Many schools short on funds charge th...

Many schools short on funds charge thousands in tuition to pare...

There are 169 comments on the Akron Beacon Journal story from Apr 27, 2008, titled Many schools short on funds charge thousands in tuition to pare.... In it, Akron Beacon Journal reports that:

The Jurkowski family moved to Tallmadge in 2006 because of the district's excellent-rated schools and its free, full-day kindergarten.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Akron Beacon Journal.

First Prev
of 9
Next Last
big buckeye daddy

Howard Beach, NY

#1 Apr 28, 2008
And one wonders why Ohio is behind other states and the US schools are behind other countries' schools in education.

1. My child's parochial school charges $3300 per year tuition. Why is it these "public" schools are charging $2500 for the additional 1/2 day kindergarten? No wonder we see 5-6 Copley students a year enroll just for Kindergarten at our parochial school. Additionally, I might add, our school pays our teachers quite well and has many with master's degrees and beyond! Let's see...better teachers, better education as quantified by better test scores, more discipline, less per pupil funding than almost all "public schools"...why is it more parents don't see this?

2. Kindergarten is the basis...give the kids a good start, and in the long run, you will save money. How much are these districts paying for the tutoring and other costs associated with helping these kids read at appropriate age level, when they are 3 and 4 years behind due to lack of fundamental skills? Why is it that these districts can't pass state tests?

3. Ohio should be mandating that all public schools have full day K without exception. Schools that violate this, or charge tuition should be denied all state funding.
1granmom

Ashland, OH

#2 Apr 28, 2008
Whatever happened to moms wantig to parnt their kids? not hand them over to a room full of others with one teacher and expect one person to give their child the love and attention they need? and then we have bullies and dhommers wonder why? stay home do with out the bentley and teach your child ,spend that half a day with holding and loving him or her ! good greif!!!!
cranky

Wadsworth, OH

#3 Apr 28, 2008
big buckeye daddy wrote:
And one wonders why Ohio is behind other states and the US schools are behind other countries' schools in education.
1. My child's parochial school charges $3300 per year tuition. Why is it these "public" schools are charging $2500 for the additional 1/2 day kindergarten? No wonder we see 5-6 Copley students a year enroll just for Kindergarten at our parochial school. Additionally, I might add, our school pays our teachers quite well and has many with master's degrees and beyond! Let's see...better teachers, better education as quantified by better test scores, more discipline, less per pupil funding than almost all "public schools"...why is it more parents don't see this?
2. Kindergarten is the basis...give the kids a good start, and in the long run, you will save money. How much are these districts paying for the tutoring and other costs associated with helping these kids read at appropriate age level, when they are 3 and 4 years behind due to lack of fundamental skills? Why is it that these districts can't pass state tests?
3. Ohio should be mandating that all public schools have full day K without exception. Schools that violate this, or charge tuition should be denied all state funding.
amen. I have always said, private school is clearly the better option. The public schools are in fiscal emergency because they have no idea how to run a business. Private institutions know that a school is a learning institution but ultimately a business. Keep your employees happy, use your funding wisely and don't make crazy decisions regarding your students. Use common sense and you will be successful. and stop whining.
Old Man Grump April 28

Akron, OH

#4 Apr 28, 2008
The Tallmadge Superintendent is playing the "I'll get even with you parents for not passing the school levy" card. He's charging $2500 for all day kindergarten, won't be busing high school kids in the fall, making kids & parents pay to play sports, etc. All I can say to Jeff Ferguson is you made your bed by building that new expensive Taj Mahal high school that you can't afford to staff, now lay in it as Tallmadge voters will not be passing any school levies in the near future. We seniors and retirees can't afford to pay that kind of real estate tax.
CFO1

Cuyahoga Falls, OH

#5 Apr 28, 2008
another way for the teachers union to have more jobs. Cut kindergarten to 1/2 day and make the class sizes 30 again. Then you can retire 1/2 of the teachers and work within the budget without begging for more money each and every year.
wow

Avon Lake, OH

#7 Apr 28, 2008
big buckeye daddy wrote:
Your school can turn away problem kids and kids from bad homes while public schools have to educate everyone. Apples and oranges...
Old Man Grump April 28

Akron, OH

#8 Apr 28, 2008
wow wrote:
<quoted text>
Your school can turn away problem kids and kids from bad homes while public schools have to educate everyone. Apples and oranges...
It's all about family values and morality, and public schools especially in the inner cities lack them because two parent families do not exist.
Mom

United States

#9 Apr 28, 2008
wow wrote:
<quoted text>
Public schools have to educate those with disabilities as well, while private schools can't accomodate them.
Agree

Cleveland, OH

#10 Apr 28, 2008
Old Man Grump April 28 wrote:
The Tallmadge Superintendent is playing the "I'll get even with you parents for not passing the school levy" card. He's charging $2500 for all day kindergarten, won't be busing high school kids in the fall, making kids & parents pay to play sports, etc. All I can say to Jeff Ferguson is you made your bed by building that new expensive Taj Mahal high school that you can't afford to staff, now lay in it as Tallmadge voters will not be passing any school levies in the near future. We seniors and retirees can't afford to pay that kind of real estate tax.
OMG, you need to really get a clue !

1) Jeff said these cuts would happen if the levy didn't pass, it was well documented.
2) The so called "Taj Mahal" as you call it is already undersized. There is only one gym. The school was built in essence, just to provide the students a safe facility to learn in.
get real

Brinkhaven, OH

#11 Apr 28, 2008
big buckeye daddy wrote:
Ignorance like this is one of the biggest hurdles public schools face.
cats71

Brinkhaven, OH

#12 Apr 28, 2008
Well, I remember the "new" govenor saying education was important to him> well... we are still waiting. No relief for property tax owners, no full time kindergarten...the list goes on. Well districts should go to full time and charge back to our govenor and the rest of the group in Columbus who have made empty promises they are not keeping. It is not the schools hurting us people it is the politicans!!
geneva

Akron, OH

#14 Apr 28, 2008
There has been a massive amount of new money funneled into the Education Bureaucracy in the last several years. The Democratís continue to perpetuate the Liberal myth that no additional money has been put into the black hole of Public Education.
The other Liberal myth is that new schools and additional spending increases the value of homes within a community. Do some checking, and you will find that the appreciation rate for homes in Tallmadge is less than 1% a year. In the current environment, home values are actually declining.
What really needs to happen is consolidation of school districts. We need one County wide district. We cannot afford to fund schools as we have in the past. We must downsize, restructure, consolidate areas such as Administration, Purchasing, Human Resources, Legal, Accounting and Maintenance..etc.
This will requires Leadership, Vision, and Courage all of which are non-existent in the Education Bureaucracy.
John C

Ravenna, OH

#15 Apr 28, 2008
Every district should offer an all- day kindergarten, it is 2008 and we all know the benefits it brings. Charging tuition is fine if needed.
get real

Mansfield, OH

#16 Apr 28, 2008
big buckeye daddy wrote:
My Children go to a public school and their ratings are excellent . They scored way over proficient. Parochial doent not equate better teachers, better education, better test scores, nor more discipline. In fact the parocial children that ride my childs bus have terrible behavior. They have flipped people off, pick on others smaller than them, and are disresptful.
You couldn't pay me to take my children out of their school and put them in the local parochial school. Parents of kids who go there have complained about their parochial school and some have moved their children out of the school. Not all public schools are great, but many are and not all parochial schools are great either. No matter what school your child goes to it is the parents duty to make sure they are good students and reinforce above and beyond what they learn in school. My children could read before they started kindergarten, it's called parenting. They went to all day kindergarten and were already way ahead. Too many people think it is the school systems job to raise their children and do all the teaching.
geneva

Akron, OH

#17 Apr 28, 2008
P.S. let's see if the pay-to-play is implemented before or after the football season..
blank

Cuyahoga Falls, OH

#18 Apr 28, 2008
They are still offering the 1/2 day kindergarten. The school system that I live in does not have all day kindergarten. There is not a huge amount of schools that do offer the full day. Why should you have free babysitting if your school district can't afford it.

You don't want to pay for the tuition, then you will either have to watch your own child or hire a babysitter for after school.

Public schools are not free. Even after paying my property taxes, I still have to pay school fees, and pay to participate fees.
Hater

Akron, OH

#19 Apr 28, 2008
ABJ swings and misses again. Since when is anything "free", especially from the the government? It's no extra charge in some districts! WE PAY TAXES! How do you think the govt. gets $$$? Let me guess, the just print more. WE NEED FINANCIAL EDUCATION IN SCHOOLS! Or ar least at the ABJ....
Joe

Lakewood, OH

#20 Apr 28, 2008
Ohio is already one of the most tax burdened states in the nation. Many districts only offer 1/2 day kindergarten and then charge extra if a parent wants their kid in the other half (basically when they need daycare because the parent isn't home). This is normal and certainly reasonable. Thise who choose to have children are ultimately responsible for raising their children. It is unfortunate that some people have children without counting the cost. They end up relying on the system to fund everything for the raising of their child. I applaud parents who planned properly before they brought a child into this world. Furthermore, tax levies for schools should only be voted on by property owners.
Mars

Stow, OH

#21 Apr 28, 2008
The public schools cannot be run like a business. In business if you have part of the operation which is not cost-productive you eliminate it. The public schools cannot eliminate their non-cost-productive operations because of Title IX and ADA. If you really consider the obstacles that the public schools face, they do a reasonably good job. The public school teachers have been ruled and regulated to death. That's why my sons are in private school.
City Worker

Dayton, OH

#22 Apr 28, 2008
Old Man Grump April 28 wrote:
We have here a rare occasion....I agree total w/OMG. Those were my first thoughts---typical "punish the parents the best way we can" response by the school board. Not to mention charging a fee for a half-day (remember, half-day kindergarten is free, so this fee really is just for half a day)that is clearly exhorbitant.

Yet another reason to vote against school levies.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 9
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rootstown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Election Who do you support for County Auditor in Ohio (... (Oct '10) Thu zio-bot israeli 5
News Deadly Accident in Portage County; Man Leaves D... (Aug '09) Mar 13 serafini 79
Congrats to KSU Flashes Mar 13 classmate 1
News Falls fees nothing less than scam (Jul '08) Mar 3 stow_sufferer 187
News Wayne Dawson (Oct '09) Feb 28 Pete 159
SGT James Henry Necomer Feb 25 538th Engineers l... 1
News Goodwill moves to block Ohio trash pickers (Sep '09) Feb '17 WolfKidJasper 18

Rootstown Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Rootstown Mortgages