Lakewood Falls in Romeoville
village lifer

San Jose, CA

#21 Mar 8, 2010
as you can tell by my name i was born and raised in the ville (45 yrs now) and i will not leave the ville, yes it has changed over the years, but my thing about GANGS i wouldnt call it that to me its teenagers who have nothing to do with themselves are wondering the streets and want to be called a gang, no big murders, no really big crimes, i say every town will have its good and bad sections but that is everywhere and anywhere

“Blood Roses”

Since: Sep 09

Villa Park, IL

#22 Mar 8, 2010
Laura wrote:
It's nice to see some postive responses about Romeoville. I was under the impression that the area that was bad was near 53 as most of you had stated. I just want to make sure that I am moving to a some what safe area. I would hope that if there was gang activity, just like the have in most of the suburbs, they would keep to themselves and I just don't want to be harassed when I walk down the street with my dogs, etc and that my house isn't going to get broken into (which can happen anywhere) or I can't have family /friends over because it's to violent and trashy! I am all about diversity, but safety is my number one concern :)
Laura, I would just like to add something to the area's by 53, I have lived in the area off of 53 for over 30 years, my brother and my parents even longer then that, we are lifers and will stay lifers. I have always loved living here in Romeoville and now my family(husband and son) are living here as well. We have never had a problem here we have great neighbors always friendly, nothing bad to say about any of them that live here. We could be sitting outside and complete strangers will come up and say hello just to be friendly just to chit chat for a little while, then before you know it, you just made new friends. I hate the fact that the "older" side of town gets a bad wrap and really there is nothing wrong with it. Sure the houses look older because they are.
Ex-Viller

Elgin, IL

#23 Mar 8, 2010
I lived in the “W” section of Lakewood Falls (Whitmore, Wheatfield, and Wedgewood) and was glad to move out a few years ago. There were a lot of families that allowed their kids to run wild and unsupervised (nothing like an 11 year old screaming in the middle of the street at 3:00AM for no reason).

Police were on my street at least 2 times a week for domestic issues and loitering problems. I never felt “unsafe”, but just didn’t like the idea of my kids growing up with so many kids that caused trouble. The last straw was the new neighbor across the street having a move-in party that erupted into a full scale brawl on the front lawn. The duplex section off Airport is a Section 8 nightmare. That is a scary hood and I wouldn’t walk around there.

There were lots of people who don’t take care of their houses and yards, which brings down a neighborhood quickly. The good thing for you is that the Mayor lives in Phase 7, so I’m guessing there is more of a police presence there.

Since: Oct 09

Romeoville, IL

#24 Mar 9, 2010
I live in Romeoville in the Wesglen subdivision. One of the biggest reasons why I bought in Romeoville, instead of Plainfield (in that particular area) was... the homes in Plainfield were puny compared to the Romeoville homes. The neighbors in our area are pretty good with the exception of one. We have a little girl who isn't going to be in school anytime soon (she's 6 months) so it was perfect for us. The homes in Wesglen sell for 200-225K in this sh*t market.

The problems that we have had are more with the city of Romeoville ie. parking on the side of the streets, damn kids walking around way past curfew, taxes, and etc.

Romeoville, IL

#25 Mar 9, 2010
Laura wrote:
It's nice to see some postive responses about Romeoville. I was under the impression that the area that was bad was near 53 as most of you had stated. I just want to make sure that I am moving to a some what safe area. I would hope that if there was gang activity, just like the have in most of the suburbs, they would keep to themselves and I just don't want to be harassed when I walk down the street with my dogs, etc and that my house isn't going to get broken into (which can happen anywhere) or I can't have family /friends over because it's to violent and trashy! I am all about diversity, but safety is my number one concern :)
Yea the bad area is by 53. 90% of Bolingbrook is a dump. Stay away from there.
mysty

West Chicago, IL

#26 Mar 9, 2010
AroundtheVille wrote:
<quoted text>
Well your going to find traffic in most any area around here. Rt. 59 is horrible as well, but you'll find that in the Northwest burbs as well. Good news is that the interchange at Weber is scheduled to be rebuilt in the not too distant future and there is longer term work being done for a new interchange at Airport Rd/I-55. But that will be a few more years off.
It also depends on which of the Lakewoods you would be living in? There are something like seven or eight different phases.
Things to keep in mind... I have lived here for 7 years... it probably depends on the time of day you leave for work but there is an alternate way to 55 from Budler. Also, in a matter of maybe 5 years there WILL be an acess to 55 from Airport road... good luck!
mysty

West Chicago, IL

#27 Mar 9, 2010
Cappa wrote:
I live in Romeoville in the Wesglen subdivision. One of the biggest reasons why I bought in Romeoville, instead of Plainfield (in that particular area) was... the homes in Plainfield were puny compared to the Romeoville homes. The neighbors in our area are pretty good with the exception of one. We have a little girl who isn't going to be in school anytime soon (she's 6 months) so it was perfect for us. The homes in Wesglen sell for 200-225K in this sh*t market.
The problems that we have had are more with the city of Romeoville ie. parking on the side of the streets, damn kids walking around way past curfew, taxes, and etc.
I live on the same street at Mayor Noak and know him persoannly... stuff still happends, however, things have REALLY calmed down in the 7 years I have been here!
melons

AOL

#28 Mar 9, 2010
Cappa wrote:
<quoted text>
Yea the bad area is by 53. 90% of Bolingbrook is a dump. Stay away from there.
Many people have said on this thread that the bad area is by route 53. Do you mean it is the unattractive part of town, or is it bad with gangs, violence, crime, etc.? I drive through the neighborhoods in that part of the village, and never see anyone. On the other hand, I drive through Wesglen, Wespark, and Weslake and there I see mobs of teens that look like they are up to no good. Also, when I look at the blotter in the Bugle, it seems much of the crime is in the area on the west side of Weber Road. So, I was just wondering why people say that the area near route 53 is the "bad area"?

“Blood Roses”

Villa Park, IL

#29 Mar 10, 2010
melons wrote:
<quoted text>
Many people have said on this thread that the bad area is by route 53. Do you mean it is the unattractive part of town, or is it bad with gangs, violence, crime, etc.? I drive through the neighborhoods in that part of the village, and never see anyone. On the other hand, I drive through Wesglen, Wespark, and Weslake and there I see mobs of teens that look like they are up to no good. Also, when I look at the blotter in the Bugle, it seems much of the crime is in the area on the west side of Weber Road. So, I was just wondering why people say that the area near route 53 is the "bad area"?
Thank you "melons" couldn't have said it better myself!! The area by 53 is not the bad area and I have no idea why people keep saying that, it floors me and kind of makes me giggle a little!! You here of a lot of trouble on the west side of Weber so yeah I have no idea why my area is the bad area but at the same time I'm not saying my area doesn't get trouble either. I'm not afraid to take my son for a walk, I'm not afraid to let him play outside, we have a peaceful neighbor hood, so I don't get it. I just don't think people should judge just because our homes are not the brand new homes that have been built. Our homes are homes they have been lived in have memories. Not to say the newer homes don't have memories but just because a subdivison has new homes doesn't make it better and doesn't mean only good clean cut wholesome people move there either.

Romeoville, IL

#30 Mar 10, 2010
melons wrote:
<quoted text>
I see the same thing you see, I guess Wesglen and the newer subdivisions of Romeoville are dumps like the rest of the town. Should have moved to Lockport instead.

“Blood Roses”

Villa Park, IL

#31 Mar 10, 2010
Cappa wrote:
<quoted text>
I see the same thing you see, I guess Wesglen and the newer subdivisions of Romeoville are dumps like the rest of the town. Should have moved to Lockport instead.
Not to be mean but if your that unhappy try to sell your house and move. You just have to remember that no town is perfect whever you move too unless you buy 40 acres put your house right smack dab in the middle and then you will not have any neighbors on either side of you and you wouldn't have to put up with kids, cars, or just people in general. You can have your "perfect world" I'm just saying.
southsidesally

Romeoville, IL

#32 Mar 10, 2010
I live in Wesglen, Crimson Rose. You are right when you say that no place is perfect. But, in Wesglen we have a lot of people who let their teenagers run wild. We have a neighbor who allows the teens to run the show-lots of garbage, broken bottles, all over the place. If you complain the teens throw stuff on your lawn or vandalize. We have neighbors that think they own the block and yell at you simply because you looked out your window (doing anything illegal, perhaps?). A neighor has a motor bike and tear through the neighborhood; my nextdoor neighbor almost had an accident because they allow their kids to ride that motorbike. Cops present quite a bit.Neumann sold to anyone. Alot of subsidized homes (I wish I could get subsidized)--alot of empty homes. One house down the block even had illegal squatters hiding in a foreclosed home, last summer. Eighteen to twenty family members in a three bedroom home. Those who care about their property and area are punished for losers who don't.

“Blood Roses”

Villa Park, IL

#33 Mar 10, 2010
southsidesally wrote:
I live in Wesglen, Crimson Rose. You are right when you say that no place is perfect. But, in Wesglen we have a lot of people who let their teenagers run wild. We have a neighbor who allows the teens to run the show-lots of garbage, broken bottles, all over the place. If you complain the teens throw stuff on your lawn or vandalize. We have neighbors that think they own the block and yell at you simply because you looked out your window (doing anything illegal, perhaps?). A neighor has a motor bike and tear through the neighborhood; my nextdoor neighbor almost had an accident because they allow their kids to ride that motorbike. Cops present quite a bit.Neumann sold to anyone. Alot of subsidized homes (I wish I could get subsidized)--alot of empty homes. One house down the block even had illegal squatters hiding in a foreclosed home, last summer. Eighteen to twenty family members in a three bedroom home. Those who care about their property and area are punished for losers who don't.
To be honest with you I didn't know it was like that up in the homes by Weber and that is horrible!! There should be something done, I sure wouldn't want to live there. I guess this is where I have my problem, so many people are looking down at the homes off of 53 and say we have all the problems and that, it is the bad side of town, when from the way it sounds like to me they have more problems then we do on "our" side of town. Thats something else and I will admit I'm guilty of it too, the our side/this side of town, we are all Romeoville no matter where you live and the whole town should get together and fix the town and not just certain sides of a town. If you live here it's the whole town that is reflected on you and not just your subdivision. JMO

Romeoville, IL

#34 Mar 10, 2010
Crimson Rose wrote:
<quoted text>
Not to be mean but if your that unhappy try to sell your house and move. You just have to remember that no town is perfect whever you move too unless you buy 40 acres put your house right smack dab in the middle and then you will not have any neighbors on either side of you and you wouldn't have to put up with kids, cars, or just people in general. You can have your "perfect world" I'm just saying.
That's not a bad idea. lol.

Romeoville, IL

#35 Mar 10, 2010
southsidesally wrote:
I'm with you 100%. If one of those teens come on my yard or in my house, there will be fireworks inside my house.

One of my neighbors is a POS who doesn't even try to take care of his lawn. If you don't want to take care of your lawn, go get an apartment or townhouse or condo. A house is not for you.
southsidesally

Romeoville, IL

#36 Mar 10, 2010
Cappa wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm with you 100%. If one of those teens come on my yard or in my house, there will be fireworks inside my house.
One of my neighbors is a POS who doesn't even try to take care of his lawn. If you don't want to take care of your lawn, go get an apartment or townhouse or condo. A house is not for you.
Hey Cappa. Don't you just love the S.O.B.s that walk through your yard while you're entertaining guests on the deck or bbq-ing? Now I have to pay $3,000 for a freaking fence just to keep them out of my yard. Okay, I did let the dog sick 'em once (he, he, he), but that still didn't deter the jerks. Oh and let's not forget, how they have to leave a trail of garbage behind. And they're always gone by the time the cops arrive, so you can't charge them with criminal trespass. Association keeps reminding people not to walk through peoples' yards, but little good that does. When I grew up in Chicago, you walked through a person's yard univited, you got swatted with a broom. Today they would sue you.
LWF

Lemont, IL

#37 Mar 10, 2010
I live off of Weber & LWF Drive, for 9 yrs. This is the light before Taylor coming from I55. I like it, I've not been a victim of crime or seen any gang related incidences. I have a Plainfield address & if I had children they would go to Plainfield schools. There is crime everywhere. I used to live and Darien and they just had that family of 3 murdered, I know it doesn't seem to be random, but.. anything could happen anywhere. Good Luck
13 plus years

Bolingbrook, IL

#38 Mar 12, 2010
I have lived in Romeoville for 13+ years. I live in the Weslake subdivision which is in between some of the Lakewood Falls neighborhoods. I think the area is nice and there is gonna be riff raff wherever you are. The Romeoville PD refers tothem as gang wanna bes. My children attend the Plainfield schools which we have been happy with. I have heard people that have children in Romeoville schools who would like them to go elsewhere, especially at the high school level. Good luck!
LakewoodGuy

Aurora, IL

#39 Mar 19, 2010
I'm on the opposite end of Phase 7, over by Lockport/Airport Road and closer to Weber. I haven't seen any problems when it comes to Phase 7. People seem to talk up the gangs and crime a lot, but I haven't seen any evidence of it (knock on wood) - aside from some graffiti a few blocks away that was cleaned up rather quickly. About the only thing I've been disappointed in with this area is that we moved in a few years ago and our house has dropped a ton in value. But we're in it for the long haul, and it's really an opportunity for someone like you to get in while it's cheaper. But no, especially with Phase 7, this area is booming. Lots of businesses are sprouting up on Weber (there's a Meijer still in the works for Weber and Renwick) and downtown Plainfield gives you the downtown that Romeoville doesn't have. Not sure about the Crest Hill schools thing. I was under the impression that Phase 7 was under Plainfield, but it may be split. Double check that with your realtor if you are interested in that kind of thing.
Niner

United States

#40 Mar 19, 2010
I've lived in Lakewood Falls for over nine years and it's definitely changing. Plainfield address, Romeoville schools, Lockport park district and Will County police. Good grief! Lot of section 8 moving in too that Lakewood allows in like rats. Countless teenagers are cutting through my yard. I grew up in the Auburn-Gresham neighborhood where if you did that you got beaten or worse.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Romeoville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Sexual predators flock together... 33 min Juanita Broderick 4
Conservative morals? 1 hr Sharky 3
Construction on State st. STARTING Nov. 20th!? 1 hr Honesty wins 8
still? 7 hr CCryderSitsOnRifles 57
Cell phone taxes? New Lenox??? 7 hr Aghast 27
Keystone pipeline 7 hr Aghast 5
Mr Sulu vs Roy Moore 8 hr Eyes Rollin 83

Romeoville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance