“I'm right”

Since: Oct 12

Rolla, MO

#1 Feb 11, 2013
For 2012:
Post office -$15.9 billion loss
FedEx -$3.1 billion gain
UPS -$5.8 billion gain

Government fails every time it is tried. When you trust the government, you pick up the losses. When you trust a private company, investors reap the rewards. When a private company fails, creditors pick up the bill. When the government succeeds, well, it hasn't happened yet...
basic truth

Rolla, MO

#2 Feb 11, 2013
If the Post Office were allowed to establish its own rates and delivery schedule there wouldn't be this red ink.
duh

Rolla, MO

#3 Feb 11, 2013
What did you expect? This is the government we're talking about. In the 60s these guys took over a prosperous and profitable whorehouse in Nevada and it went bankrupt a year later. If the gov't can't make money selling whores and liquor, why should we trust them with our tax money?

“I'm right”

Rolla, MO

#4 Feb 11, 2013
basic truth wrote:
If the Post Office were allowed to establish its own rates and delivery schedule there wouldn't be this red ink.
That may or may not be true. But the reality is what it is. If you put a business under government control, government will meddle and screw it up.

“I'm right”

Rolla, MO

#5 Feb 11, 2013
duh wrote:
What did you expect? This is the government we're talking about. In the 60s these guys took over a prosperous and profitable whorehouse in Nevada and it went bankrupt a year later. If the gov't can't make money selling whores and liquor, why should we trust them with our tax money?
Lol. I remember that story. The memory brought a smile to my face.
common since

Rolla, MO

#6 Feb 11, 2013
killa_the_compassionate wrote:
<quoted text>
That may or may not be true. But the reality is what it is. If you put a business under government control, government will meddle and screw it up.
I'm sure your teabagger buddies have it all figured out in your tiny little pea brains.

“I'm right”

Rolla, MO

#7 Feb 11, 2013
common since wrote:
<quoted text>I'm sure your teabagger buddies have it all figured out in your tiny little pea brains.
Do you ever feel stupid after posting? Or do you not even realize?
common since

Rolla, MO

#8 Feb 11, 2013
<quoted text>
That's a good line. I'm gonna use it on you and bloodfart now.
Going Postal

Rolla, MO

#9 Feb 11, 2013
Republicans have been pushing schemes to privatize the Postal Service since at least 1996. In 2006 Republicans in the Congress pushed through a requirement that the Postal Service pre-fund 75 years of retiree costs. The Postal Service has to pay now for employees who are not even born yet. No other government agency – and certainly no company – has to do this.
Going Postal

Rolla, MO

#10 Feb 11, 2013
While required to break even the Postal Service has to deliver mail to areas that are unprofitable for private companies to operate in. A letter sent from a small town in Alaska is picked up and transported across the country to a farm in Maine for 46 cents. While the Internet and recession have eaten into some of the Postal Services letter business, magazines, books, newsletters, prescriptions, advertising, DVD services like Netflix and many other services still depend on the Postal Service for delivery.
Going Postal

Rolla, MO

#11 Feb 11, 2013
But along with requiring the Postal Service to break even, Congress has restricted the Service’s ability to raise rates, enter new lines of business or take other steps to help it raise revenue. In fact, while detractors complain that the Postal Service is antiquated, inefficient and burdened by bureaucracy, the rules blocking the Postal Service from entering new lines of business do so because the Postal Service would have advantages over private companies.For example, Republicans in Congress forced the Postal Service to remove public-use copiers from Post Offices and even blocked the Postal Service from setting up a secure online system that allowed Americans to make monthly bill payments.
Going Postal

Rolla, MO

#12 Feb 11, 2013
The Koch brothers’ Cato Institute has been pushing to privatize the Postal Service (and the rest of government) for many years.(Note: Frederick W. Smith, Chairman & CEO, FedEx Corporation was on the Board of Directors of Cato Institute. FedEx is also a funder of the Cato Institute.) In 1996, for example, Cato’s Edward L. Hudgins testified before Congress on Postal Service privatization.
Today Cato employees write about “freeing the mail from the government’s grip” and ” getting the government out of the mail business.”(from Cato’s “Stamp Out the Postal Service.”)
Going Postal

Rolla, MO

#13 Feb 11, 2013
The austerity agenda that would cut services for working Americans in order to maintain tax breaks for the wealthy—and promote the privatization of public services—has many faces.
Most Americans recognize the threats to Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid as pieces of the austerity plan advanced by House Budget Committee chairman Paul Ryan (R-WI), and the rest of the Ayn Rand–reading wrecking crew that has taken over the Republican Party. But it is important to recognize that the austerity agenda extends in every direction: from threats to Food Stamps and Pell Grants, to education cuts, to the squeezing of transportation funding.
But the current frontline of the austerity agenda is the assault on the US Postal Service, a vital public service that is older than the country. And it is advancing rapidly.
Going Postal

Rolla, MO

#14 Feb 11, 2013
Congress won't allow the Postal Service to win. About a decade ago, the Postal Service had an extremely effective ad campaign highlighting the fact that its express mail service was just a fraction of the price charged for overnight delivery by UPS and FedEx.
The two companies actually went to court to try to stop the ad campaign. When the court told them to get lost, they went to Congress. Their friends in Congress then leaned on the Postal Service and got it to end the ads.
Going Postal

Rolla, MO

#15 Feb 11, 2013
There is a crisis, but it is not because the Postal Service is inefficient and its workers overpaid. It is because the Postal Service:
1. Receives no taxpayer dollars
2. Is funded by the products and services it sells
3. Working with its unions, has already reduced its workforce by 110,000 employees, improved efficiency, and introduced new products and services
4. Handles more than 40 percent of the world’s mail more efficiently and at lower cost than other services
5. Despite the growth of the digital world, continues to support a $1 trillion mailing industry with more than 8 million jobs
6. Has a workforce that is made up of 40 percent women, 40 percent minorities, and 22 percent veterans, many disabled
There is a crisis, but it is not because the Postal Service is inefficient and its workers overpaid. It is because the Postal Service:
7. Is the only federal agency or private company required to pre-fund retiree health benefits for 75 years
8. Is therefore required to pay $5.5 billion annually to the Treasury, an amount not required of any other agency or company
Without these unique requirements, it would have earned a surplus of over $600 million during the last four years. In addition, the USPS:
9. Has over-paid its obligations to the Civil Service Retirement System (CSRS) by an estimated $50 billion (and this money should be returned)
10. Has overfunded the Federal Employees Retirement System (FERS) by approximately $6.9 billion (and would be profitable if these funds were returned)
common since

Rolla, MO

#16 Feb 11, 2013
<quoted text>

I kinda like it...

“I'm right”

Rolla, MO

#17 Feb 11, 2013
common since wrote:
<quoted text>That's a good line. I'm gonna use it on you and bloodfart now.
Thanks. I'd expect nothing less. Without me, you'd be mute.

“I'm right”

Rolla, MO

#18 Feb 11, 2013
Going Postal wrote:
Republicans have been pushing schemes to privatize the Postal Service since at least 1996. In 2006 Republicans in the Congress pushed through a requirement that the Postal Service pre-fund 75 years of retiree costs. The Postal Service has to pay now for employees who are not even born yet. No other government agency – and certainly no company – has to do this.
Prove it. I'll give you a hint... They passed laws to make them follow accounting rules that every other private business must follow. The Post Office just simply accounts like a private business now. Not a government agency that leaves future obligations off of the balance sheet.
mnm

Rolla, MO

#19 Feb 11, 2013
<quoted text>
Thanks. I'd expect nothing less. Without me, you'd be mute.
no substance

“I'm right”

Rolla, MO

#20 Feb 11, 2013
Going Postal wrote:
While required to break even the Postal Service has to deliver mail to areas that are unprofitable for private companies to operate in. A letter sent from a small town in Alaska is picked up and transported across the country to a farm in Maine for 46 cents. While the Internet and recession have eaten into some of the Postal Services letter business, magazines, books, newsletters, prescriptions, advertising, DVD services like Netflix and many other services still depend on the Postal Service for delivery.
They aren't doing it for 46 cents. It is done for 46 cents plus billions in debt that taxpayers and their grandchildren get to repay.

Did UPS and FedEx cry and whine about the Internet and Recession when they pocketed billions?

We all rely on the Post Office. They have a monopoly. We have no choice.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rolla Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Tyler Kreamalmyer? (Feb '12) 1 hr Joe-blow 14
Where's a good place to go camping 1 hr O Fan 2
Trump et al 1 hr O Fan 24
Shane Brazzle 2 hr unbelievable 16
give up 4 hr unbelievable 3
Fat people should be eaten 7 hr Curious 13
Mr Ed might be Rolla's famous missing man Tim ... 11 hr unbelievable 16
Walmart Distribution Center good place to work? (Jun '12) Jul 17 Jen 511

Rolla Jobs

More from around the web