Clair Shores, MI

#4 Sep 6, 2007
What a thought! Ban this ban that. I see a problem with society. I would not think of stealing away with ones peace. I mean, if your going to have any respect for others peace you have to lead by example. I don't agree with all the laws or do I think they are justified. I do know I don't like my kids hotwheels cars moving across the floor by themselves because some body is thumpin the hell out of my home via there stereo from a car at the corner.

Since: Aug 07

Roseville, MI

#5 Sep 6, 2007
Serious,

Thanks for responding. In the original article there is an email address for Mr. Roberts, he is trying to document the problem. If you have toys moving across the floor, I think you are EXACTLY the type of person he is waiting to hear from

Found an interesting fact this morning:

Between 1990 and 2050, the number of people with hearing and speech impairments will increase at a faster rate than the total U.S. population as a direct result of the aging of the U.S. population and our love of power tools, boom boxes and motorized garden and recreation equipment

There must be a whole lot of deaf people walking around Macomb county!
Jeremy

Southfield, MI

#6 Sep 6, 2007
Ok but seriously you guys
I would really like to find out a little bit more about Mr. Roberts. Does he own a Harley, or a muscle car? Those exhaust systems are just as loud and reverberating as loud sound systems are. Now I do agree the police should enforce the law more, but ban boomboxes .... come on now seriously.....

If this is the case are we going to fine and confiscate that single parent who cannot afford a new exhaust system on their car because it is rusted out and it disturbs me????

Mr Roberts please email me I would like to speak with you personally as I live in Roseville and do agree there is a problem,,, but I think your efforts are directed in the wrong direction...

o1neonrtguy@aol.com
Jeremy
curious

Saint Clair Shores, MI

#7 Sep 9, 2007
evanoff wrote:
Serious,
Thanks for responding. In the original article there is an email address for Mr. Roberts, he is trying to document the problem. If you have toys moving across the floor, I think you are EXACTLY the type of person he is waiting to hear from
Found an interesting fact this morning:
Between 1990 and 2050, the number of people with hearing and speech impairments will increase at a faster rate than the total U.S. population as a direct result of the aging of the U.S. population and our love of power tools, boom boxes and motorized garden and recreation equipment
There must be a whole lot of deaf people walking around Macomb county!
I can't seem to find much on this guy Roberts and don't get but two articles when googled. One contains a site with a link but the link is a yahoo group. That also failed on attempts.????

Since: Aug 07

Roseville, MI

#8 Sep 9, 2007
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
I can't seem to find much on this guy Roberts and don't get but two articles when googled. One contains a site with a link but the link is a yahoo group. That also failed on attempts.????
I sent an email to the yahoo address, if he responds I will let you know, or perhaps he can provide another address.........to be continued

Since: Aug 07

Roseville, MI

#9 Sep 9, 2007
I wrote to the address that is in the original Macomb Daily article, and Mr. Roberts responded quickly, so use that email address if you would like to contact him.

Don't click the link in the article itself, just copy and paste it into your regular mail.

Lisa
Mark Roberts

Brooklyn, MI

#10 Sep 9, 2007
Okay, what do you guys want to know? First and foremost, I'm not some old fogey ultra conservative who sits in a rocker all day and all night trying to think up what we can ban and ban this and ban that. I am closing in on 50 years old and I love music. I love rock and roll and I love it loud. The louder the better. But, there is a time and place for it. And this issue isn't necessarily about VOLUME. It is STRICTLY about the BOOMING, PULSATING, VIBRATING, IRRITATING BASS that is emitting from these stereo systems. I should not have to be disturbed or FORCED to listen to this. And, I'm not talking about 2, 3, maybe 5 times a day, once in awhile. I'm talking about all day, every day, all night, every night, 40,50,60 times a day or more EVERY SINGLE DAY! The people who live on or anywhere near Gratiot are unable to sleep, unable to watch television and when a boombox drives by, unable to hold a conversation. And face it, the inconsiderate idiots who blare their stereo sound systems and disrespect us all are BREAKING THE LAW! The noise ordinance in MOST cities state that under no circumstance can a vehicle audio system be heard from MORE than 50 feet away! These boombox subwoofer sound systems are being HEARD AND FELT, from 3 and 4 blocks away. Plain and simple, the law is being broken and we want the Roseville Police and the Roseville City Council to INCREASE FINES AND ENFORCE THE LAW! There is no need for someone to listen to their music this loud as for it to disrupt others while they sleep, eat dinner, relax and watch television or ANYTHING! I am sick and tired of being awakened every single night! Several times! It's out of hand and this has reached epidemic proportions. Hundreds, if not thousands of people are sick and tired of this. How would YOU like it if I backed my car stereo system into your garage while you sleep and turn it up? Every day and night? Several dozen times a day and night. Go ahead, roll up your sleeves and lets have an open debate. You won't nor can't win. We are going to silence these subwoofer boombox car audio systems. And take notice, many municipalities are trying to silence the loud after market motorcycles and Harleys. Laws are made to keep peace and civility. Laws are being broken. I follow the law. You have to too. Simple as that. Freedom of Speech and Freedom of Choice? Who's the idiot who thinks you can disrupt me while I sleep in MY OWN HOUSE? You think you can FORCE me to listen to music THAT LOUD and that disruptive? If my home stereo was up that loud, the police would give me a warning, then give me a ticket and then they would arrest me. So, shut up, turn it down AND DRIVE RESPONSIBLY. NOT in my neighborhood and not in neighborhoods or on main streets where people LIVE and SLEEP and have to wake up early and go to work.

Have a nice, QUIET week.

Mark Roberts
Consumers Unite
curious

Saint Clair Shores, MI

#11 Sep 10, 2007
evanoff wrote:
I wrote to the address that is in the original Macomb Daily article, and Mr. Roberts responded quickly, so use that email address if you would like to contact him.
Don't click the link in the article itself, just copy and paste it into your regular mail.
Lisa
Thanks,
I'll get in touch with Mark Roberts because I feel he is on the right side of the issue.

Since: Aug 07

Roseville, MI

#12 Sep 11, 2007
Mark Roberts, Founder of Consumers Unite, has just sent off a letter to the Roseville City Council and the City Manager. I tried to post it here, but it is too long for the forum.

If you are interested in a copy of the letter regarding boom boxes in Roseville, please feel free to contact Mark Roberts at:

consumersunite@yahoo.com
bantheboombox@yahoo.com
curious

Saint Clair Shores, MI

#13 Sep 14, 2007
Just checking around and have read a lot on this boom box issue. It has been pointed out that ice cream vendors are to loud.(LOL - but its true) I listen to mary had a little lamb chime go off at dinner time all summer long. Same for the guy who blows the grass off the sidewalk on sunday morning when I am having coffee and reading the paper. But I never hear the ice cream truck or grass blower at 2am in the morning. It just dosen't happen. I wish I could say the same for the "THUMPERS" Just plain ignorant wouldn't you say!
Mark Roberts

Brooklyn, MI

#14 Sep 14, 2007
You can't seriously compare the ding a ling music of an ice cream truck to a LOUD, THUMPING, POUNDING, PULSATING, VIBRATING, stereo system driving throughout neighborhood after neighborhood, with it's idiot driver showing no regard for anyone and everyone who might be sitting down to a nice dinner or to watch a movie or to relax or more importantly, TO SLEEP! Again, this is not about volume, it's about the booming bass this is not only heard, but FELT!
I have heard the argument about lawn mowers and leaf blowers too, and to me, that's another baseless, idiotic argument because these are things that we pretty much DEPEND on in life....we need this equiptment (for the most part)....and loud, booming, obnoxious stereos and inconsiderate idiots we can do without...and you still don't get the boom boom boom from a lawnmower or leaf blower......
curious

Saint Clair Shores, MI

#15 Sep 15, 2007
Mark Roberts wrote:
You can't seriously compare the ding a ling music of an ice cream truck to a LOUD, THUMPING, POUNDING, PULSATING, VIBRATING, stereo system driving throughout neighborhood after neighborhood, with it's idiot driver showing no regard for anyone and everyone who might be sitting down to a nice dinner or to watch a movie or to relax or more importantly, TO SLEEP! Again, this is not about volume, it's about the booming bass this is not only heard, but FELT!
I have heard the argument about lawn mowers and leaf blowers too, and to me, that's another baseless, idiotic argument because these are things that we pretty much DEPEND on in life....we need this equiptment (for the most part)....and loud, booming, obnoxious stereos and inconsiderate idiots we can do without...and you still don't get the boom boom boom from a lawnmower or leaf blower......
I know how seriously you take this issue. I was not comparing but stating what I have gathered from reading blogs. I too know the rath of the "BOX" I recently added an article about an "Inconsiderate Idiot" who chalenged the neighborhood after being warned by the cops. About 3 summers ago this happened. Thumpin along with out a care in the world. He passed by sometimes at 2 AM with the kicker on causing the dog to howl,bark & growl. Finally a he got a ticket and it subsided. However he thought it would be funny to drive by and harrass the homeowners on his way home from work. GUESS WHAT the homeowners got together and the day of pleasure finally arrived.
Along came thumper in his car and as he passed the homes on a hot summer day they just happened to be all watering their lawns. They gave him a cold wet welcome much to his surprise!(by the way he drives a convertible) He sped up to get away but encounted more hoses as the rain came down on him. The drenching continued for couple of blocks. Thumper hit the brakes and backed up to one of the houses on the end of the street and cussed out the homeowner. The men were ready and let em have it from both sides. A message was sent that day and they don't hear much from thumper anymore. He enters the sub from another roadway.
Understands

Farmington, MI

#16 Nov 1, 2007
I agree with Mark Roberts--I live in the shores and next to an disrespectful, immature young adult who's friends who have their stereos blasting, and don't care about the neighbors, or what time it is. It is very disrespectful----- I think it is time for law enforcement to crack down on these "idiots", and ticket them enough where they get the message.
Grumpy old golden glover

Roseville, MI

#17 Nov 17, 2007
Boy Oh Boy! I am with you on this 100 and 10 percent. Anything, and I mean ANYTHING which unnecessarily disturbs the peace and quiet of a neighborhood should be considered illegal. That goes for ice cream vendors, loud exhaust on any vehicle, barking dogs, noisy screaming brats, and especially these morons who spend hundreds of dollars to make their car sound like a rolling jackhammer. Most of us invest everything we have into our home and would like to be able to simply live in it without disturbing anyone or being disturbed. It doesn't matter if there is a specific law governing bad, rude behavior or not. Just because you think you have a right to do something doesn't mean it's the right thing to do. Bring me that petition and I'll sign it in a flash.
Curious

Saint Clair Shores, MI

#18 Dec 14, 2007
Come on GRUMPY ! You really don't expect me to believe you on this do you? I mean who do you and I think we are anyway? How dare we ask another individal to turn down the MUSIC when passing through a residential neighborhood. YES how dare we impose upon that individual. YES that individual with rights. We must be crazy.... and it has become appearent "WE" do not obviously respect the "Rights" of these owners of such "Property" I mean after all, why should you and I expect that we be afforded a "Peace" within the neighborhood we reside in. Just because we pay the taxes on the homes we own and we abide by laws governing our local municipalities. Again, Why should "We" be able ask law enforcement to ticket or detain an individual that exceeds the decible rate set fouth in our local ordinances. GEEZE Grumpy, I wouldn't want to tie up some Judges time on such a trivial matter would you? They may view us as disruptive or inappropriately waisting the valuable tax dollar paid law enforcment and court system!
Grumpy but enlightened

Roseville, MI

#19 Dec 14, 2007
Curious wrote:
Come on GRUMPY ! You really don't expect me to believe you on this do you? I mean who do you and I think we are anyway? How dare we ask another individal to turn down the MUSIC when passing through a residential neighborhood. YES how dare we impose upon that individual. YES that individual with rights. We must be crazy.... and it has become appearent "WE" do not obviously respect the "Rights" of these owners of such "Property" I mean after all, why should you and I expect that we be afforded a "Peace" within the neighborhood we reside in. Just because we pay the taxes on the homes we own and we abide by laws governing our local municipalities. Again, Why should "We" be able ask law enforcement to ticket or detain an individual that exceeds the decible rate set fouth in our local ordinances. GEEZE Grumpy, I wouldn't want to tie up some Judges time on such a trivial matter would you? They may view us as disruptive or inappropriately waisting the valuable tax dollar paid law enforcment and court system!
You're absolutely correct. I don't know what I was thinking. People should be allowed to spew obsenities both in person or using overpowered electronic devices in any public place at any hour they wish. I forgot that we have become a nation of inconsiderate pigs. And they shouldn't have to pull up their pants either. Thanks for the reminder. The police are much too busy handling domestic violence complaints filed by couples who don't respect each other either.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Roseville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Vitale has Rendered Himself Useless 4 hr Always was 2
Children's Home of Detroit's Grosse Pointe Wood... (Nov '08) 5 hr scott 129
What happend to the 2 cops that beat...... 11 hr Sharp and to the ... 8
Ted Whaby is responsible for what accomplishme... (Feb '14) 18 hr Old timer 228
News Briefs: Brighton Big Boy's closure only te... (Dec '13) Mon X customer 3
Ahern to resign over cash-payments scandal (Apr '08) Mon part puller 29
Coffe shop-decisions (Oct '07) Mon Smallie Biggs 29
Roseville Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Roseville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 8:43 am PST

NFL 8:43AM
Jimmy Haslam: Browns have to get a QB in 2015
Bleacher Report 9:17 AM
Jimmy Haslam Speaks on Browns' 2015 QB Situation
Bleacher Report12:23 PM
Manziel's Teammates Discuss QB's Rookie Season
Yahoo! Sports12:24 PM
Report: Cleveland Browns 'wrecked' by Johnny Manziel's rookie season
NBC Sports12:46 PM
Teammate: Manziel was a "100 percent joke" as a rookie