Ohio.com - DISTRICTS IN TALKS

Ohio.com - DISTRICTS IN TALKS

There are 8 comments on the Akron Beacon Journal story from Aug 5, 2007, titled Ohio.com - DISTRICTS IN TALKS. In it, Akron Beacon Journal reports that:

Current coverage: Teachers do not pay toward premiums. Have co-pays for office visits and prescription drugs.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Akron Beacon Journal.

Fred L

Akron, OH

#1 Aug 6, 2007
Shame on you Stow Teachers,welcome to the real world were we all pretty much pay for these premiums, and shame on you for holding a community hostage just to get your way! So if you don't get this you will lower your teaching standards?
Then your fired! lets bring in some teachers who are not greedy yet.Then if they become greedy we should get rid of them also. You get the idea? We are tired of it. Do your job, pay your bills just like regular people.
J Snyder

Akron, OH

#2 Aug 8, 2007
If any of these districts adopted a HSA health plan, they (the teachers) would be paying nothing for their healthcare, have a zero deductible plan (once the district funded their HSAs) and the districts would save $500K-$1,000,000 per year. Some of the largest school districts in the state of Ohio have already switched to these plans. The result - The district saved money and the teachers ended up with enhanced benefits and received their pay raise. If this is not being discussed and thoroughly analyzed as an option, I would be very interested to know why not?
J. Snyder
Great Lakes HSA
Kelly B

Naperville, IL

#3 Aug 8, 2007
I agree with Fred from Akron. I'm in one of the districts that teachers are threatening to strike. I've owned my home for 9 years and in that time my property taxes have literally DOUBLED due mostly to the many school levies...and on top of that I pay $400/mo. for my family to have health insurance. I'd be dancing in the streets the day my employer came to me and said I only needed to pay co-pays and for prescriptions.
Hey teachers...welcome to being an adult in the "real world"!!!
teach

Canton, OH

#4 Aug 8, 2007
I have to say that I am SHOCKED that there are districts not paying for health benefits. I have been teaching for 15 years and have ALWAYS paid a portion of my premium, paid 10-20% of the medical bill after I met my $500 deductible (for two people) and paid for prescriptions. I currently pay over $100 a month for medical and dental and pay $25-40 for presciptions. The community needs to know that most teachers are not getting free health coverage.
Overtaxed Voter

Columbus, OH

#5 Aug 8, 2007
Kelly B wrote:
I'm in one of the districts that teachers are threatening to strike. I've owned my home for 9 years and in that time my property taxes have literally DOUBLED due mostly to the many school levies...and on top of that I pay $400/mo. for my family to have health insurance.
And now the CSB wants us to appprove a 6-mil levy after hiring a retired administrator to a 3 year contract for nearly $140,000 per year.

Taxpayers are fed up with elected officials thinking that what we earn is fair game for their tax increase games.

Say no to every tax increase (and renewal). Let government get by on less, just like the rest of us do.
get real

Warren, OH

#6 Aug 9, 2007
Kelly B wrote:
I've owned my home for 9 years and in that time my property taxes have literally DOUBLED due mostly to the many school levies...
Your property taxes have perhaps gone up... but I can give you a pretty strong guarantee that your federal taxes have been decreased, thanks to good ol' Bush.
Fred L

Akron, OH

#7 Aug 14, 2007
Fred L wrote:
Shame on you Stow Teachers,welcome to the real world were we all pretty much pay for these premiums, and shame on you for holding a community hostage just to get your way! So if you don't get this you will lower your teaching standards?
Then your fired! lets bring in some teachers who are not greedy yet.Then if they become greedy we should get rid of them also. You get the idea? We are tired of it. Do your job, pay your bills just like regular people.
All I know for sure is, that If said that I was not going to do my job as good as before If I don't get a raise and my benefits paid for I would be fired on the spot!! Look,we all want more money, better insurance and job security, right now everyone is pretty much tapped out, this is everywhere!! we cannot afford to give out what we don't have!! Its as simple as that.
Logic Wins

Akron, OH

#8 Aug 14, 2007
Without going to a lot of trouble here, this union represents about 3,000 employees/teachers.

If I take my health contribution (about $500 a year) and multiply it by 3000, I get $1.5 million.

If you divide up this figure across State school support, local business, and local residences, each of us that owns or rents a home would pay about $2.50 less per year if the teachers paid $500 out of the pockets toward their health care.

Is $2.50 a year really all the bad mouthing your posting here?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rootstown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Hartville Music Thread Sat Musikologist 1
Starlite roller rink DRUG PROBLEM (Dec '12) Oct 20 Tracy 3
how many have to go missing??? Oct 11 coco4u 1
News Wayne Dawson (Oct '09) Sep 28 Messy 171
the music thread (Apr '12) Aug '17 Musikologist 21
News Corrupt former Summit County councilwoman sente... Aug '17 Mr Shhh 1
Naughty Home Remodeler Jul '17 Anonymous 1

Rootstown Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance