First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Dick Harter

Milford, MI

#1 Sep 6, 2008
TURN DOWN THE SOUND, is calling on all residents, living on Normal Street, Common, Glenhurst, Pasadena, John J, Quinkert, Park, Utica, and all other streets where residents are affected by the inconsiderate idiots who go to Roseville High School who CONTINUE to disregard Rosevilles Noise Ordinance by BLARING their car audio sound systems with the boombox kicker speakers. Every weekday morning, between 7:20 and 7:45 a.m. and every afternoon, between 2:40 and 3:00 p.m., the surrounding neighborhood sounds like a ghetto, engulfed in a continuous thunderstorm of pulsating window shaking disturbances and it has to stop! Please write us at:
turndownthesound@yahoo.com so that we can unite together to put the pressure on our local officials to corral these inconsiderate LAW BREAKERS! We should NOT have to put up with our neighborhoods sounding like the ghetto! We pay ENORMOUSLY HIGH PROPERTY TAXES IN ROSEVILLE! This behavior must end. They are BREAKING THE LAW! Our elected "leaders" and the police are doing NOTHING! If you were to place your home stereo outside, in your yard and play it at an equally loud volume as these inconsiderate idiots do, you would get a visit from the police, you would get a warning, then a ticket, then you would get ARRESTED FOR DISTURBING THE PEACE! This is no different, other than inconsiderate idiots are doing this all day and all night in our neighborhoods of the ghetto that is becoming Roseville Michigan, U.S.A.!!!
How about a new city slogan Roseville???
Roseville, the NEW GHETTO!!!
Cindy

Milford, MI

#2 Sep 6, 2008
I agree, this stuff has to stop. We've called police several times and I work midnights and TRY to sleep during the afternoon, only to be woke up during the afternoon school dismissal. It's a joke and so is the city. I live on Common and I'm sick and tired of this crap. We are the new ghetto and I wish someone would do something about it before I start throwing rocks.
Ray D

Milford, MI

#3 Sep 6, 2008
I am fed up as well.
Corinne Michaels

Milford, MI

#4 Sep 7, 2008
What can we do? I've called city hall, the police, my neighbor is throwing tomatoes and water balloons, and NOTHING is changing. These systems are as loud as ever and all of my neighbors and I are tired of the boom booms of these annoying car stereos. It DOES sound like we live in a ghetto. We pay incredibly high taxes in Roseville and it sounds like we live in Detroit. We need a protest rally at city hall. This crap has to stop before I lose my mind, along with my sleep!
Pete M

Milford, MI

#5 Sep 8, 2008
It amazes me that our city officials and the police allow such blatant violation of the noise ordinance already on the books. The revenue that they could generate by putting a couple of police officers out on Gratiot or Common would be mind blowing. They could definately send a message if they would write a few hundred tickets, each and every weekend. Instead of raising our taxes, START WRITING TICKETS! It truly sounds like a thunderstorm in Roseville, no matter where you live! Roseville is a joke, the leadership is a joke and these boombox stereos are a joke!
Steve

Saline, MI

#6 Sep 11, 2008
Mr. Dick Harder....... I can understand your frustration. But calling them inconsiderate idiots is a little over the top. I think the term you should be using is immature. I don't know how old you are but I'm sure that when you were younger you did things as a kid that your neighbors didn't like. Its kids being kids and that will never change. The only thing that will change is what they are doing. I think I would rather have our police making sure that murderers and thieves are off the street then kids paying their music loud. I live in Roseville and own my home and I have a ďboom boxĒ in both my cars. I have the respect to keep it at lower levels early in the day and late at night. But itís my right to listen to my music at the level that I want to listen to it. I donít like motorcycles going down my street that is loud and waking up my 6 month old, but I deal with it. Donít be the grumpy old guy that gets angry when people walk on your lawn. There are more things to worry about. And if someone was throwing things at my car that I pay my hard earned money for I would press charges for destruction of property with intent to do bodily harm. Imagine if you were driving down the street and something hit your car, you would freak!
Dick harter

Milford, MI

#7 Sep 11, 2008
Hi Steve,
I applaud you for having consideration for others. I'll even thank you. THANK YOU STEVE. The truth is, they ARE indeed inconsiderate idiots. Immature has nothing to do with it. I've seen kids as well as adults well into their 30's driving around "thumping". They are breaking the law, it's all quite simple. Our walls, windows and cabinets are vibrating from these idiots! Noise ordinances state that you cannot be heard from more than 50 feet away, and in all of these boombox cases, these jerks can be heard from 2 and 3 blocks away. I've been in contact with Mark Roberts from bantheboombox@yahoo.com and turndownthesound@yahoo.com and he has shared many emails from people who cannot sleep, who live near Gratiot. They've been complaining for YEARS and nothing has been done. In some neighborhoods, there are OVER 60 to 70 instances a day where people are FORCED to listen to these boomboxes! And trust me, it is NOT YOUR RIGHT to infringe on everyone elses piece of mind or OUR RIGHTS to a quiet and peaceful existence....trust me, it's not. You cannot continue to drive down our roads with your stereos up at such a high, disturbing, dangerous volume. If you get caught, you will pay the price because you are breaking the law if you can be heard from more than 50 feet away. What is it you people don't understand? I should NOT BE FORCED to have to listen to the thumping and vibrations that invade my house! Trust me, again, I love rock and roll, I am almost 50 years old and I love to listen to my music LOUD! But, if I were to place my 1000 watt home stereo speakers outside and I disturbed my neighborhood like the inconsiderate idiots who do so EVERY SINGLE DAY AND NIGHT....I would first get a visit and warning from the police, then I would be ticketed and then I would be arrested. You have no right to disturb everyone in your path, it's all very simple. I love to rock and I'm hardly a grumpy old guy...I listen to Godsmack and Metallica, Zeppelin, Chevelle, Breaking Benjamin...the louder the better, but not on my roads and not in my neighborhood. How about if YOU want to live in a ghetto, move to Detroit!!! The people who choose to disrupt everyone by blaring their boomboxes are breaking the law and you'll just have to find ways to not get caught, or pay the price and your time is coming because we are putting the heat on our local police departments and local and state elected officials to increase fines and penalties, INCLUDING the confiscation of your stereo equipment dood. I listen to my music loud, but I don't disturb or disrupt others, as I am considerate of others. It's called MANNERS, not anything else and most of todays youth and these idiots who disturb everyone are void of any such manners or consideration. How would you like it if I DID back my truck up underneath your bedroom window at 4 in the morning and started up my lawnmower? It's the same thing. To address your motorcycle concerns, they're going down too as many communities are beginning to outlaw loud aftermarket muffler systems and many are ticketing these motorcycle drivers as well. You just can't BLATANTLY disrupt anyone and everyone without consequences. If you inconsiderate idiots, and that's just what they are, want to listen to music THAT LOUD, why not put headphones on in your cars? That'll solve everything. Or better yet, just turn down your systems when driving on our roads and in our neighborhoods. It's not that difficult and you do NOT have a right to listen to your music as loud as you want. I know people who are pelting these inconsiderate idiots with small rocks, paintballs and tomatoes and I don't feel sorry for them one bit....disturb me, I will disturb you....eye for an eye dude.
Steve

Saline, MI

#8 Sep 12, 2008
So you think that you have the right to throw things at otherís cars? What if you do and I hit a kid because I swerved. Do you know whose fault that is? Itís yours. I donít think that an eye for an eye is quite right. If you threw a rock at my car, I would throw bricks through your windows. I donít think that people really want to start that so I would suggest that people not throw things. Maybe you should post signs on your telephone poles stating to turn down the music. There are better ways to solve problems then to cause violence. Unless you want to fight with a bunch of younger, faster and stronger 18 Ė 25 year olds. To answer your question about the lawn mower under my bedroom window at 4a.m., I wouldnít hear it, I sleep really sound and it wouldnít bother me. Iíve been pulled over for my radio in St. Clair Shores, I paid the ticket, and I turned it up when he turned around. Itís my car, Itís my radio and Iíll play it as loud as I want to. On the point that the police will take the radio, they canít. Itís my property and they canít take it because I have it up too loud. That will never pass as a law. Now saying that I should move to Detroit (the ghetto) is just dumb, I already live in the ghetto of Roseville. Take a look around you, maybe if you donít want to hear this type of thing you should move to an island. Itís everywhere, not just Roseville. Itís in Royal Oak, Rochester Hills, Canton, Plymouth and even where my up north retreat is in Alpena. I think that you need to get a clue and just deal with it. About turning down the radio when I get into your neighborhood, we live in the same neighborhood. So if I want to play it loud, then thatís what Iím going to do. Just be glad I donít know where you live. I would tell all my friends that have a system in there car to drive down your street all day everyday. This is a battle that you canít win. Most, and I stress most, most of us that have a system in our car, look out for the police when we have it loud. So when we see them, we turn it down so we donít get a ticket. Itís not something that you can see in the car. Itís in the trunk, hidden away from the cops. So you go ahead and waste your time trying to get ďthe whipper snappersĒ systems taken from them. Mean time, Iíll enjoy my music, my very loud bass. You can call me an idiot all you want, I wonít be able to hear you!
Dick Harter

Milford, MI

#10 Sep 14, 2008
Yeah, thanks for the omission and censoring Topix....this guy is nothing but an ass.....which, if you didn't know, is A DONKEY!
way to go, censor away!
so, you're not gonna know what I wrote now idiot above, but trust me, you come into my neighborhood thumpin' and a bumpin', I'll get your plate number and make and I WILL go file a complaint against you and you'll get fined again...I guess you have too much money for your arrogant, ignorant self....what a stupid f***!
Sharon

Milford, MI

#11 Sep 16, 2008
It is a damn shame that the city we live in and pay taxes in, Roseville, fails to see the consequences of NOT helping it's citizens in dealing with this ever growing problem. My husband and I are so sick of the booming going on in our neighborhood. Where did morals and respect of others go? When did it go out the window? When did it become an everyday and night occurance to bother, disrupt and disrespect everyone in every neighborhood? It's disgusting to be FORCED to listen to music that you can't stand. It's not even music, it's the boom boom of the speakers, there really isn't any music to it. It's just noise and the pulsating vibrations that is so annoying. When did common sense and manners become "not in style?" The cities could rack up millions of dollars in revenue if they would start writing tickets and confiscating car stereo equipment and selling it at auctions. We need action to shut these punks and thugs up, once and for all. I agree, you want to live in a ghetto, GO MOVE TO DETROIT!
Sharon M
Mark Roberts

Milford, MI

#12 Sep 16, 2008
Gee, what have I been saying for oh, about two years now? This epidemic of rude, inconsiderate behavior is only getting worse and until people band together and rally together to put the pressure on our elected "leaders", nothing will change. I don't advocate violence, but I DO know some people who are taking the law into their own hands and I DO know people who are so fed up that they are going to do whatever it takes to silence these idiots. Everyone needs to just chill out and obey the law and have consideration for others and to TURN DOWN THE SOUND!
Boombox lover

Australia

#13 Oct 8, 2008
you guys need to get a life, boo hoo you hear boom boom for 5 seconds as it goes past your house, buy some ear muffs, the loud music is not physically hurting you, hey better then someone throwing rocks at your house or a youth bashing you because there bored.
stop being some person that has no life looking out the window looking for something to whinge and complain about.
Mark Roberts

Milford, MI

#14 Oct 13, 2008
like your opinion counts! Just stay right where you are in Australia, because if you came over here with THAT attitude, we'd send you right back cryin' to yo momma! ya got that mate?
sickofit

Novi, MI

#15 Oct 15, 2008
Mr. Harter, as you can see, arguing with these people is futile. Somehow their rights will always trump your rights, in their minds. They will not be reasonable. Asking them to turn down will not work. Sub woofers need to be banned in cars. Start with asking your local police to put an unmarked car at the end of your street and start writing tickets. Your city needs cash, shouldn't be too hard to get them to do this. Your area needs to speak with one firm but reasonable voice. This must end. Be persistent but reasonable and calm. If you have a large, well organized group, they will have to listen. Don't give up. Don't go crazy on them. Simply remind any elected officials that election time is coming.
Mike

Eliot, ME

#16 Nov 4, 2008
Steve wrote:
So you think that you have the right to throw things at otherís cars? What if you do and I hit a kid because I swerved. Do you know whose fault that is? Itís yours. I donít think that an eye for an eye is quite right. If you threw a rock at my car, I would throw bricks through your windows. I donít think that people really want to start that so I would suggest that people not throw things. Maybe you should post signs on your telephone poles stating to turn down the music. There are better ways to solve problems then to cause violence. Unless you want to fight with a bunch of younger, faster and stronger 18 Ė 25 year olds. To answer your question about the lawn mower under my bedroom window at 4a.m., I wouldnít hear it, I sleep really sound and it wouldnít bother me. Iíve been pulled over for my radio in St. Clair Shores, I paid the ticket, and I turned it up when he turned around. Itís my car, Itís my radio and Iíll play it as loud as I want to. On the point that the police will take the radio, they canít. Itís my property and they canít take it because I have it up too loud. That will never pass as a law. Now saying that I should move to Detroit (the ghetto) is just dumb, I already live in the ghetto of Roseville. Take a look around you, maybe if you donít want to hear this type of thing you should move to an island. Itís everywhere, not just Roseville. Itís in Royal Oak, Rochester Hills, Canton, Plymouth and even where my up north retreat is in Alpena. I think that you need to get a clue and just deal with it. About turning down the radio when I get into your neighborhood, we live in the same neighborhood. So if I want to play it loud, then thatís what Iím going to do. Just be glad I donít know where you live. I would tell all my friends that have a system in there car to drive down your street all day everyday. This is a battle that you canít win. Most, and I stress most, most of us that have a system in our car, look out for the police when we have it loud. So when we see them, we turn it down so we donít get a ticket. Itís not something that you can see in the car. Itís in the trunk, hidden away from the cops. So you go ahead and waste your time trying to get ďthe whipper snappersĒ systems taken from them. Mean time, Iíll enjoy my music, my very loud bass. You can call me an idiot all you want, I wonít be able to hear you!
Sorry, Steve from Adrian, but you are indeed an idiot. First of all, if you have a "right" to play your stereo as loud as you want, why do you turn it down when the police are around? The answer is, of course, that you know you are exceeding legal noise limits. That's a tacit admission that you don't have a right to play your stereo at any level you want. The law limits almost all our actions in some way and for good reason. Second, you are right - or will be - about not being able to hear people's complaints. In fact, in a matter of years (it will come sooner than you think) you will likely have trouble hearing conversations and/or you may be cursed with tinnitus. How do I know? Because I suffer from it and believe me it ruins your life. Am I old? Nope. Not even in my mid-30s yet. Unless you like constant squealing in your ear and struggling to hear what people are saying, you will have profound regrets about the volume at which you listened to music.

But worst of all, was the selfishness displayed in your responses. Nothing about other people having a right to peace in their own homes. Nothing that showed you are a "neighbor" to anybody who lives around you. I feel sorry for you. I think you are very immature (notice your threats of retaliation). I hope you will grow up someday.
Mark Roberts

Milford, MI

#17 Nov 5, 2008
Congrats Mike from Brockton. Thanks for your support. These people are true idiots.

“Quiet Tasmania”

Since: Nov 08

Hobart

#18 Nov 23, 2008
There are many helpful links to anti-Noise, anti-barking websites at Australia's comprehensive Quiet Tasmania: www.quietas.net
Mark Bartos

San Mateo, CA

#19 Dec 3, 2008
To the pro boombox or "its my radio and i'll play it as loud as i want" group:

I understand your point of view regarding personal freedoms. However if you don't recognize the equal right others to personal freedoms, then you have lost all standing in this debate.

It's quite simple. You are changing the natural environment. Your decibles are entering the personal space of others. The level of sound that is being discussed here is clearly detrimental to human health. If you want to smoke somewhere and I don't have to breath in your smoke then I don't care what you are doing to your own health. But if your smoke enters my lungs - I DO CARE - and I do have a right to protect my own health.

When your boom box decibles rattle the windows in my bedroom at the back of my house as you drive by -- just imagine what that level of sound is doing to my and my family's internal organs.

So: I claim my right to ban your noise from entering my house.
Mark Roberts

Milford, MI

#20 Dec 3, 2008
THANKS MARK BARTOS! But ya know what is more frustrating that these inconsiderate idiot punks? Our stupid idiot so called "elected leaders" who want nothing to do with supporting residents' rights to a quiet and peaceful existance. They claim that there's not much they can do, but, they'll set up police squad cars in the weeds to catch speeders, but they can't do this to noise ordinance violators? That's bulls*** if you ask me. We need to start and continue to put pressure on these idiots on all levels of government, to raise the fines and penalties and to uphold the law and to enforce it to the fullest extent. We have to remind our "elected leaders" that THEY WORK FOR US!
write us at:
bantheboombox@yahoo.com or
turndownthesound@yahoo.com
thanks again for your support Mr. Bartos!
Mark Bartos

San Mateo, CA

#21 Dec 3, 2008
Mark Roberts wrote:
THANKS MARK BARTOS! But ya know what is more frustrating that these inconsiderate idiot punks? Our stupid idiot so called "elected leaders" who want nothing to do with supporting residents' rights to a quiet and peaceful existance. They claim that there's not much they can do, but, they'll set up police squad cars in the weeds to catch speeders, but they can't do this to noise ordinance violators? That's bulls*** if you ask me. We need to start and continue to put pressure on these idiots on all levels of government, to raise the fines and penalties and to uphold the law and to enforce it to the fullest extent. We have to remind our "elected leaders" that THEY WORK FOR US!
write us at:
bantheboombox@yahoo.com or
turndownthesound@yahoo.com
thanks again for your support Mr. Bartos!
Thank you for addressing this issue! In our city in Northern California I have been told by the police department that they don't enforce the noise ordinances because by the time they get to the vehicle, the violator has turned down the noise.

The logic problem with this is as follows: Typically one is stopped and pulled over on the side of the road when a police officer is issuing a traffic violation ticket. It's the officer's word against yours. If you go to court - the only chance to "beat" a traffic ticket is if the officer can't appear. Judges typically just take the officer's word against the accused in this type of situation.

SO...there must be some other reason that those in authority are afraid of addressing this issue. It would be great to hear from police officials around the country why they don't enforce these ordinances. What are they afraid of?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Roseville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Mich. Man Charged With Pimping Daughter (Sep '06) 13 hr Dieter 98
what did Vitally do? (Oct '12) 22 hr Billy Smart 118
Who do you support for Attorney General in Mich... (Oct '10) 22 hr Ann 126
Sarah Roberts and Sterling Heights Fire Union (Sep '10) Wed Iron Mike 21
Lexie Wed PRICE OF TEA IN C... 31
Pit bull bites 3-year-old girl on face in St. C... Wed Warning 14
Mike Kelly Wed Warning 3
•••
•••
•••