Mom and Pop Stores of the 1950's and ...

Mom and Pop Stores of the 1950's and '60's

Posted in the Rome Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Outta Control

Palm Springs, CA

#1 Nov 22, 2013
What was the name of the store near the old RFA, on Croton Street, just north of Laurel St.? Hubby and I need to settle this. Thanks if you can help. We have so many fond memories of some of the old lunchtime hang outs, but this name escapes us. What memories do you have of some of the old hang out spots of Rome, in the 50's and 60's?
remember

Rome, NY

#2 Nov 22, 2013
I remember mattys
Cold

Watertown, NY

#3 Nov 22, 2013
It's all houses
Outta Control

Palm Springs, CA

#4 Nov 22, 2013
I also recall Gladdy's on E.Thomas St., near Floyd Ave. I walked to Gladdy's at recess from SAA for the blue popsicles and red shoestring licorice. How about Hummiston's ( was that the name?) up near the Lk. Delta Fire Dept. on Elmer Hill Rd., corner of Shank Ave.? Hot summer days, dipping your arm into that Coke cooler , all that icy water up to your elbows. Then there was Jake Almond's on Turin Rd., across from the now Dollar General. Anyone recall those stores? Seems like yesterday to me.
Larry

Rome, NY

#5 Nov 22, 2013
Corgy's on east Bloomfield and George manning s also crooks and colangelo's
Ralph

Rome, NY

#6 Nov 22, 2013
Zimballs
Love Outtas Post

Cortland, NY

#7 Nov 22, 2013
I can't help with the questions but what a refreshing memory of the little things of life that our children won't experience today! Love Your Post! Bless You!
christine

Rome, NY

#8 Nov 23, 2013
Jim's , Corgy's, Mercers and Food O Rama
Jeff

Rome, NY

#9 Nov 23, 2013
Kannoff's .05- $1.00
mlk

Rome, NY

#10 Nov 23, 2013
Rickards on west Dominick, Jim Costello's later Tom Arcuri's on West Court
'

Since: Nov 12

Rome, NY

#11 Nov 23, 2013
it was george's I belive and yes a gd hangout for lunch or skippy lol
J Thayer

Rome, NY

#12 Jan 27, 2014
Outta Control wrote:
What was the name of the store near the old RFA, on Croton Street, just north of Laurel St.? Hubby and I need to settle this. Thanks if you can help. We have so many fond memories of some of the old lunchtime hang outs, but this name escapes us. What memories do you have of some of the old hang out spots of Rome, in the 50's and 60's?
Luccis
Garden St Boy

Schenectady, NY

#13 Jan 27, 2014
Burkes Drugs across from post office.
wow

Vernon Center, NY

#14 Jan 27, 2014
Pat & Lou's on corner of liberty and george I believe..
SKM

Saint Petersburg, FL

#15 Jan 28, 2014
Outta Control wrote:
the store was called Hopps. we use to play foose ball there. was in the front of a house.
SKM

Saint Petersburg, FL

#16 Jan 28, 2014
Outta Control wrote:
iIdont know how old you are but my crew was John cingnarelli,Jerome Platt,Mike Henderson..
SKM

Saint Petersburg, FL

#17 Jan 28, 2014
Justasomeone wrote:
it was george's I belive and yes a gd hangout for lunch or skippy lol
WHO IS THIS FROM ROME?
Louis

Rome, NY

#18 Jan 28, 2014
remember wrote:
Was it Verro's Store?
pepps

Rome, NY

#19 Jan 29, 2014
Burnekos on s James st
East side
Bradys
Sbraglias
Trots
You want a dozen more
lewis stone

Rome, NY

#20 Jan 29, 2014
pepps wrote:
Burnekos on s James st
East side
Bradys
Sbraglias
Trots
You want a dozen more
If your so smart where was Laplants?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rome Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
T Stone Union Activity 38 min Creepy Reptile Guy 17
Is Tony Destito the most ripped guy in the area? 1 hr Tonys lover 113
Kevin and Jen wheadon 4 hr Unbelievable 1
The Target Transgender Policy 5 hr CCRA 7
Stop the Lie, There is no GOD! (Jan '10) 7 hr Reality Check 123
Brian Wright 9 hr hes around 25
female cops shouldn't be allowed 13 hr Atheists United 31
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Rome Mortgages