Weight Watchers...
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“What shall we do today Pinkey?”

Since: Jun 08

Back Woods USA!!

#1 Aug 19, 2008
Who on here has tried weight watchers? Did you like it and did it work for you?

Since: Jul 08

Rogersville, TN

#2 Aug 19, 2008
I have been on Weight Watchers a couple of times. For me, it worked well until I lost weight and stopped. As soon as I stop any weight loss program, I gain back all my weight and sometimes more. This usually happens faster than I got it off.

I think if you do not suffer from what I call "Diet ADD" it may work well for you. When I say this, I don't mean that I can't follow the diet. I can follow any diet very strictly. In fact, a few years ago I lost 100 pounds. My problem is that if I'm not going 100%, then I'm not going at all. I need something to MAKE me behave.

Since I do suffer from this affliction, I am currently looking at having the Lap Band. You may not have as much to loose as I do, but this seems to be a good permanent solution for me. I have over 100 pounds to lose though.

Back Woods USA!!

#3 Aug 20, 2008
_Ladybug_ wrote:
I have been on Weight Watchers a couple of times. For me, it worked well until I lost weight and stopped. As soon as I stop any weight loss program, I gain back all my weight and sometimes more. This usually happens faster than I got it off.
I think if you do not suffer from what I call "Diet ADD" it may work well for you. When I say this, I don't mean that I can't follow the diet. I can follow any diet very strictly. In fact, a few years ago I lost 100 pounds. My problem is that if I'm not going 100%, then I'm not going at all. I need something to MAKE me behave.
Since I do suffer from this affliction, I am currently looking at having the Lap Band. You may not have as much to loose as I do, but this seems to be a good permanent solution for me. I have over 100 pounds to lose though.
Since no one on here knows me I will explain my situation to you. I currently weigh 180 and would like to lose down to between 130 -150 I lost weight before with L.A. weight loss but it was so strict and you had to cut out everything it is basically a very low carb and very high protein diet which isnt good on your body you can develope ketoacidosis where you spill urine out in your urine. So I thought that with weight watchers I could still enjoy the things I like as long as I stay with in my range. I dont quailfy for the lap band but being a nurse I would recomend it before I would gastric bypass I have taken care of those patients and things can get bad very quick. Good luck to you

Back Woods USA!!

#4 Aug 20, 2008
I meant protein in your urine

“My opinion is just that..mine!”

Rogersville

#5 Aug 20, 2008
My hairdresser and her friends go to weight watchers at the city school on Tuesdays at 5 or 530 and they look terrific. They told me you don't buy the food there, but get points on what you eat or something. I would like to lose down like you also, I was like 186 and would like to be maybe 140 or so, I know it would be tough but would feel a lot better. Check it out they said there are about 15 people going at this time. you can call two seven two zero one two three and ask for Diane she could tell you more. Like I said, these ladies look awesome!!
Losing weight

Nashville, TN

#6 Aug 20, 2008
Have you ever considered NutriSystem? I know that most stuff on tv is a sham. Trust me, it works. I took my chances on it and have lost 15 pounds in just over a month. You eat their entrees and add your own salad and vegtables. The food is not that bad. Some of it, I didn't care for, but you can always change your next month's order. It took about a week to get used to and now it is really easy and you fill full after eating. Another good thing is for all you that have busy schedules. On those evenings where it would be easier to run through McD's or Golden Dairy, NutriSystem plus salad and veggies only take about 5 min. to prepare. Another good thing is that you only have to buy certain things from the store: Fruit, veg's, salad, milk, juice. It cuts your grocery bill way down. The entire NutriSystem cost is around 300 bucks for guys and 260 for women. The dudes get an extra dessert during the day.

Back Woods USA!!

#7 Aug 20, 2008
Losing weight wrote:
Have you ever considered NutriSystem? I know that most stuff on tv is a sham. Trust me, it works. I took my chances on it and have lost 15 pounds in just over a month. You eat their entrees and add your own salad and vegtables. The food is not that bad. Some of it, I didn't care for, but you can always change your next month's order. It took about a week to get used to and now it is really easy and you fill full after eating. Another good thing is for all you that have busy schedules. On those evenings where it would be easier to run through McD's or Golden Dairy, NutriSystem plus salad and veggies only take about 5 min. to prepare. Another good thing is that you only have to buy certain things from the store: Fruit, veg's, salad, milk, juice. It cuts your grocery bill way down. The entire NutriSystem cost is around 300 bucks for guys and 260 for women. The dudes get an extra dessert during the day.
Thanks for the reply but I cant afford that due to the fact that I have me, my husband, and my 2 kids to feed that is why I was leaning to the weight watchers cause I a can eat what they eat but count the points vaule.
just some info

Martin, TN

#8 Aug 20, 2008
Big Lots now carries a decent selection of NutriSystem products.Most of the food is $2 or $3 per meal. I have done Weight Watchers in the past and it is $12.00 a week. You may also consider the weight loss clinic on depot street. The cost for the pills is between $70 and $80 per month. You can lose alot of weight that way, but there are some pretty rough side effects when you first start taking them. I took them for several months and lost 30 lbs. For a couple of weeks I was real shaky and horribly thirsty!! The problem with a diet like that is that when you stop taking them, you usually gain all of the weight back. Weight Watchers is a great program if you can stick with it because it teaches you how to eat better!!! I hope this helps.
Pills arent the answer

Mountain City, GA

#9 Aug 20, 2008
Those pills are phentermine, which is the pill that was mixed with the pondimum( not sure about the spelling) which caused such a scare a few years ago, however, those pills can cause irreversable heart valve damage. Altho, now they only give you the phentermine without the little orange pondimum pill.The heart valve damage is no laughing joke an these pills should not be taken lighty.Once this damage happens you have little time of life left there is no cure and death is at your door. There has been shows on this "magic" pill from Maury to Oprah, and Dateline. I would encourage everyone to inquire and research before taking any "magic pill".I would strongly suggest you ask your regular doctor before visitng a weight loss clinic that makes their profits from selling you their "magic" pill. Typically at these clinics you see their nurse practioner, not a doctor. At the clinic you will be asked to sign a paper to release them from being held accountable should you succumb to the heart valve damage.
I would recommend going to a work out facility. Golds Gym is nice or Curves ( for women only )is wonderful if your self conscience about exercising around people such as the slim trim women in tight clothing or the male gender. I go there by preference and its affordable and I enjoy it! Jolynn the owner is awesome and her employees are very friendly and encouraging. Weight takes time to take off,If you will take time for yourself , it will happen, slowly yes but you can work on yourself and healthier eating habits as well. After all arent you worth the time to invest in yourself?
cherokee

Lebanon, TN

#10 Aug 20, 2008
I recommend Weight Watcher's. I went on it about three years ago in April and by September I had lost 98 pounds and all the exercise I done was I walked three miles a day. I still went to resturants and just counted every point that I put into my mouth. I've stayed that way. You just get into the routine of counting your points and watching what you eat just gets easier as time progresses. What I like about it is that you don't have to cook special foods; you eat the same foods that you prepare for your family. Good Luck "for the love of nursing".
cherokee

Lebanon, TN

#11 Aug 20, 2008
Excuse me that should be "restaurant".
Losing weight

Nashville, TN

#12 Aug 20, 2008
just some info wrote:
Big Lots now carries a decent selection of NutriSystem products.Most of the food is $2 or $3 per meal. I have done Weight Watchers in the past and it is $12.00 a week. You may also consider the weight loss clinic on depot street. The cost for the pills is between $70 and $80 per month. You can lose alot of weight that way, but there are some pretty rough side effects when you first start taking them. I took them for several months and lost 30 lbs. For a couple of weeks I was real shaky and horribly thirsty!! The problem with a diet like that is that when you stop taking them, you usually gain all of the weight back. Weight Watchers is a great program if you can stick with it because it teaches you how to eat better!!! I hope this helps.
I did the weight loss center for about a year. Lost around 45 pounds and after I stopped going, ended up gaining all the weight back plus more. I know someone that actually had a mini stroke that was contributed to the phentermine pills. Those pills are not the way to go... They can actually make you have mood swings that make you very aggressive.

Back Woods USA!!

#13 Aug 20, 2008
You cant take the phenetermine if you take antidepressants due to the potentially fatal results. And the heart valve problems are enough to scare anyone into no taking them. But keep the comments coming.

Rogersville, TN

#14 Aug 20, 2008
Well, I have done LA Weightloss and the phentermine pills, too.(Interesting to know I wasn't supposed to take them because I DO take anti-depressants.) I got these from my doctor though, not through a weightloss clinic.

With LA Weightloss, I lost 100 pounds in 7 1/2 months. I followed their plan very strictly. I also nearly died (no exaggeration) and gained ALL the weight back. My blood pressure and heart rate dropped dramatically and I was passing out. I ended up having my gall bladder out and had an ambulance ride on atropene (sp?) just to keep my heart going. My husband asked them to take me to Kpt. since I had been here locally several times and they couldn't figure out what was wrong. They told him he would have to pay for it...insurance wouldn't cover. He said okay, but when they got my vitals in the bus, they told him I would not make it to Kpt. With all that being said, you do lose the weight with LA Weightloss, but there was not enough careful supervision for me. I need a doctor's care.

Thanks "For the Love of Nursing" for your advice on Lap Band vs. Gastric Bypass. I can't imagine myself having something that major done, but I am willing to try the Lap Band. For me, that is drastic enough, but I need something drastic if I don't want to develop Type 2 Diabetes...I'm already insulin resistant.
weight watchers

United States

#15 Aug 20, 2008
weight watchers is the best and healthiest

Columbia, TN

#16 Aug 20, 2008
how does the weight watchers program work. do they go by you weight and BMI or they just assign you points to go by? I have eaten some of the dinners they have at walmart and they are really good. I am a meat and potato kind of gal and I was shocked they tasted so good!

Back Woods USA!!

#18 Aug 20, 2008
Blue grass fan , they have changed the way you calculate your daily points value you answer these questions and that gives you a value then you add the value for your daily points then you have an xtra 35 you can use thru the week or on one big meal. you do not have to use the 35 if you dont want to and the more exercise you do you get points and every food has a points vaule or you have a points finder. I know all this sounds confusing but it isnt

Since: Aug 08

rogersville

#19 Aug 20, 2008
I've been on WW for a few months now. It's really easy to do if you stick to it. My friend has lost 30+lbs since we started, I've only lost 15+/-, but I'm nowhere near as "good" as she is. I like to eat!
Your points value is based on your current weight, height, age, and sex. You also get 35 "extra" points to use or not each week. You MUST eat all your daily points in order to lose weight. They also have the "Core Plan". With this plan you eat all you want from choice foods (mostly fruits and veggies), until you're full. You have those extra 35 each week on this plan too for things like bread other carbs. You gain points for excercising to, you add those back into your daily total allowance. THere is a membership fee to join plus a weekly fee of $13.00 ( I think). YOu must pay even if miss a meeting too. Once you reach your target weight and maintain it for 6 weeks, you are a lifetime member. This means you weigh in 1x/mon. and as long as you're within 2 lbs of target weight, you do not pay . You have to purchase your books that list points values and such. The best offer is to do the MOnthly Pass. It's $39.99 /mon. charged to a credit card and includes free access to e-tools (WW online).
Sorry so lonG, hope this helps!
fifties lady

Smyrna, TN

#22 Aug 21, 2008
I have tried almost every diet that is out there over the last 20 years. Some worked, some didn't, but nothing lasted for me because I could not stick to it. I would lose and regain more every time. That was not an error on the diets part, but my own. I did go for gastric bypass and I have been fortunate that I have not had any serious complications at all. It has worked for me (I am 4 years out) and I have kept the weight off, knock on wood please-LOL-but even with that it is only a tool and how I choose to use it is up to me. I am definately NOT encouraging anyone to go to the extreme I have, but it is what gave me my life back.
I highly recommend anyone trying other things that are doctor approved and monitored before they consider any of the weight loss surgeries.
I personally know many who have had great success with Weight Watchers and sthe program has survived while many others have not. That should speak for the program. Good luck to you!

Since: Aug 08

Lebanon, TN

#24 Aug 22, 2008
Twinki wrote:
I hope you hawgs stop eatin cause I is in danger around a bunch of big ole nasty lookin hillbillys. How about getting off the couch and moving around instead of putting more candy bars in your mouth. Oh lets go to the buffet and eat like a pig but yet I had a diet Coke.
Wow! How imaginative you are! You are a frekin geniouse, how come no one ever thought of that before?
Stupid, stupid, stupid, oh, did I say stupid!

I heard ugly goes to the bone.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rogersville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
I was in Rogersville 5 min Bam 3
State Representative 18 min Anyone 43
West main street 35 min Hellooo 2
cooper standard automotive (May '13) 1 hr Silver 38
Washerwoman 1 hr Realist 1
Michelle Obama's speech at the GOP Convention 2 hr Again 12
Hillary is a Diabolical Narcissist and WANTS to... 5 hr Just the facts 6

Rogersville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance