'I caused so much sadness'

'I caused so much sadness'

There are 19 comments on the Akron Beacon Journal story from Apr 24, 2008, titled 'I caused so much sadness'. In it, Akron Beacon Journal reports that:

KENT: Wearing orange prison garb, she stood at the front of a gymnasium full of high school students giving witness as the person responsible for a horrible tragedy.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Akron Beacon Journal.

isaiditdealwithi t

Massillon, OH

#1 Apr 24, 2008
How about prevention programs like---don't ever do the wine and you won't live like a swine... or don't ever do the the beer and you'll like what you see in the mirror.....or don't ever do the brandy and you'll never mistaken him for candy...or don't ever get started on the bud and you're name won't be mud.....or don't ever get started on the weed and you'll have a better chance to succeed. Peace out.
joann ryan

Allen Park, MI

#3 Apr 24, 2008
please send this to all---our kids, grands need to read. this is REALITY!

i wish the same would be done here in Michigan. let it be a mandatory experience now and not after driving while intoxicated.
Dani

Willard, OH

#4 Apr 24, 2008
ALL high schools should have this program
Akron reader

Akron, OH

#5 Apr 24, 2008
When I went to driver's ed in school, we were told we had to watch a video of pictures taken at REAL accidents. If we didn't, it was an automatic fail and couldn't get our license.

Some of us had to close our eyes at parts and a lot of it was black and white due to how graphic it was. But it sure made an impact!

That should be required of everyone before they get a license!
Dog

Akron, OH

#6 Apr 24, 2008
Akron reader wrote:
When I went to driver's ed in school, we were told we had to watch a video of pictures taken at REAL accidents. If we didn't, it was an automatic fail and couldn't get our license.
Some of us had to close our eyes at parts and a lot of it was black and white due to how graphic it was. But it sure made an impact!
That should be required of everyone before they get a license!
I remember the movie called Red Asphalt, I'm in my mid 40's and still think about it from time to time.
Ahau Kin

Maumelle, AR

#7 Apr 24, 2008
There will always be drinking and driving, and the associated tragedy and charges.

I personally do all my drinking at home. It is the last thing I do with my day and I certainly don't try to go anywhere.

I am never out on the streets anywhere near 2:30 A.M. when the bars close. It makes no sense. Drunks, sobriety checkpoints, and police (seemingly) everywhere.

You may as well put a blinking neon sign in your rear window, says "pull me over".

I wish I had better advice on how to avoid or prevent such tragedies.
Chrissy

Wadsworth, OH

#8 Apr 24, 2008
Just reading this made me cry
Red

Cleveland, OH

#9 Apr 24, 2008
Fantastic idea! Talk about "reality"!! This needs to be done to our younger people in high school as well. Bring in people who have experienced both sides of these tragedies.
Wake Up

Mansfield, OH

#10 Apr 24, 2008
Ahau Kin wrote:
I personally do all my drinking at home. It is the last thing I do with my day and I certainly don't try to go anywhere.
This sounds like a future member of AA.
Susie Q

Massillon, OH

#11 Apr 24, 2008
to bad "family places" ex Canal Park-promote beer or family rests. that serve beer and wines--or gas stations--I could keep going on and on but....
Something Wicked

Stow, OH

#12 Apr 24, 2008
Just 2 years to go on a 6 year sentence. This country needs to give drunk drivers 25 yrs to life for taking a life.
I feel for the ones with permanent disability and anyone who loses a loved one because a drink had to be had, and a steering wheel was put in their fists.
An automobile becomes a deadly/devastating weapon, in an impaired persons' hands.
Springfield Res

United States

#13 Apr 25, 2008
Susie Q wrote:
to bad "family places" ex Canal Park-promote beer or family rests. that serve beer and wines--or gas stations--I could keep going on and on but....
I agree - I like drinks too but at home like the other guy said.(and just because he wrote that or does that, does not make him an alcoholic btw to whoever wrote that). One of the strangest two things put together to me is this - a bar, and a parking lot.
man of honor

Cleveland, OH

#14 Apr 25, 2008
This program has a lot of merit, too bad through tragedy lessons are learned! This should wake up a great deal of young and old Teach one reach pne save one
concerned citizen

Oshkosh, WI

#15 Apr 25, 2008
Something Wicked wrote:
Just 2 years to go on a 6 year sentence. This country needs to give drunk drivers 25 yrs to life for taking a life.
I feel for the ones with permanent disability and anyone who loses a loved one because a drink had to be had, and a steering wheel was put in their fists.
An automobile becomes a deadly/devastating weapon, in an impaired persons' hands.
ok, let's do that. and how about giving the same punishment to a sober driver who causes a death from speeding or running a red light or passing in no pass zone or driving with unsafe tires. Deal?
its me

Youngstown, OH

#16 Apr 29, 2008
wow

“Lohio Bound”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#17 Apr 29, 2008
Dog wrote:
<quoted text>I remember the movie called Red Asphalt, I'm in my mid 40's and still think about it from time to time.
blood-stained blacktop
stretched out beneath the wheel
before too long
it was all too real

- James McMurtry, from "Fuller Brush Man"
Something Wicked

Stow, OH

#18 May 8, 2008
concerned citizen wrote:
<quoted text>
ok, let's do that. and how about giving the same punishment to a sober driver who causes a death from speeding or running a red light or passing in no pass zone or driving with unsafe tires. Deal?
deal, a life for a life
Yeah

Canton, OH

#19 May 8, 2008
They really need to have this program in more high schools.
But kids will be kids, they'll always think "It could never happen to me/my friends/my family." which is a sad reality.

I rarely drink(usually about 4 times a year) but when I do, I do it at home. I can go to a party and not drink and not give in to pressure to drink with a simple "no". I won't put myself in the situation where I could hurt or kill someone else just so I can get drunk, it's selfish to do that.
its me

Youngstown, OH

#20 May 16, 2008
its me wrote:
wow
u r so smart.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rootstown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Grade Attorney Dennis Day Lager Public Defender (Feb '15) 5 hr vagrant living i... 6
Stripped Screw Jun 16 Shaft 3
rat boy (Nov '08) Apr '16 Bad Boy Club 30
News Request rubs Ravenna Twp. the wrong way Plan fo... (Sep '07) Apr '16 Someone w clarity 55
News Former Akron councilman Bruce Kilby accused of ... (Jan '14) Apr '16 JNemerJr 3
Bed Bugs Mar '16 jarnold2016 1
Whatever happened to Attorney Robin Bostick????? (Feb '15) Mar '16 Pink Panther Jr 5

Rootstown Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Rootstown Mortgages