Fan

Cicero, NY

#1 Jun 6, 2010
What are your upcoming seasons thoughts?
Hello

Cicero, NY

#2 Jun 6, 2010
Bright future!!
Isay

Watertown, NY

#3 Jun 6, 2010
If swaverely sucks again this yr, FIRE him.
NoT coaching

Oceanside, CA

#4 Jun 8, 2010
It's spelled swavely you ignorant person! It has nothing to do with him the kids have no talent and not as athletic as the teams they play... They do not have a bright future what so ever and it kills me to say that because I am a former captain of RFA football, the coaching staff is what keeps them in games not the athletic ability of the kids! Prove me wrong boys and do your best to prove me wrong! I bleed black n orange and wish this years team nothing but the best!!!!!
haha

Elmhurst, NY

#5 Jun 8, 2010
"I bleed black and orange" HA. What a tool. Get a life. Whats your last name Burke?
Jim Kelly

New York, NY

#6 Jun 8, 2010
NoT coaching wrote:
It's spelled swavely you ignorant person! It has nothing to do with him the kids have no talent and not as athletic as the teams they play... They do not have a bright future what so ever and it kills me to say that because I am a former captain of RFA football, the coaching staff is what keeps them in games not the athletic ability of the kids! Prove me wrong boys and do your best to prove me wrong! I bleed black n orange and wish this years team nothing but the best!!!!!
Dude, really? It's high school football get over it.

Since: Apr 10

Location hidden

#7 Jun 8, 2010
RFA is not what it used too since the base left.. I plaed with coach swave in 1991 on the 10-0 team (i also played on the 9-0-1 1992 team)..i too bleed black and orange so it pains me too see the program losing however i think the hiring of coach swavely was the right choice people give him some time he will get the program back on track. coach swavely and the rest of the staff is very capable of getting the job done just be patience
JMS

United States

#8 Sep 27, 2011
Beef,now that it is 2011, what do you think? I watched a few practices when I visited Rome last year (2010), and anyone with a football background could see that the squad was being run by an inferior head coach. I saw some fire from the OL coach, but this crew of coaches is simple inferior to what Tom Myslinski and Tom Hoke brought to the table.

Coach Mize was better than the coaches I played for in College, one of whom came from the Notre Dame organization. I was disappointed for the kids to see this inferior coaching leading them...I suspect that the whole program is now inferior...JV squad and Frosh squads from a leadership perspective. Things go in cycles, and it will take many years of committed leaders to turn the program around...it simply can not be done quickly, and the current bunch need to be replaced.

Knowing that the current bunch can not provide the leadership is the easy part...finding better ones and supporting them for years is the hard part. This is a task for people with thick skin and great committment...to be balanced, I know I could not provide such leadership...Swavely must be hating life right about now...but, he was foolish enough to take the spot...he has learned that he aspired to a position he was unqualified for. I hope this does not damage his life or his family too much.

By the way, Swavely really needs to understand what leaders do...they do not get or stay fat and sloppy....no one respects this lack of personal discipline....kids certainly don't "put out" for undisciplined people. Sheesh...Tom Hoke and Myslinski were truly good athletes who had good/great playing careers...Swavely played for a dippy college...who would be inspired by him? Was he really ther best option when Hoke moved on??
beef wellington wrote:
RFA is not what it used too since the base left.. I plaed with coach swave in 1991 on the 10-0 team (i also played on the 9-0-1 1992 team)..i too bleed black and orange so it pains me too see the program losing however i think the hiring of coach swavely was the right choice people give him some time he will get the program back on track. coach swavely and the rest of the staff is very capable of getting the job done just be patience
no joke

Oneida, NY

#9 Sep 29, 2011
beef wellington is right rfa football died when the base closed alot of great players came from griff 86 grad. its sad with all the people in rome and we suck is it the coach or is the pool of players we have. they seem to be a lot smaller . good luck any ways. havent been to a game since the 80s
JMS

United States

#10 Sep 29, 2011
The base certainly provided a bunch of good players...but, RFA still has a large student body to pull talent from...they should not be uncompetitive. Once again, watching the current head coach conduct practices would demonstrate to knowledgable football people why the recent few years results have been so poor. There is no pleasure in pointing out that people are not capable...but, the current coaching staff is not very capable.
no joke wrote:
beef wellington is right rfa football died when the base closed alot of great players came from griff 86 grad. its sad with all the people in rome and we suck is it the coach or is the pool of players we have. they seem to be a lot smaller . good luck any ways. havent been to a game since the 80s
jeremy

Rome, NY

#11 Oct 27, 2011
the coaches need to roam the halls of rfa to find the real talent! that's the problem all the good atheletes are walking tha halls. the only players on the squad are those who have been kissing the coaches butts since pop warner! wake up let the good kids play not rhe butt kissers!
lol

New York, NY

#12 Oct 29, 2011
"let the good kids play"?....last I checked the "good players" needed to SIGN THEMSELVES UP! if they are to lazy to sign up, they obviously dont want to be a part of a team
JMS

United States

#13 Oct 29, 2011
Now don't get too crazy applying logic while asessing the problem.
lol wrote:
"let the good kids play"?....last I checked the "good players" needed to SIGN THEMSELVES UP! if they are to lazy to sign up, they obviously dont want to be a part of a team
jeremy

Rome, NY

#14 Oct 31, 2011
SIGN UP? WHY YOU MORON! CAN'T YOU SEE THE PROBLEM. IF THESE KIDS DID SIGN UP THEY WOULD BE CUT OFF THE SQUAD ANYWAYS,BECAUSE IN ROME SPORTS ITS ALL A CLIQUE. YOU HAVE TO KISS ASS TO PLAY AND PEOPLE DO HAVE PRIDE AND REFUSE TO KISS BUTT.SO KIDS DO NOT SIGN UP BECAUSE THEY KNOW THEY WILL NOT BE GIVEN A FAIR SHOT AT MAKING THE TEAM!HEY YOU HIGH SCHOOLERS READING THIS POST PLEASE RESPOND AND LET ME KNOW IF THIS STATEMENT IS TRUE OR NOT. EXPOSE THE SYSTEM FOR WHAT IT IS ALL UNFAIR BULLCRAP! MAKE IT BETTER FOF FUTURE PLAYERS.
JMS

United States

#15 Oct 31, 2011
Oy vey....(big sigh with an eye roll). Favoritism always exists to some degree regarding coaching decisions or personnel decisions in any kind of an organization...but as a whole, coaches that have losing records do not play favorites on a wholesale basis just to play kids who are inferior yet favored...this is silliness that people who go to Cortland SUNY would suggest is so (just a jab at Cortand for fun...don't go getting crazy and hate on me about Cortland SUNY actually being an Ivy League caliber education).

The biggest problem is the coaching...with RFA's large student body to pull talent from...with a City full of people supporting them...with arguably a great facility to practice at and play games at...there is no way the program should be imploding as it has for three straight years...each year getting progressively worse results.

The biggest failure is the leadership that has chosen and supported the current coaching staff. Clearly the head coach lacks energy and does not have an ability to motivate kids...I can't say much about the assistants...they might be great under a better leader. What I know is what I see when observing practices led by the current head coach...no energy on the field by him or the squad...too much standing around...too much standing and talking or thinking by the coach. Well prepared coaching staffs have practices moving along quickly and with intensity...if the coaches/leaders don't have it...the kids will not have it...it's not hard to understand.

Under the leadership of Tom Myslinski and Tom Hoke...the kids were moving crisply from drill to drill...the coaches had plans for what was to be done...and they largely executed the plan...and the kids were motivated by these coaches who expected a lot...and the kids ultimately got rewarded by their own improvements...chances to play in college along with possible scholarships..and the reward of earning some higher self respect by being on a competitive team. With Swavely, unfortunately, the motivating factors largely no longer exist...we are wasting Rome's resources, and worse yet, the kids are not getting the benefits.

Ted Swavely is probably a great guy, but, he is clearly not going to lead RFA out of the woods that he directed them into. Ted's 3 year record demonstrates that change must occur....many others could not do worse, so, my vote is to institute some change...at least try to get better. I can not support giving Ted more time as the head coach...if we did give him more time, what are we teaching the kids?

If Ted asks for more time as a head coach, I'd have to say he is being selfish and should be removed from the program as a whole.
jeremy wrote:
SIGN UP? WHY YOU MORON! CAN'T YOU SEE THE PROBLEM. IF THESE KIDS DID SIGN UP THEY WOULD BE CUT OFF THE SQUAD ANYWAYS,BECAUSE IN ROME SPORTS ITS ALL A CLIQUE. YOU HAVE TO KISS ASS TO PLAY AND PEOPLE DO HAVE PRIDE AND REFUSE TO KISS BUTT.SO KIDS DO NOT SIGN UP BECAUSE THEY KNOW THEY WILL NOT BE GIVEN A FAIR SHOT AT MAKING THE TEAM!HEY YOU HIGH SCHOOLERS READING THIS POST PLEASE RESPOND AND LET ME KNOW IF THIS STATEMENT IS TRUE OR NOT. EXPOSE THE SYSTEM FOR WHAT IT IS ALL UNFAIR BULLCRAP! MAKE IT BETTER FOF FUTURE PLAYERS.
JMS

United States

#16 Nov 7, 2011
Rats - I just gathered some facts that I was not previously aware of - if my research is correct, RFA now has about 1800 students in 4 grades (9 - 12)- when I attended, we had roughly 2100 in 3 grades (10 - 12). Clearly, this dictates that there is less talent in the school to work with - which makes it much more difficult to compete in anything (sports, academics, etc.).

I don't know where RFA now stands in student population size compared to the Syracuse teams RFA now competes wih, but if the Syracuse teams have substantially larger student bodies to work with, RFA should be changing leagues to be in the correct competition level, or perhaps RFA and RCH could combine their student bodies for one, more competitive team.

I still don't like the lack of energy I see from Swavely's operating methods, but the much reduced student body size should be fairly factored into RFA's ability to compete.
lies

Watertown, NY

#17 Nov 21, 2011
jeremy wrote:

Ok thats untrue!! You get cut from the team if you cant play!! Swaverly wants to win and he is trying hard but he is only gonna give playing time to the kids who are dedicated to him and the team. If your kid sucks he isnt gonna play and thats that!
REYNOLDS

Rome, NY

#18 Nov 22, 2011
THERE IS A CLIQUE IN ROME IF YOU KISS THE COACHS ASS ALL THE WAY FROM POP WARNER UP THEN YOU WILL PALY. ITS NOT BASED ON TALENT YOU DUMB ASS LIES! YOU KNOW NOTHING OF ROME POLITICS OBVIOUSLY.PLAYS, I COORECTED IT YOU MORON.CORRECTED ALSO
HAHAHAHAHA.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rome Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Why are tests scores so low at RFA 58 min Hazard 121
NYS Child support thieves 1 hr mad bro 70
Tanning 1 hr NotALocal 3
Mary Jo Vaughn (Jul '14) 4 hr hateyourface 34
Can tell its summer 7 hr Slim shady 4
Do you approve of Joseph R Fusco Jr. as Mayor o... (Jun '12) 8 hr Slim shady 53
w dominick st women. next to Rhine Haus. 9 hr sick of the horn 1
More from around the web

Rome People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE