what happened at carol stream pool sunday?

Posted in the Roselle Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

“what's up?”

Since: Jul 08

carol stream

#1 Jul 7, 2008
my daughter, husband and i were at coral cove water park in carol stream sunday when everyone was ordered out of the water and soon after out of the pool area entirely. we heard mutterings of all sorts of things- mainly that a young girl was pulled from the water. we haven't heard anything in the papers- does anyone know what happened and if the kid is ok??
Local Resident

Villa Park, IL

#2 Jul 8, 2008
I don't know.
just a mom

Carol Stream, IL

#3 Jul 14, 2008
loves2garden wrote:
my daughter, husband and i were at coral cove water park in carol stream sunday when everyone was ordered out of the water and soon after out of the pool area entirely. we heard mutterings of all sorts of things- mainly that a young girl was pulled from the water. we haven't heard anything in the papers- does anyone know what happened and if the kid is ok??
The little girl is fine..she had an incident and the staff saved her life. She went unconcious, so when an incident occurs, they need to close the pool, until a determined time. God bless her, and the wonderful staff who was responsive and attentive.

Wheaton, IL

#4 Jul 15, 2008
I was doing a Google search for the Carol Stream Pool's phone number when I saw this blog. It was about my three-year-old daughter that was pulled out of the pool; blue and lifeless. She was with her grandma and two older siblings. She wanted to go to a certain area and was told "no" because it was too deep for her. When she noticed Grandma was talking to her older sister and was distracted, she bolted towards the area she wanted to go to. She thought she could walk on the deep water, assuming it was like the beach-entry part of the pool. She is three and full of independence and stubbornness, which saved her life I am sure. A wonderful man and his wife saw her floating in the water with her vomit floating above her. There are 5 stages of drowning and she reached the 5th one, which means that she was in the water for an estimated 2-4 minutes, without being noticed by the lifeguards on staff that day! HER HEART STOPPED AND SHE WAS CLINICALLY DEAD. She received CPR which saved her life. WE were not there, so we do not know what exactly transpired, nor can we judge how the situation was handled, but we have heard from people that the situation could have been handled more efficiently. I have nothing bad to say about the lifeguards or the staff at the Carol Stream Pool, but I will encourage each and every parent to watch your kids even closer than you have been…you never know what can happen. You can’t trust that lifeguards will see everything in the pool at all times. If that was the case, my child would not have been in the water for as long as she was. No one is perfect and everything happens for a reason. PLEASE – let our horrifying experience be a life lesson to everyone who takes children, any child to a pool. THANK GOD to the man and woman who did see her when the lifeguards didn't. It was because of that couple, an off-duty paramedic who assisted in the situation and Grandma (who immediately prayed Jesus’ healing blood over her lifeless body) that my baby is alive today). Her name is Eden and she is perfectly complete, with nothing broken or missing - thanks and glory be to God alone! This type of recovery is unheard of, given the grave condition she was in when she was discovered. She was in the Pediatric ICU at CDH and was cared for wonderfully! The doctors and nurses that first received Eden in the ER, the PICU nurses and doctor and the paramedics that brought her to the hospital will forever be in my prayers of thanksgiving and gratitude. She received the best care we could hope for, and my husband and I could never say enough for all that saved our daughter's life! Thank you so much for your care and concern. You have no idea how much it touches our hearts.

Wheaton, IL

#5 Jul 15, 2008
I don't know how the public received information about this event, but I am sorry - she did not just "have an incident"...she died, and was saved. I pray that no other child ever has "an incident" like my daughter had. Thank you for your post and your report; she is "fine" now...except for the nightly nightmares, emotional breakdowns, the tramatic experience of being hooked up with tubes coming out of everywhere and being in the hospital. With everyone's prayers and love, she will be fine; and through God's grace, she is free of pnemonia, brain damage and death, which all could have very possibly happened, given the amount of time she was in the water. I am not trying to be rude or disrespectful in any way, but please do not play down what occured at the pool. My child nearly lost her life.
Realist

Hoffman Estates, IL

#6 Jul 15, 2008
"Thank GOD"?!? If God actually existed, surely he would not have allowed such an awful thing to happen to such an innocent. How about thanking and showing appreciation to the people who actually played a part in saving her life, not some mythological being!

Wheaton, IL

#7 Jul 15, 2008
I am sorry if I came across ungrateful, because I am not. I guess me saying "thank you" was not enough. I was told by eye-witnesses that the lifeguards froze and that the person who helped bring her out of the pool and the paramedic were the ones who saved her life. The lifeguards have her CPR but I was told they froze. I probably would have too, if I was that young and was a lifeguard in that situation. I am even more sorry that you dont know the love, glory and power of the almighty God that I serve, love and adore. If you knew what He has done for me, you probably have a different view.
Tarvek

United States

#8 Jul 15, 2008
You believe God saved Eden's life, and that's all that matters. Don't let "realists" get to you. Especially on some blog. With the invention of blogging, suddenly everyone has a voice. Doesn't mean we all have to listen.
Caring friend

Elmwood Park, IL

#9 Jul 16, 2008
I agree with Tarvek...don't worry about what any of these "realists" say, it is your baby and it took a lot for you to put your story out there and correct what other people were "hearing".
It could happen to anyone and you are a very strong person to have endured that "incident". It is a good thing that you had God, family and friends to help you through that. And...thanks to that team of doctors and nurses at CDH! I am glad she is doing better!
loves2garden

Bloomingdale, IL

#10 Jul 16, 2008
oh my gosh! mammaoffour, thank you, thank you for responding. my husband called from work the following couple days asking if i'd heard anything b/c we were both so worried about your little one. our two year old daughter is also a fearless adventurer and your situation exactly is what scares me to death every day... i have tears in my eyes now knowing she's ok. Thank you god...
i asked carol stream park district for an answer on what happened and received no response and just couldn't get it out of my mind, which is why i posted. just proves you can't count on anyone but yourselves or whoever is responsible that day to take care of your babies.
bless you and your family and thank you for your response! I hope that little girl (and your whole family) continues to recover from her trauma.
charby Carol Stream

Orland Park, IL

#11 Jul 16, 2008
Isn't amazing that nothing was reported to any of the news bureaus, especially the Carol Stream Examiner, regarding this incident? Another cover up to prevent the beautiful, wonderful, "Oz" of Carol Stream from getting a black eye? Hope the police arrived quickly enough from their ever vigil post on the North Avenue speedtrap. We're sure the paramedics responded quickly and efficiently as they have always done. Glad we didn't have to rely on any Carol Stream trustees or officials of the village. P.S. Thank you Carol Stream Park District for hiring and training the most diligent and effective lifeguards they could.

“what's up?”

carol stream

#12 Jul 17, 2008
i agree- especially when i specifically asked for an answer and was completely ignored. honestly, my concern was #1 for this little girl and if she was ok and #2 for the safety everyone else's kids (including my own) that go there. there's been a bit of press lately on community pools not being properly maintained and children falling victim to drainage and cleaning systems that form a suction and pull kids to the bottom, drowning them. As a public facility, i truly feel 'incidents' should be reported so people know... even if it's knowing that you need to be extra vigilant at the community pool b/c the lifeguards charged with your kids' safety are kids themselves.
again thank you mamaoffour for letting everyone know what happened. you're right-everything happens for a reason and i don't doubt your family's terrible scare will serve to remind parents and caretakers of the huge responsibility involved in caring for kids (it was a reminder for my husband and i). it's great to have forums like topix so people can find out- shame on carol stream for covering up what could be an eye-opening story that could raise awareness to the danger of pools to a larger audience even than this.
charby Carol Stream

Orland Park, IL

#13 Jul 17, 2008
I find it odd that Carol Stream won't talk about this incident and yet today, in the Chicago Tribune Metro section, front page, it appears that the C.S. Park District a finalist for an award, won, in the past, by Carol Stream, for "park excellence in recreation and management" and look at the picture; it's of kids jumping in the Carol Stream pool. HOW IRONIC. By maybe "covering up" the incident at the Carol Stream pool, was meant to deflect any bad p.r. for the park district in their quest for another gold medal. I guess it's not "safety first", but "medals and recognition first".
ANGRY DAD

United States

#14 Jul 27, 2008
I would like to let everyone know , that not only was this covered up but it was ignored completely . It took the manager of the pool "Lindsey" two weeks for a returned phone call. She showed no remorse towards the situation or my child . Lindsey didn't even bother to ask how my child was doing, nor my other child that is seven and saw her dead sister pulled from the pool FROM REGULAR PEOPLE NOT LIFEGUARDS.So if you wonder if you and your family are safe at the pool no !!!! My daughter was in the pool for an estimated time of 3 minutes!!! What training are these life guards lacking , for me maybe doing their job. Dry drowning didn't happen there is a big diffrence with what happened to my daughter, if any person or persons from Carol Stream pool comes to this blog again. West Chicago pool is a very nice pool and close enough to Carol Stream .Now both of my daughters wake up crying every night and sleep with my wife and I.I asked Lindsey if they were going to review training and safety procedures , she said NO!!!! I asked why ?, She told me there was no need for this, that everything from all the people I talked to was a lie. That the lifeguards did save my daughter,Ha!
This is so far the truth it isn't funny!!Lindsey is a heartless ,godless emotionless person.Just remeber god gives us everything we deserve in the end .Lindsey I would hate to have your fate. I would request that if you want your pool safe again hire a different manager! God blesses those who bless,I give my blessed wishs to those people who cared about my child .Thank you very much
loves2garden

Bloomingdale, IL

#15 Jul 28, 2008
wow... that's insane. i thought ignoring me was obnoxious but treating the father of the child who drown at their facility is disgusting- and not even re-training??? are you kidding me?
yep, done with the carol stream pool. I've been to the west chicago pool too- it is just as nice as you say.
i'm sickened this is being handled this way and more sickened by the award CS just won for recreation facilities or some BS...
i can't even begin to understand what your family is going through. you're in our thoughts and prayers still.
have you tried to contact the mayor or someone above 'lindsay' about this?? this is a serious concern for anyone bringing kids to the pool.
Fullalove

AOL

#16 Jul 29, 2008
Realist wrote:
"Thank GOD"?!? If God actually existed, surely he would not have allowed such an awful thing to happen to such an innocent. How about thanking and showing appreciation to the people who actually played a part in saving her life, not some mythological being!
To know who you are and where you come from is to love life and love people. If you do not know that, without God there is no life, then it is impossible to perceive of His Almighty power and how very much he loves you and all that he has enabled you (and us) to be able to do through the shed blood of His son Jesus Christ to do. Even though you speak disrespectfully of Him it's never too late to find out for yourself and come to know the greatest love you will ever know. He will forgive and forget our our sins, all of our evil ways. For the without the shedding of blood there can be no remission of sin. The very thing you are looking for, you need is in Christ Jesus. God Bless You and I sincerely pray you will come to know him and the power of his reurrection(Philippians 2:13). The enemy of this world has blinded many and causes death and destruction not our loving, kind, and merciful Father in heaven.
Fullalove

AOL

#17 Jul 29, 2008
The enemy takes the young and start his evil plans to kill, steal and destroy them and render them useless by the time they would be able to become productive people of society. I would say he's done a pretty thorough job on many with the drugs, child abuse, murders, disrespect of parents, love of things, hating our neighbors, racism, and the list goes on. Nevertheless, Greater is He who is in you than he who is in the world (1John4:4).
CoralCoveRocks

United States

#18 Aug 8, 2008
just remember coral cove is a hot place to be cool!!!
Cristina

Roseville, CA

#19 Aug 10, 2008
I am truly sorry for the scare yor family endured and the continuing nightmare they're going through.

I have a few questions though. You suggest that we learn from your experience. In order to do that, I need to know where exactly things broke down. I have a 2 1/2 year old son. He wears floaties on his arms and has a swimshirt with a floatation device in it too. Was your daughter wearing anything? And how have you reconciled with your mother or mother-in-law after she ignored your daughter for several minutes at a pool? Did she take any of the blame for letting your daughter drown? I have to admit that I would probably be off speaking terms with her, if she had let that happen to my son.

Again, I am very sorry to your family, but as a teacher, I see this as a learning experience,f or all of us.
Michael Stump

Indianapolis, IN

#20 Aug 12, 2008
For the amount of people in the pool, I'm surprised that more accidents haven't happened. I guess maybe one can say because Carol Stream has some of the best trained life guards in the County is one reason why more accidents haven't happened. It is pretty easy to place blame, but I think there is enough to pass around to everyone, parents, grandparents etc don't you???

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Roselle Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Car burglar 18 hr JenniferEco 1
1990's family fun place 20 hr sethk2009 1
Wesley (Wes) Short (Sep '09) Sat AuthenticMan 2
Review: Airport Shuttle From $ 25.00 To Ohare Jan 22 majboor 1
carol stream police suck!! (Nov '10) Jan 22 george 38
Review: Concrete Finishers Group Jan 22 jstrong196 1
New Technology Brings Concrete Repair to a New ... Jan 20 Jamestheduke21 3
Roselle Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Roselle People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 1:24 pm PST

Yahoo! Sports 1:24PM
What trick will Belichick pull from his hoodie sleeve next?
Bleacher Report 5:14 PM
How Bears Can Make Most of Each Draft Pick
Bleacher Report12:00 AM
3 Mistakes the Chicago Bears Can't Afford to Make This Offseason
NBC Sports 6:14 AM
Michael Bidwill on Larry Fitzgerald: We'll get this worked out
Bleacher Report 9:15 AM
Tillman Hints at Return to Bears with Tweet