St. James Horse Auction

St. James Horse Auction

Posted in the Rolla Forum

Horsewoman

Sullivan, MO

#1 Aug 2, 2009
I went to the St. James horse auction last night and I was appalled at the lack of ethics of
the auctioneer in that sale barn. During the tack auction, the auctioneer babbled and babbled
running up items that had not been bid on at all. Then he'd reach a point and offer to pass
the items out at that price and no one wanted one, because no one had bid at all. There
was no high bidder! It was so darn obvious that he was nothing but a liar. I lost count of how
many times he did that. Why put on the show of running crap up? Just put a price on it and
offer to sell it for that. Because that crap is not an auction, in an auction the highest bidder
gets the item, but when there are no bids, you are blatantly lying to run the price up. Does
he honestly think that the public is stupid enough to believe his garbage?
As for the horse sale, that was a travesty too. Horses are bringing nothing, partly because
no one can afford to feed them in this economy, but partly because auctions like this one have
made it so that no one has to pay for a horse to get it.
People think that antislaughter legislation protected the horses, but it didn't. If anything it
made it worse, because antislaughter only covers HUMAN consumption. But because people
are gullible enough to believe that horses don't go to slaughter anymore, there is no longer
a by the lb. price. So the killers are getting the horses for next to nothing. They are making a
killing on dog food. Your dog food sure hasn't come down in price, has it? I am amazed
at the stupidity of people.
I did notice that most of the real horse people were gone from the sale that used to be there.
It looked like alot of the crowd were new horse owners, looking for a good deal. I hope they
have the knowledge and ability to care for the animals they buy.
One other thing. I grew up out west and the horse sales were run differently. They started the
horses in the morning, before the tack sale, and they did better on both things. Because once
someone had bought a horse, they'd hang around to buy items they needed at the tack sale
and people who sold horses knew how much money they had from the sales of the horses
to spend on tack and such. The way this is being run is going to run it out of business, and
it's headed there. I can see that just from how it's ran down hill since I was there a year ago.
Horses brought more too, because people were fresh and ready to spend when they got there
in the morning.
You can't run a horse auction this stupidly, and expect it to last. Real horsemen are starting
to boycott that horse sale, and I'm one of them. I won't be going back there. I wanted to jump
up during the tack auction and tell the auctioneer that he was a lying, unethical piece of work,
and I'm sure others saw what I did. I saw a whole group of people get up and walk out because
they were so disgusted with the whole thing. Like a dozen or more people. I was planning on
taking a few good horses to the sale in two weeks, but now I won't be. I'll trailer them out of
state. I saw a top yearling go for $300, and a young thin colt, but registered, go for $7. Why
would I sell my horses there? I won't even be there to buy tack anymore, because I'm not going
to pay for something that was lied about. Hell, the last halter I got there broke the first time I
used it. A horse pulled against it, on the end of a rope that I was holding (I weight 120 lbs) and
the halter ring broke in half. It wasn't like he was tied to a tree or something, his only resistance
was skinny little me.
St. James Horse auction is a big joke.
Rio

Republic, MO

#2 Jun 30, 2012
I agree on the fact that THEY RUN THEIR PRICES UP. Ive been attending that sale for 5 years now and they have "a crew" that they use to get their prices up and the general public doesnt even know whats happening to them. They point up into the crowd when they have a bidder on and they hook'em into thinking that they have other bidders when they dont. It's a sham of an operation to just sit there and watch people getting scammed out of their hard earned money. You know the saddest thing about this whole thing is that when you pull into the parking lot you read a sign that says "COWBOY CHURCH on Sunday" Dont worry, we all got to answer to somebody one day and they do too.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rolla Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
school supplies 1 hr Showoff Finder 21
krystal hoffman 6 hr hater 1
aslhy reed 6 hr helper 1
Chris Smith 10 hr Dot 3
violent people in phelps county jail 23 hr Seriously 4
Easy lays in rolla Sat K-9AZ 9
kristine bunton davis Sat trevor 8

Rolla Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance