Dark chocolate price jump may melt sales gains

Full story: Chicago Tribune

In order to eat chocolate properly, Terrence Mootoo suggests first sipping water from a reverse osmosis tap.
Comments
1 - 13 of 13 Comments Last updated Apr 7, 2009
Steve

Gilberts, IL

#1 Apr 3, 2009
Buy white chocolate - sick of dark chocolate lately. Everywhere I go, it's dark chocolate, dark, chocolate. Give me a break already!
lago

Chicago, IL

#3 Apr 4, 2009
Always preferred dark chocolate. The white stuff is too sweet.
Barbara

Tampa, FL

#5 Apr 4, 2009
Why do we have to go overseas for chocolate (or anything else)? Let's keep our monies here in the USA. As to chocolate, all the hype re the dark is what uped the price. I've tasted many chocolates of every price range and I still like Frango Mints the best!
KPOM

Montvale, NJ

#6 Apr 4, 2009
I've always preferred dark chocolate, long before it became fashionable. There are good dark chocolatiers in the US. Candinas and Burdick come to mind. Vosges is good but it isn't to everyone's taste, particularly because of the odd combinations. In any case, I wouldn't use 70% as a hard-and-fast rule. I've had good dark chocolate in the mid- to high-60% cocoa range. I also don't judge dark chocolate solely by the cocoa content.

Also, comparing a Hershey bar to Ghirardelli is like comparing a Chevy to a Mercedes. Dove has "dark chocolate" bars in the 99 cent range, if all you are after is a cheap cocoa fix. Lindt sells $3 milk chocolate bars, too. Maybe the Dove goes up to $1.29 if cocoa keeps spiking, but I'd guess that most of the price of the $2.99 bars is in the production and branding.

Emmy

Wilmette, IL

#7 Apr 4, 2009
Dark chocolate on a budget -- try Hershey's Nuggets Truffles.
Chocolate addict

Sunnyvale, CA

#8 Apr 4, 2009
Barbara wrote:
Why do we have to go overseas for chocolate (or anything else)? Let's keep our monies here in the USA. As to chocolate, all the hype re the dark is what uped the price. I've tasted many chocolates of every price range and I still like Frango Mints the best!
Duh... Cocoa beans cannot be grown anywhere in the U.S. All chocolate is imported, even if you don't realize it.(Even Hershey's makes its stuff in Mexico.) If you want to indulge your social conscience, stick to chocolate that is fair trade. TCHO and Dagoba are two brands that come to mind.
corntrader19

Garland, TX

#10 Apr 4, 2009
Sadly, chocolate like otherr food and drinks, will be in short supply because of the demand.
corntrader19

Garland, TX

#11 Apr 4, 2009
KPOM wrote:
I've always preferred dark chocolate, long before it became fashionable. There are good dark chocolatiers in the US. Candinas and Burdick come to mind. Vosges is good but it isn't to everyone's taste, particularly because of the odd combinations. In any case, I wouldn't use 70% as a hard-and-fast rule. I've had good dark chocolate in the mid- to high-60% cocoa range. I also don't judge dark chocolate solely by the cocoa content.
Also, comparing a Hershey bar to Ghirardelli is like comparing a Chevy to a Mercedes. Dove has "dark chocolate" bars in the 99 cent range, if all you are after is a cheap cocoa fix. Lindt sells $3 milk chocolate bars, too. Maybe the Dove goes up to $1.29 if cocoa keeps spiking, but I'd guess that most of the price of the $2.99 bars is in the production and branding.
My husband was like that, too. I used to eat dark chocolate occasionally but preferred milk chocolate until my husband said (years before it became popular) that dark chocolate is better for you. Now, I actually prefer dark chocolate. The dark kind is the only kind we buy.
SweatHeart

Chicago, IL

#14 Apr 5, 2009
"You don't want to go anything lower than 70 percent," said Petrelli, whose interest in dark chocolate increased about a year ago. Work helped shape their tastes, Tripp explained: "The owner of our company is from France and is really picky about chocolate."

How does being from France make one an expert in taste or chocolate?
Mom

Gurnee, IL

#15 Apr 5, 2009
Yeah, kind of a snobby article. As long as you avoid Nestle and cheap kid's chocolate, I think you will have a good enough experience.

I think Kisses re one of the best chocolates. Of course I also love Godiva. Dark chocolate is over rated; it tastes kind of waxy and dense.
Tery Spataro

River Forest, IL

#16 Apr 5, 2009
There are more antioxidant benefits to dark chocolate especially in dark chocolate which contains 70% or > cocoa. Not to mention a greater degree of mood alteration. Company's like Hershey's have been buying up small chocolate companies like Scharffen Berger.
Steve from the NW burbs

Portage, IN

#17 Apr 6, 2009
Why not start making your own dark choc bars?
I am now and saving over half the cost!
By melting semi-sweet choc. chips in a double boiler with more unsweetened choc to taste, adding chopped nuts (almonds, peanuts, etc), raisins, flavorings like vanilla, rum, cayenne pepper, etc and then spreading it out on a saran-wrap covered flat surface to cool, I've been making some tasty & cheap chocolate bars of my own.
It's fun & saves mucho $!
Try it!
Apollo

Altamont, IL

#18 Apr 7, 2009
Why the need to drink milk or prefer milk chocolate? Milk is for infants. Pre-Columbian Indians didn't drink milk after being weaned. They never tried to milk the Bison. Too dangerous.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Roscoe Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
IL Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 1 hr B Hole 49,456
IL Illinois Governor Recall Amendment (Oct '10) 16 hr Corrupt Democrats 1,908
Catholic Charities refuses to place children wi... (Jun '11) Sat nOgOd 704
Police: Suspect Tried To Strangle Woman (Mar '08) Aug 27 Confused 167
Internet Providers -- who is good / who is not Aug 27 comcast sux 1
Mike Brown. and the New York Times. Aug 26 lineworker 1
IL Who do you support for Governor in Illinois in ... (Oct '10) Aug 24 Mr Ridgway 3,922
•••
•••
Roscoe Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Roscoe Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Roscoe People Search