Erie Canal Village
First Prev
of 6
Next Last
Kelly

West Leyden, NY

#1 Sep 8, 2010
I loved the Erie Canal Village when I was a kid. I went to the Victorian Faire they had last week with my kids and saw how bad it's become. I like the fact they had shows and costume charicters running around, but the buildings are falling apart. I was told by the train conductor that the boat sank twice this year. The whole place has become a dump.
Badger

United States

#2 Sep 8, 2010
I went too. i haven't been there in years. It was disgraceful and looked like it was about to fall apart Half the buildings were locked up. From what I hear the owner just isnt spending the money tho I also heard the gate people were telling people to leave and come back when the fair was ofer. How will that make them any money? Its like they want the place to fail
Mike

Long Eddy, NY

#3 Sep 9, 2010
It's time for the city of Rome to totally re-evaluate this facility. If its not the draw they want it to be, then sell or auction off the artifacts and turn the property over to a developer. That's some prime real estate that could be used for residential development. And screw this notion about a tourist attraction. They have the fort.
Kelly

West Leyden, NY

#4 Sep 10, 2010
Mike wrote:
It's time for the city of Rome to totally re-evaluate this facility. If its not the draw they want it to be, then sell or auction off the artifacts and turn the property over to a developer. That's some prime real estate that could be used for residential development. And screw this notion about a tourist attraction. They have the fort.
It's too bad they don't just fix it and run it like the fair did. Music and plays made it worth the money I paid to get in, but just walking around looking at rotting buildings isn't worth 15 bucks a head.

“New to Rome”

Since: Jul 09

Location hidden

#5 Sep 12, 2010
Kelly wrote:
<quoted text>
It's too bad they don't just fix it and run it like the fair did. Music and plays made it worth the money I paid to get in, but just walking around looking at rotting buildings isn't worth 15 bucks a head.
All we did is paint, do some minor repairs and mow the grass. We did do a lot of work reclaiming part of the nature trail and the outdoor theater, but we did nothing to fix the major problems the buildings have. It's too much work and money for a property we are just renting, so we will be going to Gelston Castle next year.
HistoryLover

Brooklyn, NY

#6 Sep 12, 2010
Last I knew, the Erie Canal was sold to a person. I wish they would fix it up and build a camping facility there. There is so much land there, but it is mostly going to waste. I think they should let the Amish help them restore and build it into a little village for them. They should hold a farmers market there and I bet it will attract more than what the crappy ones I have seen in this area.

The Erie Canal Village used to have one of the best haunted hayrides. I remember my 6th grade teacher brought my class and others from around the Rome CSD there to spend a day in the one room school house. It was quite the experience. Best time to do it is in the winter time because the teacher has to load the wood stove for heat and the bathroom is quite a walk.
Curious

Hamilton, NY

#7 Sep 12, 2010
Does this place still have a haunted house and hayride in October?
HistoryLover

Brooklyn, NY

#8 Sep 12, 2010
September
September 18 to October 11

Hours

Saturday & Sunday
10 a.m.- 5 p.m.

Wednesday - Friday
By reservation only
with a minimum of
a group of 10.

Harvest Festival. This is a celebration of 19th century life at the end of the farming season featuring various demonstrations held throughout the event including quilting, old fashioned rug hooking, blacksmithing, haying, open hearth cooking, and baking. Visitors are invited to help make and sample cider squeezed in our 19th century press. Refreshments and snacks available.

Antique Farm Machinery Exhibit. Mike Milewski, blacksmith and farrier, will present an exhibit on antique farm machinery.

No charge for admission.

Pony Rides -$3.00

Train Ride to Pumpkinville -$3.00 includes:

Train Ride
Free Pumpkin (while supplies last) or Pumpkin Treat
Corn Maze
Horse Drawn Wagon Ride -$3.00 includes:

Wagon Ride
Boat Cruise -$6.00

Also Available at no charge:

Tillie the Talking Pumpkin
Pumpkin Patch Playground
Petting Zoo
Educators: Make your reservations early.$5.00 per person includes train ride, wagon ride, donut hole, cider, free pumpkin and all exhibits.

September 18
7:00 PM Barn Dance.$5.00 per adult. Everyone under 18 needs to be accompanied by an adult.
September 25 & 26 Authors Day.

October
October 2 & 3 Quilt Display.
October 9 & 10 Celebrate 100th Birthday of our Steam Locomotive.
Curious

Hamilton, NY

#9 Sep 12, 2010
Thanks for posting that!
Kelly

West Leyden, NY

#10 Sep 13, 2010
E R Williams wrote:
<quoted text>
All we did is paint, do some minor repairs and mow the grass. We did do a lot of work reclaiming part of the nature trail and the outdoor theater, but we did nothing to fix the major problems the buildings have. It's too much work and money for a property we are just renting, so we will be going to Gelston Castle next year.
You mean it looked worse? The whole place was falling apart and looked like crap! The big mannor house was in realy bad shape. Most of the buildings had broken windows and rotting wood. The place is so bad its just a matter of time before someone gets hurt when a building collapses on them. You should have made it safe before you started or gone somewhere else! I agree it's time the city steps in and does something to fix the place.

“New to Rome”

Location hidden

#11 Oct 5, 2010
Kelly wrote:
<quoted text>
You mean it looked worse? The whole place was falling apart and looked like crap! The big mannor house was in realy bad shape. Most of the buildings had broken windows and rotting wood. The place is so bad its just a matter of time before someone gets hurt when a building collapses on them. You should have made it safe before you started or gone somewhere else! I agree it's time the city steps in and does something to fix the place.
I'm sorry you feel that way, Kelly. In fact we are going somewhere else and yes the village has problems. However, those problems aren't mine, they are yours if you live in Rome. Without going into too much detail, the place is falling apart. If you want to see what it looked like before we did any work on it, click this link: http://s802.photobucket.com/home/victorianfai...
JAMESROME

Mechanicville, NY

#12 Oct 15, 2010
I just viewed all these photos, it is a crying shame. who ever owns-runs it should be ashamed of themselves. I also know that the city of rome and the historical society have something to do with it so shame on them.
E R Williams wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm sorry you feel that way, Kelly. In fact we are going somewhere else and yes the village has problems. However, those problems aren't mine, they are yours if you live in Rome. Without going into too much detail, the place is falling apart. If you want to see what it looked like before we did any work on it, click this link: http://s802.photobucket.com/home/victorianfai...
Kelly

West Leyden, NY

#13 Oct 17, 2010
E R Williams wrote:
<quoted text>
Mr. Williams,

Your photos have made the rounds. It's just a matter of time before the city has to do something about the village. The newest rumor is that they allowed many of the artifacts be destroyed when a roof caved in and it took them six months before they tried to save the antiques. Also, the owner alowed his employees to steal artifacts because he couldn't afford to pay them. You should contact the paper and tell them what you know.
SAVEROME

Mechanicville, NY

#14 Oct 18, 2010
Someone please save Erie Canal Village, the city has far to much invested to allow it to crave in. The owner should be brought up on charges, and the staff all should be let go. when i worked there as a teen, i thought the city owned all the stuff inside those houses. So who is taking care of our property? The Mayor should go there for a drop in visit to see what is really taking place.

“New to Rome”

Location hidden

#15 Oct 21, 2010
JAMESROME wrote:
I just viewed all these photos, it is a crying shame. who ever owns-runs it should be ashamed of themselves. I also know that the city of rome and the historical society have something to do with it so shame on them.
<quoted text>
The Rome Historic Society had nothing to do with the damage; that was caused by neglect on the part of the current management. The manager blames everyone else for the problems, but it was she that allowed the Shull house to be destroyed. I have heard the problem is being handled by the city, so everyone should just relax and let them do what they can to save the remaining antiques.

We have put in an offer to buy the place, but the current owner doesn't want to sell. The current manager isn't going to be fired and as long as she's in charge we won't be returning to the Erie Canal Village. If you feel strongly about the situation, call the local paper, city hall or your Congressman. However, I have done all I can do and am moving on to another site in another city.

“New to Rome”

Location hidden

#16 Oct 21, 2010
Kelly wrote:
<quoted text>
Mr. Williams,
Your photos have made the rounds. It's just a matter of time before the city has to do something about the village. The newest rumor is that they allowed many of the artifacts be destroyed when a roof caved in and it took them six months before they tried to save the antiques. Also, the owner alowed his employees to steal artifacts because he couldn't afford to pay them. You should contact the paper and tell them what you know.
I'm sure they have my number if they were interested in anything I have to say.
Kelly

West Leyden, NY

#17 Oct 23, 2010
E R Williams wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm sure they have my number if they were interested in anything I have to say.
I'm interested! Why wont anyone tell the whole story? This site isn't the private playground for the Melewskis! The Erie Canal Village was promissed to us, not a pair of underhanded liars!

Since: Sep 10

rome, ny

#18 Oct 23, 2010
Curious wrote:
Does this place still have a haunted house and hayride in October?
yes next weekend the 30th is the last day from 7-9p
Curious

Brooklyn, NY

#19 Oct 23, 2010
Has anyone gone to the Halloween stuff? Is it decent?

Since: Sep 10

rome, ny

#20 Oct 24, 2010
Curious wrote:
Has anyone gone to the Halloween stuff? Is it decent?
its alright better then doing nothing

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rome Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Rome Man Creates Amazing Short Film About The C... 5 min redbaron 4
Party barge on L Delta 12 min Brexit Brentwood ... 68
White bmw 1 hr Johnny 6
Venereal Disease 1 hr Johnny 2
No Balz topix posters 3 hr Hypocrite 4
Dominick N. 11 hr redbaron 17
Michael The kid cooker 12 hr Drop The Cow 13
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Rome Mortgages