WWRT

Winchester, TN

#42 Apr 20, 2012
I say wrote:
The pastor from Higher Ground has already sent an apology to Persia Baptist Church saying he had been misinformed.
Is Higher Ground preacher going to come down and talk to Persia Baptist Church and do it face to face.
Old Redneck

Kingsport, TN

#43 Apr 20, 2012
I can't wait to become a CHRISTIAN because there are a few people I want to talk bad about and by reading all this bull I can tell that Christians do it better than anybody else. I would like to visit this church but before I do, can somebody tell me if boxing gloves are furnished or do I need to bring my own. It is easy to see that this church is a great witness to the area and is filled with loving people. Are all christians like you all, if so who would be intereste in becoming one? You all should be ashamed for putting this stuff on topix. As for me I think I'll just stay in the bars,the people in there seem to be of better character than some in the church. You all need to get a hobby or spend time doing what real Christians do,not trashing a Preacher on topix.
Curious

Bristol, TN

#44 Apr 20, 2012
Old Redneck wrote:
I can't wait to become a CHRISTIAN because there are a few people I want to talk bad about and by reading all this bull I can tell that Christians do it better than anybody else. I would like to visit this church but before I do, can somebody tell me if boxing gloves are furnished or do I need to bring my own. It is easy to see that this church is a great witness to the area and is filled with loving people. Are all christians like you all, if so who would be intereste in becoming one? You all should be ashamed for putting this stuff on topix. As for me I think I'll just stay in the bars,the people in there seem to be of better character than some in the church. You all need to get a hobby or spend time doing what real Christians do,not trashing a Preacher on topix.

I was thinking the same thing. Couldn't have said it any better.
Wondering

Columbia, TN

#45 Apr 20, 2012
I hadn't heard anything about this and don't know the people involved. I'm just trying to figure out what is going on from these comments.

This is my understanding from the comments. Is it correct?

So Persia had a Pastor John who is married to a Teresa who works at the Mayor's office.

He worked at Persia for 9 years, and was dismissed this year for unspecified reasons. It is fairly common for churches to dismiss pastors from time to time for various reasons. Someone named Jim was also dismissed at this time.

Persia gave him $9,000 in severance pay, including continuing to pay his housing and utilities for 3 months while he found new arrangements.

He then turned up at Higher Ground Church, where the pastor there made a statement that he had been wrongly dismissed by Persia without cause and was not given severance. It is not clear what the source of his information was for this or if it was corrected by John or Teresa afterwards. That pastor then gave him a check for $5,000. Presumably this second pastor now understands that he was misinformed. It is unknown if he has publicly apologized and corrected the misinformation he communicated during the service where he gave the money.

So is this correct? Have I got all the pertinent facts?
PVC5

United States

#46 Apr 20, 2012
Wondering wrote:
I hadn't heard anything about this and don't know the people involved. I'm just trying to figure out what is going on from these comments.
So Persia had a Pastor John who is married to a Teresa who works at the Mayor's office.
He worked at Persia for 9 years, and was dismissed this year for unspecified reasons. It is fairly common for churches to dismiss pastors from time to time for various reasons. Someone named Jim was also dismissed at this time.
Persia gave him $9,000 in severance pay, including continuing to pay his housing and utilities for 3 months while he found new arrangements.
He then turned up at Higher Ground Church, where the pastor there made a statement that he had been wrongly dismissed by Persia without cause and was not given severance. It is not clear what the source of his information was for this or if it was corrected by John or Teresa afterwards. That pastor then gave him a check for $5,000. Presumably this second pastor now understands that he was misinformed. It is unknown if he has publicly apologized and corrected the misinformation he communicated during the service where he gave the money.
I think that right.
sick of it

Novato, CA

#47 Apr 20, 2012
Jim left on his own accord.
Old Redneck

Kingsport, TN

#48 Apr 20, 2012
Well Well, Seems as though Wondering has several so called facts that I didn't read I topix. I could have over looked all this new stuff or,Wondering could be one of the Preacher Trashers. Where did Wondering get all that information? Hum, got me wondering now
Wondering

Columbia, TN

#49 Apr 20, 2012
sick of it wrote:
Jim left on his own accord.
Wow. OK, if that is true that sure does change things. A lot.

If that is true, the solicitation of donations under the pretense that one was unjustly dismissed is a criminal case of fraud. The key here being if it is true, it would be amazing to think anyone is that bold and without shame.

Not that it sounds like anyone would be charged if it turned out to be true. Theft from churches with a wink and a pat on the back seems to be something of a local pastime.
Wondering

Columbia, TN

#50 Apr 20, 2012
"Wondering has several so called facts that I didn't read I topix"

Is that so? Please state which ones.
Old Redneck

Kingsport, TN

#51 Apr 20, 2012
sorry wrote:
higher ground pastor said:john &teresa stayed and talked after service and did not mention severance package from Persia Baptist
How do you know what they talked about? Maybe a little bird?
Wondering

Columbia, TN

#52 Apr 20, 2012
Here we go. Please confirm whether or not each statement is sourced by comments in this thread. If you find that each statement is sourced by comments, please retract your accusations against me and apologize. Thank you in advance.

Source: Post 13, 18

He worked at Persia for 9 years, and was dismissed this year for unspecified reasons. It is fairly common for churches to dismiss pastors from time to time for various reasons.

Someone named Jim was also dismissed at this time.

Source: Post 12

Source: Post 19 has specifics of severance package and 25 confirms that they had one

He then turned up at Higher Ground Church, where the pastor there made a statement that he had been wrongly dismissed by Persia without cause and was not given severance.

Source: Video from post 17 shows the actual service so we know absolutely it is true.

It is not clear what the source of his information was for this or if it was corrected by John or Teresa afterwards.

Source: Post 20 posts that John or Teresa probably corrected him. Post 22 says that they stayed and talked and did not correct him.

That pastor then gave him a check for $5,000.

Source: Video from post 17 actually shows this happening so we know absolutely it is true.

Presumably this second pastor now understands that he was misinformed.

Source: Post 20, and was confirmed in a later comment.

It is unknown if he has publicly apologized and corrected the misinformation he communicated during the service where he gave the money.

Source: This is a question not a claim, but was answered in a later comment 22 that was not corrected and 39 says the pastor has in fact publicly apologized to Persia and states he was misinformed, but not by who.
truth

United States

#53 Apr 20, 2012
McPheron asked to resign, very legitimate reasons.
Severance of approximately $13,000.00 over a 3 month period, ending June 30. Has occupancy of parsonage until June 30, with PBC paying his utilities. How many people are even given a severance when they are dismissed? This should prove the love the people at PBC hold in their hearts. The only way the information given to Dooley, passed on to Hoskins by Dooley, is by the words from the mouth of McPheron. PBC is alive and well and will be blessed by God for its faithfulness. Just sorry this wasn't done some years ago.
Wondering

Columbia, TN

#54 Apr 20, 2012
Forgot one source:

He worked at Persia for 9 years,

Source and correction: This was from the other thread here on this topic and actually said 10 years.

and was dismissed this year for unspecified reasons.

source: it's the topic of this entire discussion

It is fairly common for churches to dismiss pastors from time to time for various reasons.

source: this is just common knowledge and not "insider information"
love

United States

#55 Apr 20, 2012
AMEN AND AMEN.
criditt

Johnson City, TN

#56 Apr 20, 2012
Wondering wrote:
Wondering has more than just curiosity at stake. This person knows they can be exposed.
Don't set yourself Topic Poster's!!!
Huh

Sharon, SC

#57 Apr 20, 2012
criditt wrote:
<quoted text>Wondering has more than just curiosity at stake. This person knows they can be exposed.
Don't set yourself Topic Poster's!!!
Exposed for what? Speaking the truth that persia did the obviously correct thing?
Wondering

Columbia, TN

#58 Apr 20, 2012
Exposed? Do you mean me or do you mean one of the pastors? What is there to expose?

I posted a summary of claims made in this thread and asked if it was an accurate summary of what was going on.

The responses seem to be that it is accurate, except that the pastor actually resigned, and also that severance was $13,000 not $9,000.

I have no idea whether any of this is correct beyond what is in the video I saw for myself.

There's a lot of claims being made here, I organized them and restated them and asked if it was correct. I was then accused of some sort of subterfuge and having secret information beyond what was posted. I posted a detailed list of exact posts where each statement came from and requested an apology from my accuser. He wasn't enough of a man to own up to his mistake and now it looks like "someone else" has taken his place in making accusations against me.

Let me ask you this. What's your angle? How are YOU involved?
Wondering

Columbia, TN

#59 Apr 20, 2012
Here's an updated summary with the corrections added. Please let me know of any further needed corrections.

Persia had a Pastor John McPheron, husband of a Teresa who works at the Mayor's office in some capacity.

Pastor McPheron worked at Persia for 10 years. He asked to resign for very legitimate reasons which are currently unspecified but may have had to do with heart problems.

Someone named Jim was also left the church at this time, apparently this is an unrelated matter though.

Persia gave him $13,000 in severance pay, including continuing to pay his housing and utilities for 3 months until June 30, 2012.

He then turned up at Higher Ground Church on April 15, 2012, where Pastor Hoskins made a statement during service that he had been wrongly dismissed by Persia and was not given any severance. Pastor Hoskins then gave him a check for $5,000. It is presently unknown why Pastor Hoskins believed that Pastor McPheron was dismissed or that he received no severance. One source here says that Pastor Hoskins says neither John nor Teresa corrected this information when they talked with him following the service. Pastor Hoskins has since come to understand that he was misinformed about the situation, and he has sent a written apology to Persia Baptist.

Since then, Pastor McPheron has offered to return the $5000 but was told by Pastor Hoskins that he could keep it.
Wondering

Columbia, TN

#60 Apr 20, 2012
All right, I just noticed more in post 53 there.

Pastor Hoskins's source was someone named Dooley. It is presumed Dooley got his information from Pastor McPheron. This is an assumption though. It is also possible this Dooley person heard a story from someone who heard it from someone else and it got passed along and distorted.

Pastor Hoskins may be innocent in all this. Consider this. Perhaps he didn't know why he was invited to Higher Ground. His wife did seem shocked and genuinely surprised in the video. They should have corrected Pastor Hoskins statements but perhaps they were confused or in shock, or thinking of other things while he was talking.

If McPheron had directly told Hoskins he needed money and lied about the circumstances of his dismissal, as people are assuming, then yes, that is fraudulent. But now it seems there was a person Dooley that told Hoskins, not McPheron at all. And it seems possible that Hoskins did not verify the information with McPheron before calling him forward. Perhaps he wanted the donation to be a complete surprise.

With this revelation about Dooley, I am not convinced that there is anything bad here at all other than Hoskins jumping to conclusions about Persia. Presumably he trusted the story from Dooley, who may have been confused by the rumor mill. Hoskins has apologized so it seems his part in this is resolved. Regarding McPheron there is not a clear cut case at this time that he did anything wrong, especially since he offered to return the money when after it became clear that it was donated because of reasons that were not correct, because of what Dooley had passed on.
Wondering

Columbia, TN

#61 Apr 20, 2012
Sorry, there's a typo there.

Paragraph 2 should start "Pastor McPheron may be innocent in all this."

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rogersville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The final day!!! 1 hr Trump Is President 14
Jason Alexander (Nov '10) 3 hr Ashley 55
Mamie Shrader 3 hr Family friend 6
Tax Increase Question 6 hr Confused 7
Holston electric 7 hr Question 2
Trump's response to Meryl Streep 8 hr Really 37
frenchie is snitching 12 hr Watch Out 1

Rogersville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance