Jumper Attempts Freeway Suicide

Posted in the Rosamond Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Jake

Acton, CA

#1 Dec 2, 2007
ROSAMOND - A man jumped Saturday from the Rosamond Boulevard overpass onto the Antelope Valley Freeway in an apparent attempt to kill himself, Kern County Sheriff's officials said.

Deputies and California Highway Patrol officers responded to the scene a little before 2 p.m. They halted traffic in both directions.

The man, a white male in his 20s, jumped from the bridge before any negotiations could be started, sheriff's officials said. An ambulance was standing by and transported him to Antelope Valley Hospital, they said. The nature of his injuries was not available Saturday evening.

By 2:30 p.m. all freeway lanes had been reopened.
Greg

Rosamond, CA

#2 Dec 3, 2007
Any word of his condition at the hospital?
elizabeth

Bakersfield, CA

#3 Dec 3, 2007
has any body found out what happen to the guy that jump the bridge on saturday?
Jake

Acton, CA

#4 Dec 3, 2007
No new information has been released. Maybe tomorrow.
in the av

Desert Hot Springs, CA

#5 Dec 4, 2007
He didn't make it.
cassie

United States

#6 Dec 5, 2007
his name was teddy he was my friend
DragonFire

Hacienda Heights, CA

#7 Dec 5, 2007
cassie wrote:
He was my cousin...
rosamond

West Chester, OH

#8 Dec 6, 2007
DragonFire wrote:
<quoted text>
He was my cousin...
I am sorry for your lose I talked to him for about 5or 10 min then the cops came and made me leave. i wish i could help
Anne

United States

#9 Dec 6, 2007
I am so sorry for anyone who knew this young man. This is a tragedy. My daughter and I were on the 14 going home to Rosamond at that very time and we had to turn around and take another way because they had stopped traffic. I thought it was the Christmas Parade crowds because the parade was that same day. I had no idea that it was this. My heartfelt condolences.
Brenda

Whittier, CA

#10 Dec 6, 2007
My sympathies to the family and friends of Teddy. My daughter and I were on the freeway and saw him standing up on the overpass fence. I was praying the whole way to Tehachapi that he wouldn't jump. Such a horrible thing for those who knew him. We're very sorry for your loss.
Jeremiah

Big Bear City, CA

#11 Dec 6, 2007
rosamond wrote:
<quoted text>I am sorry for your lose I talked to him for about 5or 10 min then the cops came and made me leave. i wish i could help
Ted was my cousin. He and I were very close our whole lives. I just want to know what was said. why he was up there. Im having a hard time with all of this right now.
rosamond

West Chester, OH

#12 Dec 6, 2007
i don't have much he would not talk i just was doing all i could to get him down. i told him i would get he out of town if he would come down it almost worked he looked at me and said are you serious and i said yes he started to come then the sheriff showed up . and he want to the other side they said i had to go i came back but they would not let me talk to him. i know it not much i wish i would have did more 'sorry' I pray that god gives you and your family peace
Rosamond woman

Cambridge, MA

#13 Dec 6, 2007
Jeremiah wrote:
<quoted text> Ted was my cousin. He and I were very close our whole lives. I just want to know what was said. why he was up there. Im having a hard time with all of this right now.
I saw Teddy and I saw the person talking to him before the Sherrif showed up.... I wish I could have helped!

This is the story in The Mojave Desert News
Dies from fall injuries
DESERT NEWS STAFF REPORT
ROSAMOND — A 26-year-old Acton man died Saturday from injuries received when he climbed onto a bridge over Freeway 14 in Rosamond and then jumped.
Teddy Lee Firth, 26, of Acton, did not say a word during the 45 minutes before he jumped, a California Highway Patrol officer at the scene reported.
“He was a clean-cut young man who reminded me of my son,” the officer said.
A Rosamond woman who saw the young man standing on the bridge waving his arms said she cried when she saw him, fearing what he might do. The CHP officer said people screamed when he jumped.
Firth was transported to Antelope Valley Hospital Medical Center in Lancaster, where he was pronounced dead.
CHP and Kern County Sheriff’s officers closed both lanes of the freeway during the incident, diverting traffic to Sierra Highway.
Firth stood on the top of a fence designed, ironically, to protect drivers from people on the bridge from throwing objects at cars.
Rosamond woman

Cambridge, MA

#14 Dec 6, 2007
I am sorry for your loss
A Cousin

Los Angeles, CA

#15 Dec 8, 2007
Ted's funeral services are on Sunday. He will be laid to rest in the same cemetery as his grandfather and great-grandmother and great-grandfather. Our entire family is devastated by his loss. I know his parents would be grateful for your sympathy.
Teddys Friend

Reseda, CA

#16 Dec 8, 2007
cassie wrote:
Cassie services are 12/9/07 at Eternal Valley in Newhall at 1:30.
Tiffany

United States

#17 Dec 8, 2007
I love my brother. We will all miss him very much until we meet again someday.
A Friend

Newport Beach, CA

#18 Dec 9, 2007
Teddy suffered from Schizoaffective disorder, which is a psychiatric diagnosis describing a condition where both the symptoms of mood disorder and schizophrenia are present. A person may manifest impairments in the perception or expression of reality. He died as a result of the desease.

Teddy was part of a wonderful family, full of love. He and his sister were extremely close. His mother and father loved him tremendously. He was a thinker. He was a man of a deep and abiding faith. He will be missed but never forgotten.
Aunt Libby

Auberry, CA

#19 Dec 10, 2007
Tiffany wrote:
I love my brother. We will all miss him very much until we meet again someday.
Our prayers are with you and your mom & dad....Love Aunt Libby, Paul and Christy
Tianna

Corona, CA

#20 Dec 11, 2007
Tiffany and Jeremiah And Other Family And Friends. My Name Is Tianna And I Met Ted Online And We Became Friends And Would Talk Everyday And Night Into The Morning On The Phone For About 4 or 5 months,I Just Found Out About This Last Night By Trying To Look Ted Up Again. We Did Talk On The Phone, So If You Hvae Any Questions For Me Feel Free To Contact Me By Emailing Me At
[email protected] If You Want To Understand Where Ted Was Coming From A Little More.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rosamond Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Keep a Word, Drop a Word! (Apr '12) Tue _Zoey_ 211
Any other sex addicts here in the AV?? Aug 10 PalmGuy 4
Sasquatch Aug 3 Smells like squatch 1
LA county harrassing property owners with bogus... (Aug '08) Jul '16 gino 229
AV Lancaster California gay/bi boys (Feb '15) Jul '16 Lisa 22
Any horny emo/scene girls at Antelope Valley Co... (May '15) Jun '16 Def 4
Moving to Palmdale (Jan '10) Jun '16 okay_great 43

Rosamond Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance