rome catholic school

Posted in the Rome Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
mario

Waltham, MA

#1 Mar 28, 2012
Great school, atmosphere and staff . It's a great alternative to public school!!!
Because

New York, NY

#2 Mar 29, 2012
Because it's not government schooling where everything is messed up an by government
NO thanks

Rome, NY

#3 Mar 29, 2012
Education/teaching there not worth that amount of $.
Former Student

Brooklyn, NY

#4 Mar 29, 2012
I use to go there.

* Alot of the teachers are not NYS Certified and dont have Master's Degree

* Hardly any sports teams (Did they ever get there Varsity Football program restarted?)

* Outdated computers and text books

* High tutition that is not worth it
Jhew

Watertown, NY

#5 Mar 29, 2012
Teachers at any private schools require no degrees what so ever.
ROCCO

Rome, NY

#6 Apr 18, 2012
sucks!
concerned parent

New York, NY

#7 Apr 18, 2012
Actually the guidelines were changed and they are certified. However... I don't have the kind of money they want to send my child there.
rfa grad

Watertown, NY

#8 Apr 18, 2012
NO thanks wrote:
Education/teaching there not worth that amount of $.
So the fact that 100% of the students graduate and the 93% go on to higher education,is meaning less to you and not worth it.You must not be a parent.Just go through the halls at RFA (no disrespect meant),and see if there is a difference.Things have changed, its not a safe place.Most of the students of the same grade level are ahead to the students at RFA.Some say it costs to much but what price can you put on education and saftey.The parents should just cut out beer, cigs, weed and what ever hobbies they have to send their kids there.
Former Student

Montgomery, AL

#9 Apr 18, 2012
I went to RCH. First of all you cant discredit a teacher if they dont have masters degree. NYS is very strict and the majority of states dont even require a masters to teach. Yes they dont have close to the amount of classes as RFA does, but what are all those classes worth with all the distractions you have at RFA. The nice thing about smaller schools is you get more one on one attention. Yes, the tuition is high but thats because they dont get funding like RFA does. As far as outdated materials.... Does math and science really change so much year to year that you need new books every september? And sports... well it is what it is. You get what you get with the numbers you have. RFA sports, although still striving, have been lacking major talent since Griffis AFB closed and everyone left.
3 buildings

New York, NY

#10 Apr 18, 2012
I have three kids in three different school buildings. One is RCS. We have had two different elementary schools and then Staley, Strough, RFA and RCS.

I have to say it has been our experience that RCS is by far the best of the three. The staff is amazing. They care about my child as much as I do. The education has been top notch. Way better than public school.(My son's friends in the same grade are so far behind him) They have a great robotics program, teach foreign language from the start, music, art, pe start at Preschool.

Yes, it is expensive. But seriously, for the cost of a dinner out a week for my family we can send a kid to private school. We are even going to be transferring in our middle son next year. So that means we can't eat out twice a week... well worth it!!

As far as sports go they do have some sports programs and what they don't have they combine with other schools so that the kids can still play.
Lady Ga Ga

Brooklyn, NY

#11 Apr 19, 2012
I graduated from RCH as well..
Yes although the sports has gone down hill.. it does give ALL students the oppertunity to play .. unlike RFA where like 300 kids go out for a team and only 15 get on.. Who cares about new text books.. we are still learning what we need to learn for regents eams, etc.. There are rarely fights, no cops or security gaurds needed, and we receive Catholic Holidays off ;-) HAHA!!
RCS

Avon, CT

#12 Apr 19, 2012
rfa grad wrote:
<quoted text>So the fact that 100% of the students graduate and the 93% go on to higher education,is meaning less to you and not worth it.You must not be a parent.Just go through the halls at RFA (no disrespect meant),and see if there is a difference.Things have changed, its not a safe place.Most of the students of the same grade level are ahead to the students at RFA.Some say it costs to much but what price can you put on education and saftey.The parents should just cut out beer, cigs, weed and what ever hobbies they have to send their kids there.
93%. Seriously what's in the graduating class 12 students???Really there's not even close to 20.
rfa grad

Watertown, NY

#13 Apr 19, 2012
RCS wrote:
<quoted text>93%. Seriously what's in the graduating class 12 students???Really there's not even close to 20.
That stat was from the 60s when they had a lot more kids,even though the numbers are down the stats remain the same,and the quality is there.Its still a better place for most kids.Lets face it RFA is a scary place for some kids.Just their lack of protection in everyday life at RFA is over bearing.Forget it they isn`t any support for the school.
I GET IT

Rome, NY

#14 Apr 19, 2012
Overprotected mom rfa grad? You act like Rfas a prison.Let your child experience freedom or in college he will go crazy.
rfa grad

Watertown, NY

#15 Apr 19, 2012
I GET IT wrote:
Overprotected mom rfa grad? You act like Rfas a prison.Let your child experience freedom or in college he will go crazy.
NOT A MOM just a casual observer.Take a stroll down the hall at RFA you will see.4/11/2012 a an RFA student was in court for something he did/said to a teacher.He was just a regular kid with too much freedom and peer presure.Your right about one thing, freedom, yeah freedom to to be in a safe place.
Nice

Bronx, NY

#16 Apr 19, 2012
To RFA Grad: I think you are right. I am struggling with making the choice to send my soon to be 5th grader there. I don't think there is a price you can put on a great education, a safe school, and caring teachers. The one thing I do struggle with is knowing that the graduating classes are tiny. I think this year's has 25 students. Is this a true 'high school experience'?
99 child 2 RCH teachers

Cortland, NY

#17 Apr 19, 2012
RCH is a great school, that employes many qualified teachers and administrators. Not only am I a graduate but all of my siblings are and my parent's use to teach there. I still meet former students of my parent's that know me by site after all these years. It may not have all the sports offered else wear but they do have enough to get them by and do make accommodations for students to participate in a desired sport through other schools. I know b/c one of my siblings did just that. It is pricy but definitely worth the one on one treatment from the teachers and the actual relationships that form with class mates and teachers. The big difference if I had to put it on words is the all staff truly cares about every student and became a teacher or administrator to ensure the children they came in contact with were better people b/c of something they taught them. They truly foster a great learning environment and I would recommend anyone send their children to RCH now named RCS.
rfa grad

Watertown, NY

#18 Apr 19, 2012
Nice wrote:
To RFA Grad: I think you are right. I am struggling with making the choice to send my soon to be 5th grader there. I don't think there is a price you can put on a great education, a safe school, and caring teachers. The one thing I do struggle with is knowing that the graduating classes are tiny. I think this year's has 25 students. Is this a true 'high school experience'?
Liminted but the same thing,proms, bonfires,homecomming,yeah and even trouble only on a small scale.If more people think differently there would be more students and less cost.
Tough call

Brooklyn, NY

#19 Apr 21, 2012
The safety surpasses any possible public school and because of today's killings in public schools, mainly attributed to bullying, one can gather from simple math that the less students you have the less you face with these problems. Catholic schools honor and respect Jesus, Christ and all Saints. There is a constant underlying nudge of your conscious, simply doing what is right rather than wrong because of the religious education piece. The downside to Catholic schools is that the overall education simply isn't there. Public schools get public dollars. Again refer to basic math, the more money you have, the higher paid teachers, the more programs to offer, the brighter the student. After that the failure/succcess rate is based completely on the students applying themselves or lack thereof. Safety over education or education or safety....only a parent can make this choice.
Lady Ga Ga

Brooklyn, NY

#20 Apr 21, 2012
I received a fine education @ RCH. Enough for me to be in grad school right now.. So it is not like the students are not getting educated, their options are just limited. Options of courses, sports, etc..

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rome Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Frank Tallarino 24 min West Utica 1
Old Marcy Insane Asylum (Oct '10) 6 hr Will 883
Police Won't Give Me Restraining Order or Order... (Dec '11) 7 hr suzie q 9
Big Daddys on James St. (Sep '14) 13 hr Stale roll baby 47
Professional Help 21 hr Jason 28
Smokers lose to the dogs Sun Mary 12
Erie Canal Village - Makeover or Close It? Sun NotALocal 24
More from around the web

Rome People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE