TBI PROBE

Kingsport, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 18, 2013

http://www.timesnews.net/article/9063812/doub...

Allegations of double dipping on county school payroll. Surprise, surprise.
Wonder if anything will come of this one or if they'll sweep it under the rug like the teacher sending sexy texts to the 17-year-old students. Supposedly the TBI is looking into both.
THANKS

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 18, 2013

Judged:

Or the commision bribe case. may need a probe of the probe.
Yeah Right

Kingsport, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 18, 2013

Judged:

Double dipping for $46 per day. That's a laugh. You couldn't pay me enough to drive those little booger eating dilinquants and future penatentiary inmates back and forth to school.

Hawkins County should be thankful it has employees willing to do that terrible job, rather than running to the TBI and trying to get them locked up in prison. Some of those kids belong in prison, not the bus drivers.
citizen

Kingsport, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 18, 2013

if they were not satisfide with the pay , they should not have applied for the job ...youre right about wild heatherns ..... the parents riased them that way ..
Kevin

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 18, 2013

Judged:

How are the drivers finished with their routes by 7:30 and on the shop floor? Buses do run up close to 8:00 in some cases. In a sense, that does seem like double-dipping.

Also, at $46 per day, how does day translate into hours?
Bulldog

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 18, 2013

Judged:

Commissioner Gilliam has said that he is on his job at work from 7:00 AM until 3:00 PM. The school buses pick up students from about 6:30 AM until 7:30 AM and school lets out at 3:00 PM. There is no way he can be at his job from 7:00 AM until 3:00 PM and still be driving a bus. He is just one of the many suspects.
Kevin

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 18, 2013

Thanks for the reiteration.
Thought

Kingsport, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 19, 2013

Didn't the present County Mayor drive a bus while principal at Mooresburg?
TBI

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 19, 2013

Judged:

have they ever brought charges against people in this county? and when are we going to demand that our elected officals do not work for the county or city government.
Say what

Silver Point, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 19, 2013

Judged:

What about all the county commissioners who also have county jobs? Do they get paid when they are at commission related meetings, where they are also paid as county commissioners...just wondering.
THEY HAVE A JOB

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 19, 2013

Judged:

Say what wrote:
What about all the county commissioners who also have county jobs? Do they get paid when they are at commission related meetings, where they are also paid as county commissioners...just wondering.
That allows them to control their pay and rules of their other j0b as well as controlling the jobs of their bosses.
Krazy

Kingsport, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 19, 2013

Why do the teachers and cooks and maintenence got to drive the bus on top of their regular job too? Why not sub contract outside drivers? sounds to me like these people SHOULD get paid an extra 46 bucks if they gotta drive a bus and to their regular job too even if they have to show up 30 minutes late due to driving the bus.
Eternal Skeptic

Alexandria, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 19, 2013

Judged:

Gentle readers and fellow finger-pointers, inquiring minds, and searchers of truth...

I'm not going to turn this into a spreadsheet set of calculations, but there is a case to be made that teachers, cooks, janitors, and maintenance personnel driving school buses for part of the day actually SAVES the county taxpayers money... PROVIDED THAT appropriate internal timekeeping controls exist, and to ensure the bus-driving wages are paid in accordance with the legally-compliant compensation plans approved by the Board.

I don't know the rules, but it's plausible that bus drivers are paid by the day or route (not by the hour). If good weather allows a bus route to be completed in 45 minutes, but in snowy weather the route takes 60 minutes, I'm guessing the driver doesn't get paid for an extra 15 minutes work. Bottom line, taxpayers should ask first... how are bus drivers compensated, by the hour or by the day/route? If the answer is the latter, then there is no issue here. If the answer is the former, and the bus drivers are fudging their time cards, then let the 'cards'(no pun intended) fall where they may.

The savings to which I alluded to earlier in this post come from having one less employee (bus driver) to maintain on the payroll. There is an inherent cost associated with recordkeeping, insurances, administration, reporting, and all the statutory baloney that comes with hiring a person, no matter the job. If you allow an existing employee to drive a bus rather than hiring someone new, then you save that 'overhead' or 'burden' and that is a plus.

Lastly, my opinion in having County Supervisors also being employees of the county is definitely going to go against common practice, not just for Hawkins County, but for many rural counties where the good-ole-boy-n-girl network remains the established norm. County Supervisors should NOT be employees of the County UNLESS and UNTIL rules exist or are created that those supervisors who are also employees cannot vote on any budgetary decisions, compensation decisions, personnel actions (hiring/firing), or any other possible conflicts of interest that may come before the governance boards. From a standpoint of transparency and eliminating the appearance of conflicts of interest, those that set tax rates, develop and approve budgets, authorize appropriations and expenditures, and make hiring/firing/disciplinary decisions related to personnel should NOT be in a position to benefit from their own decisions, not even a little bit.

The reason we let it continue in Hawkins County comes down to a few factors, lack of a fully informed voter base, lack of interest by too many voters, poor understanding of the taxation/budgeting/spending process and how it affects individual taxpayers, and general don't-give-a-tinkers-cuss attitude towards government. Everyone complains, but few even understand how the machinery works.

Yeah, I live in a dream world, but that's my take.

Opposing viewpoints always welcomed. Don't applaud, just throw quarters.
Ashley Moore

Kingsport, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 19, 2013

Mr. Gilliam has had his records checked after checked time after time and has always been honest and clean. They checked them last yr. I talked to him about this cause we are kin, and when he and all other county commissioners are on county time THEY HAVE TO USE A VACATION DAY (hours) to attend the meetings. WAIT TIL THE TBI ends its investigation until you all run your NON SENSE MOUTH... have a wonderful day JACK
Krazy

Kingsport, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 19, 2013

I think they should of done more research before terminating him.
HCS

Inman, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 19, 2013

Judged:

Hawkins Today Paper said SHEDDAN was the cause of this ans he was boss up the maintence dept. Is it a conflict of interest that his wife is on the SCHOOL BOARD? and why didn't he put a stop to it earlier if he knew??
dude

Kingsport, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 19, 2013

Bulldog wrote:
Commissioner Gilliam has said that he is on his job at work from 7:00 AM until 3:00 PM. The school buses pick up students from about 6:30 AM until 7:30 AM and school lets out at 3:00 PM. There is no way he can be at his job from 7:00 AM until 3:00 PM and still be driving a bus. He is just one of the many suspects.
7:30a.m to 3pm. not 7... can you read BullSh!t?? I mean bulldog
line

Cornelius, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 20, 2013

Bottom Line....There Aren't Enough Bus Drivers To DRive The Number Of Buses Needed To Get The Children To School. Also, I Know Of Many Drivers That HaveTo Return To Work To Get Additional Work Done. If Driving These Buses Were Easy And Paid Lots Of Money, There Wouldn't Be A Problem Of Needing To Hire Those Already Employed.
Pink Trapeze Monkees

Johnson City, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 20, 2013

Judged:

line wrote:
Bottom Line....There Aren't Enough Bus Drivers To DRive The Number Of Buses Needed To Get The Children To School. Also, I Know Of Many Drivers That HaveTo Return To Work To Get Additional Work Done. If Driving These Buses Were Easy And Paid Lots Of Money, There Wouldn't Be A Problem Of Needing To Hire Those Already Employed.
I agree. If kids had to walk to school they might appreciate their bus drivers more. I used to drive a school bus in Hawkins County and I was verbally abused by students, threatened, shot with spit wads, gang raped three times, and stabbed in the eye with a pencil before I quit. That was the roughest week of my life. My wife told me to report it to police, but I didn't want to be labled as a complainer.
A Local

Johnson City, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 20, 2013

Based on the described facts, there is obviously a small amount of overlap. Busses are not put away and the person on the job a minute after dropping the kids off. Busses are not gassed up and in queue to pick kids up a minute after the end of the school day. Probably there is 30 minutes at each end taken away from the regular duties.

It makes sense to have bus drivers have a second job in the middle of the day since the job of bus driver has such an inconvenient schedule with a big hole in the middle.

However, the hour they are paid for at their regular job that they are not working that job because they are getting the bus or putting it away, they should make up after finishing up with the bus route.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

31 Users are viewing the Rogersville Forum right now

Search the Rogersville Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Steve Starns wants tax increase 15 min wonder 12
batman/fundraiser 2 hr Kathy Christian 7
Man Drives Car Into Jail 2 hr eye 1
feds quietly dump hundreds of illegal immigrant... 4 hr light bulb 15
Big Brother 16 11 hr DonnaT 49
TN Should state mandate immunizations? New require... (May '11) 11 hr Zeke 8,982
Free Fish and Fries Saturday 12 hr Voter 1
Ross or Raines For Sessions Court Judge 12 hr just me 125
•••
•••
•••
•••

Rogersville Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Rogersville People Search