Calvin dominoes lyndale Dr
Tony taylors
Lewis Stone

Rome, NY

#24 Jan 30, 2014
pepps wrote:
In the alley off Turin st
Went to ft stanwix went there often shoelace licorce
Bingo you got it,they had the little colored dots of candy that where on paper.
Outta Control

Palm Springs, CA

#25 Jan 30, 2014
Oh yeah !! LaPlants. They sold us the little black licorice that was rolled to look like a tiny 45 vinyl record with a red candy in the middle, and what in the world were we doing to our teeth eating those Sugar Daddy carmel suckers! When you kept it on one side of your mouth for too long, it nearly took your teeth out to move it ! Was a smart purchase though, lasted for hours and hours. Remember when the Pie Stand was across from Turin Rd School ( now John Joy)they made the best hot ham bbq. Started walking there on my own when I was about 8 yrs just to get one.
Keep the good memories coming....
huntz hall

Clinton, NY

#26 Jan 31, 2014
The store across from RFA on Turin St. (right in front of where W. Linden St. comes into Turin) was run by Mrs. Crook. She used to sell cigarettes to kids under age. I used to buy a pack of Marlboro 100s for 55 cents back in the early 70's.
me jus me

Rome, NY

#27 Feb 1, 2014
In the late 60's the store n Croton St was called Mattys. Run by Matty LaGasse. Early 70' it became Vierows. It was owned and run by Herm Vierow. I had many conversations with Herm. He was a great guy to talk to and knew the history of th neighborhood. He purchased it (or built it) maybe in the 1920's. Herms son Hoppy worked there and many would call it Hermys or Hopps.

I imagine it had a long history before Matty's.
lewis stone

Rome, NY

#28 Feb 1, 2014
pepps wrote:
Dibellas
Rizzos
Calvin dominoes lyndale Dr
Tony taylors
Dont forget thw midget mart on w bloomfield st.There was a place on the corner of elm and kent called meads the lady there was as mean as the old bat at laplants.
pepps

Rome, NY

#29 Feb 1, 2014
Yes I did forget good one
pepps

Rome, NY

#30 Feb 1, 2014
There was another store by revere I think it was on the corner of Millbrook I can't rember the name there is a house there now it sets kind of cockeyed it was the 60s
lewis stone

Rome, NY

#31 Feb 3, 2014
pepps wrote:
There was another store by revere I think it was on the corner of Millbrook I can't rember the name there is a house there now it sets kind of cockeyed it was the 60s
Your right they tore the house down and moved the house all the way from across from the old Davidson Chevy on E Dominick.That was fifty years ago.
Kat

Rome, NY

#32 Feb 6, 2014
Carl's Drugs, Stars was located at old price chopper, Jupiter's, Goldberg's, WT Grants, Grandway located where Marshal's is.
justsomeone

Rome, NY

#33 Feb 7, 2014
what about trotz on e dominick st, or diberdino's bread store
samuel clemens

Rome, NY

#34 Feb 7, 2014
me jus me wrote:
In the late 60's the store n Croton St was called Mattys. Run by Matty LaGasse. Early 70' it became Vierows. It was owned and run by Herm Vierow. I had many conversations with Herm. He was a great guy to talk to and knew the history of th neighborhood. He purchased it (or built it) maybe in the 1920's. Herms son Hoppy worked there and many would call it Hermys or Hopps.
I imagine it had a long history before Matty's.
I THINK THATS THE WRONG LAST NAME,I thought it was Maruci?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rome Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
alicia pugliese 1 hr truth 4
ITT Exelis time to shut down (Jul '13) 2 hr Tom 26
HR at Bartell? 2 hr Tom 1
Is SRC, Inc. gonna close down? 3 hr Travis 9
Tired of being woken up 3 hr Takentaken 1
Roanne Destito for mayor 4 hr SamHamm 15
mcavoy ave 5 hr anon 5
•••
•••
Rome Dating