AlexofRome

Brooklyn, NY

#1 Aug 8, 2013
I just ordered some sushi take-out from this restaurant as I had heard it was good, and the prices were reasonable.

When the bill came to $14.50, I was a little shocked, but figured it must be a big portion.

When I got home and opened it up, I couldn't believe how little food there was. In fact, it was as if they cut the portion exactly in HALF of what you would get at a grocery store. And then still DOUBLED the price !

It was a snack ! It should've cost $6.50 !!!

Fortunately, I don't eat big meals at dinner, but I was horrified at the costs of this mini-meal !

Usually, I write letters to complain on things like this, but I'm going into their office tomorrow to let them know my dissatisfaction.

I mean, it's sushi ! Raw fish on a bed of rice. How hard is that ? They can't claim that's it high quality. Anybody can throw this together.

This is the problem with Rome restaurants. Overcharge, underservice, and cut portions and quality.

This is not how you run a successful business.
Just Looking

Utica, NY

#2 Aug 8, 2013
AlexofRome wrote:
I just ordered some sushi take-out from this restaurant as I had heard it was good, and the prices were reasonable.
When the bill came to $14.50, I was a little shocked, but figured it must be a big portion.
When I got home and opened it up, I couldn't believe how little food there was. In fact, it was as if they cut the portion exactly in HALF of what you would get at a grocery store. And then still DOUBLED the price !
Fortunately, I don't eat big meals at dinner, but I was horrified at the costs of this mini-meal !
Usually, I write letters to complain on things like this, but I'm going into their office tomorrow to let them know my dissatisfaction.
I mean, it's sushi ! Raw fish on a bed of rice. How hard is that ? They can't claim that's it high quality. Anybody can throw this together.
This is the problem with Rome restaurants. Overcharge, underservice, and cut portions and quality.
Go to the Franklin Hotel; large portions at good prices. If you leave hungry something is wrong.

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#3 Aug 8, 2013
Perhaps it was a very high quality meal?

Leave it to The Locals to bitch, no matter what.

Next time, just order two McFishies with extra fries.
AlexofRome

Brooklyn, NY

#4 Aug 8, 2013
"RegularCrewChief" - I'm not sure what you mean by "locals to b----", but I am a local who has also lived in Oklahoma, Texas, and Florida.

And since I've lived in those places, I have a lot of experience with many restaurants and how they operate, the quality of their food, and their prices.

Sushi is already notable for being more expensive than other foods in restaurants, so I expected to pay a little more. I know that in Japan, eating out is very expensive, especially sushi houses.(My sister-in-law is from Okinawa).

However, you cannot price the same in the U.S. as you do in Tokyo. The cultures are different. Foreign food restaurants often have to "Americanize" their food types, portion sizes, and prices to get the customer base that all restaurants desire.

If I had purchased this dinner from a grocery store like the Hannaford in New Hartford, it probably would've been priced at $5.95. Being that Mitsuba is a restaurant, I expected to pay more than a grocery store for the same product. But I didn't expect to be overcharged so much.

The price of this order should've been between $7.50 and $8.50, but no more than $9.00. This is based on the understanding that Mitsuba is a restaurant, not a grocery store, and the product was prepared upon request.

Considering that a drive to Hannaford would've cost me time and money, I can agree to paying a higher price for the convenience, but within reason.

The bottom line is the charge of $14.50 was excessive for the provided product. I believe most Romans, including those that have lived elsewhere at times, would agree.

A successful business is one that meets the needs of its customers. And sometimes that means a business must change their products or services to adjust to their customers desires, not the business owner's ideals.
Ellipses

Rome, NY

#5 Aug 8, 2013
I guess it all depends. Asian food is famous for large portions of rice and little meat. I've never eaten there so I can't comment. People still go to 5 guys and its by far the most expensive place I've eaten (fast food wise), and I think there fries taste like the brown chips no one wants to eat in the ruffles bag. you've learned your lesson, chalk it up to a loss. better luck next time.
sushi lover

New York, NY

#6 Aug 9, 2013
RegularCrewChief wrote:
Perhaps it was a very high quality meal?
Leave it to The Locals to bitch, no matter what.
Next time, just order two McFishies with extra fries.
I cannot leave this unsaid... I am very familiar with quality sushi, quality Japanese food in-general. I did recently dine at Mitsuba in Rome on Black River Blvd. To say I was shocked and disappointed is a gross understatement! The rice was terrible, the tuna roll must have been made the day before, the wasabi was *crusty*... I can go on, but you should get the idea. Now am I unfamiliar with Asian and in particular Japanese cuisine? I have eaten in some of the finest Japanese restaurants in the U.S.(notably, Osaka in Las Vegas, which is according to a Japanese culinary publication, the only one of the world's top 50 Japanese restaurants located outside Japan) and Mitsuba in Rome, NY is an insult!
IBrake4Donuts

West Springfield, MA

#7 Aug 9, 2013
Quality sushi is a myth this far inland. All frozen and shipped here. This is Podunk, got to lower your standards and you'll be a lot happier.
Piggy Piggy

Ridgefield, CT

#8 Aug 10, 2013
AlexofRome wrote:
The ignorance here would be surprising if this were any place other than Rome, NY. You should probably just go down to the franklin and order a trough pan of garlic bread or salt potatoes to fill your fat ass up. You, like most in this little dump town, enjoy quantity over quality. You wouldn't know good sushi or good food if it fell out of the sky and into that big cavity filled hole you call your mouth. I've had Mitsuba, it's ok compared to any sushi place in the US, but for the area you should be thankful because it's the best you're going to get. Not like you'd know the difference anyway, Little Ceasar's $5 Hot n' Ready is fine dining for a someone of your sophistication level.
observer

Rome, NY

#9 Aug 10, 2013
franklins sucks I found hair in my food!
AlexofRome

Brooklyn, NY

#10 Aug 16, 2013
Poor Piggy Piggy. He lives in a small town in Connecticut, and he's criticizing me. Why are there so many trolls on here? Former Romans that couldn't make it in this town because only the hard working, dependable workers stayed when all the lazy butts wanting more opportunities left. Now, they regret it because they've moved to dumpy areas with low pay and high expenses, and Rome won't give them their good paying jobs back.

Well, Piggy Piggy, I've traveled all over the U.S. to top cities and have eaten at a bunch of sushi places, so I know what I'm talking about. But I don't expect someone so full of hate and regret to listen to reason, so I'm not offering any.
really

Watervliet, NY

#11 Nov 18, 2013
Ok... who was the fugly wht broad tryin to dance sat nite at mitsuba lmao?? She was all trying to twerk and do shit. Yo on sum real shyt, u guys puttin a bad name havin ppl like her in there. Turnin a classy spot to a trashy spot. I'm on there every weekend. Music is hot drinks r cheap but ur twerk gurs gots to go my dude!!! Some new girlswere in there this weekend. Hope they come back cuz they were sexy as all hell... just sayin my dude
Roman

Rome, NY

#12 Nov 18, 2013
It's pretty simple. If you can't afford what they offer, don't go there.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rome Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Bill's Roofing 13 min Roman 1
Farm animal s in people's yards.. 49 min Bull 5
Buzz 1 hr barge canal 5
Bedbugs in Rome 2 hr why me 7
Rome needs Real places to work with Real paychecks 4 hr Neighbor 5
in love 5 hr mmee 14
Rfa football 7 hr Fan 16
Ron Townsend vs Frank Tallarino (Apr '13) Sat Truth 21
More from around the web

Personal Finance