Comments
21 - 40 of 116 Comments Last updated Oct 4, 2012
yuck

Kingsport, TN

#21 Sep 27, 2012
Have u ever noticed the owner going around to the different dishes and reaching in with his dirty hands and getting food and sticking it in his mouth. can u say cross contamination. NOT 4 ME
simple truth

Kingsport, TN

#22 Sep 27, 2012
I have been several times, and I have always had a good experience. The setting and atmosphere is very appealing, and it makes for a unique dining experience. The prices are very reasonable, the food good and the service is good. I would highly recommend it.
simple truth

Kingsport, TN

#23 Sep 27, 2012
And another thing I would like to mention. Complaining about the nominal charge for water is really a trivial matter. If you have ever operated a small business you would readily understand just how tight profit margins are to come by, especially in the restaurant business. I believe the good people there need to be commended and supported, not criticized over such a trivial matter. Good grief.
Norm

Thomasville, NC

#24 Sep 27, 2012
simple truth wrote:
And another thing I would like to mention. Complaining about the nominal charge for water is really a trivial matter. If you have ever operated a small business you would readily understand just how tight profit margins are to come by, especially in the restaurant business. I believe the good people there need to be commended and supported, not criticized over such a trivial matter. Good grief.
At almost every sit down restaurant, water is offered in addition to any other beverage you chose. Fifty cents isn't much money for anything anywhere, but if a restauantier feels the need to charge for tap water, maybe it's time to consider hanging it up. Bottled water, I can understand, but not tap, filtered or not.
lonestar

Kingsport, TN

#25 Sep 27, 2012
Most sit down restaraunts do not charge for water, I think Jake might want to re-think that one, however what was the circumstance? Were you there to eat or did you pop in for a glass of water, that does make a difference. Even the mexican restaurant GIVES you chips and salsa with the intent of you eating there, if you don't they may charge you for it!
Fed up

Thomasville, NC

#26 Sep 27, 2012
I quit going a year ago when I noticed a waitress carrying my food out had her thumbs stuck in our food. Then she would just wipe the food on her apron. Maybe if he charged for water then, he could have bought some trays to carry the food on. By the way, she doesn't work there anymore. Which brings up another observance, he sure does hire some doozies.
A First

Johnson City, TN

#27 Sep 27, 2012
This is the first time I have ever heard of a restaurant charging for a glass of water(other than fast food, which provides a cup, lid, etc.). Such a charge may seem trivial to some, but it speaks volumes to others. Something that concerns me as a patron is the restaurant health inspection score. When a restaurant starts with a score in the 60s (several critical violations), I need to be convinced that they have (and will keep) their act together. I would rather have less atmosphere and more confidence that my food is properly cooked (always check health inspection scores and detail for violations related to having thermometers, properly thawed food, etc.) and that the pricing is fair.

There have been several eateries that were once "the" place to be that eventually fell by the wayside due to management issues or patrons eventually growing tired of it or finding something else they deem more unique. Someone may go open a restaurant in a cabin near the river that they claim is historic, have a mascot cat and be the next big thing. Bottom line - Business owners and staff can't take things for granted. Ultimately, customers will determine whether a place makes it or not.
Former customer

Kingsport, TN

#28 Sep 27, 2012
lonestar wrote:
Most sit down restaraunts do not charge for water, I think Jake might want to re-think that one, however what was the circumstance? Were you there to eat or did you pop in for a glass of water, that does make a difference. Even the mexican restaurant GIVES you chips and salsa with the intent of you eating there, if you don't they may charge you for it!
I went two weeks ago for lunch and noticed a charge of $.50 for a glass of water added to our bill.
justice

Kingsport, TN

#29 Sep 28, 2012
i've eat their worst food eaver,would rather eat at krystal.and i hate krystal.
Reputaion

Johnson City, TN

#30 Sep 28, 2012
Have any of you nay sayers ever run a business? Get a clue. Ever wonder why a business opens then closes in a few months? You have to make a certain amount of money to keep it going and keep good staff. It's expensive to own and operate a successful business.$.50 for water is no big deal for good food and good service. They are open Thurs, Fri, Sat, and Sunday. No place that under charges for everything is in business for very long. I don't eat there a lot, but the food has always been good and sometimes great. Maybe McDonalds is your best choice.
Realist

Johnson City, TN

#31 Sep 28, 2012
You guys are confusing. Half the time, you are chanting "we built it", and the other half of the time, you are tearing Mr. I built it a new a-hole.

Make up your mind, pick a freakin side already.
yeah

Talbott, TN

#32 Sep 28, 2012
I know a girl who worked there, and she told me that she had personally seen the dog be fed left overs at the end of the day out of the same trays your food is prepared in. Thus, I will not ever eat there, and I live fairly close by. I'm talking about the big pans it's made in, not what it's served on. Just a FIY.

She quit not long after that.
tightwad

Eastover, SC

#33 Sep 28, 2012
When ever I go out to an upscale restaurant I try to drink as much water as I can at home then I do without a drink with my meal. If you think its bad to eat from clean dishes that an animal has licked previously, think about your water that has been running for millions of years and has been in everything from dinosaur pee to a sewage treatment plant.
You think thats bad

Johnson City, TN

#34 Sep 28, 2012
Amis Milk Eatery tried to charge me a dollar because I said I was going to share my dessert with my wife. Something about having to charge for washing an extra dish, even though I didnt ask for another dish. I cancelled the order and havent been back. I wont let someone chisel me out of a dollar, just out of principal.
Chef 1

Goodlettsville, TN

#35 Sep 28, 2012
You think thats bad wrote:
Amis Milk Eatery tried to charge me a dollar because I said I was going to share my dessert with my wife. Something about having to charge for washing an extra dish, even though I didnt ask for another dish. I cancelled the order and havent been back. I wont let someone chisel me out of a dollar, just out of principal.
I'm guessing you don't get out much. Most of the "better" restaurants will always charge extra to split an entree or dessert. Repeat after me..."would you like fries with that?"
Just what I think

Kingsport, TN

#36 Sep 28, 2012
Several years ago there was a pretty bad dry spell here and you didn't get a water in an eatery unless you specifically asked for it. If Amis Mill is in such bad shape it can't give customers water, maybe that would be a better policy. And just a heads up to anyone who hasn't ever run an eating place, they make most of their profit margin on their drinks. Last time my family of four ate out taxes included the drinks added about $10 to the bill. We now order water.
Really

Johnson City, TN

#37 Sep 28, 2012
Chef 1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm guessing you don't get out much. Most of the "better" restaurants will always charge extra to split an entree or dessert. Repeat after me..."would you like fries with that?"
True, if 2 people share an entree, as in 2 people 1 plate, the restaurant will charge.

However, the husband ordered a dessert and mentioned he would share with his wife. I am presuming he intended more along the lines of giving her a couple bits. Totally different situation.

Also, Amis mills, to me, isn't a "better" quality restaurant. It's more like a overpriced burger bar.
Chef 1

Goodlettsville, TN

#38 Sep 28, 2012
If the husband intended to give his wive a "couple bits" then why would he even mention it to the waiter? My money is on it going something like "My wife and I are going to share a dessert, could you bring us two plates please?"
Nope

Hemingway, SC

#39 Sep 28, 2012
Been to every kind of restaurant out there. Never been charged for water except bottled. Never been charged to share a dessert. Most people DO share a dessert. In a restaurant you should feel lucky to sell one dessert per table. You get charged if, for instance, you are sharing a dinner and usually with that you will get an extra salad. It is called a share charge- runs about 3-5 bucks. That is to stop a family of four from coming in and ordering 1 meal and everyone eating it. That is reasonable because they are holding up a table. Most places won't charge the share charge if it is a small child sharing. Most places aren't THAT picky and have common sense enough to know when they are going overboard and what will and will not piss people off. And, what kind of place says they are charging to wash a dish? Tacky! Maybe the key for them is to only serve bottled water and then they can charge for it without embarrassing themselves. Bottom line, they are running a business and want to make money. But, you can't do that by charging for tap water and charging to share a spoon. Maybe train the staff to upsale the food, offer bottled water, or go up a small amount on entrees. There are other options.
You think thats bad

Johnson City, TN

#40 Sep 28, 2012
Chef 1 wrote:
If the husband intended to give his wive a "couple bits" then why would he even mention it to the waiter? My money is on it going something like "My wife and I are going to share a dessert, could you bring us two plates please?"
No. Just mentioned it conversationally. It turned me off to the restaurant. If I'd said nothing she could have had a few bites off my plate and no one's the wiser. Any way to gouge someone out of a buck. That's pitiful. I didn't let it happen, and I havent gone back.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rogersville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Kim Stapleton - 3rd offense DUI 56 min really 20
Cheating cops 1 hr Pretentious Much 4
TN Tennessee Hunting Rights Amendment (Oct '10) 1 hr Average 8,619
East Tenn. mom charged with abuse for allegedly... 2 hr Remedy 6
St. Clairs little diner 2 hr Shocked 25
Who is hiring! Please help me! 3 hr seriously 20
golden dairy 3 hr spelling police too 3
First Community Bank 14 hr Clyde 9
•••
•••