Ohio.com - Luis Proenza throws a brushback pitch

Reading the State of the University address delivered by Luis Proenza last week, I began to feel somewhat envious of those who attended. Full Story
Lincoln Park Sam

Skokie, IL

#3 Oct 24, 2007
Proenza is a clown. The University of Akron does not belong to him. It does not belong to the city of Akron (anymore), and it doesn't belong to its alumni. It is a state institution and as such it should play its proper role in the state university system. This does NOT include attempting to turn itself into Ohio State, so Louis can fly off to academic conferences and pretend that there's no difference between Akron and Ohio State--all rankings, research dollars, admissions standards, faculty quality, endowment and Association of American Universities membership saying otherwise.

What's really grating about Proenza is that Akron was a struggling municipal university that would have gone bankrupt had it not been folded into the state system, yet Proenza now has both the nerve to attempt to tell the same state that saved it to get lost and the arrogance to think that this 4th tier university and latecomer to the system has a right to sit at the head of the table.

Wake up. This is all about Louis' ego and his vain need to pretend that there's no difference between his institution and the one in Columbus--Ohio taxpayers and tuition payers be damned.
Brian

Williamsburg, VA

#4 Oct 24, 2007
Sam, you must be ignorant to the entire process to make these comments. Your are very lost if you are thinking this is about President Luis Proenza's ego. I am thankful for Dr Proenza's tireless efforts to "tell the story" of The University of Akron's suceess. There will be changes in the university system for Ohio and I feel confident that Akron will benefit from these changes.
Get Real

United States

#5 Oct 24, 2007
Lincoln Park Sam wrote:
Proenza is a clown. The University of Akron does not belong to him. It does not belong to the city of Akron (anymore), and it doesn't belong to its alumni. It is a state institution and as such it should play its proper role in the state university system. This does NOT include attempting to turn itself into Ohio State, so Louis can fly off to academic conferences and pretend that there's no difference between Akron and Ohio State--all rankings, research dollars, admissions standards, faculty quality, endowment and Association of American Universities membership saying otherwise.
What's really grating about Proenza is that Akron was a struggling municipal university that would have gone bankrupt had it not been folded into the state system, yet Proenza now has both the nerve to attempt to tell the same state that saved it to get lost and the arrogance to think that this 4th tier university and latecomer to the system has a right to sit at the head of the table.
Wake up. This is all about Louis' ego and his vain need to pretend that there's no difference between his institution and the one in Columbus--Ohio taxpayers and tuition payers be damned.
Obviously you are an OSU lover. I guess everyone should just bow down to OSU since they are the only University in the state. Not going to happen!
Hugo Chavez

Akron, OH

#7 Nov 8, 2007
All you commentators above do not know what the hell you are talking about. Luis Proenza has a very big ego and thinks he is so damn big in the university. He forgot how he arrived in the USA as a wet-back Mexican of immigrant parents. As far as I am concerned, his education has gone way over his head, and forgets how his brethren illegal immigrants need an education as well. He did not make it to the top of his 4th tier institution by himself. He had a lot of support from white people, not his own people. He should help his own people out and admit more Mexicans to the U. as a way of giving back to the community and to the people that helped him.
lurkingfemme

Canal Fulton, OH

#8 Nov 8, 2007
Lincoln Park Sam wrote:
Amen, Sam, amen. These truly delusional people who think that Akron U will somehow ever magically morph into a fine academic, highly-respected institution like OSU crack me up.

Like even the ABJ has said, "Akron U is no Ohio State"!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rootstown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Brimfield Chief Oliver's rise to - Internet Sen... Sun Mr Smith 1
People who lie and cheat Jan 21 Jene 2
Report: Brimfield Police Chief David Oliver to ... Jan 17 Inspector hopalon... 1
Letter accuses retiring Brimfield police chief ... Jan 16 Inspector humpee ... 1
Investigators link Tallmadge man's DNA to mask ... Jan 7 lil ty 2
Kent Music Emporium (Oct '12) Jan 5 Musikologist 10
A.N.T. go to Western Union get 200.00 U need I.D. Dec 31 Custo 1
Rootstown Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Rootstown People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 8:43 am PST