Next Last
Bubby

Rome, NY

#21 Feb 15, 2013
I liked that old place above St Johns Pharmacy. We got a good work out
adults

Utica, NY

#22 Feb 15, 2013
Is this only for kids and teens? Is it a class or just a freestyle gym workout? can Adults box?
knows

Cortland, NY

#23 Feb 15, 2013
adults wrote:
Is this only for kids and teens? Is it a class or just a freestyle gym workout? can Adults box?
Yes, it starts at 5pm for younger kids, then later, i think 7pm, its older teens and adults.
Central NY

Utica, NY

#24 Mar 22, 2013
They should just close it. None of the coaches know the first thing about what they are doing.
Citizen

East Granby, CT

#25 Mar 23, 2013
the answer wrote:
<quoted text>I believe that this program targets children/adolescents from low-income families who cannot or will not pay. We want these high-risk youth to have healthy outlets afterschool hours. It is a worthwhile investment for the entire community!!
Let them pick garbage for an outlet. I'm tired of financing welfare and their spawns amusement.
knows

Kirkville, NY

#26 Mar 23, 2013
Central NY wrote:
They should just close it. None of the coaches know the first thing about what they are doing.
I won a Golden Gloves championship back in 1993 with Mark, the guy who runs it now. Him and Jack Turner, God rest his soul. He is there for the kids, bottom line. Granted, that gym is not going to produce a world class boxing champion, but it gives some of these kids and adults alike, another outlet. It's great exercise, and it gives the people involved a certain satisfaction. It teaches drive and determination, not being able to rely on a team, but yourself. It builds character and discipline. It seems there are many people that would belly-ache over just about anything these days, ESPECIALLY if it's not benefiting them in any way. You compain about people in society that don't 'pull their weight', or that are lazy and have no work ethic. You bitch and moan about parents in town that neglectfully raise their children. Well, here's a program that targets and helps those very kids, and you want to shit on it because you 'think' you get nothing out of it, or because you don't understand it. To those people I say, "To bad, get over it". Nothing is perfect in this world, and there are too many things being taken away from us, right here in Rome. When an opportunity comes along to help our youth, and ultimately help our society, we need to recognize it, get under it and support it. Everyone can do their part to help, even if it is sitting on the sideling and shutting your mouth.
Citizen

East Granby, CT

#27 Mar 23, 2013
knows wrote:
<quoted text>
I won a Golden Gloves championship back in 1993 with Mark, the guy who runs it now. Him and Jack Turner, God rest his soul. He is there for the kids, bottom line. Granted, that gym is not going to produce a world class boxing champion, but it gives some of these kids and adults alike, another outlet. It's great exercise, and it gives the people involved a certain satisfaction. It teaches drive and determination, not being able to rely on a team, but yourself. It builds character and discipline. It seems there are many people that would belly-ache over just about anything these days, ESPECIALLY if it's not benefiting them in any way. You compain about people in society that don't 'pull their weight', or that are lazy and have no work ethic. You bitch and moan about parents in town that neglectfully raise their children. Well, here's a program that targets and helps those very kids, and you want to shit on it because you 'think' you get nothing out of it, or because you don't understand it. To those people I say, "To bad, get over it". Nothing is perfect in this world, and there are too many things being taken away from us, right here in Rome. When an opportunity comes along to help our youth, and ultimately help our society, we need to recognize it, get under it and support it. Everyone can do their part to help, even if it is sitting on the sideling and shutting your mouth.
I don't have a problem with the program at all just don't ask me to pay for someone else to use it if these poor kids can't afford it ask their deadbeat parents to quit getting tattoos and buying cigarettes or booze and drugs so they can pay for their own kids.
answer

Rome, NY

#28 Mar 25, 2013
Citizen wrote:
<quoted text>I don't have a problem with the program at all just don't ask me to pay for someone else to use it if these poor kids can't afford it ask their deadbeat parents to quit getting tattoos and buying cigarettes or booze and drugs so they can pay for their own kids.
Unfortunately, you don't get it. It is not realistic to think these parents can or will 'step up'. If we invest in these kids, there is a good chance,(backed by research), that they may become tax-paying citizens. I am sure you know how much prisons and welfare cost. Let's give these kids every opportunity to change the course of their lives. The cycle of poverty runs deep in Rome and we have to try our best to get the next generation out of it. It truly will improve the quality of life for everyone here!! Try to see it that way. They are just as much a member of this community as you or I are. We really want all Romans to have a better life.
Citizen

Roxbury, CT

#29 Mar 25, 2013
answer wrote:
<quoted text>
Unfortunately, you don't get it. It is not realistic to think these parents can or will 'step up'. If we invest in these kids, there is a good chance,(backed by research), that they may become tax-paying citizens. I am sure you know how much prisons and welfare cost. Let's give these kids every opportunity to change the course of their lives. The cycle of poverty runs deep in Rome and we have to try our best to get the next generation out of it. It truly will improve the quality of life for everyone here!! Try to see it that way. They are just as much a member of this community as you or I are. We really want all Romans to have a better life.
No you don't get it your so called research is BS. Law abiding taxpayers have had their hard earned money stolen for social causes since the sixties and the welfare state keeps growing. If you think this is such a wonderful cause, YOU can give all you want to it. Take you bleeding heart liberalism and cry a river for these poor kids all you want I could care less what happens to these dead beat families and their fourth generation welfare leaching kids.
speed bag

Utica, NY

#31 Mar 27, 2013
If it gives kids something to do after school, that's a good thing. A previous post stated something about the coaches not knowing what they were doing. In my opinion, as long as they are fostering a safe environment, helping a kid is right and proper. I think more of the ex-boxers that were assisted in someway by the former program should step-up and volunteer to assist the current program.
jump rope

Chittenango, NY

#32 Jul 21, 2013
I'm not sure that it is open any longer. I went a few times and the coaches didn't get along and constantly talked badly about each other behind their backs.
ghost town

Rome, NY

#33 Jul 22, 2013
theres nothing left in rome sadly
Update

New York, NY

#34 Aug 21, 2013
Is there any word on A new spot or who to contact about this program?
jump rope

Chittenango, NY

#35 Nov 4, 2013
I believe the YMCA is still running the program.
lmao

Brooklyn, NY

#36 Nov 9, 2013
Citizen wrote:
<quoted text>I don't have a problem with the program at all just don't ask me to pay for someone else to use it if these poor kids can't afford it ask their deadbeat parents to quit getting tattoos and buying cigarettes or booze and drugs so they can pay for their own kids.
See, that's a point someone earlier was talking about....you don't have a f'ing clue. YOU DONT HAVE TO PAY A PENNY! EACH PARTICIPANT IS REQUIRED TO PAY THE $100 FEE FOR THEIR CHILD. Get over yourself already.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rome Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Rome Cop Rape Charge 34 min truth 104
Biggest badasses in Rome 1 hr the truth 107
stephanie perry (Mar '13) 1 hr TRUE INSIDE FRIEND 12
rfa could not beat jerry's kids 1 hr catholic 7
Kelly Hoke - RFA Football trainer (Jul '12) 1 hr coaches 113
Who are the deaf guys at the mill? 1 hr miracle ear 15
Don't teachers have a dress code? 1 hr ARITHMETIC 27
RFA football is a joke.. 7 hr slow 41
•••
•••