178 Anonymous Online Topix Posters Sued

178 Anonymous Online Topix Posters Sued

Posted in the Rome Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Legal Eye

AOL

#1 Feb 24, 2009
The authors of comments on the Topix.com Web site were secure in believing they were anonymous, however, a judge ruled their names should be revealed.

Mark and Rhonda Lesher lives in Northeast Texas; Mark practices law and Rhonda runs a beauty salon.

Last year, a woman and another, accused the couple of a sexual assault and then the anonymous comments about the incident started appearing on Topix.com .

Statements included that they were perverted, sick, vile and inhumane.

The couples' attorney, said that the comments were a form of persecution.

When the couple got their day in court, a jury found that the Leshers, along with their alleged accomplice were not guilty, but in the online Topix forum, it seemed, the trial continued.

The Leshers said it basically made them both feel like common criminals.

The Leshers said it made them feel as though someone had raped them of their reputation and standing in the community over and over and over again.

So, the Leshers sued 178 anonymous commenters on Topix.com and a Tarrant County judge ordered Topix to turn over identifying information about the users listed in the lawsuit.

Topix has until March 6 to comply with the ruling.

Topix Officials said that the Topix discussions are not necessarily a license to run people through the mud.

Topix said that if the line has been crossed and it seems reasonable, Topix will cooperate with the courts.

The lawsuit was brought in Tarrant County because it appears at least one anonymous poster lives there.

Just for the record, a few years ago a North Dakota professor was awarded $3 million over claims that a student Web site defamed him.
Legal Eye

AOL

#2 Feb 24, 2009
I got a feeling if some of these morons on the Rome Topix keep it up some people may be provoked to following the same course.....

I'm just saying....
Skeered Ricky Pope

Rome, GA

#3 Feb 24, 2009
Skeery Huh?

I doubt that Topix knows who the posters are. IP addresses mean nothing any more.
wake up call

Powder Springs, GA

#4 Feb 24, 2009
The key word being ANONYMOUS!! RNW stupidity never ceases to amaze. Jerry Duke sure has those idiot folks of his trained well doesn't he? Anybody that would register and post with their real name and/or use their personal e-mail address to register deserves to be sued.

Somebody can't read or chooses not to based on what they don't want to hear that further makes them look like the blithering idiots that they truly are. But that's to be expected from the illiterate RNW bunch. Below is a nice dose of reality for you ignorant RNW fools.
Trollicus wrote:
I guess the judge never heard of anonymous posting wireless hotspots and PROXY servers! Topix should give the court all the data, in one big 200 million page printout. When 20 or 30 fully loaded trucks unload the requested useless information at the courthouse maybe then the judge will get a clue.

The judge should repeal the laws of physics and order the Sun to pay class action damages for giving people skin cancer.
Obviously the Judge is functionally computer illiterate and should not be deciding cases involving technology he doesn't fully understand.

An IP address is NOT proof of anything.
Somebody needs to tell Judge Jerry about this so he'll have a clue. lol

http://www.topix.com/forum/law/criminal-defen...

Post #86
http://www.topix.com/forum/city/rome-ga/TQ22U...

Oh and here is the link to the original thread that one of your own created earlier. It seems like you would have gotten it the first time though.

http://www.topix.com/forum/city/rome-ga/TQ22U...

“Unions are still scum ”

Since: Dec 07

Atlanta

#5 Feb 24, 2009
Legal Eye wrote:
The lawsuit was brought in Tarrant County because it appears at least one anonymous poster lives there.
Just for the record, a few years ago a North Dakota professor was awarded $3 million over claims that a student Web site defamed him.
Thanks Jerry. Now I am really shaking. Please pay for an attorney and a PI(gasir) and let the lawsuits fly. I am sure an attorney would require 15,000-25,000 dollars to start. This is the last defense of a defeated boy.
Legal Eye

AOL

#6 Feb 24, 2009
Despite the fact that you THINK you are posting "anonymously", the government, the ISP, the internet board, as well as many crafty hackers have the ability to pinpoint the actual source of the information (if you don't really know how the internet works, let me fill you in that who is actually posting can easily be found out), and people are finding themselves more and more often responsible for things they "say" on the internet. People are being sued and arrested every day for their opinions and comments.

REMEMBER when you are posting, that everything written on the internet is recorded somewhere, on servers and computers and google cache, UNLIKE things you may drunkenly blurt out in a bar, everything here is recorded potentially for all of the future for anyone to read or see. And 5 years down the road, something you wrote in the past on the internet can come back to haunt you.

Also in the Texas case, Topix has now began monitoring the comments of the “anonymous posters” They have also began sending out warning notices to their registered users advising them that they need to keep their comments in check or face being banned.

You can play stupid all you want. If you continue to play with fire, you may get burnt. Some of you are hardly as smart as you think you are.

I’m just saying…..

“Unions are still scum ”

Since: Dec 07

Atlanta

#7 Feb 24, 2009
To say it once again. Do you think topix has the people names who post here? No. Hell if the NSA cannot find out who runs terroist web sites how is Dewey, Cheatem, and Howe esquires going to find topix posters?
Your a joke and obviously need glasses on your legal eye. But keep trying. To bad you do not ask Jerry to pat his taxes as much as you worry about topix posters. I hate tax cheats.
Legal Eye

AOL

#8 Feb 25, 2009
MSO4 wrote:
To say it once again. Do you think topix has the people names who post here? No. Hell if the NSA cannot find out who runs terroist web sites how is Dewey, Cheatem, and Howe esquires going to find topix posters?
Your a joke and obviously need glasses on your legal eye. But keep trying. To bad you do not ask Jerry to pat his taxes as much as you worry about topix posters. I hate tax cheats.
C’mon Slick, you know better than that. Topix can be forced to submit the IP’s that post anonymously. Then it is just a matter of tracing the IP’s and throwing a subpoena on the IP providers. Once the IP’s are traced they can and will be pointing pretty squarely at one person. It can even be brought to the point that everyone in your home is questioned.

Sure, there will one or two that post on wireless networks that can’t be traced, but a majority of people that post here aren’t that slick. They think if they sign up for an anonymous e-mail account or just post anonymously they are hidden. That is far from the truth. You are not even safe posting from proxy servers as they log IP’s using their proxies as required by Homeland Security.
What you folks have been doing on here is harassment and attempting to harm someone’s social and business standing. That is something you can and I am sure WILL eventually be sued for, remember it only takes a preponderance of evidence in a civil trial.

My recommendation would be just to let it go. There are several of you here that like to think that everyone here posting is your target. The fact is, your target has only posted here a couple of times and left. You are all playing against one another. You have all posted under various different names and played both sides of the fence just to keep the harassment going.
I would really watch that Texas case closely and see what happens. The results of that civil trial will greatly affect how Topix decides to continue going forward and will also set a precedent for future civil cases concerning this site.

I’m just saying…

“Unions are still scum ”

Since: Dec 07

Atlanta

#9 Feb 25, 2009
Legal Eye wrote:
<quoted text>
C’mon Slick, you know better than that. Topix can be forced to submit the IP’s that post anonymously. Then it is just a matter of tracing the IP’s and throwing a subpoena on the IP providers. Once the IP’s are traced they can and will be pointing pretty squarely at one person. It can even be brought to the point that everyone in your home is questioned.
Sure, there will one or two that post on wireless networks that can’t be traced, but a majority of people that post here aren’t that slick. They think if they sign up for an anonymous e-mail account or just post anonymously they are hidden. That is far from the truth. You are not even safe posting from proxy servers as they log IP’s using their proxies as required by Homeland Security.
What you folks have been doing on here is harassment and attempting to harm someone’s social and business standing. That is something you can and I am sure WILL eventually be sued for, remember it only takes a preponderance of evidence in a civil trial.
My recommendation would be just to let it go. There are several of you here that like to think that everyone here posting is your target. The fact is, your target has only posted here a couple of times and left. You are all playing against one another. You have all posted under various different names and played both sides of the fence just to keep the harassment going.
I would really watch that Texas case closely and see what happens. The results of that civil trial will greatly affect how Topix decides to continue going forward and will also set a precedent for future civil cases concerning this site.
I’m just saying…
Thanks for the lecture slick. But we both know it is far more difficult than you claim. Different states, countries, wireless, hell most libraries do not even require id now to use a computer. Then you have all that leg work for your attorney. 100's if not 1000's of hours charging 200 dollars an hour. lol it is so absurd it is funny. And then what are you going to sue for? You cannot get blood from a turnip slick. But have fun on your quest.
Jerry, it would be much easier just to pay your taxes.
Skeered Ricky Pope

Rome, GA

#10 Feb 26, 2009
We all pay our taxes. Just look us up.
no soliciting

Miami, FL

#11 Feb 26, 2009
Legal Eye aka Jerry Duke wrote:
if you don't really know how the internet works, let me fill you in that who is actually posting can easily be found out, and people are finding themselves more and more often responsible for things they "say" on the internet. People are being sued and arrested every day for their opinions and comments.
If we don't know I'm sure you, the RNW internet guru, will be the one to tell us infidels. But you should know since you invented the internet, right? As far as people being sued and arrested for their opinions and comments every day, it's not just for that sole reason dipshit. This is America not communist RNW.
interweb 101

Rome, GA

#12 Feb 26, 2009
Legal Eye wrote:
REMEMBER when you are posting, that everything written on the internet is recorded somewhere, on servers and computers and google cache, UNLIKE things you may drunkenly blurt out in a bar, everything here is recorded potentially for all of the future for anyone to read or see. And 5 years down the road, something you wrote in the past on the internet can come back to haunt you.
What woooould we do without the knowitall ego of Jerry Duke? Sounds like a perfect description of your trashwire site! You need to take some of your own advice there Jerry because YOU are just as liable for the slanderous comments you have made as well as what you have allowed your cult members to say about others you jerkoff.
oh yeah

Miami, FL

#13 Feb 26, 2009
Legal Eye aka Jerry Duke wrote:
You can play stupid all you want. If you continue to play with fire, you may get burnt. Some of you are hardly as smart as you think you are.
Ohh, I know it. Too bad we're all not as smart as you are Jerry, you pompous prick.
polk citizen

Marietta, GA

#14 Feb 27, 2009
and then Duke would have to disprove the statements made to show slander.

don't know but if he owes taxes that should be pretty simple to prove.

some of the other discussion has been about things he's posted himself; hard to dispute that, too.

If Duke thinks he has the resources to play such games, Elaine Anderson may get the guts to do the same

“Unions are still scum ”

Since: Dec 07

Atlanta

#15 Feb 27, 2009
Heres the thing, this fool "legal eye" claims to have been just some innocent bystander who happened upon these threads. Then out of the goodness of his heart, he tells us how we are facing legal action(for telling jerry to pay his damn taxes). He goes into great detail how he does not know what the problem between Jerry and the folks on topix.
Lo and behold here comes "legal eye" with threats now and how judgment is on the loose and how we have something "coming". I guess that innocent bystander crap did not last long huh Jerry? These simple minded people are so easy.
rome csi

Bogart, GA

#16 Feb 27, 2009
Legal Eye aka Jerry Duke wrote:
Once the IP’s are traced they can and will be pointing pretty squarely at one person. It can even be brought to the point that everyone in your home is questioned.
Yeah, the one that pays the bill. But does that make them the offending poster? Don't think so. The real poster will be long gone, the goose chase begins and you get egg on your face once again so have fun. The same scenerio goes for you too asswhole. You are 100% insane Jerry and the most paranoid and ignorant fool in Floyd County. On top of the ones that already don't, nobody else will ever trust you again in fear of being hunted like an animal if you don't fall in line with THE JERRY WAY! What a joke you truly are.
hide n seek

Miami, FL

#17 Feb 27, 2009
Legal Eye wrote:
They think if they sign up for an anonymous e-mail account or just post anonymously they are hidden. That is far from the truth. You are not even safe posting from proxy servers as they log IP’s using their proxies as required by Homeland Security.
Apparently you and your RNW gangsters aren't following your own advice because you all use proxy servers to "hide" your location. lol
boo hoo

Suwanee, GA

#18 Feb 27, 2009
Legal Eye definitely Three Rivers wrote:
What you folks have been doing on here is harassment and attempting to harm someone’s social and business standing. That is something you can and I am sure WILL eventually be sued for, remember it only takes a preponderance of evidence in a civil trial.
That's your opinion and your enitled to it just like we are ours prickster. You really do like to lecture don't ya? I believe the same consequences apply to you and your gang too Jerry and as for a preponderance of evidence, we got plenty of it!
go away

Miami, FL

#19 Feb 27, 2009
Legal Eye wrote:
My recommendation would be just to let it go. There are several of you here that like to think that everyone here posting is your target. The fact is, your target has only posted here a couple of times and left. You are all playing against one another. You have all posted under various different names and played both sides of the fence just to keep the harassment going.
Who put you in charge AND who are you to recommend anything to anybody else? Do you have a license to recommend? My recommendation to YOU is to mind your own business and STFU!

For someone who says they don't know Jerry Duke, you sure do know alot about Jerry Duke. lol
whos on second

Rome, GA

#20 Feb 27, 2009
Legal Eye the RNW Secret Service wrote:
There are several of you here that like to think that everyone here posting is your target. The fact is, your target has only posted here a couple of times and left. You are all playing against one another. You have all posted under various different names and played both sides of the fence just to keep the harassment going.
The target? What are you, the head of Jerry Duke's secret service team. LOL!! The everlasting knowitall has it all figured out with all these details doesn't he? Maybe YOU are the one that needs investigating Jerry. All of your posts will be great pieces of evidence in court that show your indepth knowledge of how everybody thinks along with all things JERRY DUKE. Thanks!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rome Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
I'm moving to Rome, GA 1 hr Need some info 4
News Rodeo clowna s quip about gender identity no la... 3 hr Rosia 2
Bronze statues Aug 24 Tammy 15
Undisclosed podcast. Aug 23 D Madden 1
TopLine Transmission/ Trans Tech Plus Aug 19 Too bad 4
News Feral cats a plague in some neighborhoods Aug 18 TNR Researcher 2
Leigh Patterson, District Attorney (Oct '13) Aug 16 shelby 12

Rome Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Rome Mortgages