CAPITOL THEATER doin good

Posted in the Rome Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Watching Rome

Long Eddy, NY

#1 May 4, 2012
I really like seeing Rome's historical theater doing such a good job,and getting more active all the time.Been seeing lots of great movies and shows,most recently the Rebecca St.James(kudos for including some local young talent)I remember that little Sarah Click singing in Rome since she was a tiny child.Would be nice if this area focused more on our young people.And the Capital theater has been there all these years not doing much until lately.Keep going Capital crew!!!!! You're doing a great job!!!!!!!!I would like to see a local talent show (no prizes) every year.Just charge admission and get the community invovled.

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

#2 May 4, 2012
I can't believe that place still exists. Awesome!! I recall as a kid my uncle took me there to see a Vaudeville show featuring Tiny Tim and Sherman Helmsley. That is so old, I love it.
Watching Rome

Long Eddy, NY

#3 May 4, 2012
That's where I saw the first Beatles movie,"It's a Hard Day's Night".lol They still show old movies like "Godzilla" and Lon Chaney hits.Its a little bit of the old downtown.Got a couple restaurants,banks,health food store (good prices n variety),couple other stores.Now all they need is to bring another danceclub down there so the teens have someplace to go.There's like three empty bldgs. right across the street from the theater where the old place was.I think it was called the Hullabaloo or something like that.There's really nothing in Rome for the teens to do,unless its special city events,or if they're involved with school events.But you know how that goes,when you gotta know someone to be someone.Its still like that in Rome,but its getting a little better.

I really believe whoever is running the theater is making a big difference these days.They even have free movies during some of the city events.

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#4 May 4, 2012
Watching Rome wrote:
That's where I saw the first Beatles movie,"It's a Hard Day's Night".lol They still show old movies like "Godzilla" and Lon Chaney hits.Its a little bit of the old downtown.Got a couple restaurants,banks,health food store (good prices n variety),couple other stores.Now all they need is to bring another danceclub down there so the teens have someplace to go.There's like three empty bldgs. right across the street from the theater where the old place was.I think it was called the Hullabaloo or something like that.There's really nothing in Rome for the teens to do,unless its special city events,or if they're involved with school events.But you know how that goes,when you gotta know someone to be someone.Its still like that in Rome,but its getting a little better.

I really believe whoever is running the theater is making a big difference these days.They even have free movies during some of the city events.
I think they should host local bands there, or even do like a battle of the bands locally here. Tons of younger people would go in a heartbeat. There just isn't much like that in Rome. To see local bands you usually have to go to Utica.
Dee

Utica, NY

#5 May 4, 2012
The place is falling down and stinks inside. It is dirty and needs millions to renovate. There s not enough money in this poor community to reconstruct this facility. Dont burden us further with some lame fundraiser and bled the working poor which you relive your childhoods.

Location hidden

#6 May 4, 2012
I'm just so happy to hear that the theater is still in business. Does it still have that organ that came out of the floor in front of the stage. The first time I saw that as a kid my jaw hit the floor. Now it's kind of corny but I'd still like to see it. I'm nostalgic like that. I agree with teens needing a place to go. But I'm not do sure a club is the answer. When I lived in Rome there were two clubs, one on Canal St and one in New Hartford. Neither lasted because of underage drinking. Which is funny to think of now because then the drinking age was only 19. Of course the one on Canal St was owned by one of the Trifficana brothers. Those guys were always into trouble for that.
Watching Rome

Long Eddy, NY

#7 May 4, 2012
Well,somebody in Rome must have bit Dee in the butt.I'm just saying....

Not sure about the organ,but I do believe it is still in use.

About the club...I meant a danceclub for TEENS,not a drinking establishment.And it wouldn't be hard to control the croud mostly by pre-entrance regulations.I've seen places that are very successful,even in larger cities.For instance,there's one in Tampa,that requires a breathalizer test,overcoat check-ins,and personal pocket,waist,and shoes n sock inspections.There's a lot of business just because the kids feel safe and the parents are allowed to visitfor free(but not hang around too long,cause thats just wrong)lol

Location hidden

#8 May 4, 2012
Watching Rome wrote:
Well,somebody in Rome must have bit Dee in the butt.I'm just saying....

Not sure about the organ,but I do believe it is still in use.

About the club...I meant a danceclub for TEENS,not a drinking establishment.And it wouldn't be hard to control the croud mostly by pre-entrance regulations.I've seen places that are very successful,even in larger cities.For instance,there's one in Tampa,that requires a breathalizer test,overcoat check-ins,and personal pocket,waist,and shoes n sock inspections.There's a lot of business just because the kids feel safe and the parents are allowed to visitfor free(but not hang around too long,cause thats just wrong)lol
Those two clubs I spoke about were underage dance clubs. But teens always manage to get hold of alcohol somehow and they brought it to the clubs. Problem was the owners knew this was happening and chose to look the other way because the money was flowing as much as the booze was.
Watching Rome

Long Eddy, NY

#9 May 4, 2012
Yeah,I remember.lol But that was then and this is now.Its a more serious issue now,but also better ways to beat the problem,and more people interested in helping our kids betterthemselves.

Location hidden

#10 May 4, 2012
That's all true. Hell, it's worth a shot. Rome has very little positive sources of entertainment.
GSS88

Brooklyn, NY

#11 May 5, 2012
The capitol could be great, if they didn't waste the money on the Marquee sign, and instead decided to renovate the interior which is falling apart and destroys the appeal of the location holding REAL events.

IF They would let someone with brains manage the operation they wouldn't destroy the integrity by adding mini theaters and all that hipster garbage they want to add and instead preserved it, renovated it, and then hosted the events that would make them hundreds of thousands in revenue...

But no, someone has an erection for that marquee.

How about the 40+ codes violations, from everything starting in the tunnels below to the lighting fixtures that are OBSCENE fire hazards??

City should shut them down NOW and make them renovate and repair their damages inside before they can be allowed to purchase that marquee.
kudos

Blossvale, NY

#12 May 5, 2012
nice to hear the positive once in while
Watching Rome wrote:
I really like seeing Rome's historical theater doing such a good job,and getting more active all the time.Been seeing lots of great movies and shows,most recently the Rebecca St.James(kudos for including some local young talent)I remember that little Sarah Click singing in Rome since she was a tiny child.Would be nice if this area focused more on our young people.And the Capital theater has been there all these years not doing much until lately.Keep going Capital crew!!!!! You're doing a great job!!!!!!!!I would like to see a local talent show (no prizes) every year.Just charge admission and get the community invovled.

Location hidden

#13 May 5, 2012
GSS88 wrote:
The capitol could be great, if they didn't waste the money on the Marquee sign, and instead decided to renovate the interior which is falling apart and destroys the appeal of the location holding REAL events.

IF They would let someone with brains manage the operation they wouldn't destroy the integrity by adding mini theaters and all that hipster garbage they want to add and instead preserved it, renovated it, and then hosted the events that would make them hundreds of thousands in revenue...

But no, someone has an erection for that marquee.

How about the 40+ codes violations, from everything starting in the tunnels below to the lighting fixtures that are OBSCENE fire hazards??

City should shut them down NOW and make them renovate and repair their damages inside before they can be allowed to purchase that marquee.
I don't know the first thing about running a theater but I do know construction. First, we don't know the status of the owner's finances. He may not have the money to do it. Second, a place that old may be on the historic registry. If it is, then that's a different set of rules for renovations. The wood, the seating, the paint, the carpet, lighting, all have to be approved through the historical society. Some, if not all, of the molding in that place is hand-carved. It need to be replaced with the same stuff. Hand-carved anything is extremely expensive. Also, the National Electrical Code states that any walls that are opened up for renovation the electric inside that wall MUST be brought up to current code requirements. The electrical wiring in that place is very old. It would be very expensive to upgrade it. This rule applies to houses as well. Say you have a house built in the 60's with old 60's paneling and you wanted to remove it and put up drywall to brighten it up. Before you can put the drywall up you have to rip out ALL of the electrical wiring and bring it up to code. This is a national code, it applies in all 50 states. So if the theater needs the kind of work you say it does, there's way more expense involved than you may think.

Syracuse, NY

#14 May 5, 2012
Hey, PaulS--went to the Capital tonigth with my girlfriend and saw a silent movie believe it or not, and they used the organ for the music. A guy from NJ was playing it and it was awesome. I had seen the artist when it came out and liked it a lot but thies was WAY better. A guy we were sitting near said they do this quite a lot there--who knew?

Hey GS--I'm not expert and admit I wasn't paying real close attention, but I didn't see nothing wrong with the light fixtures--They all looked pretty cool to me--you got some definite knowledge of problems?
Kerry

Utica, NY

#15 May 5, 2012
It's a pit. Stop living in the past grease balls.
GSS88

Brooklyn, NY

#16 May 6, 2012
Actually I do, feel free to take a walk around the building and examine the state of the wiring running to and from the spotlights. Each is in itself is a fire waiting to happen.

The entire interior is in need of renovation, but national codes aside the place is not up to LOCAL CODES either and should be forced to renovate. Applying the energy of a marquee sign to the current electrical system will only prove to destroy what little integrity it has left and likely blow out the entire system. The entire electrical system is improperly shielded, if shielded at all in many places. And honestly a few FOIL forms will get the information you need on their plans, and costs, as well as the organizations financial records. They have the money for a sign, they have the money to renovate. SAFETY is being overlooked for Glamour?

SO why is it s BAD thing that the wiring must be brought up to code... THAT'S exactly what I'm saying. Bring it all back up to code so the place and operate LEGALLY and then imagine what kind of business it would get with the PROPER backing.

Seriously, that squirley bastard ART and the latent homosexual JACK might as well blow each other because their plans are SHIT.

Since: May 12

United States

#17 May 7, 2012
OMG I love the Capitol! Fave place in Rome!
So confused

Brooklyn, NY

#18 May 7, 2012
MsKp wrote:
OMG I love the Capitol! Fave place in Rome!
That is sad!!
GSS88

Brooklyn, NY

#19 May 8, 2012
Art's wife I'd assume...
ROCCO

Utica, NY

#20 May 8, 2012
the capitol has nada!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rome Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Back 9 8 min your mother 10
sharon gulimo sperduto died rip sharon 10 min your mother 1
Greystone Animal (Jan '12) 11 min Rude 38
RFA to have winning 2018 season in a newly form... 11 min Im guessing 5
What does it take to be evicted from Park Drive... 14 min Keep wondering 2
wage justice now 1 hr redsoxs 6
3 Day concert event at Vernon Downs July 2018?? 5 hr LocalG 8

Rome Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance