Indefinitely suspend license plate re...

Indefinitely suspend license plate reader program

Posted in the Rome Forum

Unconstitutional

Rome, NY

#1 Dec 15, 2013
http://www.theverge.com/2013/12/14/5211000/bo...

Boston just got rid of theirs. Hopefully ignorant Romans, Ny'ers and others states will follow suit. It also violates the 4th Amendment

The article:

Privacy advocates scored a major victory in Boston this week when the city’s police department announced it would indefinitely suspend its use of automated license plate readers. The Boston Globe reports that the 14 devices currently in use let the BPD scan as many as four million vehicles a year, compiling the resulting date, time, and GPS coordinates into a massive database of private citizens’ movements around the city. Commissioner William Evans aims to review the policy surrounding license plate readers "so he knows that it’s being used effectively and that it doesn’t invade anyone’s privacy," said spokeswoman Cheryl Fiandaca.

The decision follows an inquiry by investigators at MuckRock that asked the BPD for its scan data in January, 2012. When the unredacted data was finally released in July, it revealed the precise GPS data and license plate numbers for over 40,000 different vehicles, prompting the department to freeze the program while it figures out how to proceed.

"You can’t help but wonder whether the real purpose is simply to collect droves of data."

What’s particularly embarrassing for Boston Police is how ineffective the scanners appear to be at producing actual arrests. The Globe reveals that the license plate with the highest number of scans was flagged for lapsed insurance over 90 times, while a stolen Harley Davidson was spotted 59 times between October 2012 and March 2013, nearly always at the same time of day. Said the ACLU’s Kade Crockford, "you can’t help but wonder whether the real purpose is simply to collect droves of data about where innocent people are driving, in case it might be useful for investigations later."
Da Mob Boss

Tully, NY

#2 Dec 15, 2013
dont comit da crime & you woint have to worry!
Strange Dude U r

Palmyra, NY

#3 Dec 15, 2013
U wana sniff my boxers? Im pretty immune to this considering where I have been, lmfao. U havent figured that out? Fear and worry are stuffed away. Non evident. Im hardenedm very much so can be like a rock... U wouldnt know what I mean of course. U wouldnt come out to well in a room for 30 days w me.. U r just a puppet, If u dont think so, lemme know. Something u have nvr seen. This is entertaining tho. GL

Im not kidding...
Strange Dude U r

Palmyra, NY

#4 Dec 15, 2013
oh ya, before I forget, I know yr a coward. I know yr type. u see unfortunelty I have to walk by yr type letting u think whatever. Make no mistake. I didnt survive by being soft.

U r a coward....

lets keep it on the DL, get it off yr chest... be real

or just be wat I know u r
Truth

Rome, NY

#5 Dec 16, 2013
Da Mob Boss wrote:
dont comit da crime & you woint have to worry!
translated: I don't know nothing about laws snd I have a big mouth. I'm just another sheeple hear me baaaa like a good sheeple
Truth

Rome, NY

#6 Dec 16, 2013
Strange Dude U r wrote:
U wana sniff my boxers? Im pretty immune to this considering where I have been, lmfao. U havent figured that out? Fear and worry are stuffed away. Non evident. Im hardenedm very much so can be like a rock... U wouldnt know what I mean of course. U wouldnt come out to well in a room for 30 days w me.. U r just a puppet, If u dont think so, lemme know. Something u have nvr seen. This is entertaining tho. GL
Im not kidding...
There is no translation for that but you are s 12year old or the mentality of one. Loser
Da Mob Boss

Tully, NY

#7 Dec 16, 2013
Strange Dude U r wrote:
Im not kidding...
U wana annusare i miei pugili? Im praticamente immune a questo considerando dove sono stato, lmfao. U che non hai capito? Paura e preoccupazione sono ripieni di distanza. Non evidente. Im hardenedm può essere molto così come una roccia... U non sai cosa voglio dire naturalmente. U non sarebbe venuto bene in una stanza per 30 giorni w me... Sei solo un fantoccio, se voi non la penso così, fammi sapere. Qualcosa che hai visto di nvr. Questo è divertente tho. GLIm non scherzando...now it translated you IDIOT!
Tellun it

Framingham, MA

#8 Dec 16, 2013
Strange Dude U r wrote:
oh ya, before I forget, I know yr a coward. I know yr type. u see unfortunelty I have to walk by yr type letting u think whatever. Make no mistake. I didnt survive by being soft.
U r a coward....
lets keep it on the DL, get it off yr chest... be real
or just be wat I know u r
You are soft and DUMB and your wife sxcks my bros cxck everyday! Baaahaaahaaa
You are unable to survive you so WEAK!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rome Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Gay Men In Rome? (May '12) 43 min Dummjerk 18
News Homeless man gets makeover from big-hearted cops 1 hr 16 TEEN SHOTS chi... 42
Chris 2 hr False 3
Rated R cny? 4 hr Wiger 3
Danielle Decristo 5 hr ABCDEFG 5
Michael Gondek, 40, of 6500 Pillmore Drive, Lee... 7 hr Billy 10
Floyd ave. 9 hr SSQ69 5

Rome Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Rome Mortgages