Since: Jan 08

Rome

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 16, 2014

Joe, you're sowing pearls among swine. But don't give up.
B52 Piliot

Syracuse, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 16, 2014

Joe S 1212 wrote:
Those B52's I'm talking about were on the pads next to the hangers on Hanger Road. Some of us remember when we could be on perimeter road and watch those silver bombs be brought back to the bomb area.
Yes, all the planes on the nose docks and ready pad could fly and had bombs on them, not just cruise missles until the last years of the base.
Sorry frankcor, i thought I could impart some accurate information to the masses.
well Joe...you have No clue!!!!!!the B52s parked next to the PHASE DOCKS NEAR hanger road were in DA PHASEDOCKS...that means they were OUT OF SERVICE to have many things done..like change TIRES ENGINES>>>NOT because they could NOT fly! That's why IDIOTS like YOU drove around PERIMITOR ROAD to look at "DA PLANES" when real people worked on them or flew them!!!!! GO get a WARM MILK!
B52 Piliot

Syracuse, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 16, 2014

OHHHH Frankie...Go have a WARM MILK with JOE!
Alan

Saint Joseph, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 16, 2014

TACOM owns the tank. Built in the 1940s has been out of service for MANY years. The gun has been DISABLED, rendered incapable of firing. The engine and transmission MIGHT have run when parked, but as with anything that sits without maintenance in the weather for YEARS, they have long since become inoperable. There is a current effort to restore the appearance of the vehicle, But NO attempt will be made (that I am aware of, and I am a member of the organization restoring the vehicle) to restore any engine function. I am not certain that the engine remains. It took a crane to remove it from it's display pad, it will take one to put it back. There are current M1 tanks on display across the current in the same condition, demilitarized and cannibalized no longer capable of any meaningful military substantial function. Someone said $850 to make it run, that would not paint the vehicle, much less make it run. $8500 might find an engine of indeterminate condition, $85,000 might make it move under it's own power. I don't think at this point the Army or DoD or the Russians would care if this vehicle ran. There are hundreds like it that are operational, some fully operational having only recently come out of service from third world countries. The gun is capable of severe damage to light armored vehicles and buildings, but the armor is lighter than a modern MRAP and easily defeated. SALT II would not have considered this vehicle as any part of the military inventory. It has not been a viable part of the US Army inventory since 1950. There are far more modern vehicles used as displays, they are all just displays.

Rome

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 16, 2014

As a scout/recon tank with such light armor, it is likely its survivability depended on its ability to run away from main battle tanks. That was the theory of anti-tank Sheridans that could fire missiles at T-72s and such and then run like heck.
His story

Canastota, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 17, 2014

B52 Piliot wrote:
<quoted text>well Joe...you have No clue!!!!!!the B52s parked next to the PHASE DOCKS NEAR hanger road were in DA PHASEDOCKS...that means they were OUT OF SERVICE to have many things done..like change TIRES ENGINES>>>NOT because they could NOT fly! That's why IDIOTS like YOU drove around PERIMITOR ROAD to look at "DA PLANES" when real people worked on them or flew them!!!!! GO get a WARM MILK!
I think it is important to have an accurate understanding of history (especially military history). Thank you for providing first hand knowledge to us.
Jeb

Canastota, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 17, 2014

Alan wrote:
TACOM owns the tank. Built in the 1940s has been out of service for MANY years. The gun has been DISABLED, rendered incapable of firing. The engine and transmission MIGHT have run when parked, but as with anything that sits without maintenance in the weather for YEARS, they have long since become inoperable. There is a current effort to restore the appearance of the vehicle, But NO attempt will be made (that I am aware of, and I am a member of the organization restoring the vehicle) to restore any engine function. I am not certain that the engine remains. It took a crane to remove it from it's display pad, it will take one to put it back. There are current M1 tanks on display across the current in the same condition, demilitarized and cannibalized no longer capable of any meaningful military substantial function. Someone said $850 to make it run, that would not paint the vehicle, much less make it run.$8500 might find an engine of indeterminate condition,$85,000 might make it move under it's own power. I don't think at this point the Army or DoD or the Russians would care if this vehicle ran. There are hundreds like it that are operational, some fully operational having only recently come out of service from third world countries. The gun is capable of severe damage to light armored vehicles and buildings, but the armor is lighter than a modern MRAP and easily defeated. SALT II would not have considered this vehicle as any part of the military inventory. It has not been a viable part of the US Army inventory since 1950. There are far more modern vehicles used as displays, they are all just displays.
This tank is where?
Habanero Harv

Oswego, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 20, 2014

check the skank in the tank..rank!
Wasted

Oswego, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 20, 2014

B52 piliot wrote:
well Joes s 1212...YOU are the doesn't know his ass from a hole in the ground! They did NOT move unusable planes around during the cold war you IDIOT! The spy sats did follow our planes, but we also knew when they were over us so no planes moved ! why would we wasted time and manpower moving planes that couldn't fly according to you because of metal fatigue,. well they MUST have been able to fly because we have none left over from the 1990's! You are a bigger IDIOT than Francor! we also had to tell the Russians when we destroyed a B52 you IDIOT! part of the SALT treaty!!!!!!
I doubt very seriously you have any knowledge of what is going on. 225 was scheduled for demo in compliance with the SALT treaty agreement. As many as 50 operational AC's were flown to the Bone Yard to be dismantled. 225 on the other hand was suppose to go for destruction, but they choose to strip it, and allow it to be a static display AC. That information was given to the people who monitor the treaties to ensure it was not an operational AC and that the AF complied with the agreement. Instead of sending it to the Bone Yard to be cut up they allowed it to remain here. Try to understand when AC or anything become too cost prohibited to keep up the government scraps or destroys it. To put this into prospective did you ever own a car that was too costly to repair? Well what happened to it? You scrapped it. Well the government does the same thing. Also for your information on moving operational AC around. We did it all the time. We also painted silhouettes of AC on flight lines, Tanks made of wood, and even ships to fake the Russians out. You would be surprised what we did.

Rome

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 21, 2014

Did the Stuart scout tanks have heaters? I imagine spending the night in one during winter in Europe would be akin to sleeping in an ice box.
Lol

Oswego, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sunday Jun 22

Judged:

frankcor wrote:
Did the Stuart scout tanks have heaters? I imagine spending the night in one during winter in Europe would be akin to sleeping in an ice box.
No Frank they only had heat when the motor was running. They did not keep it running 24-7 either especially at night when sound carries a long distance. It gave away their position.
Vance the Vet

Canastota, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Saturday Jul 12

I think I've seen this tank in front of the VFW or perhaps the legion. Great piece of history.

Rome

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Saturday Jul 12

It's the Legion. Is there any update on progress in the restoration?
Vance the Vet

Canastota, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sunday Jul 13

You're correct , it is the legion. Not aware of any progress assuming they are planning a restoration.
Habanero Harv

Oswego, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Wednesday Jul 16

send it back to war!
Urine trouble

Canastota, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Thursday Jul 17

What did the tankers do if they had to urinate? Did the Stuart come with sanitary facilities?

Rome

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Thursday Jul 17

To a tanker, the world is their sanitary facility. Sitting on a tank, you can urinate pretty much any where you choose. :)
Urine trouble

Rome, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Friday Jul 18

Suppose they also took a SH!T from atop the tank....how many tanks did YOU drive Frankcor...you sure know a lot about them....

Rome

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Friday Jul 18

I served with an armored cavalry squadron of the 1st Armored Division attached to NATO forces. I was a track commander but got to drive tanks, anti-tank tracks and APCs but only if the brass weren't watching. It wasn't as much fun if we weren't getting mud on the roof :) I never sat in anything as lightly armored as the M-3.
Pete Da Third

Camden, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Saturday Jul 19

frankcor wrote:
I served with an armored cavalry squadron of the 1st Armored Division attached to NATO forces. I was a track commander but got to drive tanks, anti-tank tracks and APCs but only if the brass weren't watching. It wasn't as much fun if we weren't getting mud on the roof :) I never sat in anything as lightly armored as the M-3.
soyou were a wanna be tankdriver....wow wee big DEAL!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 101 - 120 of122
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

89 Users are viewing the Rome Forum right now

Search the Rome Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Rome Police Officer JASON PAUL PEDOPHILE RAPIST 23 min Deserves it Fat Pedopuss 10
hey adam moore got engaged 27 min Drew lookalike 6
Jason Paul wins Joe Fusco Public Safety Award 39 min mama june 11
john ciccotti moving back to Rome 50 min Mickey 37
Pretty girls out in force 1 hr mama june 33
honor america days is a big hoax 1 hr mama june 6
whatever happened to benji ross? 2 hr buh bye benji 6
•••
•••
•••
Rome Dating

more search filters

less search filters