Uncle charged in crash death

Uncle charged in crash death

There are 29 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Nov 10, 2008, titled Uncle charged in crash death. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

Seconds after he drove his SUV into a Far Northwest Side house, Richard Gorney sat dazed behind the wheel as an off-duty Chicago police sergeant tried to resuscitate Gorney's great-nephew. Sgt.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Jen

Chicago, IL

#1 Nov 11, 2008
This is absolutely disgusting.

The saddest part is that because was intoxicated, it negates the intent required for a murder charge. However, I don't understand what is unintentional about drinking IN A CAR for 2 hours and then driving away with two kids in the car. Disgusting.

At least this guy will have his own very special place in hell.
Nancy Mortonthal

Rockford, IL

#2 Nov 11, 2008
Another alcohol related driving death. When will the our courts wake up and send these DUI CRIMINALS to long jail terms? These drivers are murdering innocent people on our roads. Drunken driving is becoming epidemic. Please, punish these people severely so innocent law abiding citizens will not suffer from their selfish criminal acts. DUI offenders do not need breaks, they need to be in prison, so they cannot murder.
Outraged

Holliston, MA

#3 Nov 11, 2008
This guy should absolutely be in jail for the rest of his life. Didn't anyone in the Chucki Cheese see this guy drinking vodka for 2 hours? Throw the book at him, especially because he is an ex sheriff's deputy who was "dismissed" my guess is because of drinking.
Jen wrote:
This is absolutely disgusting.
The saddest part is that because was intoxicated, it negates the intent required for a murder charge. However, I don't understand what is unintentional about drinking IN A CAR for 2 hours and then driving away with two kids in the car. Disgusting.
At least this guy will have his own very special place in hell.
truthurts

United States

#4 Nov 11, 2008
His punishment should be forced labor at a Chuck E. Cheese restaurant if they can't do the death penalty
Jack

Indianapolis, IN

#5 Nov 11, 2008
What a shame. But why is this Chicago Police Sgt. living in Skokie? I thought you had to live in the city if you work for the city.
John

United States

#6 Nov 11, 2008
What a bum!! How do you sit in your car and drink while your nephew is inside celebrating? Who is watching over the child in there? This is a sad story and this bum needs to do some serious time.
zzzz

Chicago, IL

#7 Nov 11, 2008
Last time I drank vodka at a Chuck E Cheese, I tried to hit on the band!
CITT

Sarasota, FL

#8 Nov 11, 2008
Jack wrote:
What a shame. But why is this Chicago Police Sgt. living in Skokie? I thought you had to live in the city if you work for the city.
You are undoubtedly a stone idiot for this comment. What the hell does this have to do whit the article?
CITT

Sarasota, FL

#9 Nov 11, 2008
I changed my mind after reading more comments from the peanut gallery. You all are undoubtedly a bunch stone idiots for your comments. What the hell does this have to do with the article? There is no humor in a tragic death of a young person and the judgement of an adult alcoholic.
No Mercy

United States

#11 Nov 11, 2008
No mercy for drunk drivers. He should be horsewhipped in Daley Plaza, tarred, feathered, then shot. Leave his body for the crows - er, pigeons - to feast on.
Jane

United States

#12 Nov 11, 2008
Jack wrote:
Learn to read. The restaurant was in Skokie. The accident happened in Chicago.
nancy

United States

#13 Nov 11, 2008
wow - that is sad - how can you just sit and drink like that and then drive with kids in the car? I can see driving drunk and that's horrible - but kids with you brings it to a new level
Cyclone

United States

#14 Nov 11, 2008
Why bother with suicide watch? Can't we just let him off himself, and save us the money and time wasted on a trial and incarceration?
Christine

Chicago, IL

#15 Nov 11, 2008
I feel sorry for the old guy. I'm sick of the holier-than-thou responses on here. Everyone wants to cast the first stone around here. It's an old man taking the kids to Chucky Cheese for chrissakes. He thought he'd have a few nips in the car and he went too far. Huge, negligent mistake. Those of you throwing rocks at him have done far worse or you wouldn't be so compelled to be offensive. Either that or your tiny world is nothing but blogs and internet rants to the point of not relating to the human race.
Murphy

Rockford, IL

#16 Nov 11, 2008
zzzz wrote:
Last time I drank vodka at a Chuck E Cheese, I tried to hit on the band!
Probably the last time you should have ever imbibed in alcohol.
worried

United States

#17 Nov 11, 2008
Jack wrote:
What diffrence does it make where he lives????
Rose

United States

#18 Nov 11, 2008
No where in here do I find anyone feeling sorry for the family. This poor family must be devastated.

My prayers go out to them.
Nancy Mortonthal

Rockford, IL

#20 Nov 11, 2008
Christine wrote:
I feel sorry for the old guy. I'm sick of the holier-than-thou responses on here. Everyone wants to cast the first stone around here. It's an old man taking the kids to Chucky Cheese for chrissakes. He thought he'd have a few nips in the car and he went too far. Huge, negligent mistake. Those of you throwing rocks at him have done far worse or you wouldn't be so compelled to be offensive. Either that or your tiny world is nothing but blogs and internet rants to the point of not relating to the human race.
If you are part of the human race there are millions very happy not to relate to your skewed thinking.
rlk

Chicago, IL

#21 Nov 11, 2008
Christine wrote:
you feel 'sorry' for this man?? he drinks heavily in the middle of the day and apparently has open liquor in his car and then tends to children??? you need to get on your knees and thank God it wasn't Your child needlessly dead. excusing horrible behavior is why we, as a people,are rotting from the inside out. no morals, no respect for ourselves or others, no discipline of any kind. sad.
Westowner

Chicago, IL

#22 Nov 11, 2008
I had no idea that Chucky Cheese served liquor. That seems strange.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Roselle Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: Asset Recovery Associates ARA Inc (May '16) 15 hr Charlie Church 75 275
News Islamic Foundation held a Rally for Unity and S... Wed Colonel Cracker 1
News look Villa Park Library could emerge from April... Wed Colonel Cracker 1
Renters (Jun '09) Jan 11 EYEspie 4
News Murder suspect waives bail hearing (Aug '07) Jan 9 Depooty 264
Singles, STAY AWAY from the DuPage County Fair! (Jun '16) Jan 2 snake eyes 8
News Suburban investor charged with bank fraud Dec 27 Victim 64

Roselle Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance