Self Defense - Yay or Nay?

Posted in the Rolla Forum

First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Since: Feb 13

Rolla, MO

#1 Feb 17, 2013
I have another thread here dealing with open carry of firearms and I've been getting a lot of talk about whether or not people should be allowed to carry at all or to defend themselves. I'd like to know, what are your thoughts on this issue? And please, no bashing or insulting remarks here. Let's keep this civil.
barrista

Rolla, MO

#2 Feb 17, 2013
Concealed carry is AOK by me.

People should be discreet about carrying a weapon and not advertise it. You can easily conceal a 9.
qixlix

Pittsburgh, PA

#3 Feb 17, 2013
http://youtube.com/watch... Rock or a Hard Place?

Rolla, MO

#4 Feb 18, 2013
barrista wrote:
Concealed carry is AOK by me.
People should be discreet about carrying a weapon and not advertise it. You can easily conceal a 9.
I can agree to a degree, but there is something to be said for open carry and advertising that there is someone is armed and that a violent act will be met with an armed response instead of a usless police call. But there is a lot to be said for concealed as well and I would like to get a CCW myself.
On a side note, not much of a 9mm fan. I like a .45 or a .357/.38 myself, but that's just me.
LOL

Windsor, MO

#5 Feb 18, 2013
MoKidd22 wrote:
<quoted text>
I can agree to a degree, but there is something to be said for open carry and advertising that there is someone is armed and that a violent act will be met with an armed response instead of a usless police call. But there is a lot to be said for concealed as well and I would like to get a CCW myself.
On a side note, not much of a 9mm fan. I like a .45 or a .357/.38 myself, but that's just me.
Or you could stay home with mommy till you are not afraid!

Rolla, MO

#6 Feb 18, 2013
LOL wrote:
<quoted text>
Or you could stay home with mommy till you are not afraid!
Or you could pop your momma's tit out of your mouth and stop being a good little victim. But that's entirely up to you.
LOL

Windsor, MO

#7 Feb 18, 2013
MoKidd22 wrote:
<quoted text>
Or you could pop your momma's tit out of your mouth and stop being a good little victim. But that's entirely up to you.
I am not scared to go to Wall-Mart unarmed. I hate wusses who think a gun makes them tough.

Rolla, MO

#8 Feb 18, 2013
LOL wrote:
<quoted text>
I am not scared to go to Wall-Mart unarmed. I hate wusses who think a gun makes them tough.
And I hate people that think subservience is better than personal courage. I don't carry because I'm afraid. I carry because I know that I have a right to do so and because I know that the day may come when it is needed. Think what you want of me, I don't care.
LOL

Windsor, MO

#9 Feb 18, 2013
MoKidd22 wrote:
<quoted text>
And I hate people that think subservience is better than personal courage. I don't carry because I'm afraid. I carry because I know that I have a right to do so and because I know that the day may come when it is needed. Think what you want of me, I don't care.
You are afraid!!! Worrying about needing a gun is being afraid!
You have a much greater chance of shooting yourself than ever needing a gun to defend your self!!!

If your are not afraid, then why would you carry a gun? You can fool yourself not me.
LOL

Windsor, MO

#10 Feb 18, 2013
MoKidd22 wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh by the way,spent some time in the gym fat a***. Subservience, HA HA !! Physical fitness is much better than a gun!!!

Rolla, MO

#11 Feb 18, 2013
Again, think what you want.
LOL

Windsor, MO

#12 Feb 18, 2013
MoKidd22 wrote:
Again, think what you want.
I think what I see.
MOGunny

Clinton, MO

#13 Feb 18, 2013
LOL wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh by the way,spent some time in the gym fat a***. Subservience, HA HA !! Physical fitness is much better than a gun!!!
Up until you come up against that one person that has you cornered with no where to go, and is in possession of a weapon(knife, gun, club) wishing to do you harm. You will then wish you had the gun.
According to a national study conducted in 2010 by the Uniform Crime Reporting (UCR) Program, a violent crime is committed in the United States approximately every 30 seconds. That's nearly 1.3 million violent crimes each year! The Journal of Criminal Law and Criminology estimates firearms are used every 13 seconds to prevent a crime. That's an additional 2.5 million crimes each year that are prevented by law-abiding gun owners who refuse to be victimized by criminals.
Now I do not advocate anyone living their life in fear and becoming a hermit as you would probably have them do. But I do suggest that everyone realize the potential to be a victim is there and act accordingly with whatever level of personal protection training BEST suits them. If you feel it is staying in shape, so be it, your choice not mine. I personally think that mentality is lacking. I have never seen anyone outrun a bullet. Have you ever heard the old addage "you don't bring a knife to a gun fight"?
Of coarse I am not John Rambo, or Jason Bourne, so I prefer to use the most efficient means available to me.

LOL

Windsor, MO

#14 Feb 18, 2013
MOGunny wrote:
<quoted text>
Up until you come up against that one person that has you cornered with no where to go, and is in possession of a weapon(knife, gun, club) wishing to do you harm. You will then wish you had the gun.
According to a national study conducted in 2010 by the Uniform Crime Reporting (UCR) Program, a violent crime is committed in the United States approximately every 30 seconds. That's nearly 1.3 million violent crimes each year! The Journal of Criminal Law and Criminology estimates firearms are used every 13 seconds to prevent a crime. That's an additional 2.5 million crimes each year that are prevented by law-abiding gun owners who refuse to be victimized by criminals.
Now I do not advocate anyone living their life in fear and becoming a hermit as you would probably have them do. But I do suggest that everyone realize the potential to be a victim is there and act accordingly with whatever level of personal protection training BEST suits them. If you feel it is staying in shape, so be it, your choice not mine. I personally think that mentality is lacking. I have never seen anyone outrun a bullet. Have you ever heard the old addage "you don't bring a knife to a gun fight"?
Of coarse I am not John Rambo, or Jason Bourne, so I prefer to use the most efficient means available to me.
You spent a lot of time to say that I am so scared, that I want to carry a gun. When is the last time you felt threaten in Rolla?
MOGunny

Clinton, MO

#15 Feb 18, 2013
LOL wrote:
<quoted text>
You spent a lot of time to say that I am so scared, that I want to carry a gun. When is the last time you felt threaten in Rolla?
Not exactly.
I spent alot of time saying I am knowledgeable enough to know that bad things happen to good people. And I prefer to take a personal responsibility for the safety of myself and my family.
Now You can do what ever the hell you like with yourself and your family, because frankly, it is of no concern to me if you or yours lives or dies. Sorry but that is just human nature. I will think it is a shame if something does, but I will not lose any sleep over it. I probably just use it as a teaching tool to someone else as a reason to always be armed.
And just what does Rolla or any other location have to do with anything? Are you suggesting that violent crime is non existant in Rolla? Or that ones business does not take them to other locations?
Killa the Constipated

Salem, MO

#16 Feb 18, 2013
MOGunny wrote:
<quoted text>
Not exactly.
I spent alot of time saying I am knowledgeable enough to know that bad things happen to good people. And I prefer to take a personal responsibility for the safety of myself and my family.
Now You can do what ever the hell you like with yourself and your family, because frankly, it is of no concern to me if you or yours lives or dies.
Sorry but that is just human nature. I will think it is a shame if something does, but I will not lose any sleep over it. I probably just use it as a teaching tool to someone else as a reason to always be armed.
And just what does Rolla or any other location
have to do with anything? Are you suggesting that violent crime is non existant in Rolla? Or that ones business does not take them to other locations?
Trouble is you put my family in more danger in the event of an accident or shootout than any risk of an armed villain in Rolla. It is my right not to allow openly carried or concealed weapons on my property or in my business.

Conceal and carry was voted down by the Missouri electorate, but the government knowing better than the people legalized it. Crime was supposed to drop because criminals would one too afraid to act out. There has been no reduction like our state legislature promised.
Duke

Rolla, MO

#17 Feb 18, 2013
MOGunny wrote:
<quoted text>
Not exactly.
I spent alot of time saying I am knowledgeable enough BLA BLA BLA....

Now You can do what ever the hell you like....BLA BLA BLA...
You need you shut your grocery hole, you silly dooshbag. Shut your flapping jaws and pound sand up your hiney hole.
idk

United States

#18 Feb 18, 2013
LOL wrote:
<quoted text>
you will die first when a druggie or a killer comes to your car wanting money or your life me ill just blow them a new ass and still be alive

Rolla, MO

#19 Feb 18, 2013
Killa the Constipated wrote:
<quoted text>
Trouble is you put my family in more danger in the event of an accident or shootout than any risk of an armed villain in Rolla. It is my right not to allow openly carried or concealed weapons on my property or in my business.
Conceal and carry was voted down by the Missouri electorate, but the government knowing better than the people legalized it. Crime was supposed to drop because criminals would one too afraid to act out. There has been no reduction like our state legislature promised.
Yes, Killa, that is your right. Just like it is the right of people like us to carry if we want, either open or concealed, if we want. Concealed carry is more popular, for obvious reasons, and in high crime areas it actually has produced a noticable drop in crime stats. In fact, thousands of crimes every year are prevented and never reported, according to the FBI and DOJ, by citizens who deined it wise to carry a firearm.
Duke

Rolla, MO

#20 Feb 18, 2013
MoKidd22 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, Killa, that is your right. Just like it is the right of people like us to carry if we want, either open or concealed, if we want. Concealed carry is more popular, for obvious reasons, and in high crime areas it actually has produced a noticable drop in crime stats. In fact, thousands of crimes every year are prevented and never reported, according to the FBI and DOJ, by citizens who deined it wise to carry a firearm.
deined? You make up facts like you make up words.

And you're another who need to put a sock in it. Shut up, little man.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rolla Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
K&A Quality Junk Auto (Jan '12) 1 hr Scrottymcfuckfuck 24
cole nash 1 hr fact 2
Dead beat moms. (May '14) 2 hr yourdaddy 45
Choices 4 People 2 hr Soybomb 12
Mexico/All inclusive 2 hr kcchief 2
Headlines Salon-New Salon (Jan '14) 3 hr Spooner 21
cox 4 hr Purina 19
Walmart Distribution Center good place to work? (Jun '12) Apr 15 truly-blessed08 322
More from around the web

Rolla People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]