|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 10, 2012

killa wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe I'm having trouble reading it. Where does it say 'government can't get involved in religious matters'?
The Establishment Clause.
killa

Rolla, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 10, 2012

The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>The Establishment Clause.
You've just been cornered. The intelligent in our society learn from their mistakes and get even smarter. The dumb, don't. Which are you?

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 10, 2012

killa wrote:
<quoted text>
You've just been cornered. The intelligent in our society learn from their mistakes and get even smarter. The dumb, don't. Which are you?
You haven't pointed out any mistakes.
killa

Rolla, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 10, 2012

The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>You haven't pointed out any mistakes.
Your mistake is believing Amendment 1 contains the language 'government can't get involved in religious matters'.
how it really is

Wakarusa, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 10, 2012

Actually, religion can't interfere with government. Government can and should interfere with religion if people are in danger.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 10, 2012

killa wrote:
<quoted text>
Your mistake is believing Amendment 1 contains the language 'government can't get involved in religious matters'.
That's precisely what the Establishment Clause does. I never said it contained the exact wording:'government can't get involved in religious matters'
LOL

Warrensburg, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 10, 2012

The problem is that the Repugs worship money.
killa

Rolla, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 10, 2012

The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>That's precisely what the Establishment Clause does. I never said it contained the exact wording:'government can't get involved in religious matters'
If it doesn't contain it, then it doesn't exist. Otherwise, I have a blank piece of paper that says you owe me your life's savings.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 10, 2012

killa wrote:
<quoted text>
If it doesn't contain it, then it doesn't exist. Otherwise, I have a blank piece of paper that says you owe me your life's savings.
Does the First Amendment protect "freedom of religion"? Nope, that phrase never appears! If it doesn't contain it, then it doesn't exist.
killa

Vienna, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 10, 2012

The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>Does the First Amendment protect "freedom of religion"? Nope, that phrase never appears! If it doesn't contain it, then it doesn't exist.
I didn't say it did.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 10, 2012

killa wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't say it did.
So you don't think the 1A protects freedom of religion?
killa

Vienna, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 10, 2012

The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>So you don't think the 1A protects freedom of religion?
It is the end result. But it doesn't specifically say that. It only says congress shall pass no laws abridging it.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 10, 2012

killa wrote:
<quoted text>
It is the end result. But it doesn't specifically say that.
So you agree that something doesn't require a specific phrase to be true.
killa wrote:
It only says congress shall pass no laws abridging it.
Yes, and the government's powers come from the Constitution or laws that Congress passes. Are there things the government can do that are based outside of that?
Duh

Rolla, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 10, 2012

No where in the Consititution does it say "Freedom of Religion." "Freedom of Religion" is a term we as citizens have coined; a shorter version of both the Establishment AND Free Exercise Clause. What is does say in part is, "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof;" No where else does it mention anything else even remotely related. With this in mind...If I'm standing near the podium at a High School Football Game, I could pick up the microphone and say a prayer. In today's society people think they should sue the High School because their "rights" were violated. I can't understand how the courts allow this because the High School is not "Congress." The definition of Congress is well defined in the Constitution and doesn't include anything remotely connected with "Schools." So should the "High School" be required to physically take the microphone away? Wouldn't that be "prohibiting the FREE exercise?" Too many people confuse their liberties with their rights and there is a distinct difference.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 10, 2012

Duh wrote:
I can't understand how the courts allow this because the High School is not "Congress."
The 14th Amendment incorporated the 1st Amendment to the states.
Duh wrote:
So should the "High School" be required to physically take the microphone away? Wouldn't that be "prohibiting the FREE exercise?"
How does freedom of religion or speech entitle you to use of a school's PA system?

Do you really think a student can walk into the office, grab the mic, and start talking about whatever he wants under the basis of free speech?
killa

Vienna, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 10, 2012

The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>So you agree that something doesn't require a specific phrase to be true.

killa wrote, "
It only says congress shall pass no laws abridging it."

Yes, and the government's powers come from the Constitution or laws that Congress passes. Are there things the government can do that are based outside of that?
You have a cause and effect. The cause is the Constitution's first Amendment. The effect is protection of freedom of religion. You are then taking that effect and backing it out to create a broader cause.

Government is constrained by the Constitution. Deliberately. They may not step outside those bounds or there would be no point in a Constitution.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 10, 2012

killa wrote:
<quoted text>
You have a cause and effect. The cause is the Constitution's first Amendment. The effect is protection of freedom of religion. You are then taking that effect and backing it out to create a broader cause.
No, I'm not. I'm not making it any broader than what it says and its intent.
killa

Vienna, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 10, 2012

The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>No, I'm not. I'm not making it any broader than what it says and its intent.
Well that was convincing.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 10, 2012

killa wrote:
<quoted text>
Well that was convincing.
No less convincing than your vague and unsubstantiated claim that I'm wrong.
um no

Rolla, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 10, 2012

killa wrote:
The Declaration of Independence has four references to God.
The First Amendment was simply meant to prevent a new Church of England. It was never meant to remove religion as virtually all our founders were religious. The vast majority of them were even Christian. So it was hardly to remove Christianity. They simply wanted the government to leave them alone to practice their religion in piece. The Constitution is what protects us, as citizens, from our government. Those who now attempt to remove religion from our lives using the first amendment are grossly perverting the original intent.
PEACE. Check again, the founding fathers of this nation loathed the idea of religion. Watch a documentary, or read a book. Religulous is a good one.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 41 - 60 of160
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

41 Users are viewing the Rolla Forum right now

Search the Rolla Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
life 11 min !? 1
little danny gresham 17 min shirley 13
easter egg drop from Helicopter (Apr '12) 31 min Vito 48
extreme accessories 48 min pagie 18
Chiropractors Any Recommend 1 hr wow 10
Rolla kmart closing 6-29-2014 1 hr need more beer 10
Some use discrimination 4 personal gain 4 hr OMG 3
•••
•••