Rome legion's M3 Stuart Tank

“America: Pussified?”

Since: Nov 08

Stittville

#23 Nov 8, 2013
LoL wrote:
<quoted text>
You must have your tanks confused. That tank has not and I repeat has not run in over 50 years. Kinda hard considering it has no working engine or transmission in it. The way people here take care of these things is a shame. Rumor has it unless the group starts to do a better job on the BUFF its going to be taken back also. Don't think they won't either. That's what they said about the Memphis Belle, and the Air Force took it back because they were letting it rot. Even after the city built its own island and covered building for it was not good enough. So they keeping screwing around and there won't be a tank to worry about. Just ask the guys in Verona about the crap they go through with theirs, or the AL in New Hartford. Now those guys show some pride in their charges they take care of them.
That is precisely why my organization, the US army brotherhood of tankers is stepping in...Men who have worked on tanks and have that knowledge so we can repair to standard.

As for the price its going to be a full restore, Its going to cost quite a bit, There are a lot of damaged or missing parts. The tube needs a good punch, and cleaning, The interior is rotted. Parts of the exterior need to be fabricated, welded, cleaned, and painted. And the logistics are going to cost, I cant sand blast in the open. I need an enclosed location. I have received donations of many tools and paints, that took a large chunk out of the cost. I'm now looking at anywhere between 10k and 20k, That price included the replacement parts, moving the vehicle, And a few other surprises we are working on.

If you don't want to help out on this project that is fine. but do not ridicule me for doing it, Like i said in an earlier post, "If not Me, who. if not now, when".

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#24 Nov 8, 2013
Abramstank19k wrote:
<quoted text>
That is precisely why my organization, the US army brotherhood of tankers is stepping in...Men who have worked on tanks and have that knowledge so we can repair to standard.
As for the price its going to be a full restore, Its going to cost quite a bit, There are a lot of damaged or missing parts. The tube needs a good punch, and cleaning, The interior is rotted. Parts of the exterior need to be fabricated, welded, cleaned, and painted. And the logistics are going to cost, I cant sand blast in the open. I need an enclosed location. I have received donations of many tools and paints, that took a large chunk out of the cost. I'm now looking at anywhere between 10k and 20k, That price included the replacement parts, moving the vehicle, And a few other surprises we are working on.
If you don't want to help out on this project that is fine. but do not ridicule me for doing it, Like i said in an earlier post, "If not Me, who. if not now, when".
I am going out on a limb here but, I am assuming you are Chris posting. I applaud you efforts to refurbish the tank. It has sat to long neglected, and it would be nice to see the guys in the post all get together on some project like that. I do understand, and know the why's nothing has been done to keep it up over the years. I am a member of the post, and have been for years but I quit going a few years back because of all the bickering going on. However, it was mainly for personal reasons I stopped, and I heard much has changed. I do stop in once in a while when they have fund raisers and parking lot BBQ's just to catch up on the gossip and see what is going on. I just happened to hear and read on what you want to do. I don't remember the guy's name but he would be someone you should contact about helping on the refurbishing the tank. I am too broke down to be of any use except to watch, so thats no help. The guy I mentioned has experience working with museums and with the Confederate Air Force rebuilding planes and vehicles. The post should have his name. He is the guy who built that Liberty Ship that is at the post, and the model of a Vietnam Memorial he wanted to build in Rome. He might tell you to go pound salt, but like I said he has done that type work before and could be of some help. I wish you luck. It would be nice to see the old girl standing proud once again. Later Brother.
what r u stupid

Syracuse, NY

#25 Nov 10, 2013
why would it cost 15 to 20 thousand dolars for a paint job when the paint is FREE!even if you have to make parts...nwhere near that amount! you guys are a bunch of greedy morons that want to do a project and make money!
Guessing

Saranac Lake, NY

#27 Nov 10, 2013
what r u stupid wrote:
why would it cost 15 to 20 thousand dolars for a paint job when the paint is FREE!even if you have to make parts...nwhere near that amount! you guys are a bunch of greedy morons that want to do a project and make money!
To try and answer your post the answer is simple. No one now days wants to donate, work, or volunteer without something in it for them. That doesn't mean it is the people doing the work who is getting anything out of it. The majority of the people just are looking for the satisfaction of seeing a project done. Its not the people doing the work that is making the money here. It is the people who supply parts, paint, materials that want money for what they are supply. NO ONE in business today is willing to do anything unless that make money off of it. Grant you it only cost about 10,000 to build that tank in the 40's, but like anything now days the cost of repairing something like that is costly. If done right no doubt the whole project could be done for a lot less but then there is the organization maintaining it and not allowing it to get in that bad of shape again. The group wants to have it covered which is something that was not done in the past. That is more than likely where most of the donations will end up going. Not for nothing, but why don't you join the effort instead of complaining about it on here. Then that way you can keep personal track of where the money goes, and then you can come back on here and bitch at people who like yourself complain about who and where the money was spent for.
keep Guessing

Syracuse, NY

#28 Nov 11, 2013
Guessing wrote:
<quoted text>
To try and answer your post the answer is simple. No one now days wants to donate, work, or volunteer without something in it for them. That doesn't mean it is the people doing the work who is getting anything out of it. The majority of the people just are looking for the satisfaction of seeing a project done. Its not the people doing the work that is making the money here. It is the people who supply parts, paint, materials that want money for what they are supply. NO ONE in business today is willing to do anything unless that make money off of it. Grant you it only cost about 10,000 to build that tank in the 40's, but like anything now days the cost of repairing something like that is costly. If done right no doubt the whole project could be done for a lot less but then there is the organization maintaining it and not allowing it to get in that bad of shape again. The group wants to have it covered which is something that was not done in the past. That is more than likely where most of the donations will end up going. Not for nothing, but why don't you join the effort instead of complaining about it on here. Then that way you can keep personal track of where the money goes, and then you can come back on here and bitch at people who like yourself complain about who and where the money was spent for.
it took you along time to blame the legion! it shouldn't cost 25000 to paint a tank! stop trying to pertend that you are not going to be paid for this project!

“America: Pussified?”

Since: Nov 08

Stittville

#29 Nov 13, 2013
LoL wrote:
<quoted text>
Get serious Chris. Where did you come up with the figure of 20,000 to 50,000 to recondition the tank anyway? You not going to get it running, and then what invade South Rome.(it could use it) Hell it did not cost that much to build it for crying out loud. The kids in BOCES for a class project would strip it down and repaint it for pizzas. Do really think people are going to take an interest in re-doing it with figures like that flying around? Especially from the members of the post. You would be better off throwing a few dozen cases of beer some pizzas and wings in the parking lot and work on it there, and have the members get off their asses and do it for a hell of a lot less money to.
Actually, Yes i do believe people will take interest and my email inbox is living proof. Since the story was published and aired, I get daily emails from people all over the area interested in donating time, resources, and materials.

I Don't think we're going to get it running, however if you would re-read one of my above posts you would see that I accounted for the costs. Such as moving the thing. Do know of a cheap way to move 16 tons? No! OK shut up then. let me figure that out. Can You design and fabricate All of the missing components....Or do you even know that there are missing components on the M3? Oh probably not because instead of taking the time to learn about the tank and maybe help out, you would rather be a keyboard warrior, and sit there in your chair to ridicule and criticize me.

Simple fact is, I'm not even from Rome, I couldn't care less for city, I don't give a shit about the Legion. I don't care about the publicity, the small local celebrity status I've seemed to have gained Or any other faucet of Bullshit. What matters to me is the tank. It means a lot to me as a SOLDIER, A VETERAN, And a TANKER. The monument itself is all I care about. But i figured While i was on this journey It would be a great way to get anyone from the community interested in tanks a chance to actually work on one. See it up close, And maybe instill a sense of pride into the area.

So Sit back in your chair relax a little and let this Tanker show you how its done. We Shoot Move and communicate, DEATH BEFORE DISMOUNT!

CARRY ON.
Roman 20

Syracuse, NY

#30 Nov 13, 2013
Abramstank19k wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, Yes i do believe people will take interest and my email inbox is living proof. Since the story was published and aired, I get daily emails from people all over the area interested in donating time, resources, and materials.
I Don't think we're going to get it running, however if you would re-read one of my above posts you would see that I accounted for the costs. Such as moving the thing. Do know of a cheap way to move 16 tons? No! OK shut up then. let me figure that out. Can You design and fabricate All of the missing components....Or do you even know that there are missing components on the M3? Oh probably not because instead of taking the time to learn about the tank and maybe help out, you would rather be a keyboard warrior, and sit there in your chair to ridicule and criticize me.
Simple fact is, I'm not even from Rome, I couldn't care less for city, I don't give a shit about the Legion. I don't care about the publicity, the small local celebrity status I've seemed to have gained Or any other faucet of Bullshit. What matters to me is the tank. It means a lot to me as a SOLDIER, A VETERAN, And a TANKER. The monument itself is all I care about. But i figured While i was on this journey It would be a great way to get anyone from the community interested in tanks a chance to actually work on one. See it up close, And maybe instill a sense of pride into the area.
So Sit back in your chair relax a little and let this Tanker show you how its done. We Shoot Move and communicate, DEATH BEFORE DISMOUNT!
CARRY ON.
glad you don't care about rome! maybe you should pack your bag and get the hell out of rome! you sound like a real moron jarhead!maybe someone will come along & mount you!
Roman 20

Syracuse, NY

#31 Nov 13, 2013
Abramstank19k wrote:
<quoted text>
CARRY ON.
well moron! you ask how you move a 16 ton tank...i would use a lowboy flatbed trailer!~
Douche nozzle

Holyoke, MA

#32 Nov 13, 2013
Roman 20 wrote:
<quoted text>well moron! you ask how you move a 16 ton tank...i would use a lowboy flatbed trailer!~
Are you going to donate the use of one, and the equipment to pick it up and place it on that low boy, no. Oh ok. Think before you speak. If your not going to donate time, equipment, resources, or skills don't bother writing.
Roman 20

Syracuse, NY

#33 Nov 13, 2013
Douche nozzle wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you going to donate the use of one, and the equipment to pick it up and place it on that low boy, no. Oh ok. Think before you speak. If your not going to donate time, equipment, resources, or skills don't bother writing.
are YOU going to donate or work on it....of course NOT....don't bother writing!
Douche nozzle

Holyoke, MA

#34 Nov 13, 2013
Yes I am, I've already contacted Chris and volunteered my times and skills.
Steve Zodiac

Syracuse, NY

#35 Nov 13, 2013
Douche nozzle wrote:
Yes I am, I've already contacted Chris and volunteered my times and skills.
i bet you are in expert at being an azzhole!
Petty Swill

Oneida, NY

#36 Nov 13, 2013
Roman 20 wrote:
<quoted text>well moron! you ask how you move a 16 ton tank...i would use a lowboy flatbed trailer!~
This town is chuck full of negative little voices connected to negative little brains. With all the gusto of a slug on valium they do nothing BUT whine and squeak, piss and moan at any one with a pulse, ambition and pride. Do not let these na sayers dampen your drive or enthusiasm! For every one of these self absorbed crybabies are two or more decent individuals that ,at least recognize or see value in your project. I for one think it is a great, worthwhile idea. And before anybody whines about it, yes I have donated both time and resources to this project. GOOD LUCK!
Douche nozzle

Holyoke, MA

#37 Nov 13, 2013
Steve Zodiac wrote:
<quoted text>i bet you are in expert at being an azzhole!
That is one of my skills, yes. I also tend to think I'm rather swell at it.
Douche nozzle

Glenfield, NY

#38 Nov 13, 2013
Roman 20 wrote:
<quoted text>glad you don't care about rome! maybe you should pack your bag and get the hell out of rome! you sound like a real moron jarhead!maybe someone will come along & mount you!
You do know that jarhead is a term of endearment for a marine right, and Chris was in the Army....you shouldn't be calling others moron
Douche nozzle

Penn Yan, NY

#40 Nov 15, 2013
Petty Swill wrote:
<quoted text>This town is chuck full of negative little voices connected to negative little brains. With all the gusto of a slug on valium they do nothing BUT whine and squeak, piss and moan at any one with a pulse, ambition and pride. Do not let these na sayers dampen your drive or enthusiasm! For every one of these self absorbed crybabies are two or more decent individuals that ,at least recognize or see value in your project. I for one think it is a great, worthwhile idea. And before anybody whines about it, yes I have donated both time and resources to this project. GOOD LUCK!
THIS is AMERICA! People can say it is a STUPID idea & if you don;t like it...tooo bad!
Pat the Patriot

Watertown, NY

#41 Jan 20, 2014
Can't we just refurbish it and make the Rome legion proud?
WWI Vet

Watertown, NY

#42 Jan 25, 2014
Rode in it when I was a kid but it has not been operational in at least 3 years.
idea

Rome, NY

#43 Jan 26, 2014
Scrap metal and give it back to the people who deserve it...tax payers since tax payers PAID for and BUILT IT!
Shane O Mac

Utica, NY

#44 Jan 26, 2014
WWI Vet wrote:
Rode in it when I was a kid but it has not been operational in at least 3 years.
well old man...it hasn't moved in 40 years!stay sober for a day will ya!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rome Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Heather graham dave beach 2 hr pizzaza 4
We need a draft (Sep '16) 2 hr Karen-Rome NY 175
NYS pistol permit (Jan '10) 3 hr Facts 32
Devin Storms 3 hr Donni holmes 2
Fazio's way overpriced 4 hr wow 11
Santa's Canceling - Fill In 4 U - Meet GOD 2Day 5 hr Wow 3
Taberg Camden Rapper Lil Peep dead 5 hr crystal 2

Rome Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance