WZZM13 - "Curfew Killers" take their case to city hall

Some West Michigan teens think a 32 year-old curfew's time has passed. A group calling themselves the "Curfew Killers" have asked Roosevelt Park's mayor to extend the existing curfew. Full Story
ADA

AOL

#1 Jun 3, 2007
Kids this age do not need to be out of the house after midnight. They are just punk kids. You can't trust them.
hmi

Ann Arbor, MI

#2 Jun 3, 2007
the name "curfew killers" itself explains why the curfew needs to STAY!!
Monica

Rockford, MI

#3 Jun 16, 2007
Oh yes we need more kids out late unsupervised,why dont we hand out guns,condoms and drugs for them too.Geeeez!
scott in kent city

United States

#4 Jun 16, 2007
The Curfew Killers asking Roosevelt Park's mayor to extend the existing curfew is like the Unabomber filling out a job application for the GRPD bomb squad, Fat Chance!

RCE

“RCE”

Since: Jun 07

Grand Rapids

#5 Jun 20, 2007
I think that the current curfew is very fair. Kids need to be home at that time. In the Summer time when it was past our curfew you could find a big group of us hanging out at someones house (with a parent there). We still had lots of fun. When kids are left up to their own devices trouble happens. If kids break curfew I think parents need to start being punished. It is not the job of teachers or police to parent children. It is the job of the parent.
Jeff

Muskegon, MI

#6 Jul 13, 2007
Okay, just because someone wants to be outside at night (especially 10 o'clock!) what's so wrong about that? If someone, especially those "untrustworthy punk kids", wanted to commit a crime, what would a law telling them to stay inside do to stop them? Are there not already laws against kids using guns, doing drugs, having sex, all that stuff? So what's the point of denying the rest of us a freedom? Oh, my bad. I forgot that if a parent enforces a curfew, they won't feel responsible when their kid does do something wrong. And when talking about denying my age group a basic freedom, try not to sound so much like a PBS special.

The irony that this is a problem in Roosevelt Park of all places makes this very funny.
bob boboroni

Sterling Heights, MI

#7 Jul 14, 2007
When they can vote, they can stay out late,

“Lost my mind”

Since: Apr 07

be back later

#8 Jul 14, 2007
Jeff wrote:
Okay, just because someone wants to be outside at night (especially 10 o'clock!) what's so wrong about that? If someone, especially those "untrustworthy punk kids", wanted to commit a crime, what would a law telling them to stay inside do to stop them? Are there not already laws against kids using guns, doing drugs, having sex, all that stuff? So what's the point of denying the rest of us a freedom? Oh, my bad. I forgot that if a parent enforces a curfew, they won't feel responsible when their kid does do something wrong. And when talking about denying my age group a basic freedom, try not to sound so much like a PBS special.
The irony that this is a problem in Roosevelt Park of all places makes this very funny.
That's the problem. What basic rights do you have as a minor? As I tell my children, you get the right to a roof over your head, food in your stomachs, and clothes on your backs. There is nothing telling me you have to have a million dollar roof over your head, name brand clothes on your backs, oh, and tbone steaks and prawns for dinner.

It is a PARENTS responsibility to make sure you are safe and taken care of. When you can do that for yourselves and have a place of your own and no longer considered "our responsibility", then you can decide how late to stay out at night. Oh, and pay your own bills also.

There is a reason for these laws to be in place. You have a problem with that, why don't you look to the ones that have broken it and ruined it for the rest of you?
Jamie

Grand Rapids, MI

#9 Jul 14, 2007
hmi wrote:
the name "curfew killers" itself explains why the curfew needs to STAY!!
agree
Josh

Greenville, MI

#10 Jul 21, 2007
i think curfews are wrong. parents should decide when their kids should come home, not the city or state. If some minor was staying at a friends house for a day and then walked back during the night with their parents permission, the cops would still yell at them and issue them a citation if it was past the state's or citie's curfew

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Roosevelt Park Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Restaurant review: Boar's Belly a welcome addit... 19 hr Brandon Champion III 2
Holland man found sleeping in Mason County hote... Oct 7 disco stu 2
Free movie tickets! (May '09) Sep 30 marlene70 13
Grand Haven doesnt like black people (Oct '12) Sep 25 jazzycat 26
Man came to door wanting me to vote Sep '14 backdrop001 1
Jessica Heeringa (Aug '13) Sep '14 Prayers for Jessica 11
Debate: Gay Marriage - Grand Haven, MI (Jan '12) Sep '14 Sneaky Pete 17
Roosevelt Park Dating
Find my Match

Roosevelt Park Jobs