First Prev
of 3
Next Last
PLEASE THINK

Knoxville, TN

#1 Feb 16, 2013
They have the money and have had it long enought to get the sidewalk fixed....now it is so HISTORICAL(HYSTERICAL) they are going to leave it as is...when will the city get sued over someone hurt by this stupidy. I believe this was a safe schools grant..and when you have a side walk people cannot use...what is the hysterical issue?
Break a leg

Kingsport, TN

#2 Feb 16, 2013
The sidewalk will bring tourists in from all over the world. They'll be lining up just to see it. After all what else is there to see in Rogersville. I think it should get a liquor license.
Matt Basterson

United States

#3 Feb 16, 2013
Break a leg wrote:
The sidewalk will bring tourists in from all over the world. They'll be lining up just to see it. After all what else is there to see in Rogersville. I think it should get a liquor license.
Yes, they should have liquor by the drink, liqour stores, and all that. That way, maybe, just maybe, we could get a decent restaraunt to come to this town. I kinda doubt it tho. Don't think the nice places would come here even then.
Uhm

Kingsport, TN

#4 Feb 16, 2013
Liquor will not bring chain restaurant here. Population numbers simply will not support it.
PLEASE THINK

Knoxville, TN

#5 Feb 16, 2013
of the drunks they could not navigate this sidewalk. i know it is hard for some of you to stay on subject or just want to change the subject.
Uhm

Kingsport, TN

#6 Feb 16, 2013
Apologizes.... I will not let my kids walk home from school due to that rickety dangerous foolishness.

We are only a few towns remaining that still have this liable eyesore because other towns realized the danger of keeping such crap.

Some history should remain, the depot represents that timeframe. The stones that are breaking &uneven do not.

What I wonder us how some sections were removed in front of certain houses?
Reality Check

Piney Flats, TN

#7 Feb 16, 2013
They spend a few hundred thousand fixing those sidewalks a few years ago. The situation on Broadway was part of the amount they got for fixing sidewalks. After getting the money though suddenly they decided they wanted to spend it all on fancy brick sidewalks for the Downtown Merchants, and to tell with the people on broadway such as the school children trying to walk home without tripping.

It was fraud, but no one holds these people accountable.
Reality Check

Piney Flats, TN

#8 Feb 16, 2013
So Rogersville Historical Zoning Commission, and Steve Nelson in particular, are claiming that the sidewalk there is a historical treasure that was hand built by the original founders of Rogersville.

However, that style of paving was not used during that time period, so it's obviously false.

The Rogersville Historical Zoning Commission is a bunch of lunatics, thiefs and liars that are destroying this town. Do not support them or their businesses.
Uhm

Kingsport, TN

#9 Feb 16, 2013
Didnt RR article say that $8,000 would be due to pay for the engineering & such?

Uhm, who pays for that? Taxpayers? Is SN position appointed? & does it ever come up for consideration? He just seemed starch in response to trying to save them & move them.

I just find it strange that parts have already been removed. Does that mean city will take responsibility for damages encountered, example dr bills from sprain or break, should someone get hurt while simply walking on it? Seems to me by refusing to repair, replace or move they are doing just that.
Uhm

Kingsport, TN

#10 Feb 16, 2013
Shouldn't residents that removed the sidewalks in front of their house be fined or charged for messing with such historical artifacts?

Think if they are so significant that they should be publicized as destinations to visit.

Am getting off track, which I know some people HATE, but it is in the area of change in government and this foolishness.... But who is female that picked up petition to run for mayor? Paper didnt identify . Just wondered if it was a common sense person or another fanatic of lunacy,lol
more money

Kingsport, TN

#11 Feb 16, 2013
i have lived on broadway for a few years,and have seen no kids walking home from school,,had trick,or treater some....i dont want to spend money on the side walk,besides,no one uses the side walk any -way ,,,spend the money on the school security,,,,,get more cops,,,not more money for a side walk,and if you dont like the side-walk, dont walk there.....
Reality Check

Piney Flats, TN

#12 Feb 16, 2013
Uhm wrote:
Does that mean city will take responsibility for damages encountered, example dr bills from sprain or break, should someone get hurt while simply walking on it? Seems to me by refusing to repair, replace or move they are doing just that.
Yes, by publicly announcing that they are refusing to repair the public sidewalks, they are accepting full legal responsibility for all injuries. There's no personal injury attorney in Tennessee that won't be able to get a fat settlement out of the city of Rogersville now that they have established that failure to make the sidewalks safe is an intentional act, which puts them on the hook for additional damages beyond neglect and actual medical expenses and leaves the city open to punitive damages as well. This is an open and shut case.
Reality Check

Piney Flats, TN

#13 Feb 16, 2013
Also they will fail if they try to argue that they couldn't afford to, because the state gave them a huge grant ($229,000) that was several times the reasonable cost of repairing the broken sidewalks along broadway.
Uhm

Kingsport, TN

#14 Feb 16, 2013
more money wrote:
i have lived on broadway for a few years,and have seen no kids walking home from school,,had trick,or treater some....i dont want to spend money on the side walk,besides,no one uses the side walk any -way ,,,spend the money on the school security,,,,,get more cops,,,not more money for a side walk,and if you dont like the side-walk, dont walk there.....
Let me clarify this for you.. The reason you don't see children walking out Broadway is they have to walk down to McKinney and cross over one of the side street PAST the DANGEROUS sidewalk.

I know, my kids & neighbor kids have to. Would be easier to walk out Broadway but they can not navigate the unlevel sidewalk with the smaller kids.

Now you know
PLEASE

United States

#15 Feb 16, 2013
more money wrote:
the reason they dont walk there is because it is unsafe.
most likley

United States

#16 Feb 16, 2013
Uhm wrote:
Shouldn't residents that removed the sidewalks in front of their house be fined or charged for messing with such historical artifacts?
Think if they are so significant that they should be publicized as destinations to visit.
Am getting off track, which I know some people HATE, but it is in the area of change in government and this foolishness.... But who is female that picked up petition to run for mayor? Paper didnt identify . Just wondered if it was a common sense person or another fanatic of lunacy,lol
some histerical nut case or out of towner that came to save us from our stupidity...which they will never get elected to even start.
i think the city

United States

#17 Feb 16, 2013
Uhm wrote:
Didnt RR article say that $8,000 would be due to pay for the engineering & such?
Uhm, who pays for that? Taxpayers? Is SN position appointed? & does it ever come up for consideration? He just seemed starch in response to trying to save them & move them.
I just find it strange that parts have already been removed. Does that mean city will take responsibility for damages encountered, example dr bills from sprain or break, should someone get hurt while simply walking on it? Seems to me by refusing to repair, replace or move they are doing just that.
pays him around 40k a yr as inspector. about 10x others pay as with other city jobs.
Uhm

Kingsport, TN

#18 Feb 16, 2013
Isnt it some sort of conflict of interest that he is building inspector, employed by the town, and his position with in the historical association?
Uhm

Kingsport, TN

#19 Feb 16, 2013
Also, as building inspector shouldnt he be concerned with the safety issue that the sidewalk presents? Verse the historical significance that the rock may or may not exist?

Does documentation exist that back their claim of historical value?
comment

Madisonville, TN

#20 Feb 16, 2013
I don't think kids should walk to or from school on Broadway because the last block of Broadway doesn't have sidewalk on either side of the street.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rogersville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Chalk Up Another Loss for Obama - Our First Ack... 1 hr Debbie Wasserman ... 2
Replace Current EMA and 911 Director and their ... 1 hr saine41 8
Misinformed USA: Why average Americans vote GOP 2 hr billyG 8
Why do Republicans hate Jesus & Christianity 3 hr Shawn Hammtitty 1
where is TOMMY GIBSON (Nov '09) 9 hr Customer 34
wright wade and scott burns 10 hr crystal 16
david evans 10 hr hate pimple face 2
Dentist and daughter accused of TennCare fraud 16 hr tammy 7
Roger Stewart 17 hr Notdumb 25
Rogersville Dating