Report skips med school, UA rumors

There are 13 comments on the Jan 4, 2008, Akron Beacon Journal story titled Report skips med school, UA rumors. In it, Akron Beacon Journal reports that:

There is no recommendation to merge the University of Akron and Cleveland State or to move the local medical school from Rootstown Township.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Akron Beacon Journal.

OMG

Cleveland, OH

#1 Jan 5, 2008
What a Dufus Fingerhut is.

I like the part about no bid general contractor contracts for the universities. Sounds like a opportunity to get lots of taxpayer money into his friends pockets.

There is no need for CSU to become part of the Medical College except Fingerhut is from Cleveland and he wants Cleveland to get the best of everything.

Why does the the Mahoning Valley need a 2 year college? They already have YSU. Just expand YSU's charter to include more 2 year college courses for those who can't get into YSU directly.

We waited a year for this idiotic report? Fingerhut is an idiot.
Bachi

Budapest, Hungary

#2 Jan 5, 2008
CSU is the best place for the med school. Proximity to the Clinic provides great possibilities
Class of 68

AOL

#3 Jan 5, 2008
I like the part about getting rid of underutilized programs. Wow. Shouldn't take a commission to point out THAT fact.

I wonder if they talked with any NEOUCOM grads? The ones that I know were very happy that the med school is where its at.
An Older Student

Akron, OH

#4 Jan 5, 2008
I am one of those older students. I like the recommendations that were listed. It would be very nice to not have to log in at a specific time for online classes. I am so glad that Akron U will not combine with Cleveland State. I go to Kent, but I live in and care about Akron. There are some courses that I believe should be eliminated. The way to attract students like me is to get rid of stupid courses and offer more online classes that can be done on the student's schedule and not the teacher's.

Since: Dec 07

Anaheim, CA

#5 Jan 5, 2008
How about limiting out-of-country trips that have univesity presidents staying in $ 1600.00/night hotel rooms?

Sounds like a good start to me. How about YOU Lester?

I'm a '88 KSU grad dedicated to not giving any money to the hog...
Wow

Pittsburgh, PA

#6 Jan 5, 2008
Thats a dumb reason not to give, every school's president's are doing the same thing.

It takes money to earn money buddy... I don't think you ever gave money and are just using this to complain about.
jinxer

Erie, PA

#7 Jan 5, 2008
So why is there this issue with NE ohio colleges not producing as much grads as other ohio schools?

They arent as much fun to go to.

Take a survey from ohio u, bowling grad, or ohio state grads about how they enjoyed their time in college and you will find that, on average, they had a better time than kent, akron, or cleveland state grads.

My $.02 now shoot me.
Really

Akron, OH

#8 Jan 5, 2008
Bachi wrote:
CSU is the best place for the med school. Proximity to the Clinic provides great possibilities
NEUCOM works with the Akron hospitals. The Cleveland hospitals have Case Western Reserve nearby. No reason to break all the current affiliations for NEUCOM.
Really

Akron, OH

#9 Jan 5, 2008
jinxer wrote:
So why is there this issue with NE ohio colleges not producing as much grads as other ohio schools?
Take a survey from ohio u, bowling grad, or ohio state grads about how they enjoyed their time in college and you will find that, on average, they had a better time than kent, akron, or cleveland state grads.
I am sure the graduates of the local schools would say they had fun as well. That survey probably would not be as conclusive as you hope.

I do not think you can compare OSU to any of the other state schools as it is very different in many ways.
U R Correct

Norwalk, OH

#10 Jan 5, 2008
Really wrote:
<quoted text>
NEUCOM works with the Akron hospitals. The Cleveland hospitals have Case Western Reserve nearby. No reason to break all the current affiliations for NEUCOM.
U R Correct
ANON

Akron, OH

#11 Jan 6, 2008
No, not every university president is traveling and bilking the system like lester lefton.
Wow wrote:
Thats a dumb reason not to give, every school's president's are doing the same thing.
It takes money to earn money buddy... I don't think you ever gave money and are just using this to complain about.
ANON

Akron, OH

#12 Jan 6, 2008
isn't it about an education and not a party?
jinxer wrote:
My $.02 now shoot me.
Really

Akron, OH

#13 Jan 6, 2008
ANON wrote:
No, not every university president is traveling and bilking the system like lester lefton.
<quoted text>
EVERY University President travels in order to try to make money, bring in research, recruit top notch faculty or administrators, communicate with alumni, etc. If you think they are not, you are fooling yourself.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rootstown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Ravenna roller rink urged by CARE Apr 22 smarterthanCARE 1
News Making sure she's not forgotten: Sisters of Rav... (Dec '09) Apr 18 Susie 6
Review: COX Autocraft LLC Apr 16 jessica harbarger 1
News Arron Agler dies outside Akron hospital after a... (Jul '09) Mar 31 nic conrad 165
News Woman Heard Screaming, Shooting Man In Her Home... Mar '15 Bob Hoch 3
Grade Attorney Dennis Day Lager Public Defender Mar '15 Attorney F Lee Ba... 4
do they still have a dating club in rootstown?? (Dec '12) Dec '12 dan 1
More from around the web

Rootstown People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]