BROWNIE THE DEPOT DOG and SEAGULLS AT SAM'S?

Posted in the Rome Forum

Local History

Atlanta, GA

#1 Dec 21, 2009
Two weird things about Rome I've found that are completely absent from Google search results:

Over near the Etowah River, there's the old train depot, near the RR Tracks at 8th and Maple. In there is this nice grave marker for "Brownie The Depot Dog." I can't remember who told me the story years ago but does anyone else remember the details?

Also, I've been around Rome for fifteen years now and I've always noticed seagulls in the Sam's parking lot! That's the first for me to see seaguls 300 miles inland. Anybody know what the deal is with that?
romegagirl

Rome, GA

#2 Dec 22, 2009
I live in Rome and have never heard the story of Brownie the Depot Dog. I'll have to make a point of visiting the old depot location to look for the grave marker.

I've seen the gulls many times around Walmart and Sam's. I've also seen them near the Tennessee Aquarium on the river in Chattanooga. I thought it odd the first time too and researched it to learn that, there are many types of gulls with the seagull being the most popular and well known. Many of these make their homes near river areas.

Since: Sep 09

Rome, GA

#3 Dec 23, 2009
Local History

Atlanta, GA

#5 Dec 28, 2009
Thanks for the link and the info on the gulls! I guess the Coosa winds along not far from Sam's. I don't know what it is, they seem to like that parking lot a whole bunch.

That was a great story about Brownie the dog. That is an amazing resource you've shown me. Thanks!
Local History

Atlanta, GA

#6 Dec 28, 2009
Also, Romegagirl, here's the best way to tell you how to get there:

if you cross the tracks on maple st heading into town, tracks behind you, turn left into the old depot lot, go about 40 feet and there's a tree on your right, the stone is right there.
romegagirl

Rome, GA

#7 Dec 30, 2009
Thanks for the info. I passed it along to my friend. She visited the dog's gravesite, took pics, and posted them to her message board.

She said they were doing some work there and a big truck was sitting right beside the little grave. Probably going to turn it into a parking lot.
Local History

Atlanta, GA

#9 Dec 30, 2009
I actually saw that equipment over there the day I posted this. This will be a good gauge of compassion. Surely, anyone who's been through that lot has seen the stone and would have some hesitation to put it in the trash and bulldoze ahead. I bet they build around it. I hope so!
romegagirl

Rome, GA

#10 Dec 30, 2009
I think I'm going to visit the city with a written request to preserve the dog's grave and tombstone. At the very least the tombstone should be removed and placed in one of the other animal cemetaries in Rome instead of being built over or paved over.
Benny Watt Terry

Rome, GA

#11 Jun 18, 2012
There are folks working to preserve this site. If you want to help e-mail me.

bwterry2575@aol.com
benny watt terry

Rome, GA

#12 Oct 5, 2012
romegagirl wrote:
I live in Rome and have never heard the story of Brownie the Depot Dog. I'll have to make a point of visiting the old depot location to look for the grave marker.
I've seen the gulls many times around Walmart and Sam's. I've also seen them near the Tennessee Aquarium on the river in Chattanooga. I thought it odd the first time too and researched it to learn that, there are many types of gulls with the seagull being the most popular and well known. Many of these make their homes near river areas.
We are in the process of landscaping Brownie's grave site. Preparations are now being made and we will soon let everyone know where we are with the project
benny watt terry

Rome, GA

#13 Oct 5, 2012
We are in the process of landscaping Brownie's grave site. Preparations are now being made and we will soon let everyone know where we are with the project

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rome Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
GA Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Georgia i... (Oct '10) 1 hr Chopper Read 55,636
Do we have a crooked SHERIFF? 1 hr John_Sm 14
child abuse Sep 18 Roy D 14
Chop Shop (few years back) (Nov '11) Sep 17 meme 10
GA Who do you support for Governor in Georgia in 2... (Oct '10) Sep 15 The WB 2,055
james moore (booter) or daddy west Sep 15 old yeller 2
the music thread (Jan '12) Sep 14 Musikologist 63
•••

Rome News Video

•••
•••

Rome Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Rome People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE