State finally wises up

State finally wises up

Posted in the Rome Forum

Nomorefraud

Columbus, OH

#1 Mar 17, 2013
Its about time, why wouldnt you agree with this

By DAN GUZEWICH Staff writer

County Legislator Brian P. Mandryck wants his fellow lawmakers to join him in opposing a section of the governor’s executive budget that would limit the authority of local industrial development agencies, such as the Oneida County IDA, to abate state sales tax for qualifying projects.

He is circulating a petition among the 28 other legislators that rejects Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo’s bid to end the power of IDAs to waive state sales tax to help economic development projects move forward. Cuomo says it should be a state-controlled decision on whether to grant state sales tax relief.

"It hurts us more than it is helping us," Mandryck, R-17, Lee, told his GOP legislative caucus this week. He said he decided to draft the petition after talking with local IDA officials.

The state sales tax is 4 percent while the county’s is 4.75 percent.

A company that receives a sales tax exemption letter from an IDA can acquire equipment, materials and services needed to acquire, construct, reconstruct or equip a project without having to pay state or local sales taxes. Under the governor’s proposal, an IDA will not be able to grant the state portion of sales tax exemption benefits without satisfying state-set requirements.

IDAs could, however, continue to grant an exemption for the local portion of the sales tax.

The petitions says, "...the County of Oneida Legislature opposes this proposal and calls for the legislature to reject these reforms due to the detrimental impact they would have on local economic development and job creation efforts."

"It does take away local control," said County Executive Anthony J. Picente Jr.

Copies of the petition will be sent to Cuomo and local state legislators.

The governor and state Legislature leaders are in the closing stage of negotiating a budget for 2013-14 that starts April 1. The governor announced his spending plan in January. The Assembly and Senate passed their versions earlier this week. Now they are trying to work out a compromise budget. An agreement could be announced as soon as Friday. The goal is to have a budget passed by March 21.
Nomorefraud

Columbus, OH

#2 Mar 17, 2013
http://www.oneidacountyida.org/board_members.... .

Why are there so many non profits with no accountability.
How many board members of ida filed for bankruptcy, several have..
Why isnt mohawk valley edge transparent, accountable.
Why does steve dimeo have a life long job? why does he have a $210,000 salary
Lots of questions need to be answered
HaaaHaaa

Boston, MA

#3 Mar 17, 2013
I see DiMeo running and hiding because he is such a weasel!
Expose this loser who wants to benefit on the backs of everyone elses suffering!
Proud Patriot

United States

#4 Mar 20, 2013
Nomorefraud wrote:
http://www.oneidacountyida.org /board_members.asp.
I agree, every time one of these back door tax deals is done the tax burden is simply shifted on to other taxpayers.
Dave

Newington, CT

#5 Mar 20, 2013
Yuuuuuuuupppppp Greg Amoroso
Hello Again

Utica, NY

#6 Mar 31, 2013
Nomorefraud wrote:
http://www.oneidacountyida.org /board_members.asp.
I have been having a dialoge with someone who uses nope as his name. I have commented two days in a row to his responses yet they are not being posted. what's happening?
I have been having a dialoge with someone who uses nope as his name. I have commented two days in a row to his responses yet they are not being posted. what's happening?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rome Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Stinky Pusty Roll Call 56 min Hgcfc 8
Court dantzler chrystal gallardo twins 59 min Bahahahaha 1
News Rome Man Arrested for Eavesdropping 1 hr LMFAO 10
It's sell your soul to the devil day 1 hr iluvrome 1
Cheater scumbag Billie jo young 1 hr Girl 7
Humane Society shirtless men. Lol. 2 hr Mary Beth 39
jessica sylvester (Apr '11) 2 hr Someone who hates... 3

Rome Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance