New state program withholds hunting, ...

New state program withholds hunting, fishing privileges for 'de...

There are 38 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Mar 25, 2008, titled New state program withholds hunting, fishing privileges for 'de.... In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

When Rachel Miller got a child-support check for more than $14,000 last fall, she never would have guessed the long-awaited money appeared because the father of her two sons likes to hunt white-tail deer.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
John

Muscatine, IA

#21 Mar 26, 2008
Well now if they would only go after the mothers a little bit too and not be one-sided on this like they are on custody laws. I have my kids full-time and still pay their mother child support because the system still is biased towards mothers. Mothers can be as big as "dead beats" as the fathers. I do agree with this program though because it those dead beat dads that give dads like me who are, current on child support, see their kids on a regualr schedule, plus do everything possible to help our children have the best life we can provide, a bad name. These programs are good but some "dead beat mothers" programs would be nice too.
old scool mom

Springfield, IL

#22 Mar 26, 2008

is this a joke? who cares about them not getting their fishing licenses. how many father's out there cares about fishing or hunting? the state needs to just get off their lazy butts and get these dead beat parents to just pay up. my child had to wait until his dad die before he could get his checks. the system does not work. what the child support system needs to do is not issue driver licenses to dead beat parents that includes mothers also. get them were it hurts the most.
old scool mom

Springfield, IL

#23 Mar 26, 2008
LizzyM wrote:
She spent the money on kitchen renovations? What about college funds for her kids? What about enrolling her kids in some sport programs or something for them??? Its child support, not kitchen support.
you are absolutly right. she needs to save the monies for the children future. i totally agree with you.
eeyore2003

Washington, DC

#25 Mar 26, 2008
RegularGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope.
There is absolutely nothing in the divorce laws which presume mothers get custody after a divorce. That's a holdover from a bygone era.
Yet 90% of all divorces involving minor children end up with Mom getting primary custody.
If 90% of the jobs in America went to men, it would be gender discrimination. If 90% of all university students were male, that would be gender discrimination.
But when women get custody of children in 90% of divorces, we call that 'The Best Interest of the Child'.
And, as much as you seem not to care, what she does with child support is very, very relevant to the story. It is to support the children, not remodel kitchens, or buy luxury cars. Without some form of accountability, child support is nothing more than tax-free income to women. Why do you suppose two-thirds of all divorces are filed by women? Because they are virtually guaranteed of getting custody, and tax-free income that goes with it.
I suppose you'd rather see this 'lifestyle maintenance' issue kept quiet, wouldn't you?
Money is fluid, so I don't think it's fair to say she used the child support money solely to remodel the kitchen. The father hadn't paid child support in at least two years. Someone paid for the kids' food, doctor's bills, housing, clothing, etc during that time. And as a result she wasn't able to do some of the other things that she would have liked to use her money for. Is a mom who receives child support never supposed to be able to do anything that might be considered a luxury or non-necessity (and it sounds like the renovations was necessary anyway) because someone else's money could be connected to it? So she was supposed to get something like 280 dollars a month per child, and didn't get it, then got it as a lump sum years later. It doesn't mean that the money is somehow undeserved because the children survived the years their father wasn't paying anything.
Judy

Springfield, IL

#26 Mar 26, 2008
FINALLY!!!!!!! Someone has finally figured out what those of us that have been jerked around for years have known. This is exactly the kind of thing these deadbeats understand. Get them where they live. This is all they care about.
That sounds great

Springfield, IL

#27 Mar 26, 2008
"used part of the money to expand the small kitchen that serves as a family room."

Part of the money. PART-not all. She uses it as a family room. I know you deadbeats and their fans think kids have no rights to anything but food, but you are wrong. Quality of life is important-things like extracurricular activities and home improvements (do you people NEVER improve your home?!)
That sounds great

Springfield, IL

#28 Mar 26, 2008
old scool mom wrote:
is this a joke? who cares about them not getting their fishing licenses. how many father's out there cares about fishing or hunting? the state needs to just get off their lazy butts and get these dead beat parents to just pay up. my child had to wait until his dad die before he could get his checks. the system does not work. what the child support system needs to do is not issue driver licenses to dead beat parents that includes mothers also. get them were it hurts the most.
the DEADBEATS care-and that's all that needs to. The program has a recovery rate of 50%-probably far better than any other program the state has going.
What

Bradley, IL

#29 Mar 26, 2008
RegularGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope.
There is absolutely nothing in the divorce laws which presume mothers get custody after a divorce. That's a holdover from a bygone era.
Yet 90% of all divorces involving minor children end up with Mom getting primary custody.
If 90% of the jobs in America went to men, it would be gender discrimination. If 90% of all university students were male, that would be gender discrimination.
But when women get custody of children in 90% of divorces, we call that 'The Best Interest of the Child'.
And, as much as you seem not to care, what she does with child support is very, very relevant to the story. It is to support the children, not remodel kitchens, or buy luxury cars. Without some form of accountability, child support is nothing more than tax-free income to women. Why do you suppose two-thirds of all divorces are filed by women? Because they are virtually guaranteed of getting custody, and tax-free income that goes with it.
I suppose you'd rather see this 'lifestyle maintenance' issue kept quiet, wouldn't you?
The story has nothing to do with custody. Maybe those laws should be changed, but that is not the subject of the article. She was awarded custody and the father didn't pay for his kids. That's it - end of story. After paying for her kids on her own for that long, she can do whatever she wants with the money - including fixing up a small kitchen for her and her kids. Where are you getting luxury car from?? The dad is collecting workers comp but can go out and hunt? Priorities??? Your argument is for a different forum - save it for another argument.

Since: Sep 07

Arlington Heights, IL

#30 Mar 26, 2008
LizzyM wrote:
She spent the money on kitchen renovations? What about college funds for her kids? What about enrolling her kids in some sport programs or something for them??? Its child support, not kitchen support.
Of course, you are ASSUMING that the college funding, extracuricular activites, etc. have not already been provided by the mother and her now husband BEFORE the DBD talleyed up.

Since: Sep 07

Arlington Heights, IL

#31 Mar 26, 2008
eeyore2003 wrote:
<quoted text>
Money is fluid, so I don't think it's fair to say she used the child support money solely to remodel the kitchen. The father hadn't paid child support in at least two years. Someone paid for the kids' food, doctor's bills, housing, clothing, etc during that time. And as a result she wasn't able to do some of the other things that she would have liked to use her money for. Is a mom who receives child support never supposed to be able to do anything that might be considered a luxury or non-necessity (and it sounds like the renovations was necessary anyway) because someone else's money could be connected to it? So she was supposed to get something like 280 dollars a month per child, and didn't get it, then got it as a lump sum years later. It doesn't mean that the money is somehow undeserved because the children survived the years their father wasn't paying anything.
Thank you! Someone who finally gets it.

Since: Sep 07

Arlington Heights, IL

#32 Mar 26, 2008
John wrote:
Well now if they would only go after the mothers a little bit too and not be one-sided on this like they are on custody laws. I have my kids full-time and still pay their mother child support because the system still is biased towards mothers. Mothers can be as big as "dead beats" as the fathers. I do agree with this program though because it those dead beat dads that give dads like me who are, current on child support, see their kids on a regualr schedule, plus do everything possible to help our children have the best life we can provide, a bad name. These programs are good but some "dead beat mothers" programs would be nice too.
I agree...women who owe child support should be treated no differently. And I will also admit that the moms are not the best parent to raise the child. Unfortunately, once again, the children pay in the end.

The most important thing a non-custodial parent can do is to STAY INVOLVED in the child's life. Keep regular visitation schedules, attend their school functions, etc. It's more than just paying child support.
Done

United States

#33 Mar 26, 2008
Deb in AH wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree...women who owe child support should be treated no differently. And I will also admit that the moms are not the best parent to raise the child. Unfortunately, once again, the children pay in the end.
The most important thing a non-custodial parent can do is to STAY INVOLVED in the child's life. Keep regular visitation schedules, attend their school functions, etc. It's more than just paying child support.
O.K if the mom is not the best person then who is????
RegularGuy

Melrose Park, IL

#35 Mar 27, 2008
What wrote:
<quoted text>The story has nothing to do with custody. Maybe those laws should be changed, but that is not the subject of the article. She was awarded custody and the father didn't pay for his kids. That's it - end of story. After paying for her kids on her own for that long, she can do whatever she wants with the money - including fixing up a small kitchen for her and her kids. Where are you getting luxury car from?? The dad is collecting workers comp but can go out and hunt? Priorities??? Your argument is for a different forum - save it for another argument.
No, she can't 'do whatever she wants' with the money, any more than her ex-husband can go hunting 'if he wants.'

I've spent many, many hours in divorce courts, and I've watched as fathers try to find out why their kids don't have clothes, and they are told over and over again that they have to pay, but there is no corresponding obligation that requires that child support be spent on the needs of the child.

Imagine, if you will, that the taxes you pay to government are spent on personal items for elected officials. That would be a front-page scandal, but when a custodial parent spends child support money on the parent's needs, nothing is said.

When Marcia Clark was prosecuting O.J. Simpson, she petitioned the court for more child support from her ex-husband (who was earning LESS than Marcia at the time). She said she needed more money for makeup, hairstyling and clothes because of the televised trial.

Is THAT what child support is supposed to be for?
CeAnn

Indianapolis, IN

#36 Mar 28, 2008
Just shows men will pay anything to be able to kill animals. They will even take care of their children. Lol

Since: Sep 07

Arlington Heights, IL

#37 Mar 31, 2008
Done wrote:
<quoted text>
O.K if the mom is not the best person then who is????
The father, an aunt, an uncle, a grandparent and in some extreme cases, the state.

Seriously, do you think the children would be better off with a crack-head or abusive mother than someone else? I sure don't!
MWeb

Brooklyn, NY

#38 Mar 31, 2008
I find it disturbing that there are men out there who make hunting or fishing more of a priority than paying for their children's care and well-being!

That said, at least *something* is getting them to pay child support.
too tired to care

Salado, TX

#39 Apr 7, 2008
i'm from tx and pay my child support on a reg. basis....BUT I STILL CAN NOT GET A @#$%ING HUNTING LICENSE..GO FIGURE !!
whatukno

Cape Coral, FL

#40 Apr 14, 2008
Our family has had a horrid time trying to collect from our deadbeat parent. It's been well over a year and he has never paid a dime. He didn't even bother paying his part of the court mediation. In my opinion, every county in the US should have a deadbeat parent website where people that owe over $5,000 should have their photo/info posted. We have created a website that has helped put pressure on our deadbeat as well a outlet for others to report theirs as well. It is also a good place for deadbeat news as we try to keep it updated often. http://Whatukno.com It's a shame that we have to pay for the webpage and hosting when it's a lawful court order that we are trying to have enforced.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Roscoe Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Jeremy Trafelet 10 hr people who still ... 2
Debate: Gay Marriage - Machesney Park, IL (Jan '12) May 25 Shazbotbaru 2
winnebago county police at it again! (Nov '12) May 23 Hmmmm 2
Kris Zaugg - Zaugg Excavating May 22 Geralds Ghost 1
News Catholic Charities refuses to place children wi... (Jun '11) May 22 nOgOd 1,619
Inquiry's May 19 Shazbotbaru 1
Harkness (Dec '12) May 14 UrDaddy 14
More from around the web

Roscoe People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]