First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Here we go again

Maryville, TN

#1 Oct 30, 2007
Heard today from one of the workers at Big Lots that they were closing in the middle of January, 2008. Lack of business. Now we are going to be left with another empty building in Rogersville, as we continue the saga of WRGS, Watch Rogersville Grow Slow. I would have thought the Rogersville Review would go out before Big Lots, at least we are going to miss Big Lots and we would never miss the Review.
Charles Foster Cane

Knoxville, TN

#2 Oct 30, 2007
I sure hope you're wrong on this. Big Lots is my favorite store right next to Wal-Mart. I like shopping for out dated food there, get stuff real cheap. What with Christmas coming up where will I do the shopping? Shepards corner is too expensive.
Kandy

Knoxville, TN

#3 Oct 30, 2007
I emailed Big Lots corporate office today to encourage them to keep our store open. Here is the response I received...

Good afternoon! Thank you for contacting us. At this time, we are not aware of any store closings in your area, to include the Rogersville location. I apologize you were misinformed. Please let us know if you have any further questions.

Thank you!
Customer

Maryville, TN

#4 Oct 31, 2007
I was told at Big Lots myself that 7 big wheels came in and told them that the store was shutting down as of January 19th, 2008. If things have changed since then, the employees have not been told. As always sounds like the big wheels Kandy called may have not known what was going on, or they do a poor job communicating to the employees. Kandy, I sure hope by you emailing them did not entice them to change a corporate decision, and what difference would you remotely think by doing that would help is beyond me.
Big Brother

Dillon, SC

#5 Oct 31, 2007
Charles Foster Cane wrote:
I sure hope you're wrong on this. Big Lots is my favorite store right next to Wal-Mart. I like shopping for out dated food there, get stuff real cheap. What with Christmas coming up where will I do the shopping? Shepards corner is too expensive.
Man did you get that right. Seems that the last couple of years Shepards Corner has gotten ridiculous with their prices. Kind of hard to figure, the building was given to them, the merchandise is 98% given to them, and then they go out and charge prices that people won't even pay at garage sales. Guess it's no wonder most of their merchandise just sit's on the shelf. The other problem is the employee's get first shot at the good stuff that comes in. So they serve themselves first, then the needy. Kind of ironic. Sure hope Big Lots doesn't leave. Maybe we should all write Corp. Headquarters and protest.
Kandy

Knoxville, TN

#6 Oct 31, 2007
Customer wrote:
I was told at Big Lots myself that 7 big wheels came in and told them that the store was shutting down as of January 19th, 2008. If things have changed since then, the employees have not been told. As always sounds like the big wheels Kandy called may have not known what was going on, or they do a poor job communicating to the employees. Kandy, I sure hope by you emailing them did not entice them to change a corporate decision, and what difference would you remotely think by doing that would help is beyond me.
Do you propose that the community do nothing? Just let them close without at least trying to keep them here?

If the business community/Chamber had done nothing to try to prevent this what would you have said?

It is very difficult to get businesses to come in, so the better cause of action would be to keep the ones we have.
Citizen

Knoxville, TN

#7 Oct 31, 2007
I myself will not miss them if they leave, last time I was in there, I could get around for the stuff in the aisles. By the way Kandy, I sure your call made a VERy big impact in making a corporate decision and made them change their minds. Yeah Right! Like if you decide to close your business, I'll call you and ask you not close, for the sake of the community, please stay open for us.
possum

United States

#8 Oct 31, 2007
Kandy,YOU kept Big Lots from leaving! My wife is threatening to divorce me.Maybe you could call her?
Charles Foster Cane

Knoxville, TN

#9 Oct 31, 2007
Candy thank you for keeping Big Lots here. Now I can get Halloween candy tommorrow for next year real cheap.
Hats off

Miami, FL

#10 Oct 31, 2007
At least Kandy took action instead of spreading gossip and slinging mud on here.
harley

Kingsport, TN

#11 Oct 31, 2007
if they close maybe the bma of rogvegas may take it for a city pd since the county got kmart for whatever.this town doesnt want anything in it.
Waldo

Kingsport, TN

#12 Oct 31, 2007
Hats off wrote:
At least Kandy took action instead of spreading gossip and slinging mud on here.
True, at least she made an effort. Which is more than most people on here do.
Customer

Knoxville, TN

#13 Nov 1, 2007
FYI, Big Lots had decided to close and leave Rogersville. And they had told their employees and it did spread in town very fast. The closing date was to have been 01/19/08. I have been told by employees of Big Lots after fierce negotiations with the Landlord, that the Landlord have given them a 12 month lease, with the first 6 months lease payments being excused. They are going to be bringing in a team of so called professionals to help market their store in the area to try and promote business. At the end of 6 months if sales have picked up and Big Lots is seeing greener pastures, they will start paying their lease payment, otherwise they have the option of closing earlier than the 12 month lease. Sort of a win win situation (rent free for six months) for Big Lots the next 6 months which would not start until 01/20/08. So it seems they may be going to be here for a while longer.
Kandy

Knoxville, TN

#14 Nov 1, 2007
Hey, this shouldn't be about me! Let me clarify my part: Because I am a business owner, I was one of MANY that were asked to email Big Lots Corporate office. It was a "Business Community" effort to save one of our own.

I don't know about you, but I can't afford to pay more property tax. And property taxes will go up when the sales tax base shrinks!!!

Some of you need to get out of reverse, and help those wanting to move forward. It is a long, rough, and bumpy road, but I am sure you could contribute if you wanted to.

“Ow3n”

Since: Oct 07

American Computer Techs

#15 Nov 1, 2007
Which people are of greater value in any community, the ones who speak up and take actions reflecting their beliefs in building a better community?...
...Or the trolls sitting on the sidelines who offer nothing but scorn and derisive comments?

Hint: It's people like Kandy who build communities and people like the trolls who let it fall into disrepair or destroy them.
possum

Schuylkill Haven, PA

#16 Nov 1, 2007
"troll"? now I have a bridge to guard and only let you pass if you can solve a riddle,thanks to OW3n/Tim Carwile.Kandy, thank you for what you did.I agree,every store,business or company that leaves here is bad news(employees out of a job,higher taxes,and in this case,a convenience gone for us shoppers.)I was just trying to be funny,because all my wives are long gone and I DON'T want them back:)

“Ow3n”

American Computer Techs

#17 Nov 1, 2007
fed up wrote:
"troll"? now I have a bridge to guard and only let you pass if you can solve a riddle,thanks to OW3n/Tim Carwile.Kandy, thank you for what you did.I agree,every store,business or company that leaves here is bad news(employees out of a job,higher taxes,and in this case,a convenience gone for us shoppers.)I was just trying to be funny,because all my wives are long gone and I DON'T want them back:)
:) Marry a redhead... my wife promised to shoot me, rather than divorce me.. This is because she loves me and would not want to see me suffer... or so she assures me... Having watched my parents divorce, my brother get divorced, my sisters get divorced, my friends get divorced...and seen their pain.. I'm thinking being shot might have it's advantages :)

Lordy Lordy

Knoxville, TN

#18 Nov 1, 2007
Ow3n wrote:
<quoted text>
:) Marry a redhead... my wife promised to shoot me, rather than divorce me.. This is because she loves me and would not want to see me suffer... or so she assures me... Having watched my parents divorce, my brother get divorced, my sisters get divorced, my friends get divorced...and seen their pain.. I'm thinking being shot might have it's advantages :)
People in your family can't get along with anyone can they?

Please don't take that seriously. Just good ol' front porch humor.

“Ow3n”

American Computer Techs

#19 Nov 1, 2007
I've a fondness for humor and can see the humor there :) It takes a lot worse than I've seen on the Rogersville forum for me to take it as a personal insult....
In all honesty, the answer would be you are correct. None of their first marriages made it even 10 years, some of their second marriages didn't last 5 years, a couple of third marriages didn't even make it through one year... I never seen such a pack of can't get it right couples in my life, as those in my family...

...and I will tell you this... I learned through observation of their painful divorces that I wanted to marry once, do it right and do my best to see it it remain a happy marriage. Been nearly 35 years and still going strong :)
I believe as long as your wife still has fire in her eyes, then you must be doing something right. The day you look up and see the fire has gone out, they look down at their feet instead of into your eyes and heart... well then you've lost something more precious than all the money in the world.
Kandy

Knoxville, TN

#20 Nov 1, 2007
Ow3n & fed up, You guys are hoots! Thanks for making me laugh!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rogersville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Trump tax plan another con job 1 hr Trump is President 6
Hawkins county Sargent shown drinking on Facebook? 3 hr Told ya 2
Call for help! 4 hr hmmmm 1
Narc 8 hr Making America GREAT 28
News Crime 44 mins ago 12:22 p.m.Rogersville pediatr... 10 hr Yep 71
becky roberts that did live in carters valy wit... (Jul '11) 10 hr Pissed off employee 14
Who buys broken tvs (Sep '13) 16 hr Baba 226

Rogersville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Rogersville Mortgages