International flights coming to MacAr...

International flights coming to MacArthur airport -

There are 178 comments on the Newsday story from Sep 27, 2007, titled International flights coming to MacArthur airport -. In it, Newsday reports that:

Town of Islip officials have entered into talks with a European airline in the hopes of adding international flights to Long Island-MacArthur Airport, Islip supervisor Phil Nolan said today.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

First Prev
of 9
Next Last
The CandyMan

Daytona Beach, FL

#167 Oct 26, 2007
I think that this will be great for the town of Islip and the airport. My only concern is if they up it to Class B airspace, it will have an effect on the General Aviation that operates out of there. I recieved my private pilots certificate there an i hope to be able to fly there for many years to come after i graduate college. At the same time it will be cool and convienent to be able to go to islip instead of JKF LAGUARDIA and NEWARK.
Islip Resident

Jamesville, NC

#168 Oct 26, 2007
The CandyMan wrote:
I think that this will be great for the town of Islip and the airport. My only concern is if they up it to Class B airspace, it will have an effect on the General Aviation that operates out of there. I recieved my private pilots certificate there an i hope to be able to fly there for many years to come after i graduate college. At the same time it will be cool and convienent to be able to go to islip instead of JKF LAGUARDIA and NEWARK.
Stay in Daytona, Candy Man your not welcome in Islip!
Ryanair Stansted

UK

#169 Dec 4, 2007
any more news from across the pond here in the UK Ryanair have said Transatlantic flights could start in time for summer 2008 but no airport has been talked about
Bring it on

Port Washington, NY

#170 Dec 4, 2007
Bring it on, RyanAir...

Since: Dec 07

Union City, NJ

#171 Dec 4, 2007
Who cares about the Long Islands environment.Might as well burn every drop of fuel we can get our hands before it runs out and pump the smog all over our selfs and our children.As long as someones making a profit.
Islip News

Manchester, CT

#172 Dec 5, 2007
First flight scheduled for June 2008
Flyboy

Norwalk, CT

#173 Feb 29, 2008
Ok... about all the noise issues, Stop complaining people, it was your dumb ass that decided to purchase a house near a place where turbine jets hang around all day... and for that, i like the guy that says make ISP big and loud... the noise the bugs me the most is you morons running your mouths too much... all that being said, the idea of having cheap international flights from a local airport should be seen as a godsend. It will eliminate the hassle of going to JFK or Newark and even better, the existing airport will not have to expand much at all. Heck, the idea of bringing JetBlue to ISP makes sense as well. More users of Islip, more money for the town... its win-win
LIer

Tenafly, NJ

#174 Mar 18, 2008
Personally, I think it's a bad idea. If you live in the airports flight path now...just wait until that happens. It used to be that planes flew 7am to 11pm. Now you can often hear planes before 6:30 and later than 11. If the airport goes international, it'll probably have a big negative impact on this area for noise, pollution and traffic. As it is, it seems only those residing in the Town of Islip reap any monetary benefits from the airport, but people who live in Brookhaven really receive only the benefit of local airport accessibility. It's a nice airport...don't try to fix a good thing.
ChristmasTree

United States

#175 Mar 18, 2008
What a bunch of phonies! We don't NEED MORE NOISE, MORE POLLUTION, MORE TRAFFIC on LI. How many people will make the pilgramage to the Old Sod from this airport? So you have to call a cab, or cousin Harry to drive to JFK once every couple of years, so what? How self-important and arrogant are you? The Cost to Benefits Ratio is not good here! "They'd pave paradise to put up a parking lot"; Joanie Mitchell. Good words to live by.
LIer

Tenafly, NJ

#176 Mar 18, 2008
It's easier than that...Avistar is a great deal for parking. Better than the airport parking. But, if leaving your car isn't your thing, take the train to the air train. It works great.Gets you right into JFK...no traffic
LIer

Tenafly, NJ

#177 Mar 18, 2008
For Flyboy...I don't know if your location is accurate, but if it is...I just want to let you know that I live in the center of the Island and I am right under the flight path of several planes daily. It's not just those people whose homes are near the airport.
ChristmasTree

Richmond Hill, NY

#178 Mar 19, 2008
LIer wrote:
For Flyboy...I don't know if your location is accurate, but if it is...I just want to let you know that I live in the center of the Island and I am right under the flight path of several planes daily. It's not just those people whose homes are near the airport.
Good post! Those who are in favor of more air traffic live in their own little deluded world. Either that, or they're trying to get a job with Soutwest Airlines, or RyanAir!NIMBY gets an undeserved bad name, it's simply people trying to maintain the quality of their neighborhood. Suffolk county shouldn't turn into Queens County so that airlines can make more money without any environmental responsibility. "Unrestrained capitalism is unrestrained evil".
LIer

Tenafly, NJ

#179 Mar 19, 2008
All I know is, I've lived on the Queens border. Been in flight paths and even experienced the Concord every day at 4pm. I would hate to have that move this way. Between LaGuardia, Newark and JFK, we can travel the world. The time to get there is only about an hour if you book off rush hour. Is it really worth the sacrifice to save 45 minutes off your travel time occasionally?
ChristmasTree

Shrub Oak, NY

#180 Mar 20, 2008
LIer wrote:
All I know is, I've lived on the Queens border. Been in flight paths and even experienced the Concord every day at 4pm. I would hate to have that move this way. Between LaGuardia, Newark and JFK, we can travel the world. The time to get there is only about an hour if you book off rush hour. Is it really worth the sacrifice to save 45 minutes off your travel time occasionally?
Good post, fellow Long Islander! WE live here, WE are positvely NIMBY. Let those pompous jerks who whine about jobs, progress, blah, blah, blah get their Uncle Harry to ferry them to the real airports so they can visit their families elsewhere. Maybe they'll forget to come back?
LIer

Tenafly, NJ

#181 Mar 20, 2008
From what I see here....the people for this idiocy, live either way out east, the north shore, or somewhere that only grants them convenience, without the penalty. Well...let's see if you feel the same when we ask for the flight paths to change and they start waking you up at 7 am on a sunny sunday or wake your children at 10 pm
ExpandMacarthurP lease

Brooklyn, NY

#182 May 3, 2008
As a frequent business traveler and resident of Huntington, can I tell you how bad LGA is? It is embarrassing. The US Air terminal is the newest one and it is over 20 years old. American is constantly late when they are not grounding their MD-80's. By contrast, Macarthur has quick security lines. Granted not many restaurants but it is clean and has room to add amenities. I have never been delayed and flying SW to Chicago is much easier than American out of LGA.

Spirit just added flights the other day which is great although they are flying to a city already served by Southwest. Yes it will knock prices down but what Long Islanders need is direct access to major cities. I love the idea that Ryan Air may be coming. JFK is terrible. But before that happens, we need direct flights to the West Coast, possibly midwest cities like Minneapolis, St. Louis or Milwaukee and why not either Mexico or Canada. Air Canada half the time uses small jets out of LGA.

I totally understand local residents concerns. We had friends that lived in Ronkonkoma and complained 20 years ago. But currently there is only 36 flights a day. I don't know what time ISP closes but even if it is open until midnight, that is 2 flights an hour. Doubling or tripling that capacity is still not a lot.

Someone commented that airlines are now leaving ISP. I don't consider losing Delta's whopping 2 flights a day to Atlanta a big deal. They only charged like $800 each way on those 30 seat regional planes.

What ISP needs is 1) Get Jetblue flights. They can get people to the west near LA and up north in Oakland as well as frequent business cities in the east like Boston. 2) Attract another regional airline like Frontier that will bring people west to places like Denver. 3) Try to get an international airline such as Air Canada/Jazz or Ryan Air. You can have 1, maybe 2 trips a day to Toronto and maybe 2 to Dublin.

That would not add an incredible amount of flights to the airport but would open up opportunities for LI citizens to travel for business and pleasure as well as attract tourists especially to the east end in the Summer. Jobs would be created expanding the terminal as well as working for the airlines. New hotels can be constructed and business might relocate close to the airport for access to the rest of the US as opposed to moving to places like Westchester and NJ which have better airport access.
LIer

Tenafly, NJ

#183 May 5, 2008
ExpandMacarthurPlease wrote:
As a frequent business traveler and resident of Huntington, can I tell you how bad LGA is? It is embarrassing. The US Air terminal is the newest one and it is over 20 years old. American is constantly late when they are not grounding their MD-80's. By contrast, Macarthur has quick security lines. Granted not many restaurants but it is clean and has room to add amenities. I have never been delayed and flying SW to Chicago is much easier than American out of LGA
Spirit just added flights the other day which is great although they are flying to a city already served by Southwest. Yes it will knock prices down but what Long Islanders need is direct access to major cities. I love the idea that Ryan Air may be coming. JFK is terrible. But before that happens, we need direct flights to the West Coast, possibly midwest cities like Minneapolis, St. Louis or Milwaukee and why not either Mexico or Canada. Air Canada half the time uses small jets out of LGA.
I totally understand local residents concerns. We had friends that lived in Ronkonkoma and complained 20 years ago. But currently there is only 36 flights a day. I don't know what time ISP closes but even if it is open until midnight, that is 2 flights an hour. Doubling or tripling that capacity is still not a lot.
Someone commented that airlines are now leaving ISP. I don't consider losing Delta's whopping 2 flights a day to Atlanta a big deal. They only charged like $800 each way on those 30 seat regional planes.
What ISP needs is 1) Get Jetblue flights. They can get people to the west near LA and up north in Oakland as well as frequent business cities in the east like Boston. 2) Attract another regional airline like Frontier that will bring people west to places like Denver. 3) Try to get an international airline such as Air Canada/Jazz or Ryan Air. You can have 1, maybe 2 trips a day to Toronto and maybe 2 to Dublin.
That would not add an incredible amount of flights to the airport but would open up opportunities for LI citizens to travel for business and pleasure as well as attract tourists especially to the east end in the Summer. Jobs would be created expanding the terminal as well as working for the airlines. New hotels can be constructed and business might relocate close to the airport for access to the rest of the US as opposed to moving to places like Westchester and NJ which have better airport access.
When you get woken on a Sunday morning at 6:30/7:00 because a plane took off, you can't sleep with your windows open because it wakes the children as late as 11:30, or the teachers have to wait for a plane to pass to speak to your child's class, then maybe you'll understand how we feel. Your concerns for a clean terminal are extremely self indulgent. You have other options. JFK and Newark. We have none.
420man

Crumlin, Ireland

#184 Jul 15, 2012
My ZING A DING - GOES OH OH OH

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 9
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ronkonkoma Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Guardian Angels to expand on LI to fight gang '... 48 min tee143 1
i want the old brentwood back (Apr '07) 3 hr Van Buren St Guy 1,456
News Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 16 hr DENG 121,924
News Twist in Tom Croci's path to war zone 17 hr Go to HELL 2
Murder 1995 - 1996 (Mar '07) 23 hr WolfOfWallStreet 40
News Four People Arrested During SLA Inspections May 22 JT Damillagitti 6
News LaGrange: Union support is needed for Heartland... May 21 a bridge is for sale 1

Ronkonkoma Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Ronkonkoma Mortgages