Next Last
Vote

New Hartford, NY

#1 Jun 29, 2014
Who and how many didn't make it.

Since: Jan 08

Rome

#2 Jun 29, 2014
Rome's graduation rate is ~76%. That means about 6% of an entering freshman class drops out of school each year of their 4-years of high school. The life-long negative impact of that action is devastating.
roman moronie

Rome, NY

#3 Jun 29, 2014
I think that the kids that did not graduate should still be able to participate in the ceremony. Just give them a empty diploma holder.
You can show up drunk to the prom and still graduate.

Rome

#4 Jun 29, 2014
Yes, and graduate with honors, successfully earn a university degree and begin careers as contributing citizens. What's your excuse, troll?
Habanero Harv

Rome, NY

#5 Jun 29, 2014
who cares?

Rome

#6 Jun 29, 2014
Harv, evidently Vote cares about running people down. If there's one thing I dislike more than trolls, it's anonymous trolls.
Well

Rome, NY

#7 Jun 29, 2014
Troll? So somebody who thinks that kids who signed a contract not to drink at prom, and made a mockery and insult to the kids who abided by that contract, should be held 2 that promise and face thr consequences is a troll? Really Frank? Please, explain to me how that is fair. I am dying to hear it.
Jalapeno Jose

Penn Yan, NY

#8 Jun 29, 2014
Well wrote:
Troll? So somebody who thinks that kids who signed a contract not to drink at prom, and made a mockery and insult to the kids who abided by that contract, should be held 2 that promise and face thr consequences is a troll? Really Frank? Please, explain to me how that is fair. I am dying to hear it.
Everybody makes mistakes. The way this matter was handled by the school only adds another mistake to the fiasco. It is almost as if the behavior was being secretly condoned, wink, wink.

At a minimum the school should have required each of the kids (cut that) YOUNG ADULTS that had tested positive for alcohol or were proven to have assisted in obtaining the alcohol or otherwise being involved in this behavior to apologize to their fellow classmates and the community for what they did. The impact of each standing in front of the graduation assemblage in cap and gown and apologizing for their behavior might have better served the community and the student by showing there is a price to be paid for not following the rules. This would also be a deterrent to future graduates who might have thought the behavior was "cool". Don't want to embarrass yourself? Then allow the student to graduate without the pomp and circumstances of the formal cap and gown ceremony. Either way it sends a message that there are consequences for actions. At the senior level of High School it is time a person should understand that simple fact of life.

Too harsh? DWI, alcohol poisoning, maiming or fatal accidents - That is too harsh.

Rome

#9 Jun 29, 2014
Did the contract include a ban from graduation?
huntz hall

Syracuse, NY

#10 Jun 29, 2014
frankcor wrote:
Did the contract include a ban from graduation?
It should. Maybe next year's prom rules will stipulate that being drunk by "ANY" senior will result in missing their graduation exercises. What are you saying, frankcor? That kids will be kids and it's a once-in-a-lifetime event (high school graduation) and the rules are meant to be broken because your parents are well-connected politically & financially? It was great to read in the paper the few students who spoke up at the board mtg. chastizing the rule breakers, rightly implying there are 2 sets of rules for different students. That took balz and sent a message that that's how our district runs.

Rome

#11 Jun 29, 2014
What I am saying is that if the contract contained no stipulation for being banned from graduation for breaking the rules, it is not reasonable to expect them to be banned. The students DID receive sanctions as stipulated by the contract.

Punish them according to the contract, not according to cries from the mob to string them up.
What a joke

Ardsley, NY

#12 Jun 29, 2014
Are you serious??? Let them still graduate and give them an empty diploma! If you didn't pass... You don't graduate and you don't participate in the ceremony. Its earned! Same thing as what the doctor in sports now a days,give every participant a trophy! Complete b.s. The only athletes that deserve a trophy are the ones who go above and beyond! That's the problem with society, everything is handed to these kids because there is a fear of hurting someone's feelings! Toughen up kids and parents and learn how to accept consequences for your actions! You fail = no graduation ceremony! Suck it up and make more of an effort!
What a joke

Ardsley, NY

#13 Jun 29, 2014
If you choose to break a contract that you and your parents signed, you don't graduate! The junior class that are becoming seniors are already talking and planning to do the same thing at their senior prom because there are no consequences! Might as well right lol
nowayjose

Rome, NY

#14 Jun 29, 2014
Jalapeno Jose wrote:
<quoted text>
Everybody makes mistakes. The way this matter was handled by the school only adds another mistake to the fiasco. It is almost as if the behavior was being secretly condoned, wink, wink.
At a minimum the school should have required each of the kids (cut that) YOUNG ADULTS that had tested positive for alcohol or were proven to have assisted in obtaining the alcohol or otherwise being involved in this behavior to apologize to their fellow classmates and the community for what they did. The impact of each standing in front of the graduation assemblage in cap and gown and apologizing for their behavior might have better served the community and the student by showing there is a price to be paid for not following the rules. This would also be a deterrent to future graduates who might have thought the behavior was "cool". Don't want to embarrass yourself? Then allow the student to graduate without the pomp and circumstances of the formal cap and gown ceremony. Either way it sends a message that there are consequences for actions. At the senior level of High School it is time a person should understand that simple fact of life.
Too harsh? DWI, alcohol poisoning, maiming or fatal accidents - That is too harsh.
The last thing I want to hear at my kids graduation is an apology by some jerk who got drunk. My kid didn't do it, so why should we have to listen to the rule breakers drivel? Not the time or place.

Spare me the BS and your crying.

The contract had no stipulation for punishment. I know for a fact.

The kids who broke the rules were punished.

Its over.
Vote

Long Eddy, NY

#15 Jun 29, 2014
Well Francor...you are a know it all. you are a topix TROLL ! We cant stand people like YOU!
Habanero Harv

Rome, NY

#16 Jun 29, 2014
did they graduate yet?

Rome

#17 Jun 29, 2014
Vote wrote:
Well Francor...you are a know it all. you are a topix TROLL ! We cant stand people like YOU!
Excellent, I must be doing something right
justbe cause

Redfield, NY

#18 Jun 30, 2014
if the contract did not stipulate missing commencement, then they should not be banned. However, if these students showed up at an event under the influence, contract or not, the police should have been notified. Public intoxication and underage drinking are both illegal, last I knew There needs to be consequences for behaviors. Had there been consequences in place throughout their school years, this would not continually happen. Superintendent and parents have missed an important teaching experience with these kids. God help them in the future!

Rome

#19 Jun 30, 2014
justbe cause, I believe breathalyzer tests were administered to the students by law enforcement officers. It's up to them whether or not to press charges.
cleaner

Ardsley, NY

#20 Jun 30, 2014
Did the teacher that was banging the sr boy .did she Go to the Graduation she should be so proud of her self .smass teacher.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rome Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Chris 5 min Coworker 1
John Ciotti??? 1 hr True story 20
Tenney 1 hr Le Obvious 2
Bass fishing 2 hr fly 14 3
Girls who lie about their age should get crimin... 3 hr okimar 12
Transgender bathrooms at RFA 3 hr Really 9
News Homeless man gets makeover from big-hearted cops 4 hr fly 14 43

Rome Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance