Soecial K

Boston, MA

#24 Oct 17, 2012
Wow says ignore everything....nice tude!
HOT TAMALE

Rome, NY

#25 Oct 19, 2012
CLOSE ALL HOMES DOWN, SEND THEM BACK TO THEIR SURVIVING RELATIVES
Hmmm

Brooklyn, NY

#26 Oct 19, 2012
HOT TAMALE wrote:
CLOSE ALL HOMES DOWN, SEND THEM BACK TO THEIR SURVIVING RELATIVES
Many people in State run homes have no family. Some are from families that aren't capable of caring for them. You really don't have a clue.
Hmmm

Rye, NY

#28 Oct 21, 2012
As I said, you don't have a clue. Tomorrow, you could be in a car accident, end up with a TBI, and be one of "them". Be careful what you wish for.
DDSO Personnel

Woburn, MA

#29 Oct 21, 2012
Does it matter if all us drunks show up all sh..faced to work?
fatass

Brooklyn, NY

#30 Oct 21, 2012
Most of the females that work there, i mean collect a check from the state, are very similar in shape and size, then get hurt, collect a comp check and settlement..........then on to the next paying injury........hmmmm work the system or what??????? Witnessed it personally

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

#31 Oct 21, 2012
Hmmm wrote:
As I said, you don't have a clue. Tomorrow, you could be in a car accident, end up with a TBI, and be one of "them". Be careful what you wish for.
Only if they are under the age of 21 when they get the brain injury. Going back to the state school days would be wrong though. It is worse than hurding all the old people into nursing homes. Under staffed,over worked and the care goes out the window. No one would go visit them in the state school. Hence no one to notice the neglect. Granted many of these people get no visitors but a few do.
Hmmm

Rye, NY

#32 Oct 21, 2012
fatass wrote:
Most of the females that work there, i mean collect a check from the state, are very similar in shape and size, then get hurt, collect a comp check and settlement..........then on to the next paying injury........hmmmm work the system or what??????? Witnessed it personally
What universe do you live in? Most?? I worked for the State for 30 years. In all that time, I encountered just one shirker who claimed an injury that didn't exist, and HE was decidedly male. I've been injured on the job and never claimed comp for it. The women I worked with (women, not "females", TYVM), came in all sizes and shapes. I suspect that you "witnessed" only what you wanted to witness.
Fore

Rome, NY

#33 Oct 21, 2012
Grumpy68 wrote:
<quoted text>I don't know now but 7 or 8 years ago house 6 was real bad. It is a behavior house. The employees were so rotten to the consumers. Mentally abusive. The stress was unbelievable. Instead of reporting someone,I approached them myself about it. What a mistake. The retaliation was horrible. I just thought,go to the source first and then if things didn't change report it. Other houses I had worked in were good. Sometimes,it is better to work part time in a good house then to bid and get full time in a bad one.
They are called consumers because they are buying your help. That is what I was told when I asked in training. Originally they were called retards. It became a negative word so they changed it. No matter what they call them it always becomes a negative word. You ever hear someone say to someone else...You are such a client? I have. That is why they are no longer called clients.
Foreskin problem there too?
Hmmm

Wilbraham, MA

#36 Oct 21, 2012
Yeah wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't clue huh - funny many years in and retired I have more of a clue than you can imagine stupid ass. Learn your facts before you open your trap dope!!!
So because I called you on it, your only response is to call me names. Thirty years here, and retired, so you must,have worked for a different agency, in another galaxy.
Hmmm

United States

#38 Oct 21, 2012
You're aware, then, that if you were working for that state agency today, you could be charged with abuse for calling the people we served "dopes". That alone tells me that you should never have had contact with them, let alone worked for an agency that has their welfare as a priority. You wouldn't have been around for long if you had called them dopes in my presence. Good riddance to you. You're exactly the kind of person who should never be a caregiver. Get somebody to take the big chip off your shoulder.

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

#39 Oct 21, 2012
Yeah wrote:
<quoted text>
Because people that drool on themselves and don't know what the hell is going on all while pissing themselves in Walmart is improving their lifestyle right? Or maybe the pedophiles from Dewey rd at dunkin donuts eyeing your children are def getting quality of life right? Give me a break lady and be real! Some individuals I do think would benefit from being in the community but majority do not!!!
The pedophiles should be in prison. I will agree. Not just Dewey rd though. There are others who are only there because they got a good lawyer and were young enough to get put there. I agree that is wrong.
Newer employee

Rome, NY

#42 Oct 21, 2012
Yeah wrote:
<quoted text>
Get over yourself, you used up rotten twat! I obviously did something right to last as long as I did. You wouldn't have lasted around me because I would of made your life hell. You, dope, shouldn't be employed there because its people like you with the awe poor mentality that causes trouble for the good workers that work as a team. Get back at me after one punches you in the face you stupid ass!!! Hahaha I laugh at you and I feel sorry for your coworkers. Pull that tampon out of your ass because your too uptight!!!
It is people like you that give state workers a bad name! I have encountered some ugly rotten employees, but I have Also seen some good ones and i am one of them. I do the job because i enjoy helping others, and if you don't you shouldn't work with these individuals. All i can hope is i don't end up as BITTER and washed up as you! Enjoy retirement, god knows these people are better off without you around!
DDSO girl

Boston, MA

#43 Oct 22, 2012
Problems at DDSO start at the top!
The effects of irresponsible administrators like John Gleason or Laurie Bielby and their irrefutable antics are evident in every aspect of the job!
Hmmm

United States

#44 Oct 22, 2012
Newer employee wrote:
<quoted text>
It is people like you that give state workers a bad name! I have encountered some ugly rotten employees, but I have Also seen some good ones and i am one of them. I do the job because i enjoy helping others, and if you don't you shouldn't work with these individuals. All i can hope is i don't end up as BITTER and washed up as you! Enjoy retirement, god knows these people are better off without you around!
Couldn't have said it better if I'd tried. Thanks, and thank you for taking care of the folks most state workers care about.

If you have kids or grandparents who drool or wet their pants at WalMart, watch out for this guy. He'd want them institutionalized.
Former DSO employee

Rome, NY

#45 Oct 22, 2012
Newer employee wrote:
<quoted text>
To newer employee: Congratulations on your new job; sounds like the individuals will benefit from your caring nature. I understand there are stricter regulations involved in hiring new employees so hopefully more like yourself are hired. To work there in the homes takes a special person... the retired person to me sounds like he/she should not have worked there and was unhappy doing so. Good luck to you!!
Hmmm

United States

#46 Oct 22, 2012
Former DSO employee wrote:
<quoted text>
To newer employee: Congratulations on your new job; sounds like the individuals will benefit from your caring nature. I understand there are stricter regulations involved in hiring new employees so hopefully more like yourself are hired. To work there in the homes takes a special person... the retired person to me sounds like he/she should not have worked there and was unhappy doing so. Good luck to you!!
I agree. There used to be state workers who were more institutionalized than the people they worked with. Their idea of caregiving was keeping their charges quiet and in line. Their idea of teamwork was keeping anyone down who broke their ward rules, including other staff. When you came to work on a ward, you were told, "THIS is how we do things, so don't come into our little kingdom and try to change anything." A very few of those employees are still around, but not many, thank God. Some of them were convinced that developmentally disabled people weren't really people, or that the most disabled couldn't benefit from being treated well. My opinion was always that they were afraid at some level that unless they waved their keys around, someone might mistake them for the "inmates". You'll always find a few insecure bullies in any caregiving arrangement. It's hard to weed them out in an interview, and even harder to pry them loose once they're hired, because they're the first to run to their union contract looking for a way to protect their rights.

I've been in situations where individuals hit, bit and spit, but in most of those cases, the aggression was triggered by fear, confusion,etc. We all have a fight or flight response, and if you know from experience that flight is impossible, the only option is to lash out to protect yourself from whatever (or whomever) seems threatening. Of course, if staff think the person is subhuman to begin with, patience and problem solving fly right out the window. In the short term, once a behavior gets out of hand, you might have to respond physically to get it calmed down, but then it's time to find out what made it happen. That's not bleeding heart, it's simple common sense.

I'm glad there are staff who take the time to get to know the people they're caring for. They're all different, with layers of personality and quirks, like anybody else. Don't ever let go of your humanity or your sense of humor when it comes to working with them. You're not likely to become burnt out or bitter anyway. You didn't come into the job angry, and you're unlikely to leave it that way. It's physically and emotionally hard work sometimes, but it does have its rewards. A good attitude rubs off on almost everybody. ;)
DDSO girl

Nashua, NH

#47 Oct 22, 2012
My senior personnel administrator Laurie Leaf is convicted of DWI and 2 counts of child endangerment and is presently on house arrest but still works!
Of course we all respect her?
Oh come on

Dracut, MA

#48 Oct 22, 2012
Well not all of the personnel staff is like that.....
Most of them are worse!
beans burritto

Rome, NY

#49 Oct 23, 2012
much worse

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rome Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Tim brower 42 min so sad 3
Why are tests scores so low at RFA 49 min Hey STUPID 107
NYS Child support thieves 51 min Jessie 51
Rome Home Show 3 hr Mrs Smith 4
Poll Fusco - Deviant or Genetic Defective? (Sep '13) 5 hr beans tostada 20
RomeSucks 5 hr beans tostada 17
Erie Canal Village - Makeover or Close It? 7 hr SHNeverStripped 12
More from around the web

Rome People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE