walmart in rome today
Business Owner

Durhamville, NY

#41 May 1, 2011
Dave,
as I said earlier, watch the posts that follow. You can see the education level here. I do believe some do need welfare but the vast majority are milking the system. How about the woman who was let go at my business because she couldn't cut it. Couldn't put in one honest days work a week so I let her go. Well guess what, I got the paperwork, she's on welfare now. Is that my fault or hers for not being able to perform? Its not rocket science but if you drop out of 5th grade and can't perform the simple tasks needed to maintain a minimum wage job, I should have to pay for you to be on welfare?

And to the guy who was talking about some of us not paying taxes, Where do you guys get off thinking that some don't pay taxes? I garuntee I pay more taxes than you and likely your entire family.

Unemployment is no better. One guy didn't get a raise he wanted so he quit. Guess what, he collected unemployment because the dead beats that sit in the office wouldn't even bother to read my report that HE QUIT. Why should someone get employment if they quit?

The ones that defend the way this town is now are the root of the probem. They grew up in it and don't even know how much better it is in other places. Walk outside with pajama's on, give me a brake. They don't have an once of self respect.

Warm up the car and drive South Dave, as fast as you can!
Marcinko

Brooklyn, NY

#42 May 1, 2011
flip off wrote:
<quoted text>Nobody said it was expensive here. 400k homes are affordable for someone with a college education and a decent job. People like living in those good old "dirt cheap houses" in rome because they are uneducated low class idiots and belong in rome.
Ur not listening, I'm not talking about just big nice houses that r expensive. I'm talking about houses that r small but because of the area they r that high. In the city I grew up in a new doublewide trailer would run u $85k base price. I had a realitor friend of mine looking for houses for me to buy back home and we walked into a house that was listed as "need some work" now u hear that and u think ok it needs a little work right? When we walked in we could see the second floor through a big gaping 6 ft wide while in the ceiling where it had collapsed and the place looked like a riot had taken place inside and when I asked jokingly what the price was he laughed as well and said $75k. Would u honistly pay $400k for a fixerupper at that price? And ur last comment is exactly why my wife and I r leaving Rome after collage.
Marcinko

Brooklyn, NY

#43 May 1, 2011
dave wrote:
condos are the way to go they are safe clean and affordable .people are selling condos near the ocean reasonable im looking online now .
Not in my home town!$2000 a month for water front condos! And that the older ones not the 3 new ones that were finished 2 years ago.
Yankee

Brooklyn, NY

#44 May 1, 2011
dave wrote:
i didnt mean to offend anyone but this city is changing to fast. i grew up here and it seems like a bad element of people are settling in since the base left. the prisons came social services expanded people like us retired and left . the center of the city is looking crudy again court st embargo thomas bloomfeild east rome need i say more . what kind of people stay in a city where job loses are more than gains ?
You're just NOW figuring this out?
Yankee

Brooklyn, NY

#45 May 1, 2011
Weggies wrote:
Rome needs a Wegmans and it should be on the north side. Upscale store, with competitive pricing. It will never happen though because the number of employed people seems to be going down as businesses leave the area and we are left with everyone on some social program. Get rid of the prisons and the state benefits and you will see the area pick up.
That's so funny! Where I come from, Weggies is the cheaper store in the area.
Yankee

Brooklyn, NY

#46 May 1, 2011
Business Owner wrote:
Dave,
as I said earlier, watch the posts that follow. You can see the education level here. I do believe some do need welfare but the vast majority are milking the system. How about the woman who was let go at my business because she couldn't cut it. Couldn't put in one honest days work a week so I let her go. Well guess what, I got the paperwork, she's on welfare now. Is that my fault or hers for not being able to perform? Its not rocket science but if you drop out of 5th grade and can't perform the simple tasks needed to maintain a minimum wage job, I should have to pay for you to be on welfare?
And to the guy who was talking about some of us not paying taxes, Where do you guys get off thinking that some don't pay taxes? I garuntee I pay more taxes than you and likely your entire family.
Unemployment is no better. One guy didn't get a raise he wanted so he quit. Guess what, he collected unemployment because the dead beats that sit in the office wouldn't even bother to read my report that HE QUIT. Why should someone get employment if they quit?
The ones that defend the way this town is now are the root of the probem. They grew up in it and don't even know how much better it is in other places. Walk outside with pajama's on, give me a brake. They don't have an once of self respect.
Warm up the car and drive South Dave, as fast as you can!
To read your post ragging on others' "education level" is laughable. You might consider yourself a Business Owner, but you obviously are lacking in formal education, as is evident by your grammar and spelling. And so far as "class" is concerned, your boasting about all the taxes you pay compared to others proves that you have no class.
Jeannette

West Leyden, NY

#47 May 1, 2011
Business Owner wrote:
Dave,
Listening to some of the people on this site and you can clearly see the problem. You will NOT find trailor trash everywhere you go. Thankfully, I do not live anywhere near Rome so I know and see the difference. Those posts are likely from some of the many people that live here and think its OK and normal to never work, walk around in sleep wear and live off the system.
Its normal for guys to always want to chase tail but when I was a kid you had to work for the girl. Here the girls are chasing the guys! They all walk around with their asses hanging out of their shorts, have lost their virginity at 13 and are prenant by 16. That's the norm around here. That is the root of the problem, They are having kids so young and of course a yound boy wants nothing to do with a baby so she's left to raise it herself.
I recently opened a business here and had I known what the people where like I would not have wasted my money. My business is doing fine and not going anywhere but its depressing to see the type of people and lack of values most have here. The kids can do what they want because the parents do nothing but cover up, instead of correcting problems their kids get into.
My advise is GET OUT KNOW, before property values are so low and taxes so high that you couldn't give your home away.
PS: watch the posts that follow this and you will see what I mean. The average education level here couldn't be higher than 4th - 5th grade.
Good Luck.
One word. Prisons. Plus I need to ask, Business owner...What business are you in because you need grammar lessons.
Business Owner

Durhamville, NY

#48 May 1, 2011
Does the business I'm in really matter? Are you that concerned about how you form a sentence or spell on Topix when you write? Your city is falling apart around you and the yound people here have no moral compass and you are worried about my grammar?

This city is full of drug addicts, prostitutes, teenage parents and young people that have no understanding of right or wrong or concern for others. The most BASIC of values are missing and judging by what I see, it will not get better anytime soon.

I'll take a pass on the grammar lessons but how about we look at the bigger picture here?
YoungMother

Holyoke, MA

#49 May 1, 2011
I am a young mother.. Who receives HUD and also receive Food Stamps.. But, I also work to support my child.. I was raised with morals. I WANT and NEED to work. I have a child to raise.. I wasn't raised to live off the system.. I do not want others to support my child.. I am one of the ones who deserves the help. I'm raising her by myself and Im only 23... When I grocery shop, Yes, at WalMart, i sometimes wear my sweatpants, but thats only because its my day off after working 35 hrs a week. I also do NOT buy junk food.. I buy the necessities, and the food that you can make a meal out of.. I will admit, I buy soda, but also buy juice, water, milk, and what not.. and on occasion ill buy a few things of junk food, but its not much.. I dont want anyone except me to support my child. i work very hard and make sure she has everything before I spend any sort of money on me... The only thing ppl judge me on is living in subsidized housing... So what??? Some ppl need and deserve the help...While others just milk the system... I have a very good head on my shoulders and a very good mother and have been told so by so many people..I graduated, and had my child at 21... Ever since she was 6 months old i have worked to give her everything she deserves.. And even before I was working, I still was not gettin any cash assistance from the county... One thing I can promise, is she will not be growing up in Rome, and will also know to work to support herself...
Business Owner

Durhamville, NY

#50 May 1, 2011
Young Mother, Good for you, you sound like part of the solution not part of the problem. No one is judging you but the many that do milk the system and more importantly, the teens that don't care beyond the moment and have no respect for anyone or themselves.

If you are involved in ever aspect of your childs upbringing, its a good bet he or she will grow up the right way.
YoungMother

Holyoke, MA

#51 May 1, 2011
Business Owner wrote:
Young Mother, Good for you, you sound like part of the solution not part of the problem. No one is judging you but the many that do milk the system and more importantly, the teens that don't care beyond the moment and have no respect for anyone or themselves.
If you are involved in ever aspect of your childs upbringing, its a good bet he or she will grow up the right way.
I am both Mommy and Daddy to her.. Shes my first child, and probably my last.. I am the ones whos been there when shes sick,or doctors appts.. and at tax time i only got 1000 back, i bought her SUMMER clothes, and sneakers and i bought my self a pair of sneakers and the rest went on bills, things she needed, and decor for my apt.. Shes my pride and joy.. Started walking at 7 months and has been advanced at everything she does, she even says THANK YOU and picks up after herself ( for the most part) shes a very bright intelligent little girl and she just turned ONE!!! And im proud to say shes the smart little girl she is ALL BECAUSE OF ME!! Thank you!!
Lady Ga Ga

Brooklyn, NY

#52 May 1, 2011
Dave, I'm glad Wal-Mart was a turning point for you. I have to say I sadly agree with you. I graduate from college soon and question whether or not I should make a life for myself here..
geez

Brooklyn, NY

#53 May 1, 2011
Big Nose Kate wrote:
<quoted text>Can you say negro crack head welfare medicaide freaks????
can u say big nose inbetween my ballz
Jeannette

West Leyden, NY

#54 May 1, 2011
Business Owner wrote:
Does the business I'm in really matter? Are you that concerned about how you form a sentence or spell on Topix when you write? Your city is falling apart around you and the yound people here have no moral compass and you are worried about my grammar?
This city is full of drug addicts, prostitutes, teenage parents and young people that have no understanding of right or wrong or concern for others. The most BASIC of values are missing and judging by what I see, it will not get better anytime soon.
I'll take a pass on the grammar lessons but how about we look at the bigger picture here?
Well you talk about low-lifes in the area but what type of education do you have?

Since: Apr 11

New York, NY

#55 May 1, 2011
This topix thread stemmed from a man calling himself Dave complaining about walmart shoppers dressing inappropriately for the nice day he was having and blaming them on the reason Rome looks as run down as it does. Nooooo not everyone milks the system, ALOT do though! Another news flash, they do it ALL OVER THE COUNTRY! Not just in Oneida county NY. The man calling himself the "business owner" is full of it and sounds more ridiculous than the original poster. If more people spoke out in public and DID SOMETHING instead of whining anonymously in their own homes where it makes no difference, then you'd see the change you all desperately seek.

Since: Apr 11

Chicago, IL

#56 May 1, 2011
YoungMother wrote:
I am a young mother.. Who receives HUD and also receive Food Stamps.. But, I also work to support my child.. I was raised with morals. I WANT and NEED to work. I have a child to raise.. I wasn't raised to live off the system.. I do not want others to support my child.. I am one of the ones who deserves the help. I'm raising her by myself and Im only 23... When I grocery shop, Yes, at WalMart, i sometimes wear my sweatpants, but thats only because its my day off after working 35 hrs a week. I also do NOT buy junk food.. I buy the necessities, and the food that you can make a meal out of.. I will admit, I buy soda, but also buy juice, water, milk, and what not.. and on occasion ill buy a few things of junk food, but its not much.. I dont want anyone except me to support my child. i work very hard and make sure she has everything before I spend any sort of money on me... The only thing ppl judge me on is living in subsidized housing... So what??? Some ppl need and deserve the help...While others just milk the system... I have a very good head on my shoulders and a very good mother and have been told so by so many people..I graduated, and had my child at 21... Ever since she was 6 months old i have worked to give her everything she deserves.. And even before I was working, I still was not gettin any cash assistance from the county... One thing I can promise, is she will not be growing up in Rome, and will also know to work to support herself...
And my question to you would be....why do you have either internet or a mobile phone with Internet if your receiving services from the county? I'm assuming that you are joining us via a friends/family members ISP because since you stated that you receive HUD AND foodstamps, you can not afford the luxury of Internet on your own presently.
wondering

Brooklyn, NY

#57 May 2, 2011
YoungMother wrote:
I am a young mother.. Who receives HUD and also receive Food Stamps.. But, I also work to support my child.. I was raised with morals. I WANT and NEED to work. I have a child to raise.. I wasn't raised to live off the system.. I do not want others to support my child.. I am one of the ones who deserves the help. I'm raising her by myself and Im only 23... When I grocery shop, Yes, at WalMart, i sometimes wear my sweatpants, but thats only because its my day off after working 35 hrs a week. I also do NOT buy junk food.. I buy the necessities, and the food that you can make a meal out of.. I will admit, I buy soda, but also buy juice, water, milk, and what not.. and on occasion ill buy a few things of junk food, but its not much.. I dont want anyone except me to support my child. i work very hard and make sure she has everything before I spend any sort of money on me... The only thing ppl judge me on is living in subsidized housing... So what??? Some ppl need and deserve the help...While others just milk the system... I have a very good head on my shoulders and a very good mother and have been told so by so many people..I graduated, and had my child at 21... Ever since she was 6 months old i have worked to give her everything she deserves.. And even before I was working, I still was not gettin any cash assistance from the county... One thing I can promise, is she will not be growing up in Rome, and will also know to work to support herself...
Are you the f uckin idiot from camden?
Business Owner

Durhamville, NY

#58 May 2, 2011
ItsBS
This is exactly what people are master at here, deflecting. You've just attacked several people who have posted their personal beliefs about some of the problems here in Rome. You can stick you head in the sand and blame everyone else and make believe there's no problem but you my friend just proved my point!

Perhaps you feel that YoungMother shouldn't be allowed to have a TV either, or perhaps she should store her food underground and not have a fridge. I think having a computer is as common as having a TV now a days. Perhap her child will grow up using the computer to educate herself and become a positive addition to Rome, unlike you!

As far as my education goes, I'm a college grad, and a very sucessful business owner. What do you do besides bash everyone on this site with an opinion? You must be on the system or have kids on the system to be defending it so much and be so agaist anyone who's not happy with the ways things are heading in this town.

How about you open your mind a little and listen to what other poeple think instead of feeling you have all the answers.
YoungMother

United States

#59 May 2, 2011
Nope, not from camden, sorry, and does it matter how I am speaking to you???? No, thats not the point.. But once again all you ppl are Judgemental... and quick to jump the gun... Michael Jackson once said... " If you wanna make the world a BETTER place, take a look at YOURSELF and make a change!!!!" He spoke very wise words...

While you people may bash me and judge me for the assistance I get, atleast I am not milking the system.. And I DO have a cell phone, WITH internet, which I can hook up to my COMPUTER to get internet... I've had the computer BEFORE I was pregnant... ANd you call cable and internet and phone a LUXURY???? A luxury now a days is a CAR and being able to afford the gas... In which I own a car, and with all the driving I do, and the little i get paid, i still AFFORD gas in my car.. MY money is MY MONEY.. May not be a lot, but its still my money... I pay my NIMO, I pay my rent, I pay my car insurance and I pay my cell phone bill... I pay for everything my daughter has, needs or wants.. She comes first.. before you judge me all because I get this type of assistance, why dont you look around you and open your eyes as to the ones who live off welfare.. And can afford cable, and internet and a cell phone.. You'll be happy to know, I do not have cable nor internet.. But what I do have, in which you lack, is self respect, knowledge, and morals.. Im done explaining my self to you.. My life is just that....MINE... DON'T BE SO QUICK TO JUDGE OTHERS... SOME PEOPLE DESERVE THE HELP AND OTHERS JUST WANT TO BE LAZY AND RECEIVE FREE HAND OUTS..
Jeannette

Calgary, Canada

#60 May 2, 2011
Business Owner wrote:
ItsBS
This is exactly what people are master at here, deflecting. You've just attacked several people who have posted their personal beliefs about some of the problems here in Rome. You can stick you head in the sand and blame everyone else and make believe there's no problem but you my friend just proved my point!
Perhaps you feel that YoungMother shouldn't be allowed to have a TV either, or perhaps she should store her food underground and not have a fridge. I think having a computer is as common as having a TV now a days. Perhap her child will grow up using the computer to educate herself and become a positive addition to Rome, unlike you!
As far as my education goes, I'm a college grad, and a very sucessful business owner. What do you do besides bash everyone on this site with an opinion? You must be on the system or have kids on the system to be defending it so much and be so agaist anyone who's not happy with the ways things are heading in this town.
How about you open your mind a little and listen to what other poeple think instead of feeling you have all the answers.
Well for your sake if you have to send letters to your customers, I hope you either A)Have an assistant write them out or B)Have spell check. Because you have spelling issues, college grad.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rome Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
End of Month ticket quota 3 min Johnny 5
Amanda fox hill Courtney dantzler 1 hr Ayooooo 23
hot girls at rome access fcu 1 hr poo 1
Trumps Art of the Deal 1 hr yes 4
Family Court Judge Julia Brouillette (Apr '16) 2 hr Renee 9
LACEY breaks leg of his little baby. What a cr... 2 hr Yipeee 10
Greystone Animal (Jan '12) 9 hr perceryplunkett 19
Girls who get around Rome NY 18 hr Paul 31

Rome Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Rome Mortgages