First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

#21 May 8, 2012
I'd say that those who think badly of the theater are probably not fond of art. So the only thing they have left to do is bash it. I know the place is old and is probably in need of repair. As long as it remains open there is hope for it. Little by little I'm sure the owner will fix things as he/she gets the money to do it. It's typical that some people think just because a person owns a business they must be loaded. The owner of the theater has overhead to pay. Electric, taxes, the cost of getting those movies, paying the organ player, regular routine maintenance, etc. the best way to help the owner fix the place up is to patronize it. The city may be aware of some code violations there but that doesn't mean the owner can do it all at once. The city usually gives businesses a certain amount of time to fix things up. Shorter times for more serious things, longer times for less serious things. I, for one, am happy to know that it's still open. I bet I'll even stop in for a show the next time I'm in town. I bet the same people who complain about the shape it's in would also complain if they closed down. In the eyes of many Romans one can never win. They will complain no matter what was to happen. If I lived there I would volunteer my time to help fix up the place. Can anyone else say that? Say I did and another business owner walked in and saw my work. He/she might ask me to do work for them...paid! You never know.
ROCCO

Rome, NY

#22 May 8, 2012
we want a state of the art theatre,now!

Location hidden

#23 May 8, 2012
Rome will never see such things. It doesn't have a big enough art/theater following.
CapAlumni

Utica, NY

#24 May 8, 2012
PaulS1985 wrote:
I'd say that those who think badly of the theater are probably not fond of art. So the only thing they have left to do is bash it. I know the place is old and is probably in need of repair. As long as it remains open there is hope for it. Little by little I'm sure the owner will fix things as he/she gets the money to do it. It's typical that some people think just because a person owns a business they must be loaded. The owner of the theater has overhead to pay. Electric, taxes, the cost of getting those movies, paying the organ player, regular routine maintenance, etc. the best way to help the owner fix the place up is to patronize it. The city may be aware of some code violations there but that doesn't mean the owner can do it all at once. The city usually gives businesses a certain amount of time to fix things up. Shorter times for more serious things, longer times for less serious things. I, for one, am happy to know that it's still open. I bet I'll even stop in for a show the next time I'm in town. I bet the same people who complain about the shape it's in would also complain if they closed down. In the eyes of many Romans one can never win. They will complain no matter what was to happen. If I lived there I would volunteer my time to help fix up the place. Can anyone else say that? Say I did and another business owner walked in and saw my work. He/she might ask me to do work for them...paid! You never know.
here's the real update, not filled with hearsay.

There is a brand new electrical system that saves on a lot of energy loss, the main lobby has been completely redone and looks great, The stage is excellent shape and free from clutter and set pieces, the downstairs dressing room area is far less damp and dank than it was 20 years ago. Classic memories from past shows now decorate the Loge Lobby. The Bathrooms have switched sides downstairs on the main floor.

If there is anything that they need it's new sound and light boards, and the new young management there has given this local gem new polish and shine. Anyone who says otherwise, doesn't know what they are talking about. Nobody owns the theatre outright, it's a non-profit with a board of directors.

now you know.

Location hidden

#25 May 8, 2012
CapAlumni wrote:
<quoted text>here's the real update, not filled with hearsay.

There is a brand new electrical system that saves on a lot of energy loss, the main lobby has been completely redone and looks great, The stage is excellent shape and free from clutter and set pieces, the downstairs dressing room area is far less damp and dank than it was 20 years ago. Classic memories from past shows now decorate the Loge Lobby. The Bathrooms have switched sides downstairs on the main floor.

If there is anything that they need it's new sound and light boards, and the new young management there has given this local gem new polish and shine. Anyone who says otherwise, doesn't know what they are talking about. Nobody owns the theatre outright, it's a non-profit with a board of directors.

now you know.
Thank you. Sounds great!
captain howdy

Rome, NY

#26 Jun 6, 2012
doing good at what? being the worst run theatre in the nation?
vyd

Rome, NY

#27 Jun 7, 2012
i agree. good at what? i don't know if it's the entertainment who contacts the capitol or vice versa, but yeah, it does suck when i'm seeing national acts in venues that are basically the same, in other cities within the state. lol, besides sesame street, when was the last big act at the theater?
captain howdy

Rome, NY

#28 Jun 8, 2012
THE CAPITOL SHOULD BE IN SMALL CASE LETTERS!
Digby Reilly

Syracuse, NY

#29 Jun 8, 2012
vyd wrote:
i agree. good at what? i don't know if it's the entertainment who contacts the capitol or vice versa, but yeah, it does suck when i'm seeing national acts in venues that are basically the same, in other cities within the state. lol, besides sesame street, when was the last big act at the theater?
Depends what you mean by big act, vyd. I don't care about seseme street because my kids are not into it, so I wouldn't call it a big act. But I've been to some big band shows there recently where the place was packed, and Gloriana a couple of months ago was a sell out or pretty close. And the beatlemania show a few weeks ago was great. I would call that a big act, but that's because it's the sort of thing I like. Earlier this week they had a show with three bands I never heard of (local?) so I don't care about it and wouldn't call it a big act, but I bet the people who like these bands think it's a huge act.
Rome is not a big city so you're not gonna rate the million dollar shows, I guess--but what I've seen a lot at the Capital in the last couple of years that has been great in my book.

Since: Jun 12

Bangladesh

#30 Jun 9, 2012
Interesting post. I have been wondering about this issue,so thanks for posting.
captain howdy

Rome, NY

#31 Jun 9, 2012
IT PROBABLY WILL CLOSE SOON!
CAP FACTS

Brooklyn, NY

#32 Jul 3, 2012
I am amazed at both the positive and informed words of support from many on this forum for the Capitol Theatre, and perplexed by the negativity and misinformation by our detractors. As I write this, 70 local actors are rehearsing the hit musical HAIRSPRAY, which opens in less than two weeks (July 12-14). An equally large and talented cast is preparing for the SOUND OF MUSIC, playing August 3-5, which will feature one of the finest soprano voices in the Mohawk Valley. Capitol’s SummerStage has presented at least two musical every year since the Capitol reopened in 1985.

One of the Capitol’s fortes is silent and early talking pictures. The weekend of August 12-14 is our annual CapitolFest, which features our original installation 10 rank Moeller Theatre Organ accompanying silent feature films. While Turner Classic Movies also feature many of the titles we present, they cannot duplicate the experience of watching 20 classic movies on a large screen with a live audience reacting to the action.

And that is just in the next two months. In fact we have had over 100 performance nights per year for the last several years. In the last year we have had, Rock, Jazz, Big Band, Ballet, Symphony Syracuse, and Gospel concerts. We have had numerous classic movie presentations. And we have donated our facilities to benefit the City of Rome, The Rome Rescue Mission, and other worthy causes.

Do we have needs – ABSOLUTELY. Our building dates back to 1928, and after 84 years, many things can and should be renovated and restored, and as a public charity, your tax-deductible donations are welcome. BUT, we are in full compliance with current safety codes, including the National Electrical Code, particularly as it applies to theaters. As the largest public assembly building in Rome, the Rome Codes Department and Rome Fire Department inspect us annually. We have NO outstanding issues with either. In fact our main electrical service and stage distribution were completely new less than four years ago.

Over the next several years, with the help of many in the Mohawk Valley, the Capitol will embark on a major renovation and restoration project. And among many improvements, we hope to rebuild the theatre’s marquee. That is one of our many dreams – we need your help to fulfill them.

The Capitol Center for the Performing Arts, is a not-for-profit corporation managed by a 12 member Board of Directors. The Board and the theatre’s management welcome your programming suggestions. While the Capitol produces many of its shows, we are also available for rent to groups interested in their own productions.

Visit our website at www.RomeCapitol.org and see our latest schedule. We have productions that will fit any ones taste; BUT we need you to be our audience.
FBI

Rye, NY

#33 Jul 3, 2012
Watching Rome wrote:
Well,somebody in Rome must have bit Dee in the butt.I'm just saying....
Not sure about the organ,but I do believe it is still in use.
About the club...I meant a danceclub for TEENS,not a drinking establishment.And it wouldn't be hard to control the croud mostly by pre-entrance regulations.I've seen places that are very successful,even in larger cities.For instance,there's one in Tampa,that requires a breathalizer test,overcoat check-ins,and personal pocket,waist,and shoes n sock inspections.There's a lot of business just because the kids feel safe and the parents are allowed to visitfor free(but not hang around too long,cause thats just wrong)lol
Aren't you on some sex offender list? If not you should be you sound like a pedophile .
captain howdy

Rome, NY

#34 Jul 4, 2012
the capitol is a complete failure! restore it as it was in the 1940's! stop stealing the money and refurbish it! now!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rome Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
El Chico restaurate 15 min Dunkin 14
Cuomo Unveils Upstate Economic Revitalization C... 37 min Shipwreck Lady 12
Tony d-Roid and steroids 1 hr Call Curt 45
Tom mercurio 2 hr Cops 4
Rome Teacher Morale 4 hr Tara Lyn 14
Family court lawyer 4 hr White father 4
Tocolanna and Galiano Club 7 hr Bahahahaha 41
sociopath 12 hr Drop The Cow 38
Rose from dippen donuts 12 hr Drop The Cow 25
Naked Wrestling With My Sister (Dec '10) Mar 1 omg 175