The economy needs a boost

The economy needs a boost

Posted in the Rome Forum

Concerned Citizen

Ridgewood, NY

#1 Aug 9, 2013
Let's see if we can have a serious discussion. I am concerned about the economy becasue I think too many people are taking advantage of too many programs (welfare, disability, 99 weeks of unemployment and on and on ...). At some point in the near future there will be more voters (greater than 50%) who are receiving government aid) than those not receiving government aid. At that point we fall into a death spiral where fewer and fewer workers are left to support more and more people on government assistance who are then going to vote for politician who are going to buy their vote with even more programs. WHAT ARE WE SUPPOSED TO DO???? Thanks.
mr football my azz

Yorkville, NY

#2 Aug 10, 2013
MOVE TO CaNADA YOU IDIOT IF YOU don't like the USA!
mr football my azz

Yorkville, NY

#3 Aug 10, 2013
OR join the rdest & collest WELFARE! there is olved you problem,,,that was sure EASY!
observer

Utica, NY

#4 Aug 10, 2013
mr. cannot spell
Good Question

Syracuse, NY

#5 Aug 12, 2013
Concerned Citizen wrote:
Let's see if we can have a serious discussion. I am concerned about the economy becasue I think too many people are taking advantage of too many programs (welfare, disability, 99 weeks of unemployment and on and on ...). At some point in the near future there will be more voters (greater than 50%) who are receiving government aid) than those not receiving government aid. At that point we fall into a death spiral where fewer and fewer workers are left to support more and more people on government assistance who are then going to vote for politician who are going to buy their vote with even more programs. WHAT ARE WE SUPPOSED TO DO???? Thanks.
I dont have a cure all answer and I hate to preach, but, the desire to get a job is not as universal of a quest as it used to be. Sad social statement. Cracking down on cheats and frauds is a start but ultimately not a cure. Social changes are needed. In the mean time we can pray for some moral candidates to step up and then we can personally get involved insuring they keep their promises. Thanks for an interesting thread.
scalding

Utica, NY

#6 Aug 12, 2013
the usa is going down down down with no rebound!!!!

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#7 Aug 17, 2013
Good Question wrote:
<quoted text>I dont have a cure all answer and I hate to preach, but, the desire to get a job is not as universal of a quest as it used to be. Sad social statement. Cracking down on cheats and frauds is a start but ultimately not a cure. Social changes are needed. In the mean time we can pray for some moral candidates to step up and then we can personally get involved insuring they keep their promises. Thanks for an interesting thread.
Good start. And we need to bring back the social stigma against illegitimate births, dependence on food stamps and welfare when one is able to work, and other current practices that are dragging us all down.
Abandon Ship

Syracuse, NY

#8 Aug 17, 2013
RegularCrewChief wrote:
<quoted text>
Good start. And we need to bring back the social stigma against illegitimate births, dependence on food stamps and welfare when one is able to work, and other current practices that are dragging us all down.
I couldnt agree more! The mentality that its "cool" to get over on the "system" will be the downfall of all of us. I believe the "system" was meant to be a helping hand in time of need not a means of perpetual support for the otherwise able bodied person. It is sad to say but the concept of SHAME is sinking fast. I hope this changes soon.
worng

Brooklyn, NY

#9 Aug 17, 2013
the "system" is to promote self reliance. Read the Constitution, you know, the law of the land
Abandon Ship

Syracuse, NY

#10 Aug 17, 2013
worng wrote:
the "system" is to promote self reliance. Read the Constitution, you know, the law of the land
Excuse me for being wrong. I must have overlooked the part of the constitution that speaks about rent subsidies, medicaid fraud,and so on...

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#11 Aug 18, 2013
worng wrote:
The System, as it is, does NOT promote self reliance. NO WHERE in the Constitution will you find the welfare crutch system we have in place today.
Greatful Roman

United States

#12 Aug 24, 2013
RegularCrewChief wrote:
<quoted text>
The System, as it is, does NOT promote self reliance. NO WHERE in the Constitution will you find the welfare crutch system we have in place today.
The problem is not the constitution. It's the laws we pass under the constitution that allow (entitle?) people to a free ride. This is turn is caused by the politicians whom we are stupid enough to keep voting into office. We could fix this but until the politicians stop bribing certain segments of the voting population with tax dollars this will not stop. Now Obama is in town bribing students with the promise of free tuition. Unfortunately the students are not smart enough to know that without any jobs there college education is useless.
confused

Brooklyn, NY

#13 Aug 25, 2013
RegularCrewChief wrote:
<quoted text>
you just...wow lmao poor sarcasm or just a moron
confused

Brooklyn, NY

#14 Aug 25, 2013
Abandon Ship wrote:
<quoted text>Excuse me for being wrong. I must have overlooked the part of the constitution that speaks about rent subsidies, medicaid fraud,and so on...
is this more poor sarcasm or a moron, wow these people aren't even worth talking to
Economics Man

United States

#15 Sep 7, 2013
I think if the government would stop lying to us we'd be in a better position to vote for the correct politicians. The government tells us that they created all of these jobs and the unemployment rate is dropping but the truth is we are losing more jobs than are being created. The truth is the unemployment rate is dropping because there are large segments of the population who have stopped looking for work. The truth is the jobs that are being created are part time (thanks Obamacare) and low paying. The truth is the actual unemployment rate is going higher and higher and will not drop until we elect a more conservative president.
I want whats best

Santa Barbara, CA

#16 Sep 10, 2013
Economics Man wrote:
I think if the government would stop lying to us we'd be in a better position to vote for the correct politicians. The government tells us that they created all of these jobs and the unemployment rate is dropping but the truth is we are losing more jobs than are being created. The truth is the unemployment rate is dropping because there are large segments of the population who have stopped looking for work. The truth is the jobs that are being created are part time (thanks Obamacare) and low paying. The truth is the actual unemployment rate is going higher and higher and will not drop until we elect a more conservative president.
I never response to these but this is the first topic that is not idiotic or a personal insult or a libelous comment. I have to say that I agree. Obama lucks out with the Russians and should be called Mr. Magoo for those of you old enough to remember the cartoon.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rome Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
amgie hilderbrant 2 hr deb 40
Elks 2 hr Concerned Member 4
Rome & Utica Topix 3 hr Johnny D Fish 21
RPD Harassing Muslims In Rome 5 hr Reginald Frapping... 27
William and Todd Lashen (Dec '10) 10 hr Fact 43
William M. Lashen can no longer scam anyone 10 hr Fact 5
Chas P. Crippen, 25 15 hr Booer 2

Rome Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance