Senior Pictures
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Mom

Jefferson City, MO

#1 Jun 6, 2012
This post is for seniors or their parents. What is the need in Rolla for affordable senior pictures? I'm considering having a 1 or 2 day photo session in Rolla/St.James for families that can not afford the outrageous price packages. Parents must accompany their child and financially qualify (income of less than $40,000). The packages would cost $25 or less...depending on the income. These are high quality portraits.

Also, what is the need for affordable prom/special occassion dresses for the ladies? DAgain, this will be for families of an income of less than $40,000.

Please let me know your thoughts. Thank you!
awsome

Rolla, MO

#2 Jun 6, 2012
This is such an amazing idea! There are Soo many people out there who would like to provide this for their children. Im also a photographer and think this is just awesome!! I vote yes!!!
----

Haslet, TX

#3 Jun 6, 2012
Why limit income?

I make over $40k, but live very frugally.

Many families may want to purchase discounted senior pictures.
Miss B

Plattsburg, MO

#4 Jun 6, 2012
I think this is a great idea even though there is some other issues I could debate about. Do you have a portfolio that shows your high quality photos or are you just a mom with a camera not legally license as a business and not paying sales tax? Before setting out on this make sure you have your ducks in a row. Id hate to see your competitors who are a professional and who have bills to pay just like you and I, take you down and cause you trouble. If you are already licensed and a photographer then awesome.. Go for it!
Mountain Dew Drinker

Haslet, TX

#5 Jun 6, 2012
Miss B wrote:
I think this is a great idea even though there is some other issues I could debate about. Do you have a portfolio that shows your high quality photos or are you just a mom with a camera not legally license as a business and not paying sales tax? Before setting out on this make sure you have your ducks in a row. Id hate to see your competitors who are a professional and who have bills to pay just like you and I, take you down and cause you trouble. If you are already licensed and a photographer then awesome.. Go for it!
Brittany Davis you're a DUMB B, not MISS B!
Miss B

Plattsburg, MO

#6 Jun 6, 2012
Mountain Dew Drinker wrote:
<quoted text>Brittany Davis you're a DUMB B, not MISS B!
lmao!!! Aww did I step on your toes?! Go drink more dew! I think this a great idea-and I stand behind this program for those who deserve to feel special and deserve photographs also just like any senior! If you make over 40k don't tell me you can't dish out a little bit for your child. There is no such thing as a free meal. People around here do not have appreciation for art aka photographs. People can go out and buy a purse for 2k but bit** when they see the cost of photographs. Photographs last forever a purse doesn't. Being a photographer in this area is hard. The economy and attitudes here are horrible. I personally do not photograph seniors, but I think this program is great. Getting the support here is going to be hard bc you always have complainers!! My only advice is to be legit w a license and quality art. If you don't have that you will step on the pros toes who photograph seniors as well who PAY there dues every year and run a legit business. If your accepting money you have to have a license and sales tax license. If your doing it for free that is different.
Miss B

Plattsburg, MO

#7 Jun 6, 2012
Mom wrote:
This post is for seniors or their parents. What is the need in Rolla for affordable senior pictures? I'm considering having a 1 or 2 day photo session in Rolla/St.James for families that can not afford the outrageous price packages. Parents must accompany their child and financially qualify (income of less than $40,000). The packages would cost $25 or less...depending on the income. These are high quality portraits.
Also, what is the need for affordable prom/special occassion dresses for the ladies? DAgain, this will be for families of an income of less than $40,000.
Please let me know your thoughts. Thank you!
I have a prom dress to donate if you would like it. It is really pretty and I would love to donate it to a deserving lady. I also have another idea for you that I came up with two years ago. I had once the same idea as you, but I decided not to do Senior Portraits. If you can give me your email address I can give you some ideas (just ideas to think about).
Mountain Dew Drinker

Haslet, TX

#8 Jun 7, 2012
Miss B wrote:
<quoted text>lmao!!! Aww did I step on your toes?! Go drink more dew! I think this a great idea-and I stand behind this program for those who deserve to feel special and deserve photographs also just like any senior! If you make over 40k don't tell me you can't dish out a little bit for your child. There is no such thing as a free meal. People around here do not have appreciation for art aka photographs. People can go out and buy a purse for 2k but bit** when they see the cost of photographs. Photographs last forever a purse doesn't. Being a photographer in this area is hard. The economy and attitudes here are horrible. I personally do not photograph seniors, but I think this program is great. Getting the support here is going to be hard bc you always have complainers!! My only advice is to be legit w a license and quality art. If you don't have that you will step on the pros toes who photograph seniors as well who PAY there dues every year and run a legit business. If your accepting money you have to have a license and sales tax license. If your doing it for free that is different.
Step on my toes? No, I'm not a photographer or anything of the nature. I just think your stupidity is overwhelming and annoying as hell. You're just one of those people everyone wants to punch as soon as they walk into the room.
Miss B

Plattsburg, MO

#9 Jun 7, 2012
Mountain Dew Drinker wrote:
<quoted text>
Step on my toes? No, I'm not a photographer or anything of the nature. I just think your stupidity is overwhelming and annoying as hell. You're just one of those people everyone wants to punch as soon as they walk into the room.
It's pretty pathetic that someone of your nature has to ruin a good post! Your stupidity goes above and beyond any-ones on here. I completely understand people like you who do not like to hear the truth-it's not always nice to hear. I apologize for upsetting you so much. This topic is NOT about me. So please don't make it that way. It is for doing a good cause for deserving people. Do you have a child or know of one who is going to be a senior? Are you the one who also posted about wanting cheap photos too even though making 40k a year? You stated your not a photographer-I already knew that by your comments. If you were, you would know the time and hard work that goes into it. Photographers have to make a living just like anyone else. I could break it down for you the cost and time that goes into just ONE session. However it wouldn't do any good to explain that to you or to anyone who does NOT have an understanding and who just wants a free ticket. Someone will always complain. Photography is a luxury and not for everyone. The fact that someone wants to take the time out to put this together and basically make NO profit is beyond an awesome person and who wants to do something for the greater good. What is it that you do again? I have stated to help this person by donating an item and also giving them my business plan that I did two years ago to do the SAME thing that this person is trying to do. I'm willing to help and not take credit in anyway. I'm a citizen who wants to see someone do this, I'm a citizen who wants to see something good happen. Yet I am the person who people want to punch when I walk into a room. Wow I can see the type of citizen you are. A complainer not a doer! Have a great day. Oh and it's Miss Davis!
mom

Jefferson City, MO

#10 Jun 7, 2012
Thank you all for your responses. Yes, I do have a licensed business in which I pay quarterly taxes. I have portfolios of my work.

The reason I indicate the income level is simple. I grew up in a rather low income household. My siblings were all just about 2 years apart. Senior pictures were a luxury and unfortunately my parents struggled financially to accomadate us kids having them.

The other reason for the income, is to make sure my program is not taken advantage of. Since I am the owner of my company, I can decide what I want to accept as payment and in certain circumstances, I can elect if I want to provide the service for no fee at all.

Miss B.: I sincerely appreciate your offer of the dress. Thank you. Currently, I can purchase bulk clothing pallets (name brand and some are not name brand) for an extremely decent price. This works out very well for me personally and for my family. This is the majority of how I shop for us personally. What I don't use/want I either give away to other family members or donate to a thrift store.

Again, I thank you all for your comments.
I did get a giggle out of the comment "Are you just a mom with a camera?" Yes, I am a mom with a camera...but I'm not just a mom with a camera. No hard feelings...that put a smile on my face today.:o) Thank you again!
mom

Jefferson City, MO

#11 Jun 7, 2012
---- wrote:
Why limit income?
I make over $40k, but live very frugally.
Many families may want to purchase discounted senior pictures.
It's nothing personal, but I know how my parents struggled when I was young. I cap it at that income level as this is a service I provide out of my heart for the beauty of pictures. It is not a financial gain for me. If there were no cap, I'd be taking pictures all day and competing with local photographers. It's not about competition, it's about passion and doing something good.
mom

Jefferson City, MO

#12 Jun 7, 2012
Miss B wrote:
<quoted text>
I have a prom dress to donate if you would like it. It is really pretty and I would love to donate it to a deserving lady. I also have another idea for you that I came up with two years ago. I had once the same idea as you, but I decided not to do Senior Portraits. If you can give me your email address I can give you some ideas (just ideas to think about).
Thank you. My email is [email protected]
Miss B

Plattsburg, MO

#13 Jun 7, 2012
When I say "Just a Mom with a Camera", being you are a running a legal business, I'm sure you know what that means in our industry. It is hard working in the industry when you have a handful of ladies deciding one day they are going to be a photographer, charging way below what art is worth and taking work away from those who have done it for years, put alot of money and education into it. You sound to be on a great track. I have boxes full of brand new right off the line clothing from several major clothing companies in which donated the items when I wrote letters to them explaining what my goal was for my community. With the right goals and right wording, you won't have to pay anything but just your time (which is going to be alot). Hopefully this will take off for you and you will get a good response and possibly photographers from this area who can chime in and help-this would be a great program to do year after year. This is a very low income area and many deserving students are at hand. Do you have a website and/or Facebook page? I love supporting my area photogs (I probably am already one of your fans)
reader

Cameron, MO

#14 Jun 8, 2012
Sarah Firebaugh-Remember This Photography. She does great and the prices are good.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#15 Jun 8, 2012
mom wrote:
<quoted text>
It's nothing personal, but I know how my parents struggled when I was young. I cap it at that income level as this is a service I provide out of my heart for the beauty of pictures. It is not a financial gain for me. If there were no cap, I'd be taking pictures all day and competing with local photographers. It's not about competition, it's about passion and doing something good.
Mom,

Be careful. There are court precedents against what you are trying to do. A court case, I think in California, was settled within the last month involving a photographer who chose not to accept a job after he found out the couple were same sex. He is a Christian and disagreed with working with this couple for that reason. The court sided with the "slighted" couple and the photog lost. Take the time to run this by your attorney and remember; In America, today, no good deed goes unpunished by your government. Keep up the good work.

Plattsburg, MO

#16 Jun 8, 2012
poopnostink wrote:
<quoted text>Mom,

Be careful. There are court precedents against what you are trying to do. A court case, I think in California, was settled within the last month involving a photographer who chose not to accept a job after he found out the couple were same sex. He is a Christian and disagreed with working with this couple for that reason. The court sided with the "slighted" couple and the photog lost. Take the time to run this by your attorney and remember; In America, today, no good deed goes unpunished by your government. Keep up the good work.
That is called discrimination. Helping low income families is not. If that is the case then the government would be in trouble for helping low income families as well. "Mom" isn't going to be in any kind of trouble. Not photographing a same sex couple is by far discrimination just like not servicing a black person.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#17 Jun 8, 2012
[QUOTE who="....."]<quot ed text>
That is called discrimination. Helping low income families is not. If that is the case then the government would be in trouble for helping low income families as well. "Mom" isn't going to be in any kind of trouble. Not photographing a same sex couple is by far discrimination just like not servicing a black person.[/QUOTE]

I am not engaging in a legal debate over this because I am not a lawyer and after reading your post I am sure you are not as well. In a nutshell, the court reasoned that if you hold yourself out to the public as a service provider or merchant or manufacturer you cannot then deny anyone the opportunity to purchase your goods or services. So, if it was me I would certainly call my attorney and look into it. As for your example of the government doing it, well redistribution of wealth is seen as one of the governments many misguided functions and they are not held to same standards as those engaged in commerce.
My intent here is to simply pass along a bit of information to someone who is trying to do something nice. You see, I was one of those kids she is trying to help. By the time I was halfway through my junior year my parents had divorced and my father just ignored the court order for child support. I went to work and bought not only my pictures, graduation announcements, clothes gas, and help some with the food. My mom had no real skills as she had been a housewife and she was working 70-80 hours a week at a number of jobs just to keep our house.
Miss B

Plattsburg, MO

#18 Jun 9, 2012
poopnostink wrote:
That is called discrimination. Helping low income families is not. If that is the case then the government would be in trouble for helping low income families as well. "Mom" isn't going to be in any kind of trouble. Not photographing a same sex couple is by far discrimination just like not servicing a black person. "

I am not engaging in a legal debate over this because I am not a lawyer and after reading your post I am sure you are not as well. In a nutshell, the court reasoned that if you hold yourself out to the public as a service provider or merchant or manufacturer you cannot then deny anyone the opportunity to purchase your goods or services. So, if it was me I would certainly call my attorney and look into it. As for your example of the government doing it, well redistribution of wealth is seen as one of the governments many misguided functions and they are not held to same standards as those engaged in commerce.
My intent here is to simply pass along a bit of information to someone who is trying to do something nice. You see, I was one of those kids she is trying to help. By the time I was halfway through my junior year my parents had divorced and my father just ignored the court order for child support. I went to work and bought not only my pictures, graduation announcements, clothes gas, and help some with the food. My mom had no real skills as she had been a housewife and she was working 70-80 hours a week at a number of jobs just to keep our house.
Your right I am not a lawyer, however I talked with my lawyer two years ago about this type of project and also established a non profit program for it. She shouldn't have any issue with this program. I am all for it also because my family struggled as I was in High School also and did NOT get photographs or even a yearbook (I have one now because of my awesome sister). Yes she is going to have complainers, you can't please everyone. But I wish those the best of luck whom want to cause any problems with it. She has laws to protect her as well and she'll also have more supporters than haters. Rolla always complains about how no body does anything good and then when they do, they still complain.
Miss B

Plattsburg, MO

#19 Jun 9, 2012
poopnostink wrote:
That is called discrimination. Helping low income families is not. If that is the case then the government would be in trouble for helping low income families as well. "Mom" isn't going to be in any kind of trouble. Not photographing a same sex couple is by far discrimination just like not servicing a black person. "

Also she isn't denying anyone to purchase her goods or services.
Mom

Jefferson City, MO

#20 Jun 9, 2012
poopnostink wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you for the advice, I do truly appreciate it. I fully understand what you and Miss B. are saying. True, no good deed goes unpunished. Expecting the unexpected is a very real thing in this "sue happy" world. People complain and people sue. I do have an attorney and accountant that work with me on my endeavors. Thanks to them, my "i's are dotted and t's are crossed."

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rolla Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Kendra wilson kyle light (Jan '16) 48 min agree 46
Chieara Graham (May '14) 1 hr wow 10
Jordan motors are Ripoffs (Nov '14) 5 hr Dee arnold 23
jesse ryce (Jan '12) 6 hr ?????? 70
Drugs 6 hr Will Smith 2
Jeremy Batcher sk8 7 hr rat em all 8
long johs silver 8 hr donna 1

Rolla Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance